none
Secure Download Manager

Question

• Hello,

i'm student and have permission to MSDN AA.

When i use SDM (Secure Download Manager) i have problem with my computer. For example "Start download" and than finishing 70-80% of download my computer hover and influence memory to 3.99 GB / 4.0GB and some time i can't work with my computer. 

It's disturb my, why it's to slow my computer and increase memory......

Monday, October 08, 2012 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can also try to download it with another computer to check the result.

In addition, please check whether this issue occurred when download specify file or all the files.

Also, boot to the Clean Boot mode for a test.

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:04 AM

All replies

• 1. For MSDN AA or Dreamspark solve your problem with your administrator.

2. I would recommend to check if you have enough space. In this case it is at least twice that of resulting ISO file. (First the encrypted file is downloaded and decrypted, usually in c:\TEMP folder.)

3. Also try Firefox instead of IE.

4. Check if other students have the same problem.

5. Rarely there were problems with routing.

6. If nothing helps, try to download requested file from http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/WEB/ (This is legal site supported from local MS representative.)

Rgds

Milos

Monday, October 08, 2012 8:46 PM
  • 1. I think what my administrator don't know about this problem.

2. I have 40GB free space

3. How i can use *.sdc with another browser? Because than click on sdc file will start IE and start download.

4. Don't know students what use MSDN AA in our university

5. Maybe......

6. Thank you for link ;)

Monday, October 08, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can also try to download it with another computer to check the result.

In addition, please check whether this issue occurred when download specify file or all the files.

Also, boot to the Clean Boot mode for a test.

Hope this helps

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:04 AM
  • Hi all,

I've found a possible solution for extremely slow download speeds.

possible cause under Windows Vista, 7, 8 is TCP/IP version 6 and/or QoS enabled in your network adapter.

If you encounter a slow download, e.g. 10% of what you expected, then try the following:

1. First of all, closing opened applications is recommended.
    2. Open Network Properties (Start > Network > Rightclick > Properties)
    3. Open "Adapter Settings" at the left side of the dialog
    4. Locate the adapter that you are currently connected with your Internet. In most cases this is the "Local Area Network" or "Wireless Network"
    5. Rightclick > Properties on the adapter
    6. Disable the checkboxes in the dialog for "QoS" and "Internet Protocol Version 6"
    7. Apply dialog with OK
    8. Rightclick > Properties on the adapter, then "Disable" (you will loose internet connection)
    9. Rightclick > Properties on the adapter, then "Enable" (you will soon be reconnected)

I don't use an english version, so some names may vary.

You can easily undo the steps again, just enable the checkboxes again.

Effects:

Before the increase, my Windows 7 setup (3 GB) download didn't finish within 15 hours.

After the increase it finished 7% of the whole download within few minutes.

Side effects:

Disabling TCP/IP version 6 will probably have no effect on > 95% of all computers.

Disabling QoS (quallity of service) may have effect on some computers (approx 10%) causing worse performance duriing realtime conversations such as Skype, video conferences etc.

I am a little bit of disappointed from Microsoft in using that Secure Download Manager. This is not the quality and experience that I know and expect from Microsoft for so many years. Nevertheless, special thanks to Microsoft for the great products.

Best regards, Kadir

Friday, January 04, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Same thing with me. Quick search on the internet shows that this is a common problem: SDM consumes all available RAM.
    Monday, April 01, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Same thing with me. Quick search on the internet shows that this is a common problem: SDM consumes all available RAM.

About a year later, and it's still like this. Halfway through downloading it's using 97% of my 4GB ram and computer is crawling because of lack of free memory. As soon as it finally finishes, bam, memory usage drops to normal. Come on microsoft, fix your SDM coding please..
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:44 PM