none
Computer losing disk space

Question

• I have been having problems with low disk space for a week or so.  I have Windows 7. I've found files named nCoreNDB with the extensions from 1 to 188.  Dated in the past few days.
    nCoreNDB.1
    nCoreNDB.2 etc all the way up to 188.  Most are around 187,000 kb
    They are in c:/users/myname/local settings/Application Data/temp/nCoreTMP
    There are about 8 Application Data folders, one under the other so the files repeat themselves 8 times.
    Any idea what these files are?  Google shows nothing.
    Thanks
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

i think i found one possible culprit here.

I´m running POPCon PRO 3.81 (Exchange POP3 connector / POPconSrv.exe -service) on one of my 2008R2 servers.

I also found eight files (nCoreNDB.1 / nCoreNDB.2 ... ~1.5 GB in size) in "c:\windows\temp\nCoreTMP" on this server and wondered where these are coming from.

The last file with the highest number (nCoreNDB.8) was updated every few minutes (file change date).

I stopped the POPCon service, deleted the whole "c:\windows\temp\nCoreTMP" directory and restarted the POPCon service.  Right after the service started, it recreated the nCoreTMP folder and when the first mail via POP3 was downloaded a file called "nCoreNDB.1" using 216 MB was immediately created.

As far as i know POPCon is using the Nicta Antivirus engine (http://www.nictasoft.com/) therefore i suppose that these guys are creating the subdir/files. When i stop the POPcon service all nCoreNDB.* files will be deleted but the subdir nCoreTMP will stay.

So if you have any doubt about this first check if this could be the case ... at least it solved it for me :)

Regards
    Gerd

Keywords: windows\temp filling up windows temp ncorendb ncoretmp large files

Friday, August 09, 2013 11:34 AM

All replies

• 1. Can you retrieve some data on the files?

2. Can you get into file (Edit)?

3. Go to Safe mode and remove files. If simple delete does not work, use elevated prompt.

4. Alternatively you may do forrensics with your applications and sites visiten on Internet.

Rgds

Milos

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:37 AM
  • I can't get anything to open the files or see any data.

I have deleted the files with no adverse effects.

The multipication of directories/files came about by my removing permission restrictions in the Application Data dir.

The only mystery now is what the nCoreNDB files are and where they came from all of a sudden.

Monday, December 17, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

They locate in the local settings/Application Data folder, this should be related to your software or game. Please check the software and game which you installed recently.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Goto local disk, click properties and run clean up wizard. This would del any files that are still in recycle bin/dumps/old files etc
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:02 PM
  • I now have the same problem. I've established that the nCoreNDB files started to appear on 6 Dec 12, finally causing my computer to warn me I was losing valuable disk space on 18 Dec 12. My "ccCleaner" programme removes all but the most recent ones but new ones still appear every day.

The only automatic update that has taken place on or about 6 Dec was for my HP Printer driver programme. Coincidence? 

How do I stop the nCoreNDB files?

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:58 AM
  • Check your permissions in  c:/users/myname/local settings/Application Data/

I had previously changed the permission to everyone instead of restricted.  I don't even know why I did it but I don't like my computer telling me I don't have permission to view my own file directories :)

If you can get in without being logged in as administrator, you need to change permissions.  It fixed mine.

I know it wasn't a game that made those files because I don't play games on my computer.  I really did nothing that I know of any differently.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 10:13 PM
  • sft,

Have you tried an internet search with the offending files name?  One of the internet search engines should give you some results, or try the others.  

Alternatively, have you done a regedit search ("Find) for that file?  

Is it in the startup items in msconfig?  Just uncheck.

Do a "search for files" find the location and what the file is linked to.  Is it important enough to let run?  The search should point you to all occurences for that file and the program(s) that it is associated with.  You don't need them..."Programs and Features" removal would be my choice.  Or, Revo uninstall...good free program, I'd try Win 7's "Program and Features" first though as it remembers the install paths and registry entries on the removal of the program.

hope this helps,

horatio

Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:43 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem as you. Each nCoreNDB.1 through 1003 is 185MB each. Really no answer out there from a search and think this started after an update too.
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Anyone else having this problem and using Stop Sign anti virus? I just uninstalled it,  I think the files were coming from there.  I noticed one instance of the files was a dir called sstemp.  The only thing I could see that started with ss was Stop Sign.  I disabled it first and the files quit being createdat least so far. 
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:59 PM
  • Hi there,

i think i found one possible culprit here.

I´m running POPCon PRO 3.81 (Exchange POP3 connector / POPconSrv.exe -service) on one of my 2008R2 servers.

I also found eight files (nCoreNDB.1 / nCoreNDB.2 ... ~1.5 GB in size) in "c:\windows\temp\nCoreTMP" on this server and wondered where these are coming from.

The last file with the highest number (nCoreNDB.8) was updated every few minutes (file change date).

I stopped the POPCon service, deleted the whole "c:\windows\temp\nCoreTMP" directory and restarted the POPCon service.  Right after the service started, it recreated the nCoreTMP folder and when the first mail via POP3 was downloaded a file called "nCoreNDB.1" using 216 MB was immediately created.

As far as i know POPCon is using the Nicta Antivirus engine (http://www.nictasoft.com/) therefore i suppose that these guys are creating the subdir/files. When i stop the POPcon service all nCoreNDB.* files will be deleted but the subdir nCoreTMP will stay.

So if you have any doubt about this first check if this could be the case ... at least it solved it for me :)

Regards
    Gerd

Keywords: windows\temp filling up windows temp ncorendb ncoretmp large files

Friday, August 09, 2013 11:34 AM