none
Windows XP Hard Drive Size Limit

Question

• What's the scoop on hard drive size limits?

I have heard there is a 2TB limit.

Does that apply only to the system drive?

I am running XP Home SP3 32 bit and using a 3TB external USB drive for backups and storage only, no system.

It is recognized in Disk Managment as 3TB and MBR type. Also recognized in Windows Explorer.

I can write to, read from and access files on this drive.

So where is this 2TB limit?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You heard correct in relation to the 2TB limit.

On the external hard drive that you have which is 3TB, Is that a single partition formatted at 3TB or is it more than one partition?

The root of this is Windows XP x86 is MBR only meaning that the limitation is to do with MBR

Disks exceeding 2TB must use GPT which extends the limit significantly, however Windows XP does not have this support currently.

A 32 bit version of windows generally will only see the protective MBR on a GPT disk.

Information on Windows Disk support can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463525#removablemedia

Or course, that being said, I have seen external drive manufacturers combining a GPT loader in with their drives which will allow Windows XP x86 I/O on a drive greater than 2TB, this may be the case in your situation. The GPT loader I have come across is called Paragon GPT loader. I would imagine this would cause lag on I/O as it is another stack process.

If you wish to share the make/model of the disk drive, I can further research it for you.

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Hello, Martin,

The drive in question is a Western Digital My Book Essential. It is connected via USB.

Windows Disk Management shows it as a single partition of 3TB and an MBR boot type.

As mentioned originally, I am accessing it apparently normally.

I don't know another method of checking partitions. I tried Windows "diskpart.exe" but have trouble getting that to provide what I want. I'd like to "see" if it has more than one partition.

I am aware of a Western Digial Answer ID 2754 that speaks of the 2TB limit.

However, I'm not clear as to whether this limit only applies to drives which must be bootable and maybe does not apply to drives used as storage only, as mine is.

Is the Master Boot Record (MBR) even used on storage only drives?

Thanks for any suggestions, opinions or whatever.

Dick

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:48 PM
  • XP is not EFI aware so it cannot do much with the MBR limit (2 TB)

I suggest that given XP is near the end of the road, a new rig with Windows 7 is not a bad choice

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. My Page on SSD is now #2. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Thursday, August 11, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Hello, Vegan,

Every site I visit tells me that I cannot use a drive in XP over 2TB.

Well, my XP is apparently aware of my 3TB USB drive.

I can write to it and read from it.

Can anyone explain that?

No one has yet.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:02 PM
  • likely the USB disk has a virtual server on the logic board to solve the problem

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. My Page on SSD is now #2. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:16 PM
  • I believe you've got it.

Here is a Western Digital forum post that explains it (I think).

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/Exceeding-2Tb-limit-questions/td-p/234694

Dick

Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:25 PM
  • WD uses larger sectors as one way to solve the problem. Once XP support ends the need for such arcane practices will be reduced.

Vista x64 and Windows 7x64 can use the larger disk native even with 512 byte sectors by using GPT

http://www.windows-it.tk/wp/disk-limits.html

• Proposed as answer by Vegan FanaticMVP Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by PcPotato Saturday, August 13, 2011 7:45 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Hi Dick,

Apologies for the delay responding.

It appears that the WD Smartware application provides a 3rd party solution to Windows XP x86 to perform I/O @ 3TB as per http://www.clicklinkbelow.com/archives-125-western-digital-mybook-essential-3tb.html

As for how this works, im afriad you would need to address that with the good folks at WD

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:20 AM
  • I have windows xp pro 32 bit and installed 3 hard drives already 

250 GB IDE

320 GB SATA

1 TB WD SATA

Now i want to ask, is my condition applies to 2TB limit.  I want to put a 2 TB drive for only storage. Can anyone tell that if windows xp support it or not.

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:27 AM
  • With XP connected to a datacenter, its able to use storage in large amounts. The 2TB limitation is due to the MBR for boot only.

Slave disks may be subject to the same MBR problems

a server does not present a MBR as such, it only fulfils requests

Corsair Carbide 300R with window
    Corsair TX850V2 12V1 70A
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI
    AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz
    G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB
    EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature
    Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p
    ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 x64 Professional
    LG WH14NS40 14X Blu-Ray Writer BDXL 128GB
    Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000
    Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:51 AM
  • The MBR has 4 bytes to address sectors on a hard drive.  That allows 256^4 -1 = 4,294,967,295 (4G) sectors.  At 512 bytes per sector, that is 2TB.  At 1024 bytes per sector, that is 4TB.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:56 PM