none
What is the EISA Partition on my drive c:?

Question

•  

I am trying to put linux on a partition on my harddrive so I can use both Vista and ReD Hat when needed.  I am trying to install Linux but I get an error about unable to allocate / partition.  Apparently this is becuase I already have 4 primary partitions on my harddrive.  A 94MB EISA partition, a 10GB Recovery partition labeled Drive D:, a 264GB OS partition labeled Drive C: and a 2.5GB partition with no label.  Obviously I can't "get rid of the Drive D: or Drive C: partitions but I don't know what the other two are, or if I can get rid of one of them so I can assign a new primary partition to the 27GB

chunk of unallocated space I have available to use.  I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS Laptop with 3GB of RAM and a single 320GB harddrive.  Does anybody know if I can delete either of these two partitions without

harming Vista?

Thanks so much,

Brent Mossberger

bmossberger@gmail.com

Friday, November 07, 2008 11:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Brent

I don't have a clue as to what the purpose of those 2 partitions would be?

The EISA partition 'might' be associated with the recovery options that were installed by the manufacturer.

Were they there when you purchased the computer?

If they were, you might want to ask the manufacturer of the system.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 5:33 AM
  • The following articles might be helpful.

Problems Managing EISA Partition on Dynamic Disks

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242168

eisa partition on dell laptop

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/682286.html

Monday, November 10, 2008 4:31 AM
  • I am suffering from somewhat related challenges I might say rather than problem.

Om my new Vista machine (Acer-X3200) there is an Eisa volume of 11 GB.

I was able to add a volume to the C drive which was 143 GB originally and now is 100, the new F drive is 43.

After installing Ubuntu 8.10 beta I am suffering from undetectable hardware such as my Video, so I end up in basic command mode where I get stuck.

The new F volume is NFTS, maybe that causes some of the misbehaviour, but in Vista I see no therw means of formatting otherwise.

Other installations like Limewire(no longer supported) gave you the chance, to format to other, more applicable Linux formats, during the insallation.

Maybe other Linux tastes do the same??

Anyway, good luck with solving your end,

Friday, November 21, 2008 8:35 PM