none
WAIK vs MDT 2010 - Any comparison to read?

Question

• Greetings,

I'd like to ask to the Deployment Gurus where to find something to compare both tools, WAIK 2.0 and MDT 2010.

Regards and thanks in advance.
    W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP hope my computer won't crash! ;)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:13 PM

Answers

• MDT 2010 adds to Windows AIK. In fact MDT 2010 is a showcase of best practices using the AIK to automate Windows deployment.

You will notice that Windows AIK does not work without the AIK. It uses the AIK tools to do its job.
    Ray
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:15 PM
  • As VistaGuyRay said, MDT 2010 uses WAIK 2.0 under the hood and it must be installed to use MDT 2010.  WAIK tools are very important to know, but honestly, spend your time getting to know the MDT.  MDT builds on WAIK tools and more importantly, makes many of the steps and procedures automated.  I helps you build a deployment setup, helps you import your OS, all of that.  MDT 2008 and earlier made you do a little work on the setup side to get some stuff like bitlocker config and Windows Deployment Services running but once you did it does a lot of it for you.

My advice?  MDT hands down.  Spend your time there.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:57 PM

All replies

• MDT 2010 adds to Windows AIK. In fact MDT 2010 is a showcase of best practices using the AIK to automate Windows deployment.

You will notice that Windows AIK does not work without the AIK. It uses the AIK tools to do its job.
    Ray
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:15 PM
  • As VistaGuyRay said, MDT 2010 uses WAIK 2.0 under the hood and it must be installed to use MDT 2010.  WAIK tools are very important to know, but honestly, spend your time getting to know the MDT.  MDT builds on WAIK tools and more importantly, makes many of the steps and procedures automated.  I helps you build a deployment setup, helps you import your OS, all of that.  MDT 2008 and earlier made you do a little work on the setup side to get some stuff like bitlocker config and Windows Deployment Services running but once you did it does a lot of it for you.

My advice?  MDT hands down.  Spend your time there.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Greetings,

VistaGuyRay and TowedJumper-3504, thank you very much for your replies.

Hands down to MDT. Awaiting for the official documentation to start my endeavor. Any link or could I start using the MDT 2008 Docs?

Best regards and thanks.
    W7 RTM x64 running along with Office 2010 x64 TP hope my computer won't crash! ;)
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:44 AM
  • Your best bet is to start downloading MDT 2010 RC from the connect website and use the MDT 2010 documentation.

I'm not sure if you can still enter the beta, but give it a try.
    Ray
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Greetings,

I already joined the MDT 2010 RC in the MS Connect Website. No documentation available for this version yet.

At least, I'm unable to find anything. Just a release notes document.

Regards, and thanks again.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:33 PM
  • If you install MDT2010 RC you'll notice a section Documentation in the Deployment Workbench. This contains all information you need to work with it.
    Ray
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Got it!

Thanks a lot. (again!)
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:06 PM