none
WmiPrvSE.exe very high CPU consumption on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Question

• I have a newly installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit that is often running very high CPU utilization and WmiPrvSE.exe is using 50% of the CPU or better continuously and constantly.

It seems that the system is good for a while and then something will drive WmiPrvSE.exe up to 50% and it stays there until I kill the process (although it always restarts itself and then promptly flies back up to 50%).

I haven't completely found the pattern, but I think it happens after I awaken the computer from sleep. Or, it may happen after I start up SQL Server Management Studio 2008 or the SQL Server 2008 default instance of the database engine itself (I have it set to Manual start up, not automatic).

This is very troubling and causing my system some grief as it is a modest system.

(Capture from System Information for Windows program SIW)

Property    Value
    Manufacturer    Compaq-Presario
    Family    103C_53316J
    Product Name    GX617AAR-ABA SR5310F
    Version     
    PC System Type    Desktop
    Machine Type    AT/AT COMPATIBLE
    Infrared (IR) Supported    No

Disk Space    Disk C: 84 GB Available, 223 GB Total, 84 GB Free
        Disk D: 1297 MB Available, 9554 MB Total, 1297 MB Free
        Disk E: 377 GB Available, 600 GB Total, 377 GB Free

Physical Memory    2048 MB Total, 669 MB Free
    Memory Load    67%

Virtual Memory    4095 MB Total, 1205 MB Free

PageFile Name    \??\C:\pagefile.sys
    PageFile Size    2047 MB
    In use    1160 MB
    Max used    1404 MB

The system clock interval    15 ms

Because I only have 2GB RAM, I typically don't have many programs running simultaneously and watch my physical memory usage through the Task Manager. I keep it between 50% and 75% physical RAM in use.

So, I think this is a bug in Windows 7 64bit.

*** Additional info: ***

I noticed I had 2 copies of WmiPrvSE.exe running. One was 64 bit and the other was 32 bit (since it had the Image Name in Task Manager listed as WmiPrvSE.exe *32) Is this normal? Should I have both a 64bit and 32bit copy of this exe running at the same time?

When I was simply killing the WmiPrvSE.exe task, the CPU would drop back to under 10% but only for a minute or two as the service would restart itself and then promptly go back to 50% CPU. However...when I killed the WmiPrvSE.exe *32 task and THEN killed the WmiPrvSE.exe task, only the WmiPrvSE.exe started back up and was only using a couple percent of CPU. Then it actually exited on its own a few minutes later (I just noticed it's not running in Task Manager anymore as I type this)

This is very odd behavior. Has anyone seen anything like this? What might be causing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:23 AM

Answers

• Sorry, I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum. It shouldn't be under the Windows 7 Virtualization forum. I re-entered it under the Windows 7 Performance forum.

• Marked as answer by Amarion Monday, October 26, 2009 5:01 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:58 AM

All replies

• Sorry, I mistakenly posted this in the wrong forum. It shouldn't be under the Windows 7 Virtualization forum. I re-entered it under the Windows 7 Performance forum.

• Marked as answer by Amarion Monday, October 26, 2009 5:01 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:58 AM
  • I have the very same problem,

Wmiprvse * 32 eating about 40% CPU all the time after a suspend to ram (S3 state) standby on Windows 7 64bits.

I can manually correct this behavior by deleting all files in windows\prefetch directory (it's safe to do this), as soon as the directory is empty wmiprvse goes back to 0.

Or killing the wmpnetwk.exe service (it restarts immediatly after but wmiprvse calms down), i completely uninstalled windows media player 11 in order to remove all WMP related service and see if it corrects this behavior. I have yet to determine if it's the root cause.

I'll let you know if i find anyhing else.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 8:19 AM
  • I am having the same exact issue and am also running Windows 7 Ultimate retail but mine is x86 rather than x64. I read on another forum that it might be helpful to run the below command to see what DLL's were running under wmiprvse.exe. I also have 2 instances of WmiPrvSE.exe running, but obviously both are 32-bit for me.

tasklist /M /fi "imagename eq wmiprvse.exe" > report.txt
    taken from this forum: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/32280-wmiprvse-exe-using-cpu.html
    The results are below:

Image Name        PID   Modules                                    
    =============== ============================================
    WmiPrvSE.exe     9896 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, KERNELBASE.dll,   
                                       ADVAPI32.dll, msvcrt.dll, sechost.dll,     
                                       RPCRT4.dll, USER32.dll, GDI32.dll, LPK.dll,
                                       USP10.dll, wbemcomn.dll, OLEAUT32.dll,     
                                       ole32.dll, WS2_32.dll, NSI.dll,            
                                       FastProx.dll, NTDSAPI.dll, NCObjAPI.DLL,   
                                       IMM32.DLL, MSCTF.dll, CRYPTBASE.dll,       
                                       ntmarta.dll, WLDAP32.dll, CRYPTSP.dll,     
                                       rsaenh.dll, RpcRtRemote.dll, wbemsvc.dll,  
                                       wmiutils.dll, WmiPerfClass.dll, pdh.dll,   
                                       wevtapi.dll, wmiprov.dll, esscli.dll,      
                                       mscoree.dll, SHLWAPI.dll, perfcounter.dll, 
                                       MSVCR80.dll, mscorwks.dll, Comctl32.dll,   
                                       mso.dll, msi.dll, CFGMGR32.dll, rasman.dll,
                                       tapi32.dll, SspiCli.dll, pcwum.dll,        
                                       netfxperf.dll, bitsperf.dll, esentprf.dll, 
                                       Secur32.dll, msdtcuiu.DLL, ATL.DLL,        
                                       MSDTCPRX.dll, MTXCLU.DLL, CLUSAPI.dll,     
                                       cryptdll.dll, RESUTILS.dll, VERSION.dll,   
                                       bcrypt.dll, ktmw32.dll, SHELL32.dll,       
                                       DNSAPI.dll, OLMAPI32.DLL, perfdisk.dll,    
                                       perfnet.dll, NetApi32.Dll, netutils.dll,   
                                       srvcli.dll, wkscli.dll, BROWCLI.DLL,       
                                       perfos.dll, perfproc.dll, sysmain.dll,     
                                       WTSAPI32.dll, SETUPAPI.dll, DEVOBJ.dll,    
                                       rasctrs.dll, winspool.drv, tapiperf.dll,   
                                       Perfctrs.dll, IPHLPAPI.DLL, WINNSI.DLL,    
                                       perfts.dll, WINSTA.dll, UTILDLL.dll,       
                                       LOGONCLI.DLL, SAMCLI.DLL, msscntrs.dll,    
                                       usbperf.dll, wmiaprpl.dll, loadperf.dll,   
                                       tquery.dll                                 
    WmiPrvSE.exe     7260 ntdll.dll, kernel32.dll, KERNELBASE.dll,   
                                       ADVAPI32.dll, msvcrt.dll, sechost.dll,     
                                       RPCRT4.dll, USER32.dll, GDI32.dll, LPK.dll,
                                       USP10.dll, wbemcomn.dll, OLEAUT32.dll,     
                                       ole32.dll, WS2_32.dll, NSI.dll,            
                                       FastProx.dll, NTDSAPI.dll, NCObjAPI.DLL,   
                                       IMM32.DLL, MSCTF.dll, CRYPTBASE.dll,       
                                       ntmarta.dll, WLDAP32.dll, wbemprox.dll,    
                                       CRYPTSP.dll, rsaenh.dll, RpcRtRemote.dll,  
                                       wbemsvc.dll, wmiutils.dll, cimwin32.dll,   
                                       framedynos.dll, SspiCli.dll, WTSAPI32.dll, 
                                       WINSTA.dll, DEVOBJ.dll, CFGMGR32.dll,      
                                       WMI.DLL, POWRPROF.dll, SETUPAPI.dll,       
                                       NETAPI32.DLL, netutils.dll, srvcli.dll,    
                                       wkscli.dll, SAMCLI.DLL, LOGONCLI.DLL,      
                                       BROWCLI.DLL, SCHEDCLI.DLL, DSROLE.DLL,     
                                       WINBRAND.dll                               

In my case, PID instance 9896 (the first one above) is the one that uses all my CPU (or 25% of my Core 2 Quad, i.e. one full core). I tried using the "Hog Killer " service created by someone to automatically kill WmiPrvSE.exe when it starts using all CPU but I don't think it works well with Quad Core procs... also, as is the case with Amarion, as soon as I kill it, it starts right back up. The only way I have been able to get rid of it is to stop the Windows Management Instrumentation process (you must also stop Security Center service when stopping WMI). This, however, is not recommended and I would prefer to not have to constantly stop the WMI service...

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this issue it would be most helpful! This has been a frustrating, ongoing issue since installing Windows 7 (fresh install)...

Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Update - looked for this post in the Windows 7 Performance forum and actually found my ANSWER!
    I finally found the culprit in my case: IMON manager.
    If by any chance you have an imon manager version 7.77.1022: it starts a wmiprvse.exe *32 for monitoring hardware all the time (even if you uncheck  the Hardware info box in frontview)

By killing Imon i can now put the computer in standby mode and getting it up without any problems.
    The wmiprvse behavior with imon will be corrected on november release (as seen on soundgraph forums).

Hope this helps.
    I also am running v7.77.1022 of iMon Manager and as soon as I stopped it, the WmiPrvSE.exe CPU time dropped all the way down. Thanks again!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Update - looked for this post in the Windows 7 Performance forum and actually found my ANSWER!
    I finally found the culprit in my case: IMON manager.
    If by any chance you have an imon manager version 7.77.1022: it starts a wmiprvse.exe *32 for monitoring hardware all the time (even if you uncheck  the Hardware info box in frontview)

By killing Imon i can now put the computer in standby mode and getting it up without any problems.
    The wmiprvse behavior with imon will be corrected on november release (as seen on soundgraph forums).

Hope this helps.
    I also am running v7.77.1022 of iMon Manager and as soon as I stopped it, the WmiPrvSE.exe CPU time dropped all the way down. Thanks again!

Happy you found the answer.

There is not many things that get on my nerves, but when someone wants help, then they find an answer in another forum, they inconsiderately don't leave a link for others.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:35 AM
  • I have recently started to exeperience the exact same thing, however no IMON or any funny software.  looked through all the forums.  Could not find a solution.  I have tried to see what internal process causes this, but to no avail. 

I managed stop this from happening by creating a workaround.  I discovered this by mere chance.  In my attempt to trace the cause I went through a process of elimination stopping and starting services.  uninstalling and re-installing apps (everthing appart from windows itself).

Workaround:

After booting up.  Stop and start the following services:

IP Helper , Security Center and Windows Management Instrumentation

Order is important as IP helper and Security center depend on WMI.

I have done this in a little BAT file.

This works for me. (Don't know why though)
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:09 PM

• Happy you found the answer.

There is not many things that get on my nerves, but when someone wants help, then they find an answer in another forum, they inconsiderately don't leave a link for others.
    Not a problem... also, for users of the iMON VFD or other iMON devices - keep up to date in their forums (www.soundgraph.com) because they have been updating the iMON software quite a bit recently and one of the new betas resolves the WmiPrvSE.exe CPU issue. So I am now able to keep it running without having the high CPU usage issues... hope this helps.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I have recently started to exeperience the exact same thing, however no IMON or any funny software.  looked through all the forums.  Could not find a solution.  I have tried to see what internal process causes this, but to no avail. 

I managed stop this from happening by creating a workaround.  I discovered this by mere chance.  In my attempt to trace the cause I went through a process of elimination stopping and starting services.  uninstalling and re-installing apps (everthing appart from windows itself).

Workaround:

Me again,

I since installed VMWare and had to stop and start "VMware Authorization Service" as well due to dependencies.

As this solves my problem I have stop looking for a solution, but Lonkny's post triggered an email, hence my update 

FYI my bat.cmd file content [remeber to run as admin]

net stop "IP Helper"
    net stop "Security Center"
    net stop "VMware Authorization Service"
    net stop "Windows Management Instrumentation"
    net start "Windows Management Instrumentation"
    net start "Security Center"
    net start "IP Helper"
    net start "VMware Authorization Service"

Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:29 AM

Workaround:

Funny, I stumbled across the same solution myself, but, since I am doing this manually, order is not that important since the dependent services are stopped automatically when you stop WMIPrvSE.exe. Then you can start any of the dependent services and WMIPrvSE.exe will be started as a prerequisite, automatically. So the simplified procedure is:

1. Stop WMIPrvSE.exe (the other two processes are stopped automatically)
    2. Start Security Center service (WMIPrvSE.exe is started automatically)
    3. Start IP Helper service

That's it - I have been doing this manually since before I upgraded from Windows Vista. I was hoping the issue would be resolved when I upgraded to Windows 7 but no such luck.

Sometime in the last couple of weeks, possibly after a Windows update, I started getting the following popup error message when I tried to stop the WMI service:

Windows could not stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service on Local Computer.
    The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error.
    If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

The workaround I found was to first disable the WMI service, then stop it, then set it back to Automatic and restart it, along with Security Center and IP Helper services. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to disable a process (or set it to automatic) via a batch file.

I realize that this is just a bandaid and it is getting to be a pain in the butt to go through this every time I boot. I would like to resolve the underlying issue which is making WMIPrvSE.exe consume excess CPU time in the first place, but I'm not sure where to start.

Any suggestions?

Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:11 PM
  • eegorr, I have encountered that message as well, but is usually when VMware or another process is activly using WMI.  When I retry later it stops OK.

Are you joined to a 2003 Domain server. 

Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:12 PM
  • I had the same problem on my Windows 7 and it turned out to be related to the Windows Gadget Platform. I disabled it and that seemed to fix the problem.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Same problem here. Problem due to a Drive Meter Software in Gadget apps.
    Friday, February 04, 2011 12:45 AM
  • Thanks, Drive meter does it...
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:01 AM

+1 for Drive Meter being the culprit.  It's weird though, I've been running the Drive Meter gadget for a couple of weeks with no problems, and it started happening out of the blue...and I can't figure out what triggered it.  I'd like to keep running it, but not with the high CPU utlization.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Guys what this manual things"Stop & Start" How can you take it every day....

Simple:

1) Go to administrative tools

2) Services

3) Click On "Status Colums"

4) Now Go down the list of "Started" ...Alphabitically ..to the "Windows..." maybe  5 to 15 services.

5) Stop one at a time. while checking the "Task Manager Cpu Usage"

6) You found the Problem...

ps. In my case it was the "Window Live Family..." ; It was fine; I added some extra restrictions on programs ...AND That Didit.

That How I Found out...As soon as I stopeed ...was normal...

THIS PROCEDURE WILL REMIND U OF SOMETHING U CHANGED RECENTLY...

Friday, September 09, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Moderator,

Please lock this thread.  It was started in the wrong forum and then piggybacked by a lot of other users, also in the wrong forum.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:42 PM
  • The Network Monitor gadget seem to be doing it for me.

Turning Gadgets off and then on seem to sort it out, at least for now.

I did noticed that controls on the right hand side of the gadget weren't appearing on mouse-over.  Might be an indicator.

Note: I run the CPU, Drives, GPU and Network Meters all set to 5 second intervals.

I'll report this to the add-gadget guys...

Saturday, September 24, 2011 10:24 PM
  • The Network Monitor gadget seem to be doing it for me.

Turning Gadgets off and then on seem to sort it out, at least for now.

I did noticed that controls on the right hand side of the gadget weren't appearing on mouse-over.  Might be an indicator.

Note: I run the CPU, Drives, GPU and Network Meters all set to 5 second intervals.

I'll report this to the add-gadget guys...

Thanks alot for the thread folks, I have an 2500k and had no noticeable issues as it is quite fast.

I installed the turbo boost gadget from intel as I was curious and noticed it kept peaking, so that naturally lead me to  WMIPrvSE.exe and here.

I have cpu meter, network meter and drives meter, clicked off the drives one and all was fixed, did not even have to trouble shoot:)

I have learned to google first before trouble shooting, big time saver,lol. 
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:57 PM
  • I had the same problem last night on Win7 Ultimate 32bit, with not much running at all (Browser, MSWord).

I tried everything, WmiPrvSE.exe kept restarting after I killed it, going way over 50% at times.

Then I decided to dump the process to one of the cores, so atleast it has less space to wreak havoc.

And suprise-suprise, in some 30 seconds it got down to 5% processor usage, and after an other 5 minutes, it decided to close itself.

Ever since, it has been behaving like a nice little process, and jut eating up as much capacity as absolutely needed.

I hope this helps others too.

Monday, November 07, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Sounds interesting Giltintur.

Can you explain how you "dump(ed) the process to one of the cores"? What program did you use to do this? Please list out the steps.

Can someone explain why locking a process to one core only as opposed to letting it run on any cores available would help this?

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Hey Amarion,

I'll jump in quickly for Giltintur and he can correct me if I'm wrong...

Assigning a process to a core can be done using the afinity setting in Task Manager, though of course it only lasts as long as that process (on it's PID) lasts, so a restart of the process or PC will loose it's afinity.  I believe there are applications out there that don't have this limitation.

I suspect setting the afinity to a single core, just allowed the process to run without, subjectively, impacting on the PCs performance. I say subjectively because in reality it is still chewing up a single core's worth of CPU.

Why after setting the afinity it only took 30 seconds to quieten down, who knows, it perhaps suggests that this might be a different problem, or perhaps a genuine usage/activity profile for WmiPrvSE.

Just my 2c.

Later'ish
    Craig

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Bingo! Same for me. Thank you for posting. Weird problem since I've been running drive meter for ages and suddenly last night it started hogging CPU. I didn't make any changes to my PC yesterday so the root cause is very mysterious. I also noticed that my network meter wasn't working at all, either.

I'm using Drives Meter 2.4. It is very sluggish to respond while it's hogging the cpu but just hover for a minute and the menu comes up so you can close it. CPU Meter is running fine though, no cpu hogging going on there.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Ok guys, solution , after longer search online, and where are most false answers, problem seems to be in Network Meter. New version, which measures fixed and WiFi networks, and has limiter for monthly transfer. Shut that down, coz hes trying to get your WiFi measured alltho you don't have WiFi card in at all. So he hogs processor sending queries constantly about piece of hardware you don't even have on.  Get older version of Gadget , and you're fine. Worked like a charm in my case.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:57 AM
  • I have a HP Windows 7 laptop that was experiencing the problem of wmiprvse.exe consuming high CPU usage. Plus I had very intermittent WiFi connection. I tracked my problem to two things: First - uninstalling the HP Wireless Assistant solved the high CPU usage problem. Second - I was running a second guest SSID on my router along with my normal SSID. I did this so guests could access the Internet but not be able to see my other computers. For some reason this confuses Windows 7 (at least for me it did). Other computers (one XP and three Vista) did not have a problem with this, only one Win7 laptop. Once I disabled the guest account in the router, the problem went away. I intend to re-install HP Wireless Assistant to see if the guest network was also the root cause of the high CPU usage as well.

Just FYI in case this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:00 PM
  • later in this thread you ask about dumping processes to certain cores etc the best way i have found to do this is Process Lasso, It is by far the most helpful program of its type I have used, and I do this for a living.. anyways if you have questions you can message me back I will try to pay attention here.

http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php

• Edited by D4RK_4NG3L Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:57 PM To give easy link to the answer information I provided.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:56 PM
  • You got it. As you it was a problem with a gadget called Drive Meter. THX
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:02 PM
  • For what it's worth, if this helps anyone else - I've identified my real source of high CPU for wmiprvse.exe was "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log" service. (part of wireless card driver from Intel)

a couple of observations:

1) restarting (not just stopping) the "Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log" service helps bring CPU down

2) once I either connect to another SSID or sleep/wake-up my laptop, the WmiPrvSE goes high CPU.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 1:29 PM
  • This fix has worked for me on several machines (windows server 2003, 2008):

As administrator, open a command line prompt:

c:\>sc pause Winmgmt SERVICE_NAME: Winmgmt TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS STATE : 7 PAUSED (STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN) WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0) SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0) CHECKPOINT : 0x0 WAIT_HINT : 0x0 c:\>taskkill /IM wmiprvse.exe c:\>sc stop Winmgmt SERVICE_NAME: Winmgmt TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS STATE : 7 STOPPED (STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN) WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0) SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0) CHECKPOINT : 0x0 WAIT_HINT : 0x0 c:\>sc start Winmgmt SERVICE_NAME: Winmgmt TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS STATE : 4 RUNNING (STOPPABLE, PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN) WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0) SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0) CHECKPOINT : 0x0 WAIT_HINT : 0x0

c:\>

The start command to the service will restart the WMIPRVSE.EXE process.

• Edited by JehCD Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:42 PM footnote
    • Proposed as answer by JehCD Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:41 PM
  • simply clearing the Event Viewer logs fixed my issue w/svchost.exe
    • Proposed as answer by DG3 Monday, January 14, 2013 8:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DG3 Monday, January 14, 2013 8:18 PM
    Monday, January 07, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Restarting the service "Windows Management Instrumentation" in the Services panel seems to fix it.  All of the dependent services will also get restarted.
    Monday, January 14, 2013 8:22 PM
  • bingo...... that worked for me too... thanks for your help!

for those of you who need help finding Windows Management Instrumentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgsHfc-4TUE

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 1:31 AM
  • Many thanks.  I had the same problem and nothing helped, and believe me I tried everything. As suggested by others, I tried stopping each of these individually and then restarting and that did not work.  But for some reason if I stopped all 3 in the order you described, and then restarted in the reverse order it worked.  Marvelous and many thanks. 
    Monday, July 15, 2013 7:04 PM

+1 Disabling Drive Meter did it. Strange. I've been using it for years. Problem just appeared in resent months. I guess some update doesn't gets along with it.
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Restarting the service "Windows Management Instrumentation" in the Services panel seems to fix it.  All of the dependent services will also get restarted.

After reading all the thread of posts, this approach seemed really easy and convincing so I tried it and it worked magically! All the other software is working fine and the CPU usage went down to 10% right away and has remained low for hours. Thanks DG3!
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Great, it works!
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:35 AM
  • Thank you so much for this info. This was exactly the problem on my computer and your info was the fix. Your posting saved me a great deal of time and frustration. Thank you!
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:27 PM
  • amazing!! the script works very well!!

Now my CPU load is stable and only 5%. Thank you so much!!

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:03 AM

It  works. 

BUT, will I have to do this every time I start the computer?

Mitja

Sunday, September 29, 2013 6:16 AM
  • Hi all, if oyu look at the addgadgets.com website there is a fix for this: go to CMD as Administrator, run "lodctr /r", close the CMD window.  Voila. 

Apparently this overwrites all Performance counter registry settings and Explain text, replacing them with the configuration defined in the file specified.

Not sure why this works, but it works for me like a charm already on 2 PCs (lenovo T420&T400 Win64 Ultimate)

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:31 PM
  • "lodctr /r" was the solution, thanks Alex_VD!

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits and both Network Meter & Drive Activity gadgets freezes. WmiPrvSE.exe takes 100% of 1 core.

Reset the perf counter stats with this command and everything works again.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:26 PM
  • In my case, the problem is due to 'windows live family safety'. stopping this service, WmiPrvSE.exe will use 0% CPU; starting the service, WmiPrvSE.exe will use 100% CPU.

Restarting "Windows Management Instrumentation" doesn't help. 

I need 'windows live family safety'.

Any solution? Thanks.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:20 PM
  • I've had this WmiPrvSE.exe problem on two HP laptops, an XP laptop and a Windows 7 machine. It would make me really happy if Microsoft could release a bugfix.

Monday, March 10, 2014 12:50 AM
  • I had this issue as well, and for me it looks like the application log was constantly filling up with errors from a "WPA Supplicant". Uninstalling "D5000 Wireless Dock" fixed this issue for me. Hope this helps someone.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:52 PM
  • I have been experiencing this problem for a while now, and just found this forum.

The above solution (the CMD file) worked for me like a charm.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 02, 2014 5:54 PM