Windows 7 min. system requirements

General discussion

• <--- Please vote this post as helpful if you have found it helpful to you!!

Hello!

A lot of people have posted back to replies I have given about Windows 7's minimum system requirements, stating that they have gone lower than the minimum I quoted in my reply.

I have decided to start this discussion to let all of those who would like to know what hardware win7 has successfully run on.
    Here is the min. requirements I have seen so far.

Color Key:
    Red means the absolute minimum win7 has succesfully run on.

Yellow means min. requirements to run win7 with some reasonable performance out of it, maybe get some Aero effects out of it. This category goes along with MS's min requirements located here.

Green means recommended specs. This category is for you if you want all the Aero effects to run well, or to play games, or just want to increase your WEI index.

Please note:
    If these specs below baffle you, please check out the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer can upgrade to Windows 7.

Minimum Windows 7 system requirements:

Processor:
    Pentium 3, 665 MHz

Celeron, 1 GHz

Pentium 4 / Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz

RAM:
    512 MB (This much is required to even get the installer running)

1 GB, maybe 1.5 GB

2 GB or more

Graphics card:
    Onboard graphics card, 8 MB of memory

Onboard graphics card, 64 MB of memory,
    at least WDDM 1.0 (Vista) drivers, DirectX 9 capable.

Dedicated graphics card, 128 or 256 MB of memory,
    WDDM 1.1 (Windows 7) drivers, DirectX 9 and 10 capable.

Hard drive:

IDE HDD, 10 GB
    Please post what size Hard Drive you have got win7 running on!

IDE or SATA HDD, 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) free space

SATA HDD, at least 25 GB free space

Graphics card drivers:

For ATI cards:
    Click here to go to ATI driver search page

For NVIDIA cards:
    Click here to go to NVIDIA driver search page

Please note:
    ATI has discontinued drivers for older graphics cards. These cards do not have WDDM 1.1 (win7) drivers, but they do have WDDM 1.0 (Vista) drivers and will run on win7 including the Aero effects!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    See my thread "Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7 " for more on if your card is affected or not. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I hope you found this to be informative! If so, please vote that this post was helpful!!

Feel free to comment or to say what hardware you have got win7 running on, as I am as curious as you to see what win7 runs on.

(note: table background colors for the graphics driver part are from the companies logos or win7 interface elements.
    See Microsoft's win7 system requirements here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements.)
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:47 PM edit upgrade advisor link to not point to beta version
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:41 PM

All replies

• Hi JoelbX,

You can take away the question marks by the PIII 700MHz processor. That was mine. And it did run and it was stable.
    BUT...after a while the performance was such a drag that I took the hard drive out of the system and started testing a different OS on that machine. I still have W7RC on that hard drive, too, so I can plug it back in whenever I want to.

It only became unworkable in the sense that it became unbearable to wait for the machine to catch up at every turn. It was a very interesting experience to be able to get it to install and run, though.
    Regards from the Valley of the Sun.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:05 PM
  • OK, thank you piepaw for clarifying that. I have seen so many posts that I forgot what was what.

The "Red" category is meant for the min. that win7 will run on. It does not mean that the comp will run well and be fast and peppy with that hardware, and that you will have every piece of hardware matched up with a driver.
    Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. requirements (you are already here)
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:28 PM edit signature :)
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Useful post. Corresponding with my experience, too.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:05 AM
  • Wow Drew1903, that is great!

I have heard that Vista will run at 512 MB, but that it will run as slow as a turtle, whereas I have seen a youtube video of someone running the 7 RC on a old Compaq Deskpro that the board only supports up to 512 MB of ram, and he was running it on its integrated graphics, and the startup and shutdown was just a few (5-7) seconds longer than my PC with win7 (which is a HP pavilion 2.2 GHz w/ 2.5 GB RAM and a NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT)

Point is win7 runs a lot better and faster than Vista .

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

- JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:46 PM edit signature :)
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Useful post. Corresponding with my experience, too.

Glad you approve. I thought I would start a discussion in which all of the min. requirements for win7 were clearly listed.

- JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:46 PM edit signature :)
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Hi JoelbX,

Thanks for the thread.

I have been testing Windows 7 and in particular about Graphics card.

I have a Sapphire Radeon X1550 Graphics 512MB card with driver 8.593.100.0 dt.27/04/2009 for series & secondary(Latest).
    Even though this is the latest driver for my card, which is not WDDM standard, the aero effects  are getting disabled.

But the driver version Radeon X1300/X1550 Series (Pre release WDDM 1.0) runs FINE (which is default Windows automatic updated driver for my card ) with aero effects on my system.

Radeon X1300/X1550 card has been declared by ATI as Legacy, so I am not in a postion to install & use the ATI's CCC .
    If I choose ATI's Legacy release & install CCC, (9.3 version for Windows 7) I am able to make use of the CCC but I am loosing aero effects.

Are there any chances of getting WDDM 1.1 standard Driver for my  Sapphire Radeon X1550 512MB Graphics  card .

I being a novice, kindly guide me as to whether I am on right conclusion with regard to my graphics card.

Kind regards,

-VRVEERAPANENI
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Hello!

For those not in the know, I have edited the OP to reflect which ATI cards have been moved to legacy support and therefore have no more drivers being made for them.

ATI (AMD) decided to offer better driver support for Radeon HD cards, so they discontinued making drivers for older ATI cards . See list in OP for more. Unfortunately they did this in March, a couple months before they started making win7 drivers.

As a result older ATI cards do not have WDDM 1.1 (win7) drivers, however they do have WDDM 1.0 (Vista) drivers.

Please see the list in the OP to see if your card is one of the ones affected by this.
    The last driver version to include support for older cards is 9.3 .

Are there any chances of getting WDDM 1.1 standard Driver for my Sapphire Radeon X1550 512MB Graphics card.

I being a novice, kindly guide me as to whether I am on right conclusion with regard to my graphics card.

If you have one of these affected cards and want to get WDDM 1.1 drivers, the drivers DON'T EXIST!!!

- JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:26 PM edit signature :)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:10 PM
  • my first test pc was as follows

-Dell optiplex GX150 small desktop series
    40GB PATA hard drive (samsung)
    512MB SyncDRAM
    Intel Pentium III 1GhZ proccessor.
    ATI Radeon 7500 32MB video card (in compatibility mode for windows xp)
    TTST Corp CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive

it can handle 7 satisfactory. but then, there's some power hungry apps and requires adequate cooling (my system heated up so i used a huge cpu fan and it did the trick. for the premium games, it ran fine, even with 32 megs of video memory

as of now, my current test pc is this:
    -Gateway 310S (mobo on a compaq SR1303WM case)
    40GB (one is a seagate, one is a samsung, both use the PATA interface) hard drive x2
    1GB DDR Ram
    Intel Celeron 2.6GhZ
    Intel Extreme Graphics (64 meg?) integrated video memory (gonna replace with an Nvidia 128 meg video card.
    Multi-card reader
    Lite-ON PATA CD-RW/DVD-Rom Drive
    Plextor Plexwriter PATA CD-RW drive
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Since I was asked to Beta test I'm using self built.
    I am dual booting XP home 32 and win 7 Ultimate version 6.1.7100 Build 7100 RC 64 bit.
    Video card NvidiaGeforce 7800 GTX
    Motherboard Intel DP965 LT
    System type x64 based PC
    Processer Intel(R)Core (TM)2 CPU 6600@ 2.40GHz
    Ram DDR dual channell 800 ammount 8gig
    virtual memory 15.9 gig
    page file space 7.93ig
    Hitachi sata type 2 Hard drive partition 116 gig C: win 7
     Hitachi sata type  2 D: partition 116gig housing XP
    Maxtor E: IDE 100 320 gig  drive storage
    Maxtor sata type 1 F: 200gig Games and Utilites.
     HitachiSata type 2 partition 116 gig G: video
     HitachiSatatype 2 partition 116 gig H: Utilities 1
    Drive I:cheap Optiarc AD-5200A  DVD +/- rewriter
    Maxtor Sata type 1 J: 200gig Games and Data.
    Drives set to IDE in bios
     Maxtor Firewire/usb back up drive 320gig
    I did have a triple boot having Vista 32 bit as well.
    But the drive housing Vista had problems, so Vista was removed.
    Both OS run well.
    The win 7beta  took a long time to install but updating the bios solved this problem.
    This set up installed in cheap case it has a nice blue light though and I put in 7 fans.
    600 watt psu.
    S B X-Fi Xtreme Audio card
    pc express 1 sata raid & e sata card installed but not used at the moment.
    Winfast PalmTop DTV 200 H which works lovely in win 7 media center
    USB Epsom SX 400 printer all utilities works.
     usb Bamboo Tablet works fine.
    HP standard ps/2 keyboard 
    usb logitech mx500 optical mouse.
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:25 AM
  • I have RC 7 running on 3 computers here at home.

Main setup using RC7x64
    Biostar TA790GX-128m board
    AMD Phenom II X3-720BE 2.8Ghz tri-core CPU
    8Gb DDR2-800 ram
    BFG GeForce 9800GTX+ OC 1Gb video
    WD 640Gb SATA II HDD
    LiteOn 22X SATA DVD-RW

Living room PC connected to TV using RC7 x86
    Biostar K8NHA Grand nForce 3 board
    AMD Athlon 64 3400 2.4Ghz CPU
    2Gb PC2700 ram
    MSI GeForce 7600GT 512mb AGP video
    Maxtor 340Gb IDE HDD
    LG 22X IDE DVD-RW

Wife's laptop Inspiron 8500 using RC 7 x86
    Pentium 4 mobile 2.0 Ghz
    2Gb PC2100 ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 32mb Video
    WD 80Gb IDE HDD
    Encore Wireless N PCMCIA card

My main Phenom II setup has had no problems with RC7x64 at all. The Athlon 64 system runs great as well. I did try the x64 on it but it seemed a bit sluggish, the x86 version is faster. My wife's laptop runs better with 7 than it did on XP. Going to get an updated video module for it (there are Mobility Radeon 9600 128mb modules available) so she can take advantage of the eye candy in 7.

I do have another older laptop, Toshiba S157-1005 I may try 7 on. It's only a Celeron 1Ghz, 512mb ram, 8mb intergrated video,20Gb HDD setup but as we only use it for web surfing I may see if 7 will run on it. I'll post when I try.

Love the HomeGroup feature. All 3 RC7 computers have had no problems sharing data.

Sam
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:58 PM
  • I do have another older laptop, Toshiba S157-1005 I may try 7 on. It's only a Celeron 1Ghz, 512mb ram, 8mb intergrated video,20Gb HDD setup but as we only use it for web surfing I may see if 7 will run on it. I'll post when I try.

Love the HomeGroup feature. All 3 RC7 computers have had no problems sharing data.

Sam
    Yes, please do try to run it, as I am curious to see how it runs!

I will see about installing win7 on a Dell Optiplex GX110 P3 processor, 512 of ram, and 32 mb integrated graphics, and Ill post on how that runs...

Edit: As piepaw said about his P3 test pc, it runs unbearably slow... Now for real slowness, try my setup: P3 on dial-up with a soft modem! (and the sidebar taking up 20% of CPU a lot of the time)

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back, promptly if possible with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. system requirements (you are already here)
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Wednesday, September 09, 2009 6:09 PM edit signature :)
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 1:22 AM

• i've installed win seven on p3 866mhz and385mb rams,but fsb at 133mhz.aero,apps,games and internet runed properly
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 9:45 AM
  • EPIA 800MHz VIA C3 processor with 1 gig of ram
    All- in - one board using onboard video

Win 7 without the fluff runs OK, usable for web surf / email
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 12:05 PM
  • I will see about installing win7 on a Dell Optiplex GX110 P3 processor, 512 of ram, and 32 mb integrated graphics, and Ill post on how that runs...
    OK, I did it... The p3 does run win7, but it is a little annoying to wait for the comp to catch up every time you do something.
    The Other Devices in Control Panel show an ethernet controller, a multimedia audio controller,and a PCI simple communications controller, so this comp has no way of getting online right now to even check windows update for drivers! The weird thing to me is that the sound card is a PCI card, I would think win7 would have drivers for those cards buil-in, especially when XP does.
    Specs:
    Processor: P3 @ 665 MHz
    Ram: 512 MB
    HDD: 10.43 GB
    Graphics: integrated, 32 MB memory

Now the next project is, XP on this comp plays my test DVD (The Living Daylights) just like a p4 would, even when fast forwarding, but now how will win7 work with playing it?

(Edit: win7 plays the DVD HORRIBLY!! The audio played well, but the video framerate was very poor and got largely out of sync with the audio, allowing the audio to get at least 5-7 seconds ahead of the video. This is probably because there are no Intel 82810 onboard graphics WDDM drivers, so this is running on the Standard VGA adapter driver.)

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back, promptly if possible with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. system requirements (you are already here)
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Monday, August 17, 2009 1:08 AM win7 plays DVDs horribly on a p3
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 2:02 PM
  • i've installed win seven on p3 866mhz and385mb rams,but fsb at 133mhz.aero,apps,games and internet runed properly
    To help avoid confusion, please unquote my OP, as I have updated the requirements, and the specs no longer match. Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for unquoting it!

- JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Monday, August 17, 2009 1:05 AM Thank you for unquoting OP
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 2:11 PM
  • when tested on the piii config i said that worked perfect and still does,i found out that the mother board has the intel chipse 815 e/em pro witch is still in use all most un modified and from 385 mb rams one module was ddr sdram running at fsb 166mhz,search your self for ddr-sdram sycron,also gpu nvidia fx 5200 with the following scores:
    cpu:1.3
    ram:1.7
    aero 3d graps:2.9
    3d gaming:3.0
    hdd:5.3
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hey,JoelbX I ran win 7 RC on my computer with 512mb of ram and p4 1.7Ghz and intel 82845g 64 mb graphics accelerator
    Aero works just fine and i also have only an old 80gb HDD  (win 7 only used 9.22gb) . it ran faster than my xp pro!!!!!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Hey,JoelbX I ran win 7 RC on my computer with 512mb of ram and p4 1.7Ghz and intel 82845g 64 mb graphics accelerator
    Aero works just fine and i also have only an old 80gb HDD  (win 7 only used 9.22gb) . it ran faster than my xp pro!!!!!
    Cool, but how did you get Aero to run on the 82845G chipset?
    As Intel never made Vista or win7 graphics drivers for the onboard graphics!

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements? (you are already here)
    Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:01 PM edit signature :)
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 5:17 PM
  • it seems once win 7 is genuine the service called superfetch adjusts the os for best performace even aero,same in my case,but i admit that the graphic card is takin good care of aero while the rest runs good
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Thought SuperFetch did ReadyBoost, not adjusting performance, but I could be wrong.

My point is win7 would be stuck with 640x480 resolution and the basic theme without drivers, and no one has made Vista or win7 drivers for this chipset. Since Accuzition is running Aero on this chipset, it raises the question, how did you get Aero to run, as without the driver (which as seen above, doesn't exist) you can't run Aero.

I am asking you again, Please unquote my OP in your 1st post, as the specs no longer match!

Edit: thanks for unquoting it!

Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Readme for older ATI graphics cards or Intel onboard graphics and Windows 7 users
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Monday, August 24, 2009 5:56 PM Thank you for unquoting OP
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:52 PM
  • can i upload an picture,ishall do a printscreen with the properties of the machine to see that indeed it works well,my poin that is either the rc or rtm microsoft repaired some mistakes done with vista excluding installation requirements wich was strit or the rc purpose for testings enabled for oems and other customers to run it on allmost any type of machine for evaluation purposes.
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Thanks Ronnie for unquoting the OP! What was the pic though, as I didn't see it before you removed it. I have seen pics on here before, so just wondering what was up!?

Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Monday, August 17, 2009 1:09 AM edit signature :)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Hi JoelbX

i running windows 7 on :

AMD Athlon 1050
    1g of Ram
    Nvidia 5500
    WD 320g

and is running better than XP(dualboot)
    Iam very happy so far lets see what happen when i start to load all app that i run on XP.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Glad to see that!

Do you know what processor speed (e.g 1.5 GHz) the AMD Athlon is?

I suppose the "Nvidia 5500" is a NVIDIA Geforce 5 FX series card, right? If so, any driver problems with it?, as NVIDIA stopped making drivers for it a while before the win7 beta came out.

Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    • Edited by JoelbX Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:43 PM edit signature :)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Hello JoelbX,

I managed to put Windows 7 (VERY smoothly) on this Dell Dimension 8400computer:
    Pentium 4 HT 3.2Ghz
    1GB memory
    71.4 GB HDD
    128 ATI RADEON X series (along the lines of that, I cannot recall)

It works AMAZINGLY.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Hey JoelbX,

I also installed on a Optiplex GX-270, I had the same issue as the 640x480, checked device manager, and everything was installed correctly. I went to the web and searched for a WinVista Intel 82XX driver, with no luck. I did however find a thread that said the BIOS needed adjusting, as the video buffer was set at 1mb. I raised this to 8mb and was then able to control AERO, and  change the screen res.  Hope this helps.

:)
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:28 PM
  • I suppose the "Nvidia 5500" is a NVIDIA Geforce 5 FX series card, right? If so, any driver problems with it?, as NVIDIA stopped making drivers for it a while before the win7 beta came out.
    Please post your experience with that card geeknutty, as I am curious!!

- JoelbX    'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:05 PM edit sig
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Anyone out there running the final version (RTM / GA) on less than MS's requirements (yellow category)?

- JoelbX    'Gadget' programs
    • Edited by JoelbX Tuesday, February 09, 2010 3:05 PM edit sig
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:28 PM
  • windows 7 has rewritten and does run 1280 x 1024 32bit color with plain generic vga drivers unlike older windows. vista drivers run fine in win7 they only need the extra programming drivers for aero specific features. those drivers as in 'win7 vga' might include the extra aero programming features to show aero glass.   .. so this is not any suprise to me. I put in a pci matrox 2 meg card and it runs perfect with out aero in win7. I forced vista non signed drivers from device manager update using have disk and chosing folder and files downloaded from matrox web site. very suprised it also has ntune like software. this card is like 10 years old and stil supported. shaggy said: 'like, wow, man'.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:02 AM
  • Real tested absolute minimum system requirements for Windows 7 are:

- CPU Pentium II 233Mhz Klamath

- RAM 128MB (during installation 512MB)

Of course CPU load is 100% all the time, without idle  don't expect any performance. I did this test to estimate required win7 core hardware specification for industrial implementation.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9528/w7ax63233ax63.jpg
    http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1482/w7ax63233b.jpg
    http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1937/w7ax63233a.jpg

On old industrial motherboard Advantech PCA-6178 with CPU P3 850Mhz + 512MB RAM it worked acceptable for some simple application, sometimes  faster than XP.So easy W7 can be used for embedded implementations like XP in the past. Microsoft did really good job with Windows 7.

Monday, May 31, 2010 7:49 PM
  • " Microsoft did really good job with Windows 7."   ABSOLUTELY!!  Fully agree!
    Drew - MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 1:43 AM