none
WmiPrvSE - WMI provider keeps my CPU on 90 C degree and High usage

Question

• I'm new to this forum so I don't really know what spec or things I should write, so I start with this:

I have an Acer Aspire 5940G laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Intel Core i7 Quad Core (8 logical cores) processor, 1,6 gigahertz.

4 GB RAM

WmiPrvSE.exe , so called WMI provider keeps my processor on 14-16%. It's not a big deal, but it is more serious that the processor is warming to 90-94 C degrees. My laptop is burning and it's very bad for my processor and hard drive. I tried to kill the process with task manager but it reloads itself with the same high performance. I tried to disable the service but it's still running. And there are 2 of the process with the exact same name. But only one of them is warming. It eats that 12-15% randomly from my CPU. For example: For one week it was on 0%. Then it started to warm my laptop. If I restart my laptop, same happens: warming to high temperature. Please help, my laptop is 1 year old and I want to use it for the next 2-3 years but I'm not sure if I can use it with this all-time high temperature.

PS.: If I run only internet explorer/media player/any program that needs 5-10% of CPU, the temperature is going to 100 C degrees. And I'm using a cooling pad too! And sorry for the bad sentences, I'm not English.

I wanted to upload images, but I can't...

Sunday, September 30, 2012 12:33 PM

All replies

• 1. Is it new or "old" installation? (What did you before CPU starts to heat up?)

2. There is possibility, that there is large termal resistance between CPU and cooling system.

3. What is the polling parameter in

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WSRM\Parameters
    Name: PollingInterval
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: Polling query interval in seconds

Rgds

Milos

Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:19 PM
  • 1. It is new, I reinstalled my system 2 weeks ago. Before the reinstallation, there were no problems with WMI Provider Host. I do nothing, WmiPrvSE.exe starts to warm my system with no reasons. It starts that 11-20% CPU usage in different times. Sometimes after I loaded Win7 instantly or just randomly after that.

2. The warming is not the main problem (it is because my laptop is dusty I think). But it still warms to 90 C degrees with any programs using 10+% of CPU. But with no reasons, this is the only process that starts warming my laptop.

3. : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\

WSRM is not there. I could go only to "services".

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 7:50 PM
  • I like that nobody answers in the Ms Technet when here are professionals... in theory.

Thanks the many many replies for the 164 views (1 reply, and it was a question), it was really useful.

I thought that professionals in Ms know something about it...

Friday, October 05, 2012 8:46 PM
  • I like that nobody answers in the Ms Technet when here are professionals... in theory.

Thanks the many many replies for the 164 views (1 reply, and it was a question), it was really useful.

I thought that professionals in Ms know something about it...

Eagerly waiting for a response as well. At my fresh windows 8 install,  WMI provider takes away ~50% of cpu resources.

- how to debug this?

- how to trace this?

Regards

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Hi Kanaan,

Lets start off with this, you heat issue is probably bad thermal transfer- Too much thermal paste on your cpu can cause this, the purpose of thermal paste is to fill the microscopic grain on the service of the chip to prevent micro heat pockets, a very thin layer can acomplish this. Also your fan may be caked in dust preventing your sink from cooling properly.

Before proceeding I would clean the heat sink ccompletely out, I'm talkni full disasembly, there are usually 3 parts; Fan case, fan, and cooling plate. After re-apply a thin layer of thermal paste to the chip (Make sure you clean all old past off with som toilet paper or cuetips.) Now remount your heatsink the tempeture of you chip should drop down to about 50-60c after this is complete.

No for troubleshooting the WMI service (Windows management instramentation; or somthing like that) This service is a very important part of your operating system disabling it would be very bad. I haven't been able to locate a hotfix for you sowe will proceed with caution.

First down and scan your pc with these 2 programs (Just to make sure its not a rogue using the process)"IMPORTANT DISABLE YOUr CURRENT ANTIVUS PROGRAM BEFORE SCAN AND REPAIR TWO AV RUNNING AT ONCE CREATES SYSTEM CONFLICTS"

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (Free version is fine no need to activate trial)Make sure you update before scan

http://www.superantispyware.com/ (Free version is fine)Make sure you update before scan

If the WMI problem proceeds after all 3 scans (the third scan being your av).

Follow these steps:

Click start

Click computer

Right click C:\

Select properties

Select tools tab

Click Error checking" Check now "

Put a check in the box that says attempt to recover bad sectors

Click ok and restart your PC.

If the problem is still persiting

Click start type services.msc

Press enter

Go down to wmi preformance adapter

Double click it

Stop the process and set startup to manual

Restart your pc again.

If this didn't stop your problem then your only other option is putting the WMI service on manual start (Not recomended by me tho)

I can't advice anything after this hope I helped a little,

Tom

• Proposed as answer by MS_Guru_Tom Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Looks as though nobody is willing to solve this. I have 4 freshly installed Windows 8 machines and all of them have the same issue. So do not install Windows 8 into any old machine - you will end up having busy CPU all the time and the machine heats a lot. If you repair Office (2010 or 2013) installation on the machine WMI works for a day or two, bvut then it starts to hog all the CPU again. Be warned.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Try this:

http://superuser.com/questions/240794/why-does-wmi-provider-host-wmiprvse-exe-keep-spiking-my-cpu

Saturday, January 05, 2013 5:46 PM
  • I have the same issue. I am a long time technical guru, although getting older. I've been using Windows since version 1.0 beta and was MCSE  & CBE certified over 20 years ago.

I recently upgraded a couple of my home PC's to Windows 8 64bit . All my PC's are very robust recent configurations. These same machines running Windows 7 64bit were absolutely blazing. These machines were loaded from scratch.  Compared to Windows 7 they are much slower with regular bursts of uselessness. Under Windows 7 at idle the CPU would sit at 0-1%. With the less applications installed and the same applications running the Windows 8 CPU hovers between 3-22%. much of the resource hogging is this "WMI Provider Host" and I also see Windows Search hammering the CPU a lot too. Now these machines have been running for 2-3 months and the indexing of my files is (or should be) finished with very little upkeep for new files, I would think.

The annoying thing is that apps will just hang for a split second here, a second there, with little going on.  I am seriously thinking to go back to Win 7.  I wish someone with current in-depth knowledge of Windows 8 would chime in and let us know what is wrong with it.

BTW, These ARE NOT laptops, they are full power desktops with killer specs including 1200watt P/S, 2700K CPU's, $400 Asus MB's, 16GB RAM, various $400 NVidia graphics cards, 3-disk RAID0 (striped) 10,000rpm drives. It sucks when you have that kind of horsepower and the only apps running are a browser (Firefox) and email (Thunderbird) and as you type your email the characters are sometimes lagging your keystrokes.

Only from the minds of Microsoft.  BTW, I have hated MS since version 1.1. The only version of Windows that ever delivered IMO is Win 7 (almost). They spend too little time getting the basics to work solidly and much too much time of superfluous garbage.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:30 PM
  • I installed divix today 5/29/13 and the WMI jumped up to 95%. I uninstalled divix and all was fine again. See if that helps :)
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:15 PM