none
Autodesk products on Windows 7

Question

• Am I the only one using both W7 and misc. Autodesk software??
    I`m a CAD manager in a mid-size engineering/architectural company with approx. 80 employees.
    Currently I have tested Revit Arch. and Structural with success, same goes for 3DS Max Design. (2009 versions for all above)
    But I`m struggeling as hell with basic Autocad 2009.
    It freezes when I`m trying to select any element. No matter what command I`m in. Don`t even have to have any command active.
    No error message- just freeze and die.
    I thougt it might be a graphics problem on my primary laptop that was the reason for this (brand new HP Elitebook 8530p/64b/4gb Ram/ATI Radeon 3650, 256mb ram).
    But no. I have installed W7 on my secondary laptop too and there is no difference. (HP 8710W/64b/4gb ram/Nvidia Quadro 1650, 512mb ram)
    The other ADSK products are all working fine here too....

Does anyone have some kind of idea what the problem/solution might be?
    Autodesk just keeps talking about that "W7 is still a moving target...." They don`t seem to be too interested in getting out a solution for this, yet.

/Tor
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:51 AM

Answers

• guys.. its solved.. install .NET FRAMEWORK 4 BETA.. FOR WINDOWS 7.. everythin solved.. AUTOCAD ROX IN WINDOWS 7..
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:39 AM
  • OK I have found a REAL fix for those of you experiencing crashes with 3d Studio Max 2010 and windows 7 or (XP even) that the other fixes didnt help... I tried them all... and nothing helped. I started googling all the error codes in the stop error 0x00000124 array and found a MS KB article that talks about a processor being unstable and throwing a BSOD when it was overclocked...

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor that has been OCed since day one from its rated 2.4 Ghz rating to 3.2 Ghz ( x8 and a FSB of 1600) So I set my processor back to  its 2.4Gz settings with a FSB of 1066Mhz and voilalno more crashes when rendering out in 3d Studio max

about every 8 frames the 4 hilbert boxes will freeze for about 8 seconds but then they will recover and conitnue on. This is where it would always crash 3d studio max...

so go back take off the overclocking on your processor and see if it helps you... It sure did me...

and oh yeah while Im writing this IMrendering frame 48 of 117 typing this up and chatting with a bud (Hi Bobbo) via google chat

Kinetic
    Monday, August 24, 2009 4:35 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to install Autocad 2009 on Win 7 64 bit OS and have not been able to do so. I get an error message stating I can not install on this Operating System. I've tried using Vista compatibility mode and Administrator privileges with no luck. Autocad 2009 is a 32 bit application.
    Autodesk or Microsoft issue?
    • Proposed as answer by sherazdf Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:50 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Sorry, but you will have to get your hands on a 64-bit version of Autocad.
    The latest Autocad that will install as 32-bit on a 64-bit OS, is Autocad 2007.
    /Tor
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:29 AM
  • I can't help with 2009, but I do have 2010RC installed as 64 bit.  Seems to function OK.  My problem is with Autocad 2004.  Opening a file in R2004 by double clicking on a dwg icon dosn't load any of the start-up suite, including Express Tools, and anything I add in acaddoc.lsp errors out.  If I right click on the icon and select Autocad as the application to open the file with everything works fine. 

What error are you seeing?  You mention graphics but say that isn't the problem, but you don't give any other details.  "I'm struggling ..." doesn't give much to go on.

Martin
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:36 AM
  •  I have not tried any of the 2004 versions since we don`t use versions older than 2007 in our system. But will try to install a 07 release this to see how it works.
    Unfortunately I`m not a member of the Autodesk Beta tester community so I have not been able to try the 2010 version.

My problems with 2009 don`t give any error messages. The Autocad just freezes, and then shuts down. This goes for both my computers.
    It happens when I`m trying to select elements in the drawing. Happens with a lot of different commands and even without a command started.
    Will try to turn off the "live preview" to see if that may improve the situation.
    /Tor

(Have now just tried to turn off the "select preview" function, and it seemed to help.....for 2 minutes....)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:57 AM
  • You might want to look at the discussion group gpt Autocad 2009 at autodesk.com.  Search term = crash.  There are a lot of problems listed and a number of suggestions fixing the crashes.  Most people I know skipped 2009 because it was so unstable.  2010, when it is released, should be much better, but it still has the horrible "shades of gray" interface with no way to do skins or revert to a "classic" appearance.  
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Sorry, but you will have to get your hands on a 64-bit version of Autocad.
    The latest Autocad that will install as 32-bit on a 64-bit OS, is Autocad 2007.
    /Tor
    I have Windows 7 and ACAD 2007 don't work.
    First it didn't start at all, then Win7 gave a message about incompatibility and a link to AutoDesk page, where I got a batch. I ran the batch and now I get an error message:
    FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x0000 Exeption at 4048e9h

I think this is fatal. If MS fucks with a program like this, I got to seriously start thinking about Linux.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 7:45 AM
  • A few weeks have passed since your posts.

I have IV2010 Pro running here on W7 64
    Acad seems to work fine.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 3:14 PM
  • i am also running acad 2008 with no probs at all
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:10 AM
  • I am running Autocad 2010 on W7.
    Nvidia Quadro 560.
    Intel quadcore@2,67Ghz,
    4Gb Ram.
    W7 Quadro driver version.185.85 from Nvidia.

The mouse movements in the drawing window is incredibly slow, and autocad freeze, and shut down all the time.. 
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:54 AM
  • IM running 3D studio Max 2010 on aWin7 64bit, Q6600 Quad core, 8GB DDR2, NVidia 512MB 8800GT
    runs fine except when I go to render out frames as a avi or as image sequences
    Depending on the quality of the render settings I can render out 20 to 30 frames and poof Bluescreen...
    higher quality ray tracing settings I get less frames before the BSOD
    lower quality settings I get more frames before the BSOD

using the mental ray renderer with conserve memory and cache GEOEMETRY set I can get a few more frames renedered out before getting the BSOD

This sucks...
    I havent had a stinkin BSOD since Win98

Kinetic
    Friday, July 31, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Hi!
    Have you tried different models/files with the same problem or does this occur on only one model/file?
    If possible you should try the problem file on another computer with W7/Max 10.

I have now also installed Acad Arch, Revit Arch/Structural, Acad MAP 3D and 3DS Max, all in the latest releases.
    There seems to be no problems with neither of the above. But I only render stills in MAX, mostly with the native MR engine, so I havent had the "possibility" to experience your problems with bluescreen.

Just give me a hint if there is anything I can test on my computer/s

Tor
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:57 PM
  • guys.. its solved.. install .NET FRAMEWORK 4 BETA.. FOR WINDOWS 7.. everythin solved.. AUTOCAD ROX IN WINDOWS 7..
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:39 AM
    will this work for 3D Studio Max 2010 64bit installed on Windows 7 64 bit?

@Tor yeah tried different models etc clean files created on the fly and if I set things too high or even medium it will render a few frames the blammo BSOD
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:22 AM
  • OK I have found a REAL fix for those of you experiencing crashes with 3d Studio Max 2010 and windows 7 or (XP even) that the other fixes didnt help... I tried them all... and nothing helped. I started googling all the error codes in the stop error 0x00000124 array and found a MS KB article that talks about a processor being unstable and throwing a BSOD when it was overclocked...

I have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor that has been OCed since day one from its rated 2.4 Ghz rating to 3.2 Ghz ( x8 and a FSB of 1600) So I set my processor back to  its 2.4Gz settings with a FSB of 1066Mhz and voilalno more crashes when rendering out in 3d Studio max

about every 8 frames the 4 hilbert boxes will freeze for about 8 seconds but then they will recover and conitnue on. This is where it would always crash 3d studio max...

so go back take off the overclocking on your processor and see if it helps you... It sure did me...

and oh yeah while Im writing this IMrendering frame 48 of 117 typing this up and chatting with a bud (Hi Bobbo) via google chat

Kinetic
    Monday, August 24, 2009 4:35 PM
  • hilow!

i am trying to install autocad 2010 in win 7 home basic 64 bit.. i am getting a setup does not run in this software..
    already tried the compatibility thing. still no go..

pls help! thanks!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:10 PM
  • Am I the only one using both W7 and misc. Autodesk software??
    I`m a CAD manager in a mid-size engineering/architectural company with approx. 80 employees.
    Currently I have tested Revit Arch. and Structural with success, same goes for 3DS Max Design. (2009 versions for all above)
    But I`m struggeling as ____ with basic Autocad 2009.
    It freezes when I`m trying to select any element. No matter what command I`m in. Don`t even have to have any command active.
    No error message- just freeze and die.
    I thougt it might be a graphics problem on my primary laptop that was the reason for this (brand new HP Elitebook 8530p/64b/4gb Ram/ATI Radeon 3650, 256mb ram).
    But no. I have installed W7 on my secondary laptop too and there is no difference. (HP 8710W/64b/4gb ram/Nvidia Quadro 1650, 512mb ram)
    The other ADSK products are all working fine here too....

Does anyone have some kind of idea what the problem/solution might be?
    Autodesk just keeps talking about that "W7 is still a moving target...." They don`t seem to be too interested in getting out a solution for this, yet.

/Tor

I have AutoCAD 2009 and I have had no problems at all with it. I use it on my desktop as I have a faster system than my ancient Toshiba which cannot use it.

I have opened some client work and it displays fine and when I select an element to check it out more closely, no problem.

I have it configured for Direct3D on my machine and it seems fine.

I wonder of there is some problem with the drawing file that Acad does not like?

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:03 AM
  • We are on the ragged fringe of the "curve", that's all.
    I'm running 3DS Max 2010 on Win7 Ultimate x64.
    My workstation: Asus Striker II NSE, nForce790i Ultra SLI - 1600MHz FSB, QX9770 Quad Core 3.2 @1600 MHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX1800
    Everything seems to be working, but I am experiencing small issues that are sowing up since installing WIN7, like errant right mouse-click results.
    I'm looking forward to Microsoft's .NET updates that will stabilize CAD apps in WIN7.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:53 PM
  • We are on the ragged fringe of the "curve", that's all.
    I'm running 3DS Max 2010 on Win7 Ultimate x64.
    My workstation: Asus Striker II NSE, nForce790i Ultra SLI - 1600MHz FSB, QX9770 Quad Core 3.2 @1600 MHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX1800
    Everything seems to be working, but I am experiencing small issues that are sowing up since installing WIN7, like errant right mouse-click results.
    I'm looking forward to Microsoft's .NET updates that will stabilize CAD apps in WIN7.
    .NET framework 4 will be available when Visual Studio 2010 ships.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: ASRock P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Do you have the Aero theme turned on. Beware it will crash.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Official Autodesk website offers service packs for autocad products.
    It helped me solve a similar problem.

Here is the link

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334440&linkID=9240618
    Monday, February 15, 2010 12:02 AM
  • hi, i am also having crashing problems with autocad 2010- i downloaded the .NET FRAMEWORK 4 BETA FOR WINDOWS 7 - but am still crashing every time i open.

i'm a designer, NOT  a developer -- would you mind giving me more information? am i supposed to "do something" in the .NET software once i've downloaded it? if so, what?

my system is as follows:

-mac mini version late 2009 / -processor 2.66 / -4GB ram

-windows 7 64 bit / -autocad 2010 64 bit

ANY HELP APPRECIATED, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:56 PM
  • Visual Studio 2010 uses .NET framework 4 which is part of Windows 7.

I suggest using Windows 7 on bare metal, not on a mac.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:54 PM
  • ARE YOU HAVING A PROBLEM WITH GETTING 2 POINTING DEVICES IN AUTOCAD 2008 IN WINDOWS 7?

I AM AND I AM TRYING TO FIX IT.

ANY HELP?

THANKS.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:19 AM
  • ALL AUTOCAD SOFTWARE COMES WITH BOTH 32 BIT AND 64 BIT ON THE SAME DISK.

JUST USE THE X 64 SETUP INSTEAD OF THE X86.

HOPE THAT HELPS.

BUBBA13

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:22 AM
  • HEY. I WAS HOPING YOU COULD HELP ME.

I AM GETTING MY AUTOCAD POINTING DEVICE AND THE WINDOWS 7 ONE AT THE SAME TIME.

HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM.

ANY HELP?

BUBBA13

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Hey Bubba

I am a bit confused with your problem; am i to understand that you have both the W7 mouse pointer AND the AutoCAD crosshair on the screen at the same time?

Please explain.

/Tor

Saturday, May 01, 2010 8:46 AM
  • Hi, Thanks, very informative. I have one more quierry, Does AutoCAD 09/10 wiil works in W7 Home premium?

Regards

Suraj

Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:27 AM
  • Hi, Thanks, very informative. I have one more quierry, Does AutoCAD 09/10 wiil works in W7 Home premium?

Regards

Suraj

No problem. As long as you have lots of RAM.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Almost the same here, I also have Windows 7 and Autocad 2007 and it first it didn't start at all, then I changed compatibility on properties, I tried all the operating systems from windows 95 to Vista and ti gives me the same message about the FATAL ERROR. If you managed to solve it, please let me know. Thanks!
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 6:57 PM
  • I suggest that compatability mode is probably not needed, but if it only starts that way, its fine.

Are you using AutoCad in a clean setup?

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 9:42 PM
  • I have Dell T3400 4GB RAM, Nvida FX580 Win 7 Pro.

Autocad LT 2002 with INTERNAL ERROR : GEDIT 3 everytime whenever I try to zoom extent. This error only occur when ever there is a circle object in the drawing. ellipse or arc object doesn't trigger the error but almost fully circled arc will trigger it. I use the keyboard zoom extent command. zoom in and out using mouse scroll b utton will not cause the internal error.

Any ideas?

Tried every Autocad solutions that I search using the internet but still cannot fix it.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:09 AM
  • hey dude

Iam facing the same problem

have you found the solution to this problem?

please inform if you had one

thanks.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:49 AM
  • have you had any help with this issue
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Have You had any help on this issue

Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:20 PM
  • ALL AUTOCAD SOFTWARE COMES WITH BOTH 32 BIT AND 64 BIT ON THE SAME DISK.

JUST USE THE X 64 SETUP INSTEAD OF THE X86.

HOPE THAT HELPS.

BUBBA13

Actually some SKUs come on 2 disks, 1 for 32-bit and the other is 64-bit.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

• Proposed as answer by gabrielsys Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:12 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by gabrielsys Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:13 AM
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:42 PM
  • i'm using autocad 2007 in window 7 profesional 32 bit. The problem i face is while i'm moving the crosshair, its keep on beating. why?
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Your information is very helpful. Will Autocad 2009 work on Windows 7 Professional-32Bit in Windows XP Mode? Kindly help
    Sivaprasad Kalipatnapu
    Sunday, August 07, 2011 10:17 AM
  • AutoCAD will work with XP and up and it should not need to be run in compatibility mode.

Use 64-bit Windows and the 64-bit version of AutoCAD if you have the DVD for it.

32-bit programs work fine on x64 Windows, but using 64-bit versions allows for more memory etc

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint etc.

I feel badly for my American friends who have to endure the extremists in Washington who are bankrupting the nation over ideology.

My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page. See my gaming site for game reviews etc.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, August 07, 2011 1:13 PM