none
Mouse deselects active window, wont respond until ctrl alt del

Question

• The problem that I'm having is that my mouse sporadically "unfocuses" my current active window when I click, and will not interact with anything onscreen. The computer isn't freezing, you can still move the mouse but can’t click on anything. You also can’t click and drag. Also the mouse looks like a standard pointer, not the spinning blue circle. There is no visible active window, it's as if there is an invisible window on top of everything else, that stops the clicks from going through. When this happens, mousing over things doesn't provoke a response; For instance - Mousing over a link in a webpage doesn't turn the cursor into a hand signifying a clickable link. The keyboard still responds perfectly, and all programs continue running normally. This occurs at any given time, while on or offline.
    When this problem happens, I can press ctrl-alt-delete, and click once anywhere on that blue screen to make the mouse begin to respond again. Then I click cancel and go back to whatever I was doing for anywhere between 5 seconds and 30 minutes when the problem happens again

This computer is virus free, and I've seen others have this problem on a fresh install of Windows Vista. I have tried this mouse in other computers, and the problem doesn't happen. I've also tried other mice in this computer and it still occurs. I've been told by other who have the same problem that it "Happens with touchpads, pointing stick, wireless mouse, wired USB mouse", and possibly others as well. I'm running an OEM Windows Vista Home Premium, fully updated, MSI K9N4 SLI Motherboard, AMD 4600+ processor, Razor Deathadder mouse, Logitech G15 Keyboard, ATI Radeon 4870 HD Graphics card, and 4GB Mushkin ddr2 sdram. It also occured with 2gb of corsair ram and an 8800gts graphics card.

If you have any questions concerning hardware/software/what i had for breakfast, I'll gladly answer.
    If you have any ideas, I will pretty much try anything at this point.
    As of now, I have tried every idea at this website - http://blog.bidenpc.com/267/vista-mouse-cant-click/ - to no avail.
    Thank you for your time, please help if you can.
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 12:42 PM

Answers

• If this is the case, I suspect this can be a hardware related issue. We can try a parallel install - install a new system on another partition to check if this is related to hardware.  

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, April 13, 2009 8:25 AM

All replies

• As of now, I have tried every idea at this website - http://blog.bidenpc.com/267/vista-mouse-cant-click/ - to no avail.

So have you tried this under Safe Mode and what's the result? Does the issue occur under Safe Mode?

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 6:24 AM
  • The issue occurs in safe mode, yes.
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I suggest you check the power of the USB port:

1.       Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in Start Search and press Enter.

2.       Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

3.       Right click on each USB Root Hub, choose Properties.

4.       Under Power tab, check if required power exceeded total available power 500mA.

If this is the case, please try other USB ports and see the result.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:37 AM
  • I thank you for your response and for trying to help. =) I checked the power for each USB Root Hub, and the required power was always exactly equal to the total power available, or 0.  I tried a different USB port, just in case, but the issue still occurs.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:51 AM
  • If this is the case, I suspect this can be a hardware related issue. We can try a parallel install - install a new system on another partition to check if this is related to hardware.  

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, April 13, 2009 8:25 AM
  • I think was able to confirm that it is a hardware related issue; While installing another copy of Windows Vista on a completely separate hard drive, with the original one disconnected, the issue occurred during the first screen of the installation, where you select the Language, Time&Currency and Keyboard/Input Method of the installation. Do you have any idea which piece of hardware might be causing this problem? Thanks again for your continued support.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:04 PM
  • For the current symptom, I consider this can be a hardware issue with mainboard or USB ports on the mainboard.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Alrighty, I may have another mainboard somewhere to replace it with. If I do, and the issue goes away, I will confirm. Thanks for the help
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:17 AM
  • I most likely have the same problem on Vista 32 and a wired Logitech USB optical mouse.

For the last years my system worked fine. A couple of weeks ago - I can't remember any special circumstances - it suddenly happened that I couldn't activate one or more windows with mouse clicks - or drag/resize them. It seems the "active state" switches back and forth between two windows or "levels" (when there is only the taskbar and the desktop) with each click, somewhat similar to ALT-Tabbing.

Opening and closing the task manager temporarily solves the problem.

It happens randomly and in random intervals. It happens even right at start-up so that I cannot click on icons in the quickstart menu.

While I e.g. can use the mouse clicks on desktop items, the items in the taskbar won't react - or vice versa.

I run windows with - say - standard applications, my system is always up to date, I have no fancy programs/hardware installed other than stuff from renowned companies as Microsoft, Adobe, Mozzilla, Skype, Logitech, nvidia-Drivers etc. and one or two games. A virus check didn't reveal any problems. While playing a mouse driven game I didn't have problems so far, only on desktop.

I tried closing windows processes, but the 2 or 3 I can close with still being able to use the computer seem to have no effect.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone, so there might be someone finding the cause of this. Maybe it was the Vista ServicePack or some other update, who knows.

While the problem persists, navigation with the keyboard is entirely possible.

Why would that be a hardware problem, if a) others have it too and b) everything worked fine until now?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Finally! this is the only page on google that actually has the right problem!

ok exactly as you described, you're just working away at anything, sometimes nothing and the next click doesnt work! and you realise that its frozen itself again. you can keep clicking all over the place but nothing works, so you press alt-control-delete then click cancel twice and then everythings ok!
    and you can count out hardware error btw
    i have a laptop and it does this with the touchpad or the plug-in mouse.
    i have no virus's or malware to cause this. and since one of my mates who also has vista (one of the few that changed from XP) comes across exactly the same problem.
    i'm just hoping windows 7 will fix most of these problems...though if anyone does have a magic solution i'll take that too

Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:28 PM
  • i am so glad i am not alone. i thought i was going crazy. It seems that one window or process - either one of my open windows or the taskbar or explorer itself - via clicking on the background - can have the mouse focus and will not let it go - it just gets stuck. if i alt-tab, it will switch focus, and i can type commands, Function-key combinations, etc. but if i try to click on the window, it will not respond. the mouse focus stays with the window that previously had it - even though the key-focus has moved.

i have a dell inspiron, windows vista with latest updates, and am running a western digital hard external portable drive, ms-wireless keyboard and mouse, and have a fujitsu scan-snap scanner (although the last is not currently plugged in). i have 2gb of ram.

i just hope its a driver or update or something like a registry fix! any clues would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Using ctrl-esc cleared this up - temporarily at least
    • Proposed as answer by jetlagQ Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:01 AM
  • I have solved my problem. Not sure if I can help narrow down yours.

I tested my mouse on another computer and lo and behold! The same problem occured. Hence I knew the mouse was the problem.

My mouse had buttons on the left and right side (standard bindings "back" and "forward"). It seems the right "forward" button sent signals withoug being pressed. You can try this if you hold down this button - left clicks won't work anymore.
    Instead of CTRL+ALT+DEL I could now press the "forward" button to temporarily "reset" the sending of the signal, but as the mouse obviously was defect, the problem occured again in random intervals.

Now I have a new mouse and the problem is solved for me.

So maybe this will help: Try finding out if your mouse has a malfunctioning button, that is sending signals without being pressed. I guess if the mouse is doing this on a laptop, it would also affect the touchpad buttons not working or vice versa.

Good luck!
    • Proposed as answer by Matti_Turku Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:35 AM
  • I am joining this thread because I had elxactly the same problem, and I mean exactly until CTRL Alt DEL quit working altogether. I took my new ACER latptop with Vista back to the seller, It was gone a month ad they finally repleaced the hard drive. It worked famously for 1 month, and today, the problem has begun again. This might be a clue for all of us. REplacing the hard drive was only a temp. fix. ANy thoughts?

Monday, September 07, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Please keep this thread going!
    I have the same problem except the touchpad won't click at all straight away so I have to press enter to get into my user account then I must go into task manager in order for the left click to work - after that only left click works! So I have not right click and I cannot tap to click on the touchpad (though I can scroll up and down on the side of the touchpad). Very annoying!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:48 PM
  • I understand this is Vista forums, but as it was mentioned earlier, I wanted to confirm this happens also on Windows 7.

I am having exactly this same issue on my brand new HP EliteBook 2530p running a fresh Windows 7 Enterprise installation. It doesn't matter if I'm using an external USB mouse, the integrated TouchStyk or TouchPad, the UI just becomes "unclickable".

When I was in Firefox with mouse gestures enabled, I noticed that for moments when this problem occurred, the red lines were drawn in the browser meaning that it was like right mouse button was pushed down (which it physically wasn't).

Whenever this problem occurs, I am able to switch between apps with keyboard shortcuts and move the mouse cursor. It is only the mouse clicking that seems not to be working.

A workaround is to ctrl-alt-del and then escape when ever this happens, but this is far from an ideal fix :)
    MCTS: OCS
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:27 AM
  • noooooooooooooooo damn i thought a new operating system would solve the problem!
    grrrrrrr well nothing so far has worked, i disabled that link scanner as well but still it freezes and im left clicking pointlessly till i sigh, ctrl alt delete, then click escape.
    ok so though we're all getting tired of this lets run through it quickly
    we all have windows (in some form)
    we all have AVG?
    Internet browser doesnt matter
    hardware doesnt matter
    its definately a software issue. and something we all have...
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 10:32 PM
  • I've had the same problem, but only for a month or two; leading me to believe that it was related to a software update. Tonight, the trouble began when I fired up Skype.

Can only be resolved by crtl+alt+delete. I have been hovering and then clicking on start task manager before it works. I haven't tried to just hit escape.

Running Vista, AVG, Skype, and a wireless keyboard and mouse (but I believe that has been thrown out).

Following with interest!
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:23 AM
  • I have had the same problem with the mouse except that mine won't wake up after going into the sleep mode.  I bought a new computer (Compaq Presario) about 1 1/2 months ago with Vista Home Premium on it.  Everything worked fine until the Vista Service Pak 2 update--that was when the mouse did not work any more.  I did do a system restore and it did fix it; however, then Vista said my system restore didn't work properly so I set it back to the update.  I'm thinking about removing the update and seeing.  I do not run AVG on my computer--Norton is what I have.  I believe this is another Vista issue--truly hate this OS!

10-13-09

Today I uninstalled my Windows Vista Service Pack 2 as that is when my problem started with my mouse and computer not waking up.  IT WORKED!  My computer is back to normal after the sleep mode.  Mouse wakes up just fine.  I will live without the service pack 2 because I should be upgrading to Windows 7 as soon as it is out.  I hope this helps others. 
    • Proposed as answer by tonitiger7 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:33 AM
    • Edited by tonitiger7 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Aaaah, Finally found this posting.
    I'm having the exact same problem as the once described above.
    Haven't thought about switching mices because it also happens on the touchpad of my Acer laptop.
    What Grumbleindabronx told about his mouse buttons sending signals give me some thought.
    It sometimes happens when i'm browsing on the internet, when reading a website, the browser goes back to the previeus one at once. Without me touching an button. So maybe i have the same problem he/she has. Only with my backbutton.
    I also have a logitech marble mouse with navigation buttons.

What i have tryed without succes:

De-install all virus software
    Install SP3 and all available MS updates
    disabled all startup programs and services not needed to run a bare Vista system
    Disconnected from internet/network for a whole evening

But for now i'm still having this problem.

So add me to the "problemlist"

Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:30 AM
  • Don't know if this helps, but my middle click button has also stopped working since this problem has started. I cannot use the middle click in any of the programs that used to have specific "middle click" operations (e.g. Firefox: Open new link in new tab, Google Earth: tilt from horizontal. etc.). It seems like these problems started to happen at the same time.

/Using a wireless keyboard and mouse; Microsoft Keyboard 6000 (v3.0) and Mouse 6000 (v2.0)
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:54 AM
  • I have a user who is experiencing the same problem.  He has a laptop and a brand new desktop, both running Windows XP Pro.  His old desktop died, hence the new desktop.  He was using a Belking KVM to switch the keyboard and mouse back and forth between the two computers.  He uses a macally trackball.

This user started having trouble on his laptop.  On the day I delivered his new desktop, he flipped the keyboard and mouse over to the desktop, so that I could use them.  He then turned back to his laptop and showed me this "freezing" issue.  Ctrl-Alt-Del did not resolve it, but opening the task manager did.  Leaving the task manager opened and Alt-Tabbing to it also resolves the issue.  Note that this problem was with the trackpad.

As soon as I got his new desktop plugged in, the same problem started happening.  He had a theory about a certain piece of software causing the issue, but I hadn't installed that software on the desktop.  I had been working on the desktop in my office with my own mouse for several days with no problem, but within 30 minutes of placing it in his office, the issue was apparent.

I have tried taking the KVM out of the mix, which did not resolve the issue.  I am going to have him test another mouse, but hearing about so many others who are having the same problem makes this seem like random hardware failure and more like a Windows issue.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:00 PM
  • I would also like to report this same issue in Windows 7 RTM x64 using a brand new SideWinder X8 mouse and the IntelliPoint 7.0 x64 software.  The mouse randomly is locking up (can still move it, but cannot 'click'/select anything)...even as I type this.  I've been using the RTM since its release and the Betas/RC before that using a Optical Logitech mouse with zero problem.  I recently just purchased this mouse (I've had it for approx 5 days) only to find a few days later without prior issue, a probelm to arise at startup and durring usage of my desktop.  To make things more clear, if I discontinue use of the X8 and switch back to my Logitech, using the same USB port, the problem no longer persists.  I've tried to uninstall the Intelipoint software, clear the registry, folder etc to no avail.  This ctrl-alt-del obviously was my first thought since I couldn't click anything and has proven to be the only solution thus far, sad.

That would be great if we could get some reps/mods to respond to this thread with some fixes/theories....at the very least.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I had this problem too, but then it seemed to be my mouse.
    • Proposed as answer by Mark Main Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:10 AM
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:41 PM
  • By any chance are you folks using a docking station?  My problems seems to only happen when docked.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 3:58 AM
  • This problem can be pinpointed to a specific button on the mouse -- to troubleshoot, begin disabling buttons on your mouse such as the side buttons or the middle button until the problem goes away. If using a laptop, disable the onboard nub, buttons and even the trackpad entirely before trying an external mouse.  The problem occurs when a “sticky button” interferes with standard mouse operations – so if the middle button is randomly depressed, this will cause unintended mouse operation such as focus issues and will seem to be intermittent.  If the problem is with a trackpad middle button for instance, an external mouse would also succumb to the anomaly unless the onboard trackpad buttons are disabled.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Hey, same thing happened to about 2 months ago. I run on vista. Tried a fresh OS install on a different partition, didnt work. I went and reformated the whole HD, It happened at first but then it stopped, so I stoped worrying about it.

Now this week the problem started again. Exactly as described above in the first posts. The active window seemed to remain active even when clicked. I'd say its the active object that remains active. For example in the browser. The browser window was an object and the tab was another object. So if I could click the browser buttons, adress bar (the stuff on the actuall window) I could not work on the tab. However when I could click stuff on the tab I could not click the browser buttons. Also note that even if you had the tab bar as the active object, flash objects like movies or ads where like a different layer, so to use them you had to go trough the taks manager window.

The desktop was the same. The task bar and desktop where 2 different objects. So to change between them I had to use the Task Manager fix (Open task manager, click the window, choose your next active window).

Anyway after reading this I though maybe it was a Mouse hardware problem. Sometimes when I hovered the mouse over other objects that where supposed to become active if I clicked them I saw a wierd little box.

http://i46.tinypic.com/bh0gnb.jpg

I'm not sure what it is. Like a mouse button is pressed, sticky keys or the mouse middle button.

So I took my logitech wireless mouse to my housemate's laptop to test it out. Figures, his laptop also went haywire.

I don't know much about computers, but I think plug n play devices have the drivers stored inside them. So its probably that the divice had a driver problem or an electrical problem inside that cuased it to go haywire.

So now I'm using an old usb infrared mouse and havent had the problem since then. (about 1 hour)

On a note, when I started to have the problem I used a ps/2 bus mouse to check if it was my usb mouse's fault (But I left my usb mouse plugged). However it seems that even if you unplug the USB mouse the problem will continue until you restart the computer with the USB mouse unpluged. Just hope this helps if anybody has the same problem.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Hmmm interesting, well i can't see why my touchpad, not mouse would be causing this. But I can disable the touchpad using a keyboard shortcut, then use my plug in mouse...Tell us how it goes with a new mouse.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Don't know if this helps, but my middle click button has also stopped working since this problem has started. I cannot use the middle click in any of the programs that used to have specific "middle click" operations (e.g. Firefox: Open new link in new tab, Google Earth: tilt from horizontal. etc.). It seems like these problems started to happen at the same time.

/Using a wireless keyboard and mouse; Microsoft Keyboard 6000 (v3.0) and Mouse 6000 (v2.0)
    Damn, exactly the same pattern with mine! The middle click will not work after the problem happens. I use wireless Microsoft Keyboard 700 (v2.0) and Mouse 700 (v2.0). Normally, when I press a key on keyboard or click/move/scroll the mouse, a green LED on wireless receiver will blink indicating that signal has been received. However after this problem, when I click the middle scroll, there's no light, i.e no signal transmitted from the mouse??

I bought my desktop computer haft a year ago, and using Windows 7 RC x64 until I upgraded it to Professional RTM x64 version last month.
    I hardly turn off my computer, never change connections of USB ports, and system always runs smoothly. There was no such problem until yesterday, when I upgraded AVG free edition from 8.5 to 9.0 and installed some email clients like Mozilla Thunderbird.

I also found that the UI is not totally "unclickable", there is actually a "clickable" window or object that you can activate it and click. That window could be the desktop wall, taskbar or any other activated window. I also saw a little box (Doji Lolazo http://i46.tinypic.com/bh0gnb.jpg) when a Firefox tab is the clickable object.

Thank God I found this page to realize I'm not a loner.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:54 PM
  • I think i found a solution for this problem :)...

1st. Open Device Manager (Press start, than open Run and type devmgmt.msc ).
    2nd. Go Mice and Other Pointing Devices and than PS/2 Compatible Mouse .
    3rd. Right Click on it, and choose Properties and click Uninstall .
    4rd. Restart your pc :-)

Hope this Helps.
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 3:31 AM
  • I have very close to the same problem.  The problem began to occur after I used newsid.exe to change my SID.  It happens every time after waking up the display (power settings turn display off after 5 min,this is not sleep)

I can not click on anything to change what is on the screen, whatever is there before the display is turned off stays. If I was looking at the desktop before the display powered off I can use ctrl+tab to change the active program, but this is not shown on the screen, desktop only is visible.  If I move the mouse across the screen, the pointer will change to a hand or a text selector at certain points (where the non visible windows have links or text fields).  When I push ctrl+tab, the pointer changes symbols at different areas than before (a different window is active, but still not visible.)

pressing ctrl alt del, then cancel restores the clicking.  I can now see that I was actually highlighting text in the active but not visible windows, I can even type text into the windows, but will not see the text until after ctrl alt delete.  
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Im having the exact same problem on two different laptops, a Sony and an HP. If so many people are having these issues on so many widespread systems I would assume that it is an OS problem. And apparently it wasnt fixed by windows 7. 

BUMP!
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:40 PM
  • I am using Windows XP, and this problem is also occurring - probably in the last 3 months is when I noticed it. I use a Logitech wireless mouse and Dell Latitude laptop.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:30 AM
  • I have the same problem with my Sidewinder X8 Mouse, I can't use the "back" button anymore after doing a ctrl+alt+del, please help us!
    I bought it at 99$!!! It's a lot! I have to get it WORKING!!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 8:48 AM
  • I have the same issues with X8 an Windows 7. The exact same thing with the back button no longer working at all, and not being able to focus on a window until CTRL+ALT+DEL-ing.

This is definitely a hardware RELATED issue, because it happened in the installation environment as well.
    I think maybe it's a receiver issue, but not sure how to test such a thing.
    • Proposed as answer by folken_max Monday, December 28, 2009 10:20 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:55 AM
  • I have the same issues in Windows XP, with a wired PS/2 mouse. My mouse worked perfectly 2 months ago, soo its not a hardware issue. Problaly an update cause this.

This issue cause Chrome tabs close on click. Everithing comes back to normal when some other application get focus, then return to first application.
    Brazil is the place!
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Exact same problem to me.  Occurred back in vista 64 and Windows7 64 now. I recently brought a new PC (except mouse, keyboard,monitor and camera). Same problem again. It occurs randomly.

MS Natural ergonomic 4000 Keyboard
    Logitech MX revolution mouse
    MS Lifecam VX5000  

Anything similar with any of you here?

Friday, January 08, 2010 10:24 PM
  • hey iv got an awesome idea, since this IS random and so many of us have THIS EXACT problem
    and since we're pretty sure its a fault with windows
    HOW BOUT WE GET SOMEONE FROM MICROSOFT HERE
    sorry but jesus, dont post another same problem reply, there are already so many, we need to start finding solutions or contacting the people that made this operating system.
    oh and to 'ner9' nope no matches with harware there, am using a laptop ith built in mouse, keyboard and webcam. and not those models as far as i know
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 3:43 AM
  • I think I do have a piece more to add to the puzzle. I have all the same symptoms as described above, (on one computer this irritation has survived 3 complete re-formats, under two fresh installs of 2k3 and now fresh XP and a brand new mobo) it recurs at random (but mostly short) intervals as others are experiencing and isn't hardware related.

The truly bizarre thing is, inside a terminal services/RDP session it doesn't. Further brain-scratching occurs as from inside the Remote Desktop window, none of the control tab buttons (minimize, close or auto-hide/pin) respond, but in this scenario the Ctrl-Esc workaround ceases to help and only a trip to the task manager allows you to regain control of the terminal computer.

This issue definately needs to get some serious coverage, it's driving me nuts.

*EDIT* just to clarify, by control tab buttons I mean just the control tab for the RDP window itself, everything within the remote enviroment functions normaly.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:03 AM
  • uninstalling the mouse through device manager worked for me on a windows 2000 machine.

how i was able to expand mice and other pointing devices was just multiple middle clicks.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:25 PM
  • One more piece of the puzzle to further narrow down the problem: 
    I was given an old PC with Win. XP installed. It exhibited the same problem as described here and was worked around with the CTR+ALT+DEL method. Not that it would make any difference (because I see others with a variety of hardware are having the same issue), but the system is as follows:

Gateway desktop computer with Win. XP Media Center Edn. Version 2002 SP2 
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 
    504 MB RAM 3.0 GHz 

I put the computer online and updated (68 updates) to SP3 - no change to mouse problem. 
    I installed and ran Cclean and removed a lot of registry entries after removing Norton Security Center. 
    I de-fragmented the HDD. Still no change to the mouse problem. 

I then ran Ubuntu Linux off the Live CD and still no joy! 
    I installed Ubuntu Linux as a second OS in a dual-boot configuration. The mouse problem persisted! 

This would (in my mind) absolve Microsoft and its operating systems from being the culprit. I read somewhere that someone thought it may have something to do with Plug-an-Play. That might be something to look at, but what I finally did was to remove the '2-button optical USB mouse with a scroll wheel' that came with the system and substitute it with an old '2-button mouse' that uses the round multi-pin plug. NO MORE MOUSE PROBLEM (so far.)! 

This makes me think it is either in the mouse itself (a bad batch of mice was sold); 
    the scroll wheel part, or associated software to make it function; 
    the USB port or associated firmware; 
    mouse driver issue; 
    Plug-And-Play. 

For those who had the issue with the touchpad... was the mouse un-attached or still plugged in while using the touchpad? 

The mouse I removed is a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse V.2.0 USB/PS2 compatible. 

Hopefully this additional information will assist those who are experts in the field to narrow down and solve this issue once and for all.
    • Edited by softyone Friday, February 05, 2010 10:10 PM Attempting to put back all the line breaks that disappeared when submitted.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 10:05 PM
  • Further to the above post:

I just tried the faulty mouse in another computer and the problem MOVED to the other computer, so now I know for sure that this is NOT an issue with software of any kind. This is a HARDWARE problem with the mouse. (The computer that initially displayed the problem has been without incident since I swapped mice.)

The problem mouse is a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse V.2.0 USB/PS2 compatible, Model 1113. Is everyone having the problem using this type of mouse?
    • Proposed as answer by softyone Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:38 AM
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 8:34 AM
  • I'm skeptical to believe this is a hardware issue just yet. A client of mine has a new HP 6730b with Windows XP w/SP3 installed and he has been having these issues for about 2 months. The mouse quits working on him and the only thing that works is hitting ctrl-alt-delete and then he can continue working for a few minutes before it happens again. The reason I'm skeptical is because not only does it happen to him, but it happens to me while I am working on his computer REMOTELY. This means I am not using his mouse or his touchpad.
    I am awaiting a response from him to find out if he does, in fact, have a docking station attached to his laptop(I can't remember if he does). If he does, I told him to remove it and see what happens. The issues didn't start until the past couple of months so it could have been a conflicting Windows update. He has also had viruses on his laptop a couple of times. Although removed and showing his computer is now un-infected, I'm still wondering if that could be a contributing factor. I know a lot of you have said your computers are virus free, but have they been infected in the past?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Using the PS/2 compliant mouse has worked for  me.

My Logitech MX518 still works perfectly on other computers tho. For some reason any HID compliant mouse i've used on my Windows 7 computer has not worked.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 12:38 AM
  • I'm skeptical to believe this is a hardware issue just yet. A client of mine has a new HP 6730b with Windows XP w/SP3 installed and he has been having these issues for about 2 months. The mouse quits working on him and the only thing that works is hitting ctrl-alt-delete and then he can continue working for a few minutes before it happens again. The reason I'm skeptical is because not only does it happen to him, but it happens to me while I am working on his computer REMOTELY. This means I am not using his mouse or his touchpad.
    I am awaiting a response from him to find out if he does, in fact, have a docking station attached to his laptop(I can't remember if he does). If he does, I told him to remove it and see what happens. The issues didn't start until the past couple of months so it could have been a conflicting Windows update. He has also had viruses on his laptop a couple of times. Although removed and showing his computer is now un-infected, I'm still wondering if that could be a contributing factor. I know a lot of you have said your computers are virus free, but have they been infected in the past?

With USB devices, one need not be using them for them to cause a problem. On an older computer of mine, I had a problem with a USB scanner. I bought the computer, scanner and all peripherals at the same time, brought it home, set it up, and started having the system hang whenever there was a drain on the CPU (doing a lot of processing). I had the computer checked and it was suggested I get a larger power supply. I did that but the problem remained. Finally, I unplugged everything but the keyboard and mouse. One by one, I added things like speakers, etc. until finally I added the scanner, and the system hung again, even though the scanner was not in use! From that day on, I simply left my scanner unplugged and never had another problem. When I needed the scanner, I plugged it in, used it, and unplugged it again before doing any other work with the computer that uses a lot of CPU. Worked great!

So, you see, just because you were working remotely on the client's computer means nothing, as long as his mouse was still connected.

If you noticed in my above post, my faulty mouse caused the problem to move to a totally different computer that was not even running Windows! The computer I moved the mouse to runs Linux and it still stopped working! But in Linux, CTRL-ALT-DEL does NOT fix it so you can use the mouse again for a while. In Linux, I found no work-around besides replacing the mouse itself.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:14 AM
  • Thanks to all who posted in this thread before me, here is my story, with what solved it for me..

Hardware:
    HP Elitebook 8530p The laptop is fitted with a Synaptics touchpad (with 3 buttons below the pad), and a touchstik (with 3 buttons below the space bar).

Symptom:
    Intermittently the mouse pointer focus would be "stuck" on the desktop, unable to click the start button or in any open windows. If you brought a window to the foreground using ALT+TAB and then tried to click in a field on the foregound window it would lose focus. Double clicking icons/files on the desktop worked fine, thus you could open documents etc, you just could not do anything with them. The issue seemed to occur more often after the computer had been in hibernation/sleep, But once it starts happening even a reboot generally does not fix it.

Temporary Resolution: As others mentioned pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and bringing up task manager would make the problem go away for a while. Sometimes killing and restarting the explorer process would also help.

Troubleshooting: Sometimes changing which set of buttons I was using would work for a while. Plugging in an external USB mouse did not make any difference (I only ever plugged a mouse in for troubleshooting, the remainder of the time I use the touchpad with the lower set of buttons). I did not disable the pad/stik when the mouse was plugged in (probably should have done).

First step was to reinstall the OS. I did this a number of times, keeping good records of the drivers I used, and the programs I installed each time, the issue would go away for a while and come back again. Unfortunately as the issue was intermittent to begin with I was never able to pinpoint a particular bit of software/driver that caused it to return.

I loaded a dual-boot of Ununtu linux onto the laptop and used that for a while (weeks), I never had the issue occur while I was using linux, I therefore ruled hardware out as the problem.

Figuring it was therefore a driver/OS interaction problem I tried the synaptics driver from Windows Update, a Generic Synaptics driver, and the latest driver from HP. None of these drivers solved the issue.

Many of the previous posts talk about this as a USB issue. In this laptop the Synaptics pad/stik are connected by PS2 (according to the Synaptics control panel)

Second Resolution: I hope this is the final resolution, this issue has not come back for over a week now. Someone in a previous post mentioned that a malfunctioning signal from a mouse button or similar could cause the issue. I disabled the TouchStik in the Synaptics control panel and the issue has not returned. I'm not completely convinced this will solve the issue permanently, but it seems to be good for now.......

Conclusion: I still do not believe it is a hardware issue as I never had the problem when I switched to Linux for a while, and the entire time the issue was there the mouse "clicks" worked. i.e. you could see that the OS was getting the "click" signal as you could click all you liked on the desktop, and clicking caused the foreground window to lose focus, so the clicks were being recieved by the OS, just not interpreted properly.

I hope this helps someone.

EDIT: Update March 21 - The issue has come back, so disabling the touchstik was not a permanent fix. I have not installed any software or done any updates since I posted yesterday.

Andrew

• Edited by andyoakeley Monday, March 22, 2010 12:39 AM update
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:35 AM
  • I am sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for an answer, then came back and edited my message because I took the solution by Vortex93 and tried it, it's been almost an hour, and it has not re-occurred yet. Before it was happening ever 15 min. or so.

Back for another message edit, 1.5 hours later, all is still fine, but discovered that I had installed Acronis which while looking for answer to the hung up mouse, also learned that my "Kavoom" was not working, searching their FAQ's, told to uninstall Acronis, it fixed the Kavoom, but it was after installing Acronis initially that my mouse problems started. Just an FYI

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Over a month and a half and still no problems after replacing the mouse (either with Linux or Windows in a dual-boot system). In my case I would say that the problem is solved. Whatever the exact cause was, it had to do with the hardware of the mouse, be it stray signals from the mouse or an incompatibility with the buttons or wheel. No software or drivers were changed; just the mouse was replaced with a simple 2-button mouse.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 8:18 PM
  • I've been having the same problem for a couple of months. Drives me crazy. I too can fix it temporarily with CTRL+ALT+DEL but another thing that works is CTRL+ESC.

My system: HP Desktop P6130F, 64Bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 8G RAM. This system was purchased with Vista 64 then upgraded to Windows 7 64. I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 wireless mouse that I have used for several years.

I'm going to try uninstalling the mouse driver as suggested by Vortex93. If that doesn't work I'll switch to a different mouse. There are three other computers in the house that don't have this problem; Sony Viao Windows 7 64, Dell 1410 Vista 32, and a Dell D610 XP 32 bit. I doubt if my mouse is bad. I think the driver fix will work.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 7:42 AM
  • I read all of thread as my mouse refused to click on any active windows.  It turned out to be the center mouse button being held down.  Alt+Ctry+Del Reset the connection.  Im sure I would have figured it out next time I try and play Crysis! It was nothing a quick repair job couldn't fix!  Thanks for the info guys!
    Monday, April 05, 2010 10:22 AM
  • So looks like people have been having this problem for over a year. I'm just going to add my name to this thread so maybe MSFT will take a look into this. I'm an IT professional for a school district and we have a Dell Latitude E5400 that is doing this same thing. It will do it from some accts when logged into and not others. We are running XP here. I've reinstalled drivers w/o success. I'd like to disagree with the MSFT employee that commented on this. When this problem occurs I immediately plug in a mouse (since I'm using the trackpad) and the problem still persists. Please Microsoft throw us a bone here!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Having this same exact problem on Windows 7, been happeneing for a few days, making it very difficult to work!

Win7 Ultimate
    Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse V2
    use ctrl+alt+del to get a temp fix

It usually starts with the scroll not working, then I can't select any other windows. I have used other mice and had the same problem, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and Microsoft doesn't seem to think that the PID number on the mouse actually belongs ot this product, so I can't get support through the website.

HELP!!!

Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:55 PM
  • I sorted my problem! It required a full system restore from the boot disk, I had to do this after some unknown error stopped windows booting up, even with safe mode or auto repair, and the problem disappeared afterwards! I know this isn't that helpfull as it's like started anew with a new pc, but it proves it's not a hardware fault, as nothing else has changed. I still reckon its some sort of corrupted file in windows that randomly activates or a conflict of programs, but as I've reinstalled every program i use i seriously pin this soley on the operating system. But hey, we're windows users here! we're used to this ____ and don't wimp out and buy Macs.
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:15 AM
  • I've been having the same problem for a few months. Never seen this problem before in the years since I've had this machine.

Happens sometimes (once or twice a week) after power on boot and login to my Windows XP SP3 (fully patched) Dell Dimension 4600 (desktop so no trackpad). I'm using a PS/2 mouse but have occassionally used a USB mouse. I don't know if the problem occurs when using a USB mouse (I will test). After login the problem is immediately obvious since clicking on desktop icons does nothing.

My work around: CTRL ALT DEL displays the Windows Security dialog box then I hover over Cancel button but the button doesn't change to have orange border so it doesn't have focus (as normally happens when hover over it),  click Cancel once then orange border appears, click Cancel again and the Windows Security dialog box disappears (as to be expected).

The interesting thing is that clicking a desktop icon doesn't get focus but clicking the dialog box Cancel button does. Really weird.

After this workaround Windows performs normally. I sometimes reboot (without power off / on) but don't remember if I've ever experienced the problem in that case. I'll take care in future to note if it does.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 11:18 PM
  • The same symptoms here for me. For reasons unknown and currently unreproducible, but occurring every few days, Windows enters a state where only one foreground window receives any mouse input. The mouse cursor can be moved over other windows, but they will receive no mouse-over notifications, nor any click notifications if the button is clicked. They do, however, remain responsive to keyboard operations - they system is not locked up. Tests with Spy++ indicate that no mouse WM_ messages reach any windows except one.

It does not appear to be application-specific, or mouse-specific, although I haven't tried a PS2 mouse.

Leaving the desktop either by locking the screen (Win+L) or bringing up the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen, then returning to windows (Unlocking, or just pressing the Esc key from Ctrl-Alt-Del) resolves the issue.

Full Aero interface enabled, Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Sunday, May 02, 2010 7:15 AM
  • System - Toshiba Qosmio 64-bit Windows 7 Professional (less than 90 days old)

Mouse / Logitech - MX620 Cordless Laser

I have been having the exact same issues (started about 5 days ago) as most listed as well as the same temporary fixes (CTRL-ALT-DEL) - very maddening.  I have been trying many of the same attempts also listed.  So, this morning at my wits end - I actually turned-off the mouse (something I've never done) and adjusted (decreased the Microgear) Center Wheel to where you actually feel / hear the gear when you use it. I also turned off the Bluetooth radio on my laptop . . . . . 

This is the first full day that I haven't wanted to pull my hair out  . . . . .

I realize not everybody has the same mouse -- but that's what worked for me.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:03 AM
  • After posting earlier stating that "I was 100% sure that this was not a hardware issue" (March 20) I am pretty sure now that it is is hardware issue.

I think this issue is related to the middle mouse button on the touch pad sending a signal when it is not actually in use (just like someone else said earlier).

If the issue re-occurs tapping the center (touchpad) mouse button 4 or 5 times in quick succession makes the issue go away and it will not come back for days/weeks.

Andrew
    • Proposed as answer by andyoakeley Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:59 AM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Given that multiple people are experiencing this problem (who aren't likely to all be using the same hardware), and further that I have personal experience of it occurring with two different mice, I'd say it's pretty unlikely to be a hardware issue.

Also, if it were just the case that the middle button was stuck 'on' then you could replicate the problem by holding down the middle button yourself. I've tried this, and the symptoms are not reproduced.

So no, there is still definitely a bug with Windows 7 that needs fixing.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:55 AM
  • OK, if this is a software issue with Windows, how would you explain the same problem happening with Linux? If you look at my earlier posts above, you will notice that this same problem was NOT corrected by installing a Linux operating system on a problem computer. My only solution was to stop using a mouse with a scroll wheel.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:30 AM
  • I haven't tried Linux, but it worked just fine with Windows XP before 7 was installed.

From your account, I can only assume that there's a similar bug in Linux, then. I admit it seems unlikely, but I can't think of another explanation.

Look at it logically, the hardware clearly isn't broken as the mouse continues to send correct input even when in the bugged state, and the bugged state can be resolved entirely through software and keyboard input (Ctrl+Alt+Del, Escape). The mouse hardware itself can't be stuck in a bugged state if it can be resolved without touching the hardware.

If I accept that some instantaneous erroneous data was transmitted by the mouse (which I still consider unlikely, given the variety of mice it's been demonstrated with), but even if that were the case, there should be absolutely no possible input mouse data generated in any way which results in Windows entering this state. That it does so is clearly a bug.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:48 AM
  • Interesting... when I hold down the middle mouse button the symptoms are 100% reproduced. Right down to CTRL+ALT+DEL clearing the issue for a short while. Are you using a laptop or a PC? if laptop it could be one of the touchpad buttons malfunctioning, so you could use as may external mice as you want and would still have the same issue.

Andrew
    • Edited by andyoakeley Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:55 AM add info
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:36 AM
  • when I hold down the middle mouse button the symptoms are 100% reproduced.
    Andrew

That *is* interesting. We may finally be getting somewhere. I'm using a PC, not a laptop, but there's certainly scope for more investigation in the area. Firstly, though, I want to be able to repeat your results - perhaps it's important over what you first press down the middle button?

I'm going to try and get hold of (or write) some monitoring utility that will display the current mouse-down state of each mouse button for each mouse at as low a level as is available, and leave it running until the bug appears naturally again, and see what it says.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:45 AM
  • If anyone else is interested in testing this, here's the monitoring utility I threw together and will leave running in the background for a few days: <http://www.byalexv.co.uk/temp/RawMouseButtons.zip> (.net framework required). Raw Input library provided by <http://jstookey.com/arcade/rawmouse/>. Source available on request.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Using your utility <http://www.byalexv.co.uk/temp/RawMouseButtons.zip> I have confirmed that this issue (in my case) is that the laptop believes that the centre mouse button is pressed. Tapping the middle mouse button a few times cleared the status and normal operations resumed.

Whether this is a real hardware fault, or windows thinking the mouse button is pressed when it is not I guess we will never know unless I replace the touchpad buttons. But what is 100% certain is that the OS believes the centre mouse button is pressed.

For anyone else testing this it is important to have Alex's mouse button utility running BEFORE the issue starts. Then ALT+TAB to it when you experience the issue.

Andrew
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:08 AM
  • Thanks for letting me know. I'm still waiting for the issue to re-occur on my desktop (no integrated touchpad), but so far it has not.

I can confirm that the utility must be already running to detect the buttons. Unfortunately the low-level button detection API I'm using can't query for current button state, only receive notification that the state has changed - so if it isn't running when the button goes down (or appears to), then it doesn't know about it.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:41 PM
  • If anyone else is interested in testing this, here's the monitoring utility I threw together and will leave running in the background for a few days: [...]

Hello Alex, your utility seems not working (for me at least): only buttons (1) and (2) color up blue when LMB and RMB are pressed, respectively ... numbers (3), (4) and (5) don't ever get colored , no matter which of remaining 8 buttons I press on Logitech MX1100 !

I presume that your utility must first work correct in "normal" mode (e.g. coloring (3) whenever middle (?) button is pressed) and only then can it be used to diagnose the problem at hand, right?

• Logitech SetPoint 4.80.103
    • driver version 4.82.11
    • UberOptions

Neat tool otherwise ... thank you.

ADD, tried corded PS/2 mouse with no avail, the problem doesn't appear in safe mode (at least not in 30 min).

• Edited by courteous1 Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:15 PM safe mode
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Hello All,

Having the same issue as most of you.. my Razer DeathAdder is a USB mouse had it for a few months.
    Never gave me an issue on Windows XP or Windows Vista 32-bit on my desktop, so I got a new ASUS G60 Gaming Laptop and it comes with Windows 7 64-bit I try using the mouse with it.. works for a few days I have windows updates on automatic and bam after some windows updates were installed this problem now exists.

I've tried so many solutions on so many different forums Removing USB root hub's from device manager, removing USB drivers, INFCACHE, Registry ____ you name it.. I haven't reinstall windows yet but I'm probably going to and turn off WINDOWS UPDATES.

Because I'm pretty sure it only started after the Windows Updates, but who knows Windows 7 64-bit has given me some troubles on my desktop PC also.
    Tried your application btw whoever posted it down below.. it works with my touch pad but when I click buttons on my mouse nothing works.

Thanks,
    CameronMC

Sunday, May 30, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Hmm... my guess would be that the SetPoint drivers are changing the behaviour of the buttons at a lower level that the RawInput API is reading them. I'll see if I can find any lower level access to mouse buttons.

Who knows at what level the windows issue is, though? Maybe if you used SetPoint or some other mouse software to remap or disable the physical middle click button then it wouldn't occur, or maybe the problem occurs at a higher level and it doesn't matter which physical button is stuck, if the mouse software is mapping it to "middle click".

If I do find a lower level API that I can access without doing something system-stability compromising like writing a custom driver, then I'll produce a new version of the utility to include it.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:42 AM
  • This time I've managed to get a snapshot of the most horrendous RMB menu, which, I think, has something to do with the problem.

The following happened during prolonged (a minute) mouse malfunction.
    "Add t o Dictionary" is, I guess, from FREELANG Dictionary .
    Fourth section ("P lay", "P ause", "M ute", etc.) is, I guess, from Logitech's SetPoint .
    And they're all jumbled ... e.g. see 5th section: there're 3 "Co py".

RMB menu
    • Edited by courteous1 Tuesday, June 01, 2010 9:43 AM defined "prolonged"
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 9:42 AM
  • The bug finally re-occured for me, while the mouse button utility was watching.

No mouse had the middle button (or any other button) held down. I then did some further tests:

• Clicking each of the mouse buttons on both of the mice plugged in several times did not resolve it (but did register as clicks), so it's not a physically stuck hardware button.
    • Unplugging each mouse in turn had no effect, the remaining plugged-in mouse continued to behave in exactly the same way.
    • Ctrl+Alt+Del, Escape resolved the issue as normal.

I will now discontinue running the mouse button watching utility, as I'm convinced to my own satisfaction that while having a stuck middle button may be one possible cause of the bugged state, it is not the only cause, and not the one that affects me.

I still believe this to be a software fault, but unlikely to be related to the context menu, as it did not occur when right-clicking.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 11:14 AM
  • The bug finally re-occured for me, while the mouse button utility was watching.

No mouse had the middle button (or any other button) held down. I then did some further tests:

• Clicking each of the mouse buttons on both of the mice plugged in several times did not resolve it (but did register as clicks), so it's not a physically stuck hardware button.
    • Unplugging each mouse in turn had no effect, the remaining plugged-in mouse continued to behave in exactly the same way.
    • Ctrl+Alt+Del, Escape resolved the issue as normal.

I will now discontinue running the mouse button watching utility, as I'm convinced to my own satisfaction that while having a stuck middle button may be one possible cause of the bugged state, it is not the only cause, and not the one that affects me.

I still believe this to be a software fault, but unlikely to be related to the context menu, as it did not occur when right-clicking.

This is all very interesting Alex. Since you obviously know more about these things than I do, I was wondering if you could consider the fact that changing to a 2-button mouse (without a wheel or 3rd button), the problem is resolved on both Win. and Linux? Does the operating system "know" that I don't have a middle button and therefore not create the focus issue? It would seem to me that this would be a likely path to search on in order to figure out what is actually causing the problem so that it can one day be eliminated.
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 5:55 PM
  • Put me on the side of this being a software issue.

Why would the clicks work on the <Ctrl><Alt><Del> screen if it was a HW issue?

Here's how I fixed mine (disclaimer about who knows how long I've fixed it for goes here):

Dell E4300 Laptop.  It has both the trackpad and the pointing stick on it along with 2 buttons for the pad and 3 for the touch.  Consistently won't click after a reboot until <Ctrl><Esc> or <Ctrl><Alt><Del> is pressed and then cancel clicked....just like above.

Once I had the trackpad working, I went into the touchpad program.  I noticed that I while I could click stuff with the buttons now (this is after the <Ctrl><esc> thing) I couldnl't do anything with a double-tap on the pad.  Click Enable was selected for both the pad the stick.  I think this is what allows you to normally use the pad (or stick) as a button to click...again not working even though the real buttons were.  I disabled the Touchcheck on both devices.

5 reboots and the trackpad buttons work every time.  This is after 10's and 10's of reboots where it consistently did not work.

Identical machine I've been using for years, does not have this issue and never had.

I really think my Windows 7 Pro install hosed something up....I had to build this on my laptop (new hard drive) and then move the hard drive to the other laptop once I got it from my boss.  I have it for one night for the install so I wanted to get as much ready as possible.  Since it wasn't activated and the HW is the same (serial nums diff, etc.) I figured it would work based upon reading on the internets.  After I moved the HD and booted up, I got some device driver errors.  That's when this mouse thing started - it had been working great before I moved the HD.  I reinstalled all drivers though I found no exlcamation points in Device Manager.  All to no avail. 

Friday, June 04, 2010 3:59 AM
  • could consider the fact that changing to a 2-button mouse (without a wheel or 3rd button), the problem is resolved on both Win. and Linux? Does the operating system "know" that I don't have a middle button and therefore not create the focus issue?

andyoakley has demonstrated that a stuck middle button can, under some circumstances, cause this issue. I haven't been able to pin it down exactly, and my own tests indicate that the issue can occur without the middle button being stuck too.

However, if your case was being caused by a stuck hardware button, and you changed the faulty mouse, then that would have resolved the issue for you (unless you were unlucky enough to have it caused by multiple things!). From what you describe, it sounds like that is the case.

Windows is supposed to know how many buttons the mouse has. In practice, I've found the API which reports this is completely unreliable and can report a mouse with fewer buttons than it actually has - and then report clicks occurring from those allegedly non-existent buttons. I don't know enough about Linux to comment on that.

Friday, June 04, 2010 6:44 AM
  • Ive got the same problem since this morning, and I think it is very likely a mouse hardware issue at least for me.

The symptoms are : randomly when i click with left mouse button on an apps on the taskbar or anywhere on the screen for that matter, nothing happens. Physically the left mouse button function correctly but I cant start an apps or minimize a window, whatever.

The only solution is to ctrl alt supp then once the task manager is up, then I can use the mouse correctly.

I run Win 7 64 and the mouse is a Logitech MX 620.

------------------------------------

I swapped the mouse for another logitech mouse , and surprise the problem does not appear anymore. I checked my mouse and discovered that the wheel, even if i can scroll in both ways, forward or backward, cant be pressed anymore to have the 4 arrows functions.

What I think happens is that since the mouse wheel is kinda stuck, even if scrolling works, it may send a signal constantly  to the mouse receiver plugged on the USB port and  that should like "fill" some kind of memory buffer and once its full, the only way to gain again control of the wheel is to do a ctrl alt supp .

I swapped the mouse 2 hours ago and I'm fine while this morning the problem was occurring like every 5 minutes randomly.

I also tried to reinstall Win 7, with suppressing the install partition , had the same problem right after install with no other soft installed.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Same problem with Microsoft 5 button mouse... !!!

My Forward button was stuck actually.. Didnt notice !! after seeing the reply, i just did a repair and the problem vanished.. :)

For me too, it was the mouse !! (5th button... ), if you have more buttons on your mouse, check that out :)

Regards

Rajesh

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:52 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. Have a Lenovo T61 and running Windows 7 w/ a Logitech VX revolution mouse (5 button mouse with middle wheel that doesn't click, only scrolls). I'm not as computer savy, how do I turn off buttons on my mouse? How do I fix this problem? Thinking about just buying a new mouse...
    Sunday, July 04, 2010 5:20 PM
  • Googling this problem there are some threads i've found that go back to 2007 still without an answer/fix.

I've tried every suggestion made on this thread without success.

During a clean install on a Packard Bell desktop with a brand new from Microsoft XP SP2 disc, the mouse clicks on boxes were taking ages to respond. Rules out virus or update problems.

Ctr Alt Delete has to be used virtually every few mins now. I have noticed that when this happens and TM is brought up CPU usage is showing as 100% with nothing running under Applications. Keyboard shortcuts work ok it's just the mouse clicks.

No success with using a borrowed mouse or buying a new Logitech one.

So many different machines and OS seem to have this problem so unlikely the motherboard. I've spent hours googling and trying different solutions.

It seems some have solved their problem by using a new mouse, this hasn't worked for me. Contradiktionz initial post outlines my exact problem apart from OS being XP Pro SP2.

Any input from a MS tech would be appreciated!

Friday, July 09, 2010 7:24 AM
  • same here, started experiencing this problem a couple days back, thought it was a virus, a few comprehensive system scans later I'm looking at the brand new mx518 that I am using right now as a suspect, though i'm thinking it could be something else, maybe a driver problem within the os, all in all i am unable to solve the problem as of now, will have to look into it a bit more..
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:59 AM
  • For a few weeks now I've been experiencing this problem on two PCs running XP Pro and different Microsoft mice.  After finding this forum I didn't try anything until today when on one PC I switched the left and right buttons in Control Panel/Mouse.  The right-hand button worked perfectly and the left-hand button became intermittant.  I then opened the Intellimouse 1.2A desoldered the left and right button switches, swopped them over, soldered and reassembled.  I switched the left and right buttons again in Control/Mouse.  The left-hand button has worked perfectly since and the right-hand button has been intermittant. 

I've just swopped the Intellimouse 1.2A for a 2-year old Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A and it's working perfectly. 

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Chalk up another one..  UGH.

On a Toshiba Satellite notebook.  (L305D-S5930) For me, the problem does NOT occur with an external USB mouse plugged in.  Only with the internal touch pad.  Now, my touchpad unit is kinda quirky anyway, as the right button does not work at all.  So I'm not sure if that's contributing to my woes.

Heck, at this point I'd take some kind of simple boot script that would ctrl-alt-del/esc for me.  Someone want to whip that up?  :)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:27 AM
  • I'm pretty sure scripts can't do ctrl-alt-del, by design. It's a security feature that nothing can intercept or interfere with that key combination.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:37 AM
  • thought you guys might like to know I sorted out my problem, about 6 monthes ago and holding steady actually :D

and all it required was a complete reinstall of windows vista. seriously, didn't change mouse, had all my old programs reinstalled afterwards, but it solved it

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Well, I've deleted and re-created my partition and reinstalled Vista and it didn't do anything.  And, was happening in Win7 as well, which is what prompted me to try Vista in the first place.  This is aggravating.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:27 PM
  • After trying EVERYTHING I have found out the fix for a Dell latitude E6500 is in BIOS Version A22 is switching Fastboot to Auto, instead of Thorough or Minimal. Default bios settings is "Minimal". Hope this helps everyone!
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Mine turned out to be hardware.  Replaced both buttons and the touchpad..  no more problem.
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 12:53 AM
  • It's sad to see the same problem still unsolved when you can see posts from 2007 until now...

I've got exactly the same problem with my mouse, the only solution I could find was Ctrl Alt Del and ctrl + Esc

After trying most of the solutions I read here and other forums, the bug didn't dissapear...And I'm glad to say I've finally come to a solution :D (at least it worked for me)

I have installed Windows 7 and a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 and I hope this can help to some of you who hasn't found a fix for this problem.

What I did was just to roll back the driver of both the mice and Wireless receiver and after that it has been working ok (at least for the last 5 hours, but I had the issue every 2 mins after Ctrl Alt Del)

hope this can helps to some of you

Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:22 PM
  • I first experienced this issue back in May (see my previous post).

After about 6 weeks the problem went away. I don't know what fixed it.

However, I had purchased an adapter ($1) which let me use a USB mouse in the serial port where I was using the serial mouse. However, the USB mouse would not work. I got a second adapter but that also wouldn't work. Whilst doing this I discovered a small speck of dust in the serial port connector (no idea if it was there when the problem started or if trying the adapters introduced it). After all this messing around the problem went away. I don't know if removing the dust speck solved it or trying the adapters somehow affected the mouse driver. Of course, maybe something else (eg. a couple of Windows Updates) somehow affected it.

Whatever, I have now been without the problem for 3 months.

Wish I could offer some better idea of what causes or fixes the problem.

Good luck to everyone trying to resolve this problem.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:44 AM
  • I found what may be a solution to the problem listed here and on down to the bottom but only if your using IE 7.0. Microsolf came out with a program called AERO FLIP 3D which works by clicking and holding down the Microsoft Windows Logo Key and cllicking repeatly your Tab Key. It will show on your screen and then click on it with your mouse and it at least for me stayed open after I clicked on the window and did not disapear. I am enclosing exactly what the help screen indicated below for your perusal.

To switch windows using Flip 3D

1. Press the Windows logo key Picture of the Windows logo key +Tab to open Flip 3D.

2. While holding down the Windows logo key Picture of the Windows logo key, press Tab repeatedly or rotate the mouse wheel to cycle through open windows.

3. Release the Windows logo key Picture of the Windows logo key to display the window in front of the stack. Or, click any part of any window in the stack to display that window.

To close Flip 3D, release both the Windows logo key Picture of the Windows logo key +Tab.

Tip

• Another way to use Flip 3D is to press Ctrl+Windows logo key Picture of the Windows logo key+Tab to keep Flip 3D open. You can then press Tab to cycle through the windows. (You can also press Right Arrow or Down Arrow to cycle forward one window, or press Left Arrow or Up Arrow to cycle backward one window.) Press Esc to close Flip 3D.

Note

• Flip 3D and taskbar window previews don't work unless your computer's video card can display the advanced visual effects in Windows. For more information about fixing problems with the Aero desktop experience, search Help and Support for "aero troubleshooter."

Jump to a window

Another way to quickly change which open window you're working with is to press Alt+Tab. When you press Alt+Tab, you see a list of all your open files.

To select a file, press and hold Alt and continue to press Tab until you've highlighted the file you want to open. Release the keys to open the selected window.

Try the above info and see if it will help those of you that use IE 7.0 and perhaps even Vista. Please let me know if this info helps you keep your window open and it would be nice if the mouse would not deselect the window.

Jerrymoose332

jerrymoose
    Friday, October 15, 2010 9:05 PM
  • I have had the same problem. its good to know im not alone on this. The fix i had might not help everyone, unfortunately. I just started having this problem since 2 weeks ago. The <CTRL>+<ALT>+<DEL> is only a temporary fix, and an annoying one at that. I didn't bother reading all the suggestions here but i read some of the mouse hardware problem suggestions. My default mouse ( A Microsoft Habu mouse made in cooperation w/ RAZER- which i suspect may be causing the problem) has two navigation buttons on the left side. The suggestion/s of the others before me state that at least one of those buttons may be giving weird signals to the OS- maybe because the buttons are actually pressed due to too much usage or there just happens to be dirt pressing something inside. Here's the details on the first time i tried changing mouse.

I first let the problem occur. I changed my mouse with a spare Logitech mouse which does not have any navigation buttons on the sides. After my Windows 7 automatically installed the driver for it, the pointer is moving like normal but the problem still existed. This made me consider looking for another fix. So I reinstalled the Habu mouse. Its a good thing i actually squeezed those extra buttons out of frustration because suddenly... i get a response. So the mouse hardware problem suggestion seems like a plausible fix for me. However, having to squeeze the sides of the mouse every time the problem persists is not a real fix (as i discovered i dont have to squeeze the buttons - just the side of the mouse... weird). So before buying myself a new (and more kick-@**) mouse, i decided to do another test by doing another mouse switch with the Logitech mouse (the one that doesnt have nav buttons). This time however, i did the mouse switch after i did the <CTRL>+<ALT>+<DEL> maneuver . By doing this i avoid passing on the Habu mouse error to the Logitech mouse -at least thats how i think of it. To put it simply, i switched to the mouse w/o nav buttons before the problem could present itself again.

I am typing this suggestion minutes after doing the switch and so far I'm not experiencing the problem anymore. It usually happened to me almost every 1 to 5 minutes, now i don't have it. Hope this helps at least some of you guys.

P.S.

Some1 posted sumthin about the Windows 7 feature "Aero Flip 3D". Sorry but i think flippin through windows that you cant click on in the first place doesn't really help at all. It's practically like an ALT+TAB feature that looks better.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:21 AM
  • I had a similar problem, although for me, not even ctrl+alt+delete worked. 

for me, the solution to my problem was definitely hardware. Above, a few people had mentioned that the MIDDLE MOUSE key could get stuck and that this would cause the problem. My middle mouse key was perfectly fine at the time, so I just let it go after Alex said that there were probably multiple causes (which is probably true). 

However, when I looked at my mouse more closely, I suddenly realized that my two navigation buttons WERE physically stuck. I am inclined to think this was not a software issue (for me), because I've been using the same mouse and the same version of Windows 7 for about a year or so now, and this problem began recently and between major updates.

Anyway, for anyone with this problem, it's definitely worth checking carefully to see if there is a physical problem with your mice.

That is all. 

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hy,

I had the same issue with my pc. The problem was hardware. The back button of my mouse was hunged . As  a test i connected the mouse to a friend's laptop and then the issue was clear. I suggest that all of you will test the mouse on another pc.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Hi all 

I am too having the same problem as you all mentioned. I am using Win 7 and Microsoft Mouse 2000. Whenever i plugged out my mouse receiver, or switch off my mouse, the problem will come back and I have to either ctrl+alt+del or activate UAC or ctrl +esc to remove this problem. Hope can see new advice coming.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Hi all,

I had the same issue with Toshiba Satelite laptop, Vista without mouse connected. What I noticed was that if I had any browser open, with the cursor blinking in address bar, every 5~6 seconds the cursor disappeared as if it was moved to another window and after some seconds it was back again. This happened in all browsers I have (firefox, chrome, IE). In order to solve it, I rolled back in previous system without SonyEricsson's PC companion & without antivir sw, that I had installed lately.

I don't know which program is "faulty" but now I can write this message to you without annoying disturbances.

• Proposed as answer by chipajackson Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:34 AM
  • I have had the same problem as talked about above for several months, first on a Gateway, then on a Toshiba laptop, both running Win7.  No problems on the 2 computers running XP.  Thought it was a Win 7 problem.  After reading your forum, I realized the common component was the same wireless mouse I moved to the Toshiba when the Gateway died.  I tried moving the wireless mouse to one of my XP computers and put it's mouse on the Toshiba and the problem moved with the mouse.  While it might be a software "glich", it is one a problem in that physical mouse is triggeriing.  Solution was to buy another mouse and no more problem.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Thanks for a useful thread, all.  After reading/skimming, sounds like it might come from mashing mouse buttons, I have a Logitech G700 gaming mouse (the mouse can be used both wired and wireless) with lots of buttons.  I'll try to do some testing next time it happens to me!

• Proposed as answer by Jayman1000 Friday, January 28, 2011 7:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:00 PM
  • I've the same problem on Windows 7 x64. Mouse clicks and movements are only "accepted" on the desktop but not on the taskbar or any other application (that covers the same screen region as the desktop, when maximized). The only solution is to use "Ctrl+Alt+Del" (thanks for  the hint btw.).

I've a special case though: I'm running Windows in a VMWare. So for me it's definitely not a hardware problem. I've uninstalled the VMWare tools so I doubt it's a problem with WMWare. The problem even persists through reboots. I also tried the solution described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us) but it didn't solve the problem either. I even wrote a program that displays mouse button up and mouse button down events (when they occur) as well as the mouse position. And this program displayed every single mouse click and the mouse position correctly so mouse events make it to Windows (but apparently not to the right application).

I find this whole thing very frustrating. Please get this fixed, Microsoft!

PS: Actually I can't really imagine that this could be a hardware problem. I mean why the mouse (as in hardware mouse) be so selective on which application gets mouse clicks and which don't. As I wrote above it's certainly not a problem of the screen region the mouse is in (since maximized applications don't work either). It may be a driver problem though, but I doubt it.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:18 AM
  • well, i solved this problem. i had it going on in my PC for a few days. tried a few things. this was the only thing that worked: UNINSTALL your current ANTI-VIRUS app. i was running Avira. i've heard others had this same problem with AVG. i don't know why. but this solves it 100%.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:35 AM
  • well, i solved this problem. i had it going on in my PC for a few days. tried a few things. this was the only thing that worked: UNINSTALL your current ANTI-VIRUS app. i was running Avira. i've heard others had this same problem with AVG. i don't know why. but this solves it 100%.
    Well, it doesn't solve the problem in my case as I don't have any anti-virus application installed.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:55 AM
  • While writing the following I realised what is happening.

What happens is that it seems that the CTRL button is pressed all the time, though it isnt. I have this problems also. I cant believe that a solution has not yet been found...

I also experienced this on my old system with Windows XP professional. I have changed mouse and USB ports and keyboard, but it does not make any difference, so its not mouse buttons or button mashing. The first mopuse is used and from Logitech. My second mouse is from Logitech and is brand new out of the package. The third mouse is used and from Microsoft. I am really convinced this has nothing to do with a hardware error in the mouse or stuck button or something like that.

The problem in detail: As many others have described, suddenly I cannot select windows with mouse clicks. Its like focus is lost from the current window and it is like focus is suddenly on another hidden window; its just that there are no other hidden window. I cannot say what actually provokes this to happen. It is most certainly something that happens when working with the mouse and keyboard somehow. I have tested this by doing nothing for hours, but this does not provoke the error. It happens suddenly while doing something. I wish I knew what on earth provokes this to happen. As It happens after a few minutes after starting windows. I notice it mostly when I need to click on different tabs in Firefox, mouseclicks on tabs does nothing. Then I can press ctrl-alt-del, task manager comes up, close it, and everything is back to normal.
     At least for a few seconds/minutes then its there again.

Another thing I have noticed is that when it happens, many keyboard buttons opens shortcust to different windows and functions in windows. For example pressing 'w' will always close the current tab in firefox. When using the mouse scroll wheel it zooms in and out. I know that is a function of Firefox that is activated by pressing CTRL. So I tested it and found out that what happens is that the CTRL funtion is activated. This also applies elsewhere than Firefox.

Go ahead and try it yourself. Try pressing down CTRL all the time and do something like selecting selecting multiple icons on the desktop and deselecting them. See how annoying that is? Again ctrl-alt-del 'fixes' this for a very short time.

Can you guys confirm that you experience the same as me, regarding the pressed CTRL-button effect?

EDIT: Though pressing CTRL does not provoke all of the same functions that is present when the error occures. For example pressing CTRL then I can still select different tabs in firefox. THough CTRL+ W also closes the current tab as is happening when the error occures.

EDIT2: Hmm so I tested some more. Seems the error goes away simply by pressing the CTRL button... Since my current keayboard is very new, and it also happens with my old keayboard on this computer, I still dont believe it to be a hardware error with the keyboard.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:02 PM
  • in relation to my above post: Can someone or anyone confirm that they can obtain the same temporary fix as ctrl-alt-del whem simply pressing ctrl once?

EDIT: I have tested some more. It seems that ctrl still only fixes some of the problem. For example, pressing escape will always make the windows menu appear, the same as when you click the windows start menu button in the left lower corner. After crtl this still happens.

I also found out that if I choose 'Change user' and then just chooses the same user again, this has the exact same effect as ctrl-alt-del,. it fixes the problem temporarily.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:16 PM
  • I solved this problem by changing mouse.

I have 2 MX518 mice and 1 Razer. My new 518 was causing the problems, no issues when using the other 2. Faulty Mx18 causes the same problem on both my desktop and laptop.

Sunday, February 06, 2011 6:34 AM
  • same problem on dell studio 1555 and a razer diamondback.  weird thing it i used the same mouse and computer for over a year with no trouble.  then new windows update came out and i installed and and the problem started occuring.

did system restore to no avail.  ctr alt delete temporarily solves problem.  i also un-installed my razer utility driver so i dont have a windows 4 and 5 button anymore, but it defnitely isnt the cause of the problem as ive been using those buttons for over a year.

microsoft please release a patch!  this tread is the perfect description of my problem.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:46 AM
  • This problem just popped up for me a few days ago and I'm so glad I finally found this after searching for a couple hours. I use a Razer Death Adder and after reading through the posts I have been able to recreate the problem by hold down the top button on the left side of the mouse. What's odd though is I plugged in my spare death adder(I've had bad luck with previous brands of mice so when I realized I preferred razer I bought a second) it didn't suddenly work ok, and then I took one of my old logitech mice that is basically my spare backup it also didn't respond to my clicks.

As of right now the problem seems to have been fixed!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:36 AM

It did mine, i had a second middle mouse on my keyboard that got stuck. It was causing all my headaches and I just had to un-stick it :) everything works and back to normal.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:53 AM

It did mine, i had a second middle mouse on my keyboard that got stuck. It was causing all my headaches and I just had to un-stick it :) everything works and back to normal.

Exact the same problem occured to me a month ago. Really tired of doing "ctrl+alt+delete".

Using xp and Using a wireless keyboard and mouse; Microsoft Keyboard 6000 (v3.0) and Mouse 6000 (v2.0).

• Proposed as answer by meatbrain Friday, April 08, 2011 5:16 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 2:08 AM
  • The problem that I'm having is that my mouse sporadically "unfocuses" my current active window when I click, and will not interact with anything onscreen. The computer isn't freezing, you can still move the mouse but can’t click on anything. You also can’t click and drag. Also the mouse looks like a standard pointer, not the spinning blue circle. There is no visible active window, it's as if there is an invisible window on top of everything else, that stops the clicks from going through. When this happens, mousing over things doesn't provoke a response; For instance - Mousing over a link in a webpage doesn't turn the cursor into a hand signifying a clickable link. The keyboard still responds perfectly, and all programs continue running normally. This occurs at any given time, while on or offline.
    When this problem happens, I can press ctrl-alt-delete, and click once anywhere on that blue screen to make the mouse begin to respond again. Then I click cancel and go back to whatever I was doing for anywhere between 5 seconds and 30 minutes when the problem happens again

This computer is virus free, and I've seen others have this problem on a fresh install of Windows Vista. I have tried this mouse in other computers, and the problem doesn't happen. I've also tried other mice in this computer and it still occurs. I've been told by other who have the same problem that it "Happens with touchpads, pointing stick, wireless mouse, wired USB mouse", and possibly others as well. I'm running an OEM Windows Vista Home Premium, fully updated, MSI K9N4 SLI Motherboard, AMD 4600+ processor, Razor Deathadder mouse, Logitech G15 Keyboard, ATI Radeon 4870 HD Graphics card, and 4GB Mushkin ddr2 sdram. It also occured with 2gb of corsair ram and an 8800gts graphics card.

If you have any questions concerning hardware/software/what i had for breakfast, I'll gladly answer.
    If you have any ideas, I will pretty much try anything at this point.
    As of now, I have tried every idea at this website - http://blog.bidenpc.com/267/vista-mouse-cant-click/ - to no avail.
    Thank you for your time, please help if you can.

IT IS THE MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know many of you won't believe me, but here is the proof. I am running Windows 7 Home premium, with a quad core and 8 GiGs of RAM. My computer crashed for the first and only time last week, and I have been having the famous dead left click issue unless I do a control altrnate delete, then all is well. I read all 50 pages of this thread. I swore, cried and was frustrated as hell. I tried every possible trick. nothing worked. I scanned all the hardware and software and also did a restore. Same problem. Every boot up my  Logitech mouse, which had been running perfectly until this event, could not activate an icon on my screen but could start the start button, until I did you know what.

I took my mouse and it workred on two other PCs and 2 laptops. But still, when you hear hoofs think of horses. MY MOUSE wasn't working. I tied a wired MS mouse..and low and behold, it didn't have the problem. And when I looked at control panel, at the offending Loguitech mouse, under hardware, the mouse left click froze when I tried to do "properties" with it. So, cont/alt/delete and all was fine. This mouse....something about the mouse. So I went to Frys, bought the identical Logitech mouse (track ball) (newer version but identical) and low and behold, trhe  problem is gone. Gone Gone Gone. Praise Allah!!! In retrospect the mouse was shorting out the part of the OS that controls it, and with the new one, when I looked at hardeware, in control panel, I found under properties that it was working properly! No freeze!!!! So all of you poor people: just because the mouse looks fine and works well elswhere doesn't mean it isn't the offender. Check your problem mouse properties under hardware in Control panel, then properties and you will freeze up. Get a new mouse and I hope and pray you are as lucky as me.

I did the old/new replacement three times: old mouse caused the left click problem, retart with new mouse no problem. I hope this helps many of you,

Barry.

Friday, April 08, 2011 5:15 AM
  • Please see my soloution after the first quote of this thread page one. I have solved it for me for sure. Full explanation at beginning of thread. good luck!
    Friday, April 08, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Still, the question remains whether it's a fault at Microsoft's end or at the end of the mouse's manufactor. And since it says in your quote that he has tried the mouse on different computers I tend to believe, it's Microsoft's fault.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Please keep this thread going!
    I have the same problem except the touchpad won't click at all straight away so I have to press enter to get into my user account then I must go into task manager in order for the left click to work - after that only left click works! So I have not right click and I cannot tap to click on the touchpad (though I can scroll up and down on the side of the touchpad). Very annoying!

First time here so not sure if this has been answered.  I have vista, sp2.  recently the laptop left click quit working.  Can't get it back.  even after I hit ctl/alt/del, etc.  .  Also went into setting for the pointing device and the left click is "on", not disabled.  Rt click is fine, touch pad is fine.  However, can't  double tap for it to "click" but it does scroll.  Have attached a mouse and it does work.  (actually, IMPORTANT, attached mouse first and clicker continued to work for about two weeks).

Any thoughts?  Thanks.  Love this site, very thankful to have found it!  Took me forever!!  Now, if I can just find my way back :)

• Proposed as answer by ajdm48 Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ajdm48 Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:25 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 5:52 PM
  • My first post, though I've been watching this thread for ages (and others) hoping for an answer.  Now I think I have solved my issue (but this may not work for everybody).

I am running Windows 7 Professional with XP mode on a Dell Inspiron 580.  After about two hours work, the left click would not work- either on open windows, their contents (e.g. web links) or on taskbar items (but never all of these straight away).  Ctrl-alt-del then cancel got things right for a few minutes then it would happen again... and again.. eventually nothing would respond to left click and I had to restart.  It was particularly problematic after I was away from the computer for a bit.

I tried.. a full virus scan,  new wireless mouse, an old (wired) mouse, deleting mouse drivers and installing a new one, new screen drivers, removing Dell Dock, removing a save desktop utility, prohibiting sleep/suspend mode, prohibiting any power management, preventing mouse from waking up computer, and updated BIOS.  I did not remove McAfee because the problem was also occurring in Windows XP mode with AVG.  None of this worked.

I noticed that there were, apart from my Logitech 505 mouse, two other "mouse and other pointing devices" in Device Manager.   I uninstalled them but this made no difference.  Then I noticed that they popped back after restart.   So instead  I disabled them.  And my problem vanished, and has not appeared for over a week.  They are just sitting there, disabled.

Not sure how they come to be there or why they get reinstalled but I am now a happy chappy.  Hope this helps some of you with the same issue.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:27 PM
  • I noticed that there were, apart from my Logitech 505 mouse, two other "mouse and other pointing devices" in Device Manager.   I uninstalled them but this made no difference.  Then I noticed that they popped back after restart.   So instead  I disabled them.  And my problem vanished, and has not appeared for over a week.  They are just sitting there, disabled.

Hey @ajdm48,

You got it right. After going nuts for 3 weeks now, and close to smash my Logitech MX620 about 55 times, you got it solved.

Here you have the steps - for those still fighting with the ol' Mighty Microsoft:

1) Go to the Device Manager (WIN+Pause / Advanced System Settings / Hardware Tab / Device Manager)

2) You will see all your hardware listed.

3) Scroll down to "Mice and other pointing devices"

4) Right Click on "HID-Compliant Mouse"

5) Choose DISABLE, not UNINSTAL (if uninstalling, it will pop-up again after a reboot)

Normally, in the "Mice and other pointing devices" window, you should see your mouse (if it is a brand mouse) and the Synaptics touchpad if you have a laptop.

If the above 5 steps do not solve your problem, try DISABLING, not uninstalling, all the other mouse devices existing there and only leave your brand mouse and the Synaptics touchpoint.

I hope this helps you too from throwing away your expensive mouses :)

Thanks  @asdm48 for the solution.

• Proposed as answer by Stevishere Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:46 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:20 PM
  • SOLVED

OMG :)

Thanks ajdm48 and DfHugp for this valuable tips , i hope my problem permanently solved.

i found Two " HID complaint mouse "  in my device manager "mice and other pointing devices".

i disable the first one  then my mouse stop working , so i enable that and disable the second one. wow now my problem solved.

after long time this problem was solved , thanks again friends.

Sunday, June 05, 2011 1:37 PM
  • I had the same problem. Disabling the "HID compliant mouse" device did not work for me.

In the end it turned out that "tap on click" of the touchpad of my Dell E4300 seemed to be somehow "stuck" on click (I do not know what that means, though, cause it was still working for moving the mouse icon on screen). Anyway this seemed to cause the problem to hinder active window for receiving mouse clicks correctly. The actual physical buttons of the touchpad mouse (or point stick) seemed to work normally and not to be stuck anyhow. Quite odd, I might say...

In the end the solution was to replace the touchpad hardware. I was lucky to have laptop's warranty still valid.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Brilliant.  Simply brilliant.

Dell Optiplex 360. Running Windows 7 Pro x64.

I had plugged in my wireless Belkin Keyboard a couple of weeks ago and was fighting this exact issue.

I was still using the original Dell USB mouse.  

Found 2 mice listed as you pointed out.

I am now back in business!

Thanks! Steve
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:49 PM
  • I noticed that there were, apart from my Logitech 505 mouse, two other "mouse and other pointing devices" in Device Manager.   I uninstalled them but this made no difference.  Then I noticed that they popped back after restart.   So instead  I disabled them.  And my problem vanished, and has not appeared for over a week.  They are just sitting there, disabled.

Hey @ajdm48,

You got it right. After going nuts for 3 weeks now, and close to smash my Logitech MX620 about 55 times, you got it solved.

Here you have the steps - for those still fighting with the ol' Mighty Microsoft:

1) Go to the Device Manager (WIN+Pause / Advanced System Settings / Hardware Tab / Device Manager)

2) You will see all your hardware listed.

3) Scroll down to "Mice and other pointing devices"

4) Right Click on "HID-Compliant Mouse"

5) Choose DISABLE, not UNINSTAL (if uninstalling, it will pop-up again after a reboot)

Normally, in the "Mice and other pointing devices" window, you should see your mouse (if it is a brand mouse) and the Synaptics touchpad if you have a laptop.

If the above 5 steps do not solve your problem, try DISABLING, not uninstalling, all the other mouse devices existing there and only leave your brand mouse and the Synaptics touchpoint.

I hope this helps you too from throwing away your expensive mouses :)

Thanks  @asdm48 for the solution.

Hi guys,

Me again.

The above solution solved only partially my problem. The % of time this was happening decreased a lot ... but was still present.

After searching, loosing time witha  format, I finally found the issue that solves 100% the situation.

To increase my productivity ... I was using an app called "Texter" from Lifehacker.com. This app was causing the entire issue.

I removed it and all my worries are gone. I am working since 2 days with ABSOLUTELY no issue.

As I was missing the app, i also found a replacement - Robotype (google it and you'll find free copies)

I hope it helps.

Monday, June 20, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Just thought id add my experience with the same problem;

Exact same problems with the deselecting of the window tried; restarting, formatting, reinstalling windows  etc..

Just about everything, then as I was waiting for my desktop to finish formatting I transferred my mouse over to my laptop; due to my sheer hate of using a touchpad. 

There is was; the problem again

I was using a Razer Deathadder, I am certain this is the cause of the problem, and its also backed by the fact others within this thread are using the same.

Hope this helps anyone who experiences this horrible problem; Lesson learnt; will start from the basics before taking drastic measures again.

Friday, July 01, 2011 11:16 AM
  • I think i found a solution for this problem :)...

1st. Open Device Manager (Press start, than open Run and type devmgmt.msc ).
    2nd. Go Mice and Other Pointing Devices and than PS/2 Compatible Mouse .
    3rd. Right Click on it, and choose Properties and click Uninstall .
    4rd. Restart your pc :-)

Hope this Helps.

Worked for me - although it wasn't a PS/2 mouse - it was labelled HID.  THe mouse was a wireless Logitech G7 on which the scroll wheel had stopped working - I guess it must be sending a signal that is obstructing other mouse and trackpad (I'm on a Dell Vostro running vista) clicks.  There were two HID entires in device manger and I lost one when I disconnected the USB connection, and manually uninstalled the remaining one - only entry left on my decive manger was the trackpad.  Problem immediately resolved. 

I thought the initial problem was a software update to vista - but then realised as I read this that I'd started using the mouse at the same time having dug it out of the garage on a clear-out. 

Monday, July 04, 2011 8:09 PM
  • ha. i just got this problem as well. I will try disabling 2nd HID device when i go home. When i have this issue, scroll wheel does not work in IE

window but does work in explore (say c:\windows) to scroll contents. Like others said, this could be a hardware issue also. My KB/Mouse sometime refuse to do anything almost as if they are not connected. I thought it was battery issue but that wasn't it. But that usually got it working ok after 5 sec or so. Then i now have this problem of not being able to use left click and wheel.

In addition to this, my screen saver/monitor off feature does not work while i have this issue.  I can set timeout to 1 min, sit and watch to see how it goes.  Right after i press Ctl-Alt-Del to get everything working, it works.  After a while, that button problme would come back and screen saver will not kick in either.

any case, i will try disabling one HID mouse in the device manager before i go and buy a new kb.mouse package.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Solution for Laptop Users -

The problem is a conflict between your Stick/Touchpad/Mouse. The stick is probably failing, but you can get around having to replace your keyboard if you do this:

1. Install the latest TOUCH PAD driver from your manufacturer (dell/hp/compaq)

2. Go into the touchpad settings and disable the "tap to click" for your stick. (this might solve your problem)

3. If you still see the problem you are going to have to disable the "tap to click" for the touchpad as well.

For those of use using External mice, disabling the HID mouse in device manager doesn't do anything for us - except making our mice stop working.

Solution for desktop users

- No idea good luck.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:57 PM
  • update to my own post...

disabling 2nd HID mouse did not help.  I got old KB and tablet out and removed current KB/mouse.  all is fine now.  I guess mouse/kb is bad.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Hello everybody,

I have the solution of the problem.

You can see it here : http://www.fixya.com/support/t1246772-wacom_mouse_driving_me_insane

In fact, it's a mouse button problem because the wear of the plastic button  prevent the normal use of the click button.

You should change your mouse or simply put a piece of cardboard (or thick paper) under the printed circuit board in order to heighten the circuit.

You can also clean the mouse just under the plastic button of the upper part of the mouse.

This simple operation have solved  the random click and drag problem.

I hope it will also help you.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:05 AM
  • While this may exhibit a similar behavior, I doubt it's related to the real problem in this thread. As I mentioned before, I'm having this problem within a Virtual Machine and my trackpad works fine outside of the VM. So it's definitely not a hardware issue (at least not one of "dirty" mouse).
    Friday, July 15, 2011 8:25 AM
  • I had the same problem back in 2010 when I installed windows7. I called Microsoft support, they did a remote desktop connection and tried different stuffs. When they login it was working fine, I couldn't reproduce it. After many calls turned futile I gave up. I decided that microsoft knows this issue but pretending to be not aware. I got used to the ctrl+alt+del workaround, somehow it disappeared eventually, I don't even remember when it disappeared.

Now that I reinstalled windows7 as always after a period of usage the windows OS becomes slower like a snail. I didn't have any issues for few days. But the nightmare started 2 days back. I am sure microsoft support is of no use. Having carpal tunnel I don't really feel like clicking a dead mouse many times in an effort to get the focus. I am back to ctrl+alt+del.

I just now followed one of the above instructions to disable HID mouse while typing this post. There were 3 entries in the device manager, I disabled 2 of them. It seems to have fixed the issue. I don't know if it really did. If it didn't solve the issue, I will update this post. Please assume that the solution worked for me if I don't update this post.

fyi: it's been more than 15 mins since I disabled the HID-compliant mouse. I don't see the issue so far. I guess it works.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:03 AM
  • I just recently ran into the same problem  

I'm on a Samsung R700 laptop running Windows 7 with a touchpad and a microsoft wireless mouse

The window would lose focus after being clicked on, mouse clicks to windows UI (buttons, checkboxes, taskbar, start menu) would be unresponsive (except right clicking on the desktop)  

When using Google Chrome browser, *left clicking on a tab would close it*

Mouse clicks seemed to register fine in programs that handled mouse events on a lower level (games)  

CTRL+ALT+DEL would temporarily fix the problem. 

It's apparent that the issue is with a sticky mouse button or click event being stuck.  

CTRL+ALT+DEL likely clears the mouse and keyboard event queues, or resets all the 'mouse is pressed' switches or something, which temporarily fixes the problem until the sticky signal is sent and stuck again  

The problem was definitely with my USB mouse, since my laptop had been working fine for months until I started using this mouse

However, once the problem appears, it persists even after unplugging the mouse and using another one or just my touchpad 

Solution:

Unplug the mouse immediately after a CTRL ALT DELETE

I hope this helps someone, and microsoft should really provide a tool that we can use to detect what mouse or keyboard buttons are currently pressed to help with troubleshooting

• Proposed as answer by CheapSteaks Wednesday, August 10, 2011 12:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:48 PM
  • I just got rid of the same bug that was with me for almost a year. I had to press Ctrl+Alt+Del after every boot. The problem was in my mouse. It is A4 tech X7 X-748K and it has usual forward backward buttons on the side, which I never use. Button forward was constantly pressed and that was the reason of my issue. I disassembled the mouse, bent the contacts of the button switch and made the button work. And the problem dissapeared. 
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I have a problem that may be the same, or related, or unrelated.  Most of the above troubles are my troubles, but I am not using an external monitor or a mouse.  I'm using the touchpad on a Dell Latitude D630.  It's been working fine for 3 years or so.  Only in the past week or two have I had this issue. 

I'll be working along and a dialog box will pop up in the center of the screen, and I'll attempt to select a button, and nothing will happen.  I'll try to click in text I've written, to add or delete something, and no amount of clicking will locate the cursor at that spot.  (I can, however, click on some text above that, and then arrow down to the spot I want.)  I'll select a cell in a spreadsheet and try to right-click to format, and I won't get the formatting menu (I'll get a little box that offers three choices:  minimize, configure, exit).  It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be really irritating.

But what someone else at work had shown me ... a frustrating problem they'd had on a PC ... I have found is true with my current situation:  This always seems to happen in the same general location on my screen - an area maybe 4"x6".  It doesn't make sense, but this is what I've experienced:  If I can grab the top of the active window and move it up or down or horizontally to another part of my display, and get the cell or button into a more responsive zone on my screen, then everything is fine.  As I type this it occurs to me that I normally work with several windows open, none of them full-screen.  I'll play with using all my windows at full-screen size and see what happens.

Meanwhile, maybe someone else could let me know if moving their windows improves the responsiveness, or if we have completely unrelated issues? 

btw, my coworker no longer has the problem, and he reports that our "help desk" solved it via remote.  Possibly it's just a matter of describing the problem properly to Tech Support, or possibly the person tried several things until one worked.  I did recently install new updates that were provided to all of us, and maybe something in one of those has caused this.  But I'd really like to know what the cause is, and how to fix it.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:24 PM
  • ....  it's as if there is an invisible window on top of everything else, that stops the clicks from going through  ....

I think I've figured it out, as it relates to MY problem.  Whether this solves others' problems remains to be seen.

The key was in the quote above, from the OP.  There IS an invisible window, and in my case it is the WinSig window.  When I got that little box with the 3 choices that I mentioned above  -  minimize, configure, exit  -  I decided to play with the choices.  When I hit "minimize," the WinSig window suddenly minimized to the lower left corner, although I had seen no sign of it before.  While it was there, I had no problems.  Then I played with the "configure" choice.  I noticed a block that was checked, "Force WinSig to front when active."  I unchecked it.  Again, no problems. 

I won't pretend to know what WinSig is about - it's provided by my employer, and I thought it had to do with proprietary software, but perhaps a) others are also running WinSig or b) others are running different software that behaves in this same way - bringing the active (but not visible) window to the front, preventing the user from accessing the window the user thinks is/wishes were active.  Does this make sense?  Feedback, please?

R

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:26 PM
  • I just had some luck with a fix, not sure how temporary it will be. I read that some people had multiple entries for the mouse on the device manager. I didn't, but still had the same problem described. Instead I right clicked on the one 'HID-compliant mouse' entry and 'scan for hardware changes', and lo and behold, the problem is gone for the moment. I am using a Razor Abyssus. This is after dealing with this for weeks, what an infuriating bug.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:54 PM
  • ditto...but I love my logitech w/all the buttons...I'm over-using my left-front button so it apparently has been sticking and causing me the problem. Now, I unstick it and click on and on and I'm fine with that :o} Thank you all for sharing...
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:02 PM
  • OH MY GOD
    i had the same FUCKING PROBLAM for like a HALF YEAR
    i almost threw my new computer right out the window i swear god
    anyway, I MANAGED TO BEAT IT
    my mouse is Razer Mamba 3.5g and seems like the problam was on one of my buttons beacase i clicked on them all and releasing them. after that, it started to get normal again and I AM THE HAPPIEST MAN ALIVE RIGHT NOW :D
    i hope u guys will fix ur probs too
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:27 PM
  • @Meni yekutiel (See above)

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

The problem is solved... for now. :/ I'll reply if the problem returns again.

Btw, my mouse is a Logitech M705 Marathon Mouse.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive, I almost lost hope on solving this problem.

Right now I'm really HAPPY! :D 

Thursday, September 01, 2011 12:58 AM
  • TO ALL WHO HAVE THIS F***ING PROBLEM AND FEEL LIKE THEY ARE GOING INSANE TO THE POINT OF PUTTING THIER FIST THROUGH THE MONITOR..... DON'T :P

I have had this bother me for around or over a year and found this forum about a month ago (made me so happy there was finally something that was relevant to this issue)

I FIXED my issue today - and will say that it was a hardware (button) fault.

Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 - I noticed somewhere on here someone has the same mouse and mentioned the middle click button stopped working... well.... that was it: I hadn't realised that mine was too faulty as I made one of the side buttons my "middle-click" so today I thought I have had enough, I am going to make this bs go away.

What I did was took my mouse apart and after spending/wasting time trying to fix the button (poorly designed mechanism I might add) shame on you MS. Luckily it was seperate to the main board and I was able to remove the little board with the button on it, put the mouse back together and to my delight fixed the problem. I was such a happy chappy after fixing what I thought would never go away I had tried re-installs so many time. Like someone else said he/she tried Linux and had the same issue so you can throw out blaming Windows or Linux for that matter. I bet It is for all you people out there, sadly a hardware problem that will cost you money to replace but before you do might aswell try and fix it first and if you break your mouse well heck you woulda had to buy another one anyway so no harm done. As for people who have this issues with laptop track-pads.... I can only assume they could be faulty or you have a mouse plugged in causing the problem...

I hope that this will shed some light on to all you people with this problem!!!! Don't be afraid to take apart your mouse, even if you feel like 'shit I'm gonna break it' coz believe me I felt the same way.... took me a while to get mine apart

P.S I had to glue one of the side covers back on XD so google 'how to take apart <make/model> mouse' or you will most likely be less fortunate tham me and break something as I got lucky.

GO BEAT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Had the same problem and it's definitely a mouse problem: the wheel button intermittently gets stuck in the ON position. If your mouse is Logitech's and you're using their Setpoint software (for my W7-64 sys the Driver version is 4.82.11), here's a quick fix.

1. Open the Setpoint settings

2. Got to the mouse settings.

3. Button # 3 is the scroll button. Select it.

4. Then under "Select Task" select "Other".

5. Click on the "Select Function" button and select "Do Nothing"

6. Apply and OK.

This effectively disables the mouse button and solves the problem. Beyond that it's fix the mouse, or get another ;)

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:35 AM
  • Same problem here.. i just press Ctrl and problem solved (every time i start up Windows). In my case isn't a hardware problem (i guess). I have two partitions with Windows Starter and 7 installed and in the first one it works just fine.
    • Proposed as answer by Ilkin Jamalli Friday, December 16, 2011 9:30 AM
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Thank you for your comments. I have been having the same frustrating problem. I also have a logitech wireless mouse and am going to buy a new one. What brand did you buy? Thanks again for your helpful comments. Terri
    Friday, December 02, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Pressing Ctrl helped to resolve my issue. This was happening to my Win 7 after hibernating with dual screens and waking up the laptop on its own.

Thanks Chris932002!

Regards, Ilkin
    Friday, December 16, 2011 9:33 AM
  • I have a client who has a similar problem and have read most of this post but didn't see any mention of the two things I noticed.

First, under DEVICE MANAGER, check the USB hub and UNCHECK the option below and see if there is any improvement.

Second, check the power settings in Vista/Win7 turn off USB SELECTIVE SUSPEND

www.supertechteam.com
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:22 PM
  • thx alot,at last googled it right,read a few quotes,and started to use everything proposed,till got to message about jammed mouse button,well turned to be right,one of left buttons on my mouse turned to be jammed(a lot of dust got there,and i was to busy to study it),fixed it and all works.
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 12:33 AM
  • I have this problem a week ago when it suddenly appear, finally got it solved and I believe it was the 'mouse ploblem'...

I have 2 mouse with me, the one that I used before with my laptop is a Polar optical mouse, the other one is a Microsoft wireless optical mouse. Simply replacing the mouse didn't help, so I first uninstalled all the USB driver to make sure the laptop didn't have any memory of my USB devices, then I restarted the laptop and let it auto installed back all the USB drivers. I plugged in the Polar mouse and the problem appear again. I uninstalled/reinstalled all the USB driver again and this time I plugged in the Microsoft mouse the the problem never appear again since I did this 2 days ago! 

I don't know why I need to uninstall/install all the USB device to get the problem solved but I hope this method may help for those who have tried all other methods.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:25 PM
  • In my case (Microsoft Wireless Mouse 4000), the additional side button was simply stuck mechanically, probably due to dust or dirt, and I had to release it by force. Now the problem doesn't occur anymore. Hope this helps others experiencing the problem - just check whether any of the buttons you usually don't even use is stuck.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:17 PM
  • description : hd compliant mouse

power required : 100mA

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Hi all,

Just go to BIOS setting and choose Mouse setting as P/S 2 ( disable touchpad when external mouse exists) instead of Integrated Mode.

Hope this is helpful to those who use Dell latitude E (and might also help others).

Regards,

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:36 AM
  • "A script on this page is keeping your browser busy". That's what I get when I sign in (instead of just accessing the page). Same program (Firefox), same page, just by being signed in I get troubled. Had to stop the "script". And yet I was able to post this. Second, this so-called mouse problem has been arising like a cloud of grasshoppers since, coincidently, and timely-tied with the advent of three pieces of software: 1. Vista. 2. W7. 3. W8. Anyone with a mere remainder of neurons will find the few, occasional threads on this problem and immediately link the dates. I really hope that iOS and Android beat the hell out of Windows.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:16 AM
  • EXACT same scenario for me. It's a mouse problem which explains why it can happen across OS and HW platforms. Same mouse, the left side button was jammed in (my wife forgot to tell me she dropped it...) Same symptoms.... left click stops working mouse or touchpad. ctrl-atl-del or ctrl-esc brings it back temporarily. Cleared the mouse button and all is well. Google is great.

I have this problem a week ago when it suddenly appear, finally got it solved and I believe it was the 'mouse ploblem'...

I have 2 mouse with me, the one that I used before with my laptop is a Polar optical mouse, the other one is a Microsoft wireless optical mouse. Simply replacing the mouse didn't help, so I first uninstalled all the USB driver to make sure the laptop didn't have any memory of my USB devices, then I restarted the laptop and let it auto installed back all the USB drivers. I plugged in the Polar mouse and the problem appear again. I uninstalled/reinstalled all the USB driver again and this time I plugged in the Microsoft mouse the the problem never appear again since I did this 2 days ago! 

I don't know why I need to uninstall/install all the USB device to get the problem solved but I hope this method may help for those who have tried all other methods.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:53 AM
  • Funny I should come across this thread. IMHO the cause is solely software related. First of all, the biggest error ever made in programming (besides "Are You Sure") is the programmers belief that one size fits all. In this case, the assumption by Microbrain is that one mouse driver fits all. This is not true. So for those of you who are sure it is your mouse, I suggest you look up the make and model number of you mouse and download the maker's driver. MS OS never ever looks up a mouse driver when loading their software as they (MS) believe their mouse driver will be good enough for ANY mouse, and of course it is not. Secondly, get any good registry cleaner and remove all registry items listed that go nowhere (program not found, command not found). Also remove any item listed as software you have uninstalled. That's it, nothing more. Any software OS since the beginning of time has to have a priority rank for every program and command so your system will know which of many entries to process first. Most of you are correct in knowing that some other program has focus and won't let go. Happily ctrl-alt-del has the number one highest priority over all others. That's why you regain focus as the task manager snatched it away from the program that would not release it. Programs and commands will not release focus until they have completed. Therefore the familiar hourglass next to your cursor saying no more input until I'm through. Ergo, no click response. That is the reason for the registry cleaning as obviously some program is hung because it cannot complete due to a program or command not found. (No, not all programs or commands have self diagnostics to report the error on your screen) BTW, if any of you have the "Back click" problem, this procedure should help you as well. For those who do not know, the back clicking problem is your system randomly paging backwards when you go through folders or browsing. Very annoying.
    • Proposed as answer by 89030 Monday, February 06, 2012 7:43 PM
    • Edited by 89030 Monday, February 06, 2012 8:05 PM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Funny I should come across this thread. IMHO the cause is solely software related. First of all, the biggest error ever made in programming (besides "Are You Sure") is the programmers belief that one size fits all. In this case, the assumption by Microbrain is that one mouse driver fits all. This is not true. So for those of you who are sure it is your mouse, I suggest you look up the make and model number of you mouse and download the maker's driver. MS OS never ever looks up a mouse driver when loading their software as they (MS) believe their mouse driver will be good enough for ANY mouse, and of course it is not. Secondly, get any good registry cleaner and remove all registry items listed that go nowhere (program not found, command not found). Also remove any item listed as software you have uninstalled. That's it, nothing more. Any software OS since the beginning of time has to have a priority rank for every program and command so your system will know which of many entries to process first. Most of you are correct in knowing that some other program has focus and won't let go. Happily ctrl-alt-del has the number one highest priority over all others. That's why you regain focus as the task manager snatched it away from the program that would not release it. Programs and commands will not release focus until they have completed. Therefore the familiar hourglass next to your cursor saying no more input until I'm through. Ergo, no click response. That is the reason for the registry cleaning as obviously some program is hung because it cannot complete due to a program or command not found. (No, not all programs or commands have self diagnostics to report the error on your screen) BTW, if any of you have the "Back click" problem, this procedure should help you as well. For those who do not know, the back clicking problem is your system randomly paging backwards when you go through folders or browsing. Very annoying.

Confirm, it is the problem in the software (driver to be precise).

I have had this problem when using the XP then it disappear when I install the driver from the manufacturer.
    Lately I move on to windows 7 and today the problem accur, forget that I ever get the problem I search the internet for the solution and found this thread, and the last post remind me about the solution and now the problem is gone.

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:55 AM
  • I have this problem when I'm online. I have run anti-virus scans five times in three days. When online the mouse won't respond to certain buttons. composing email is impossible. I'm using Win7 Ultimate Home Edition. What should I do? It's been suggested that there might be a problem with Windows??? HEP! Alt Ctrl, Del isn't helping. Mel
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Hi everybody, The problem is that the mouse corrupt the drivers, even if you change with other mouse, the problem will persist. You must delete the specific driver, or restore your session. NEVER replug this mouse again, destroy it.
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:49 PM
  • Hi everybody, The problem is that the mouse corrupt the drivers, even if you change with other mouse, the problem will persist. You must delete the specific driver, or restore your session. NEVER replug this mouse again, destroy it.
    • Proposed as answer by DM0rtal Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:49 PM
    Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:49 PM
  • I had these exact symptoms on my laptop.  Needed to control-alt-del to get working, touch pad wouldn't work either....copy and paste didn't work, you name it.

It is a hardware issue - as stated by DM0rtal above.  Except I don't think it is actually a corruption other than for the specific session you are in (reboot is fine). 

Mine was tied to a specific Logitech G500 - I guess it just went bad.  When plugged in - I had the symptoms in the thread - it affected my touchpad enter button, etc for selecting.

I knew it was hardware when I reinstalled windows and it even happened in the install interface coming off boot.  

I confirmed it was that exact mouse by reboot and putting in another G500 (I have two) and computer works fine...just bizzare, it was creating some type of I/O interrupt issue I guess due to some fault in the hardware. 

Friday, April 27, 2012 4:53 PM
  • That solved my problem to.

The soloution is NOT to boot with the "old" mouse and then plugin the "new" mouse - the damage is already done when booting with the "old" mouse.

Instead plugout the "old" mouse and boot the system with another one - case solved!!

Jesus.... that could have saved me from a reinstall....

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I had this problem because the driver tried to update and then failed, or something along those lines...not really sure to be honest. However, I rolled back both of my mouse drivers. To do this go to device manager, mouse, right click on whichever and go to properties, click the driver tab, and then click roll back. Once you've rolled both back, restart your computer. Then go back to device manager and update your mouse drivers. Restart your computer one more time and it should work. If this does not work, then the problem is due to your hardware, AKA the mouse you are using. A stuck key or something is causing erratic behavior.
    • Proposed as answer by will4690 Friday, May 18, 2012 7:24 AM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 7:22 AM
  • EXACT same problem, Dell Latitude E4300. been fighting this for months trying to figure out the cause. two complete fresh Windows installs (XP and Windows 7), and problem manifests almost immediately after finishing installation. tried every software troubleshooting i could think of and nothing would fix it. it was interesting to find, in this thread, that CTRL-ALT-DEL and then ESC would fix it, but that's not a viable solution for daily use.

if you run the "CUSTOM" diagnostic utility from the "Drivers and Utilities" CD that comes with the computer, and run the "Mouse/Pointing Stick" test, you find that (at least in my case) the center button for the pointing stick is continuously engaged. the diagnostic should show "LEFT | CENTER | RIGHT" for the buttons until you press each one, after which each will change to "OK". in my case, "CENTER" is "OK" as soon as the diagnostic starts. I happen to have another, identical E4300 laptop that i ran the test on as well. that one did not show "OK" until after the center button was pressed.

Dell Support is sending a technician out to replace the trackpad and keyboard assemblies on this laptop. i am certain that will fix the problem.

in short, if you are having these same symptoms, it's related to a mouse or trackpad button being engaged due (most likely) to wear, and the solution is not SOFTWARE, it's replacing or repairing the hardware.
    • Proposed as answer by Calindor Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Calindor Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:10 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:14 PM
  • I had the same problem... would happen to me multiple times per hour.

It turned out that it was my KEYBOARD.

I unplugged my keyboard (PS2) and kept using my USB mouse and the problem vanished.  I plugged in keyboard and it started happening again.

I got a new keyboard and haven't had an issue in weeks!

• Proposed as answer by Calindor Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:12 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Same problems, this way worked for me.
    First, under DEVICE MANAGER, check the "Mice and other pointing devices" 
    Right Click on "HID-Compliant Mouse"> properties > tag energy save, unflag everything

• Proposed as answer by nehoss Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:34 PM
    • Edited by nehoss Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:35 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:34 PM
  • I most likely have the same problem on Vista 32 and a wired Logitech USB optical mouse.

For the last years my system worked fine. A couple of weeks ago - I can't remember any special circumstances - it suddenly happened that I couldn't activate one or more windows with mouse clicks - or drag/resize them. It seems the "active state" switches back and forth between two windows or "levels" (when there is only the taskbar and the desktop) with each click, somewhat similar to ALT-Tabbing.

Opening and closing the task manager temporarily solves the problem.

It happens randomly and in random intervals. It happens even right at start-up so that I cannot click on icons in the quickstart menu.

While I e.g. can use the mouse clicks on desktop items, the items in the taskbar won't react - or vice versa.

I run windows with - say - standard applications, my system is always up to date, I have no fancy programs/hardware installed other than stuff from renowned companies as Microsoft, Adobe, Mozzilla, Skype, Logitech, nvidia-Drivers etc. and one or two games. A virus check didn't reveal any problems. While playing a mouse driven game I didn't have problems so far, only on desktop.

I tried closing windows processes, but the 2 or 3 I can close with still being able to use the computer seem to have no effect.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone, so there might be someone finding the cause of this. Maybe it was the Vista ServicePack or some other update, who knows.

While the problem persists, navigation with the keyboard is entirely possible.

Why would that be a hardware problem, if a) others have it too and b) everything worked fine until now?

Opening and closing Task Manager temporarily solves the problem. Ditto here, Win 7 x64 Ultimate. This is such a PITA problem. It just started happening to me too, where I cannot summon a partially hidden window by clicking on it.

Also, sometimes a window that is behind another will "leap" forward to become the active window for no apparent reason.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:06 PM
    It sometimes happens when i'm browsing on the internet, when reading a website, the browser goes back to the previeus one at once. Without me touching an button. ...

I have also encountered this problem! Windows 7 x64.  Looking at tools in craigslist for sale. Click on one. Read its description look at its picture. Hit browser back button to get back to the list of items for sale. Wait two seconds --- browser jumps right back to the item I was just looking at!
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:10 PM
  • By any chance are you folks using a docking station?  My problems seems to only happen when docked.
    No. No docking station.  Wireless MSFT Mobile Mouse 3500 -- brand new mouse.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Would also like to say that the problems occur on my PC in Safe Mode as well.  I have changed from wireless mouse to wired mouse: SAME PROBLEMS.   Have checked for viruses: NONE.  Have run M/B diagnostics: all USB devices are "properly connected".  Am up-to-date with drivers from ASUS.

My keyboard is a wireless keyboard from IOGear.  I will try a wired keyboard and report back.

EDIT: bought a Microsoft Wireless 2000 keyboard in case there was a problem with the IOGear dongle (I tried two different IOGear wireless keyboards but the same dongle).  Same problem after the Microsoft keyboard.

EDIT: Rolled back to a month ago (oldest restore point).  Same problem.

Saturday, September 08, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hello everyone, as you would expect, Im having the same problem. This happened to me last night for the first time. Upon trying the solutions presented in this forum, I've found out a few things. I hope this helps in finding what the true cause/s of the problem is/are.

1. Since I noticed that most, if not all of us, are using non-standard mice - mostly gaming mice with more than 3 buttons, I tried to change the mouse to a simple one. Btw, Im using Razer Deathadder 3.5G, which is pretty common in this forum. It actually worked. I didnt have any problem whatsoever so I'll make it a priority to buy another mouse as soon as possible. I tried to reproduce the problem by plugging in the Deathadder again and it did. Im using it as Im making this reply. This gives me the idea that the mouse really IS the problem.

2. You can actually choose what window to focus or make active through the scroll wheel. This includes the taskbar. The "levels" the OP mentioned are arranged in the order of which window you opened, the latest being the topmost "level". To reach the latest window, you have to scroll up using the mouse wheel a few times until you reach it. To reach the lowest level, which i think is the task bar, you have to scroll down. This is a temporary "fix" for people who wants to work on their PC but doesnt have a spare mouse to use. This may suggest that there's a function bound involuntarily to the mouse scroll wheel.

3. As I was reading this forum, and even now that Im making the reply, the page frequently moves back a few pages, one page at a time. Also, while my mouse is hovering over the internet browser and i scroll down, the browser moves back one page. Again, this may suggest a function bound tot he scroll wheel. Also, I checked and the Sticky Keys function is unchecked so given the Shift+Scroll Wheel Down moves the browser a page back, the Shift key combination may be one of the bound functions.

4. Under Device Manager, I found out that while my Deathadder is plugged in, there are two items listed under keyboards. One is HID keyboard device (which is my standard keyboard, no fancy functions and stuff) and my mouse, conveniently named "Razer Deathadder 3.5G" under keyboards. Under the mouse category, "Razer Deathadder 3.5G" also pops up. When i unplug my Deathadder and plug in a standard mouse, only the HID keyboard device appears under keyboards and HID-compliant mouse appears under mouse. Checking the driver File Details of the "Razer Deathadder 3.5G" under the keyboard category, and cross checked it with the HID keyboard device, they have two drivers in common: (a) C:\\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\kdbclass.sys and (b) C:\\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys, with the mouse having more drivers which are really mouse-related. I deleted the drivers for the Deathadder before i plugged another mouse, and when i tried to reproduce it, there were still two items listed under keyboard but now, instead of the Deathadder, the second one is called HID keyboard device. I think its because I deleted the driver beforehand but it still identified the mouse as another keyboard device. This may suggest a mouse driver problem.

For now, those are my observations. I hope these observations could help in diagnosing the problem and I really hope someone could come up with a solution soon. I love my Deathadder but if the solution is really getting rid of it, I would give my mouse up and use a standard mouse.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:40 AM
  • After months and months running windows 7, this same problem happened to me a few weeks ago. 2 or 3 months ago, I bought a M$ Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000 to replace an old wired crap mouse from genius that broke down.

At first, my only gripe with this new mouse was that it had some delay between the moment I click the middle button to when that click gets used by the OS. It's about half a second, but, in my usage, that's enough to miss the mark. I contacted M$ and they were kind enough to replace my "faulty" hardware with an equally faulty mouse. -.-' I gave up on this fight.

And then this happens. The mouse seems to be stuck on one application and unable to click on others.

Sometimes, it's stuck on the desktop and can only interact with the desktop. Other times, it's stuck on the start menu and bar, other times, it's stuck on firefox... Only when I switch from firefox to another application do I notice that the problem is there.

CTRL+ALT+DEL works as a workaround, but it's not a fix.

So I tried to use my laptop mouse, a crappy revoltek C203 (also wireless), on this computer. And amazingly, it worked.

I left the dongle for the M$ mouse in the usb port, turned off the revoltek and turned on the M$.... less than 5 minutes later, the problem surfaced.

Turned off the M$ mouse and turned the revoltek back on and the problem was gone.

This suggests that the problem is either in the mouse itself (hardware) or the drivers (software).

My guess is that it's not hardware, given that the CTRL+ALT+DEL clears it up. The drivers must be getting messed up somehow and lose the absolute coordinate system, ending up using only the relative coordinate system of the app in which they got stuck.

I do find it strange that some of you find the same problem occurring in linux... and with different manufacturers.

• Edited by pocaracas Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:28 PM
    Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:44 PM
  • This behavior affects ALL of our Windows 7 computers in the office, no matter what mouse they have, and no matter the manufacturer.

A new laptop/desktop will run fine for five to six months and then start doing this.  What we have found is that the number of USB devices attached does affect the problem - the more devices attached, the more likely this problem is to occur.

Note that there is ONE Microsoft response to this thread that has many hundred entries.  Clearly they don't want to device any resources to solving this problem.

The folks selling 25 port USB extenders don't mention this either :-)

Sunday, December 30, 2012 5:40 PM
  • 1) pen logitech set point and disable the forward and back buttons..

http://i.imgur.com/jcpZz3Y.png

2) select forward/back >> click other >> select do nothing

http://i.imgur.com/cjshWKD.png

no more alt+ctrl+delete :D

problem solved :D

Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Check, check, check - all the same problems as you have all reported. In my case I scrubbed my HP laptop of malware and cookies. Voila - problem gone. Hope this helps. Used Norton 360.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:05 PM
  • I've had the same symptoms, but have had the problem using an external mouse and the built in mouse pad on an Dell E4300, and either waiting about 30 minutes or doing the ctrl-alt-del trick hurried it along, but I think I've figured out what's causing it for me as I can get the problem to reproduce faithfully; the dell loads up ALPS Touchpad drivers on logon. I had noticed that when I first logged in, the system would allow me to click all icons on the taskbar, there'd be a flash, then nothing would be clickable (dekstop icons were unnafected, but open windows were also no responsive). I went into msconfig, and unckecked the ALPS touchpad app, and rebooted. no problems this time on boot up, and no flash, all continued to work. went to the Dell touchpad directory and ran the touchpad software and lo and behold, the symptoms returned. I've done this a number of times where i've re-enabled ALPS in msconfigrebooted and the result is the same everytime..

Another symptom is that I couldn't drag and drop items from one location to another. this has also been fixed.

Hope this helps others too as this one has baffled me for months (and really shouldn't have..)

Cheers!

Steph S.

• Proposed as answer by Psyke45 Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:16 PM
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:38 PM
  • This solution worked for me. My "browser forward" button was stuck, because of all the dirt and grease in it. I found it quite hard to clean the button, so the easiest solution was to disable the button with Microsoft mouse and keyboard center.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:00 AM
  • I had the same problem as described. Manage to temporary solve it by going msconfig, startup and uncheck vprot.exe.

Tried to uncheck everything and found out that it is vprot.exe run by AVG that is causing this problem. 

So far the problem does not occur upon startup but it could occur while using halfway and avg decides to run vprot.exe. If this happens again, I have no choice but to uninstall AVG and get a new anti-virus.

Just sharing so that some people could have the issue regarding AVG.

Sunday, June 02, 2013 10:44 AM
  • My Windows XP has been doing this for years on my Dell D600.

Unfortunately, my touchpad has no center button :(

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:54 AM
  • magic solution......it's the mouse...I have a usb intellimouse 5 button (includes the scroll button) optical with windows 7...Same symptoms everyone has described...my left side button although not being used was stuck pressed inward.  I freed the button and VOILA, NO MORE PROBLEM.  I am now a happy camper
    Saturday, June 22, 2013 8:36 PM
  • I am following this topic with interest. Encountered this mouse freeze problem a few weeks back using a Gigabyte X58 chipset board and Windows 7 64 bit which caused grief. Initially I thought it was a mouse failure and tried another but saw the same symptoms. After some trial and error and no success I bought a new motherboard and installed Windows 8 64bit Pro out of curiosity for that operating system. The Windows 8 system is stable with my original mouse which I thought was faulty. That mouse is a Microsoft Sidewinder which I was reluctant to bin as I find the buttons on the side very useful. The Windows 8 system has AVG Free 2013 installed and that does not cause a problem. After some head scratching I think the common denominator is the new Microsoft and Keyboard software package. It is stable on Windows 8 but does not appear to be on Windows 7. I do not know why but I would certainly be interested to know.

Separately from this, but maybe related, I have seen a problem with Windows 7 where the OS forgets that it has a driver for a USB device and installs another one. After a while there are a lot of drivers in there for the same thing. Taking them out helps with the mouse problem but eventually it returns again. I have yet to see this problem on Windows 8.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 5:03 PM
  • i have still problem but my case's problem is Mouse !

Logitech G5 R2 and battered mouse :) i bought new mouse problem solved :)

fyi

• Proposed as answer by Taelira Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Taelira Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:38 AM
    Friday, July 05, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Greetings all,

I was suddenly experiencing this issue myself. After a google search, I found this thread. Read through and found some commonalities among the sea of randomness, but couldn't seem to fix the problem. Tried several different things until I remembered some similar behavior that I've experienced at work.

Anyway, the solution I found seemed to be related to Skype 6.5 one touch application. I uninstalled that (and Skype itself for good measure) and the mouse came to life and hasn't had an issue since (for the past half hour anyway).

Check to see if you have Skype or any other mouse pointer application (ipoint.exe will hijack your OS UI and cause weird behaviors as well and comes with microsoft mice and peripherals). I suspect since the acquisition of Skype by Microsoft, they've started incorporating their somewhat buggy front end control applications into Skype which is what we are now seeing.

This is just what I've observed. I've also observed issues where Skype will work with Video and Audio USB devices one moment and stop working with them the next. Most of this behavior seems to have occurred in the updates since the MS acquisition of Skype.

I hope this helps others.

Edit: I should add that I found that Skype was recently installed a few days ago and that's what hinted toward that.
    • Edited by Taelira Sunday, July 07, 2013 1:00 AM Added to Post
    Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:55 AM
  • Problem reappeared on Windows 8.

I seem to have solved it for now by going in to Task Manager, selecting lpont.exe, and ending task.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Problem randomly appears but I have a quadruple multi-boot and on one of the boots I was able to replicate the problem when pressing one of the extra buttons on a Logitech mouse inside Firefox.

I then uninstalled all SetPoint and other Logitech MOUSE software, installed the latest Logitech mouse software only and manually assigned commands to extra buttons on the mouse.

Did everyone having this problem originally have another mouse but then moved onto a newer mouse without completely removing old Logitech Mouse software/drivers? I have, and I believe that was the cause and the solution in my case.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Was a solution ever found for this issue? I have a customer who's Toshiba Satellite L750D  (Win7 64bit) is exhibiting the same symptoms. It really shows up in Chrome, where the tabs can't be selected, but the x to close the tab still works, also the Customise and Control button can be high lighted but does nothing. Using CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager temporarily restores normality, but the problem soon comes back. I've tried just about everything and during my investigations I've come across lots of people who are experiencing this issue and are still looking for a solution.

Monday, July 22, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Now Bear with me, I had this problem for weeks.

I just went into device manager And in power management for the mouse And the keyboard,

unchecked the options there.

The one that did it strangely enough was the option

Allow this device to wake up computer.

Why I don't know but as soon as I unchecked them both as said on keyboard AND mouse, the problem has gone.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Yir Vortex93 is the man. Had the same prob on win7 x64 with logitec mouse, and now its all good. Thanks Vortex..
    Friday, October 04, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Same problem here on a Dell Latitude E5400 with PS/2 compatible mousepad.

I suspect a driver problem. If I remove all drivers regarding mice and pointer units and then reboot the computer, it of course restarts and installs new drivers. Then it prompts me to restart the computer again - BUT!

As long as I dont restart the computer - the mouse works perfect.

After a restart - the problem is back.

Hope anyone can use that information to figure out a solution. I have raised the white flag giving up and marked our 20 computeres with a label "if mouse dont work press ctrl-esc" ...

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Thanks everyone for the info, advice and for keeping this thread alive...
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:13 AM
  • I have just solved this problem.

it started for me a week ago, when I first noticed the scroll wheel on the mouse would stop working in internet explorer, but at the same time worked on the desktop and other programs.

This then progressed to losing focus on windows, I couldn't click on any program window, then the desktop icons only allowed one click then defocused, the same with the taskbar.

this was driving me nuts, I had manually uninstalled internet explorer blaming ieproxy.dll for the problem because when that was removed the problem went away (coincidently?)  for a period of time. which also made me realise windows 8 weirdly can't open folders in same window without it, but I digress..

ctrl-alt-del opening taskmgr did the temporary fix but I had to close explorer to get the focus working and then it would last a few minutes then left click not working symptoms would appear again.

it tried vista. windows 7, 8, 8.1. all presented the same problem.

eventually after reading this thread I suspected the mouse hardware to be the cause. so just a few minutes ago I stripped down my Microsoft wireless mouse 5000 took the pcb out dusted it all off and resoldered the buttons/interconnects on the board put it back together and amazingly its now problem free.

I didn't even have to restart windows, just starting behaving normal when I put the batteries back into the mouse.

i got a clue as to what may have been the actual button just before disassembly of the mouse I tested all the buttons to see if I could maybe get one unstuck after this the back page in internet explorer would get magically pressed randomly.. suggesting that the button was indeed the cause. perhaps the soldering of the leg joints on the buttons allowed the internals to rest properly and work trouble free again.

hope this helps.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Hello Dear Friend I Have the Same issue.

There is a solution for this problem Just Change your mouse.

if u want to understand the problem correctly just plug in your mouse to another computer. The same problem will happen .

So buy a new mouse the problem will be solved :)

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:11 PM
  • I am having this same problem on a Windows 8 OS. It's been fine for a little over a year. I used my Synaptics touch pad for a while, and got a Logitech wireless USB mouse in December, which worked fine until a couple of days ago. It's really annoying, as I can only click on certain things any page. Sometimes one link won't work but one directly next to it does. It's the same thing with buttons, and I'm not sure what to do about it...
    Monday, March 24, 2014 9:46 PM