none
Printing problems -- MacPro Bootcamp with Windows 7 connection to a TCP/IP enabled HP LaserJet 4

Question

• I have a laptop that is directly connected to a HP LaserJet 4 Printer via ethernet.  I am trying to add the printer as a local tcp/ip port printer to my system.

Ethernet on lap Ethernet on Printer: 192.168.1.19/24  arp is showing that they discover each other.  I cannot find the printer in the list of devices, and tried to use Windows Update many times and always fail.  I have visited the <h t t p : / / catalog. update. microsoft. com> site and searched for the printer and downloaded the drivers.  I extracted the contents of the CAB file and tried pointing the printer driver installation to the INF file. It finds the printer, and when I try to install the driver it errors out with the following error:

unable to install hp laserjet 4, type 3 - user mode, x64 Operation could not be completed error 0x00000002.

I tried to configure the printer using HP Universal Printer drivers for PCL5, 6 and PS.  The printer configures, but when I try to print anything, i see the following error printed out on the printer and nothing else:

ERROR: invalidfont

OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow

STACK:

[245 75 136 136 136 196 0 ]

(     )

Any help in resolving this would be immensly appreciated.

Thanks

Mahadev

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The error code 0x00000002 indicates the system cannot find the file specified.

This issue may occur if one of the following factors is true:
    1.    The spooler service is corrupt.
    2.    The printer components are corrupt.
    3.    The permissions are inappropriate.

To troubleshoot this issue, let’s try the following steps.
    1. Unplug the problematic printers.
    2. Open Printers.
    3. On the File menu, click Server Properties, and then click the Drivers tab.
    4. Remove the relevant printer drivers.
    After that, please try to re-plug the printers and install them again.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Friday, November 02, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Is there a way to repair the spooler service (if it is corrupted)?

When you say unplug the printer, what do you mean?  The printer is not directly connected to the computer. It is connected to an ethernet switch (and so is the computer).

When you say permissions might be inappropriate: there is only one user on the system, and the user has administrator privileges.  The printer was configured by this user and drivers installed by this user.

I will try this today and reply back..

Thanks

Mahadev

Friday, November 02, 2012 12:03 PM
  • I am unable to take actions asdescribed.  When I get into printer properties, I do not have an are/section/tab to see the hardware drivers that I can delete.

I even tried using the HP universal PS printer drivers, without success.. even a test page won't print.

Mahadev

Friday, November 02, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

You can use this tool to troubleshoot printer problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-printer-problems

And open print management\custom filters\all drivers, remove unnecessary printer drivers.

Furthermore, try to isolate printer drivers for these users:

1 Click “Start”

2 Input print management in Search box and press ‘Enter’

3 Go to Print Management\Custom Filters\All Drivers

4 Right click a driver, set driver isolation, isolate it.

5 Set same option to all drivers

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Monday, November 05, 2012 2:28 AM
  • I will try this and post back to this thread today or tomorrow..

Mahadev

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:45 AM