none
Downgrade Vista 64 to 32bit WET problem

Question

• Howdy. I recently did a clean reinstall of 32-bit Vista because 64-bit rin slow and had lots of compatibility issues. However, I ran into trouble, because WET informs me that the SaveData.MIG file is completely unusable because it was created on a 64-bit system. Is there any kind of workaround or at least some way to extract the files out of the MIG file without actually wasting six or seven hours reinstalling 64 bit then rereinstalling 32 bit? any help would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:19 AM

Answers

•  

Hi JoePomidor,

Thank you for the post.

I would like to explain that we can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from Windows Vista 32bit to Windows Vista 64bit. However, transferring from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows Vista 32bit is not supported now. In addition, currently we have no way to open or extract the SaveData.MIG file.

JoePomidor, we always welcome customer feedback and thank you for providing us with your comments. We strive to capture any and all product issues/feedback so as to ensure we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet customer needs. You are also welcome to add your comments to make Microsoft products easier and more powerful to use.

To submit additional product feedback, we recommend that you visit http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:07 AM

All replies

•  

Hi JoePomidor,

Thank you for the post.

I would like to explain that we can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files from Windows Vista 32bit to Windows Vista 64bit. However, transferring from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows Vista 32bit is not supported now. In addition, currently we have no way to open or extract the SaveData.MIG file.

JoePomidor, we always welcome customer feedback and thank you for providing us with your comments. We strive to capture any and all product issues/feedback so as to ensure we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet customer needs. You are also welcome to add your comments to make Microsoft products easier and more powerful to use.

To submit additional product feedback, we recommend that you visit http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:07 AM
  • In trying to run the WET Companion program, it became clear that it does not support 64 bit Vista Home preminum and that some of my existing software will not work on the new computer.  I noticed the even Office 2007 One-Note says 32 bit only.  I now want to downgrade to a 32 bit Vista system but can't find a way to do that.  I read  in another Technet message about doing a dual boot, but am not sure how to do that.

Monday, May 05, 2008 2:14 PM