none
wmpnetwk.exe using excess amounts of cpu and memory

Question

• wmpnetwk.exe was using 60% of CPU and over 3 gigs of ram.  Turned off Windows Media Player and everything is good - idols at less than 1% CPU and uses less than 20% of ram.  Anyone else encountered this problem?  Any luck fixing it?   Googleing it I found it was a fairly common problem (?) with Vista, and I should look for a corupt .avi file. 
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Friday, March 05, 2010 9:04 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob

Are you using the Beta Build 7000?

This bug was reported for that build several times and always came back with the 'corrupt video file' information.

The last I heard was that they were still doing extended testing to make sure it is not a bug in WMP. If they do find something, look for a fix in the next beta version or the final release, whichever comes first.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, May 08, 2009 12:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob

Are you using the Beta Build 7000?

This bug was reported for that build several times and always came back with the 'corrupt video file' information.

The last I heard was that they were still doing extended testing to make sure it is not a bug in WMP. If they do find something, look for a fix in the next beta version or the final release, whichever comes first.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, May 08, 2009 12:23 AM
  • I'm using Build 7100 (RC) and this issue is still there. I've had in every build that I've tested. It's really annoying already I can't believe it hasn't been resolved by now.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Has anyone heard of a fix yet? I have 8Gb of RAM installed and wmpnetwk.exe has over 4GB allocated in commit charge. I haven't opened WMP or played any media at all. The only think I did was start up RDC to a laptop on the LAN... (also running Win 7 RC). Everything was fine until i did that. The memory usage grows by about 20MB/sec.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:17 PM
  • I've recently begun having a similar problem. Every 60 seconds, wmpnetwk.exe spikes to 25% CPU usage, which prevents my PC from automatically sleeping when it's idle. Rebooting fixes the problem temporarily, but it eventually resumes. The problem occurs even when media streaming is off and even when there are no other computers online on my local network.

GA-P35-DS3Lr2(F8) Q9450(2.66GHz) OCZ8500(4GB) GTX260(WDDM1.1/186.18 WHQL) 3xWDGreenPower(1TB)SATA
    WinTV1600 GGW-H20L 3007WFP(2560x1600) 6.1.7100x64 Avast4.8.1335 PowerDVD7.3.5113.0

Monday, July 27, 2009 1:43 PM
  • I just started having the same problem at the original poster; I'm running build 7100 on an Athlon 5000+ with 3GB ram. It started with out me even opening media player or media center. (which were running fine since build 7100 released). I'd love to know if there's a solution to this other than just disabling the offending services and abstaining from using media sharing across my LAN.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 12:41 AM
  • I'm running windows  7, RTM.  As soon as I ran Media Player, I started to have the same problem.  I had upgraded from Vista on this machine.  I checked my settings to see where my libraries were pointing to.  File | Manage Libraries | Music, Pictures, Videos & Recorded TV.  I checked each one, and each one had Media Player scanning the root of my laptop for media.  As soon as I removed those folders from my scan, my CPU utilization and memory footprint for wmpnetwk.exe went practically to 0. 

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:05 AM
  • I just bought Windows7 off the store shelf. What's the first thing it does? wmpnetwk.exe using up all my dang resources. Ugh! Hasn't this happened in other versions of windows? FIX IT! It's like if I buy a car and the parking brake is always on and can't be disengaged. Why should we have to go find and fix these things? That's why I paid $299.00, so it'll work. If I wanted to go fix things I'd install Ubuntu. Ok, I feel better now. :-)
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:02 AM
  • HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM With this ... Have a Windows 7 System Builder copy installed. This application is consuming 13 % of my CPU all the time . Tried stoppinging it. IT starts automatically. Have gone into SERVICES and set Windows Media Center to start MANUALLY not auto , and the blasted program starts up again, using 13% CPU and 2 gig of RAM.
    HOW DO YOU KILL THIS THING??????????
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:08 AM
  • I fail to see why it should be bug in W7 beta when so many are reporting the same issue in Vista. I still have the problem but it's not persistent any longer, just keeps on for 20 minutes or so, I assume it's indexing files or struggling with a corrupt .avi as suggested. Anyway, if it's urgent, turning off mediasharing in wmplayer 11 or from the network control panel (vista) makes the problem go away until I reboot the system. The drawback is that I cannot share any media with other players on the network -- why is beyond me, I can't see why turning off media sharing in windows media player also have to disable media sharing in the control panel and affect myIhome server. Perhaps somene can help me get my head around this?

... and sorry for bumping in to your Windows 7 group when I'm still on Vista.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 12:35 AM
  • Lapstam ... no problem ... just hope someone from Microsoft or has better knowledge on this gives a GOOD ANSWER how to STOP this blasted program!
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:57 AM
  • From what I was able to determine it seems to have something to do with setting the service to index the system root, which results in the process attempting to index the paging file. By setting the indexed directories to at least one level above root (e.g not c:\ but c:\documents and settings) I was able to resolve the issue in my copy of the beta. Not sure if it holds true in RTM and Vista (though I've never experienced this issue on my Vista machines.
    • Proposed as answer by Kietedan Saturday, March 06, 2010 4:10 PM
    Monday, February 01, 2010 3:01 AM
  • I had the same problem.  Windows Media Player was using tons of CPU and memory.
    The problem was in Media Center.  I had mistakenly selected  C:\ drive  in Options /Settings  for bringing in media
      It brought all kinds of files into WMP and screwed it up!!  Fix your settings and problem solved.
    • Proposed as answer by Kietedan Saturday, March 06, 2010 4:10 PM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Thank you for posting your solution. I had the same trouble with high CPU usage. I found one catagory of media that was set at the root drive and after I fixed that usage is now normal. Thanks,

Eric

Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:45 AM
  • I also had this problem but no settings of root drive but like an idiot when I went to add file locations in say my videos for example I was adding the locations for music and pictures and the same for the other add media settings so pictures was also looking in video folders and music folders and video was looking in picture folders and music folders and so on so there was way to much searching going on. Went back and set it correctly, now there is no redundant searchig going on. Seems to be working so far I will post again if i does not fix problem. Good luck all!
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:33 PM
  • WMPNETWK.EXE

Many thanks Keitedan and Rkiddn - your suggestions were spot on. After many fruitless hours trying to find corrupt avi files (as suggest on other forums) the solutiion was to remove the C: root directory from Media Player and Media Server. Problem solved.........and Windows 7 is running sweet.
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Holy canoly, problem solved, I can't thank you enough!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I was even contemplating restoring my laptop to original factory first boot up, to start fresh.

You just saved me a whole lot of time and frustration, thanks again!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Hi

I am vaguely understanding what I have to do to fix this problem... how does one change the root directory for WMP?

Friday, March 25, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Hi

I am vaguely understanding what I have to do to fix this problem... how does one change the root directory for WMP?

So why is the program wmpnetwk.exe still trying to get out through my firewall? How do I disable this from happening?
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 7:35 PM
  • because it has the purpose to share media files in the network *rolleyes*
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Thanks for the pointing in the right direction. Not being the most compitent pc guy it took a little working out but.............

Open media player.

Click on organize and manage libaries.

Go through each of the medias and remove all the places to look especially C: and I just left the one default location for each.

So far so good.......... maybe I've gone too far, but for what I actually use the media player "Am I Bothered?" springs to mind.......

Hope this helps those struggling.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:43 PM
  • this was really helpful, thanks so much for the tip
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:45 PM
  • This has saved my PC from going in the bin I disabled all the settings and voila it is like a new pc again thankyou thankyou thankyou

Friday, April 27, 2012 10:53 AM