HP LaserJet 1000 Vista Driver Installation Fix "Working"

Question

• OK
    I've just discovered how to fix it
    all you need to do is to download the Windows XP driver file for HP laserJet 1000 from HP website...it's the one named "HP LaserJet 1000 Host Based Driver"

1) Right click and unzip the exe file you've just downloaded
    2) Goto Printers (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Printers)
    3) Right Click in the window and select Add a printer. The popup window should now apear
    4) Click Add a local printer
    5) Click Next
    6) Click Have Disk
    7) Browse to the location of unzipped folder you (See step 1)
    8) My printer was with USB so I choose zUSB.inf (not sure about serial, u might have to choose HPLJ1000 for serial)
    9) Click Open and then OK

Computer will install the printer  named hp LaserJet 1000, but it wont work

Now Connect your printer to the computer...
    Vista will look for the printer driver and install the printer named hp LaserJet 1000 (Copy) which will work
    You can now delete the printer named "hp LaserJet 1000" and make "hp LaserJet 1000 (Copy)" the default printer
    You might wanna rename it too

Test and it should work
    Worked for me atleast
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 4:05 PM

Answers

• OK
    all you need to do is to download the Windows XP driver file for HP laserJet 1000 from HP website...it's the one named "HP LaserJet 1000 Host Based Driver"

3) Right Click in the window and select Add a printer. The popup window should now apear
    5) Click Next
    6) Click Have Disk
    8) My printer was with USB so I choose zUSB.inf (not sure about serial, u might have to choose HPLJ1000 for serial)

Vista will look for the printer driver and install the printer named hp LaserJet 1000 (Copy) which will work
    You can now delete the printer named "hp LaserJet 1000" and make "hp LaserJet 1000 (Copy)" the default printer

Test and it should work
    Worked for me atleast

gracias en verda, yo iva a comprar otra impresora pero ahora voy a ir por un toner lol.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:07 AM
  • The "HP LaserJet 1000 Host Based Driver" worked just fine with my LJ1000 on Win7 Home Premium, 32 bit.  Here's what I did:

1) Download the driver file as above.  Save to directory, say "HP LJ1000" or some other easily recognizable name.

2) Double-click on the .exe file.  File runs and seems to install OK.  You may get an error message.

3) Check Control Panel/View Devices and Printers.  The LJ1000 should appear there.

4) Right click on the icon for the LJ1000, then on Printer Properties

5) Click on New Driver...

6) The Add Printer Driver Wizard will open.  Click on Next.

7) Click on Have Disk... and chose the file where you expanded the host based driver .exe or click on Browse... and find the file

8) Click Next.  Completing the Add Printer Driver will appear.

9) Click Finish.

10) The driver should install.  Print a test page to verify that the printer is correctly installed.

The above procedure may vary, depending on your version of Win7, but the basics are here and should allow you to use your HP LJ1000.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:20 AM

All replies

• And it worked for me too! Thanks!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:30 AM
  • I tried this procedure and when I connected the USB cable, nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry

Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Maybe you had connected the printer to PC before, if you had did that,plese unload the printer first from the device managementer.

可能你之前连接过打印机,请先从设备管理器的未知设备中卸载,然后拔掉USB插头,再进行楼主的步骤.

Friday, February 29, 2008 6:31 AM
  • I followed the steps and did get the copy version of the driver/printer.  But all I got was an error message when I tried to print.  And yes, I did use the host based driver version.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:26 PM
  •  

Great work arround! HP should post this in their Help page!
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:46 PM
  • This was the missing link for me. My printer works perfectly now. Thanks so much!!!
    Monday, September 29, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Thanks! it really works!

Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Thank you! I never thought to use the host-based driver download. It woked for me and I'm now printing!

Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Thank you.
    Happy to finally having my printer working in Vista, was about to consider having to throw it away and buy a new compatible model.
    Hope others find this great fix.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:55 PM
  • Excellent fix - even works through my Belkin USB network hub print server - thanks

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:01 AM
  • This didn't work for me at all.  I tried this fix as well as all the others.  Vista won't even go through with the installation, so I can't choose any copies.  I'm using Vista 64 bit.  Maybe that, or the fact that SP1 has come out since you suggested this fix has eliminated this option.  They've effectively prevented this work around.  Nice going.

I tried both versions of the Universal Print Driver (new version 4.7) but they did not work. I also tried other remedies seen elsewhere: installing the 1000 drivers and ignoring error messages, trying drivers for the 5P and 6P, etc. Nothing works.

Imagine building a piece of hardware that still works after 4 years and not supporting it.

They still support the printer I had before the 1000 (the LaserJet 5L). What sense does that make?

Some have suggested new printers are not so expensive. Well, most printers out there are inkjet and the cost is in the ink. My laserjet cartridges last about 2 years and cost $60. That must be why HP is discontinuing the printer. It works and doesn't cost users hundreds of dollars a year to operate.

So my new HP computer with Vista 64 bit now just cost me another $150-300 for a new printer. What a racket.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Does your turnaround works with Vista 32 bits or 64 bits ?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Brilliant!  Thanks.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:07 AM
  • This is my first time
    Thanks for the great post. It worked for me perfectly.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 1:11 PM
  • thanx alot it is working
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Thanx so much!  Even a senior like myself was able to follow your instructions and finally get my printer working again!!! 
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:03 PM
  • My Dear Friend.... It really works.... Great......

I was just going to call my System Manager... and tried Google to find out solution...and I got it before calling him...

Thanks a Lot !
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:30 AM
  • Funziona!

Grazie
    Alessandro Quarta

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Hi, I get frozen at the step where it presents me with a list of printers to choose from after choosing add a local printer.  None of the 1000 series even shows up.  I've installed the host based driver and vista doesn't care at all.

Clearly, by the successes listed by others, I'm missing something.

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:35 PM
  • I just used this to install the driver on Windows 7 RC1 and it worked great! Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Didn't work for me. Can someone help? first the downloaded file was not zipped. So no unzipping necessary. Once I opened either zUSB.inf or HPLH1000 and then clicked OK I got an error message. What am I doing wrong? Do I need the installation disc for the printer? And I don't understand what you meant by "might have to choose HPLJ1000 for serial?".

Friday, May 08, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Way to go...... It worked!!
    Thanks!!!
    -key point is not to plug in the printer until you have installed the driver.-
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:51 PM
  • OK

5) Click Next
    6) Click Have Disk

Test and it should work
    Worked for me atleast

gracias en verda, yo iva a comprar otra impresora pero ahora voy a ir por un toner lol.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:07 AM
  • gracias en verda, yo iva a comprar otra impresora pero ahora voy a ir por un toner lol.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:09 AM
  • EXCELENTE ! Gracias
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 10:42 PM
  • I did these exact steps for Windows 7 and now my printer works great. THANK YOU!!!
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:44 AM

• I followed your instruction but it gives me this message.

"The folder your specified doesn't contain a compatible software
    driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make it is designed to work with
    Windows for x64-based system"

Please Help.

Thanks

Santiago
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:04 PM
  • hi,

this only works for 32bit vista/w7??
    does anyone installed the printer on a 64bit vista/w7 os???
    Same message as burgosan
    "The folder your specified doesn't contain a compatible software"

any suggestions?

thx
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Thank you, thank you thank you!!  I am now able to print current grandmaster chess games along with less meanful docs such as my resume!
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Hiii

Same Tip for OS vita 64 ???

Thanks

Jimmy
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Thanks a lot!

Whoever developed the idea of a forum should be congratulated. How it helps people like us stuck in a rut!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Duranee, may the Lord be with U !
    Your huge tip works also for Windows 7 Familt Edition.
    HP sucks.

Cheers.

AppAS
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Same problem as Reimer and Burgosan... using Vista 64 bit, and getting the same error message when I follow the steps that have helped so many others.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:36 AM
  • And for more detail, the exact message reads:

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver.  If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems. 

Much thanks if anyone can help. 
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:52 AM
  • and me !  thanks
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:28 AM
  • And for more detail, the exact message reads:

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver.  If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems. 

Much thanks if anyone can help. 

Add my name to the list of Windows 7 (64 bit)/ HP1000 printers. If anyone has solved this, I would appreciate areply.

Thanks
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:28 PM
  • This works for Vista as well as Windows 7 32-bit.  It does not work for 64-bit versions of Windows 7 which is typically what ships with any PC that is currently being sold.  You are left with two choices - buy a new printer (HP conveniently leaves you a link to their product website when you search for Win 7 drivers for the LJ1000) or downgrade from 64 to 32 bit Win 7.  I chose the later route and it turned out to be surprisingly easy to do.  The Win 7 installation disk does not allow you to 'upgrade' an existing 64-bit installation - you have to do a complete install of the OS.  This is not as bad as it sounds.  Windows actually preserves much of your existing 64-bit Windows environment.  If you have saved all your existing documents, photos, music, etc. in the standard Windows folder locations - MyDocuments, etc, the installation routine moves them to a folder called Windows.old (or something like that) so you can just copy them back to their normal locations after the install.  My installation ran quickly, and I was back up and running with all my files intact (and my LJ1000 working perfectly) after only an hour or two.  You do have to purchase a copy of Win 7 32-bit, which is annoying, but cheaper than buying a new printer.  Interesting isn't it - HP chooses not to provide Win 7 drivers and by so doing reaps an economic windfall in new printer sales.
    Monday, March 01, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Nice!  Thank you, thank you!
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:50 PM
  • This solution works like a charm for our Windows  32 bit laptop. Great job!

OK

5) Click Next
    6) Click Have Disk

Test and it should work
    Worked for me atleast

Saturday, April 03, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Thank you very much durranee for your kind help. It worked on my Win 7 32-bit desktop.

Regards,

Prit

Sunday, April 11, 2010 1:27 PM
  • Thankyou Durranee

The procedure you have suggested worked great!

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 32bit; ASUS mobo & Intel Core2 Duo

Just guessing, but it seems that the Driver file isn't the root cause of the installation difficulty, but rather the installation process imposed by the new hardware certification acceptance testing. The new Microsoft standards are welcome. I believe there have been many changes to the Microsoft Windows Installer which is probably related.

To clarify info for others the INF file being used ( zUSB.inf ) is the Windows XP version. The procedures for the installation on my previous Vista install ran completely from the HP disk without intervention on my part.

Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:45 PM
  • HI Durrane,

Would it work with Windows 7, 64 bit version.

varun07@hotmail.com

Friday, April 30, 2010 3:12 AM
  • The driver for Hp laserjet 1000 series  work very well for Win 7 32 bit usb as well.

Thanks Durranne

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:31 AM
  • hi

when i right click there is no drop down for unzip.  Please help!

Monday, May 31, 2010 10:54 PM
  • It worked first time for me, Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on a Toshiba NB200 Netbook, thanks very much. New lease of life for this printer as there is a workaround to make it work with my Mac OSX as well. See here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1198855&tstart=-2

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Hi AlstonD,

Hp laserjet 1000 series Win 7 32 bit driver download link

Good Luck

Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:19 PM
  • I have been trying for more than a week until I found your post!!

Thank you for this great job!!!

It works very well now!!

Thanks!!:)

Sunday, July 04, 2010 6:06 AM
  • hi, I worked this hp laserjet 1000 driver for win 7 vista and others.good
    Monday, August 16, 2010 12:39 AM
  • The "HP LaserJet 1000 Host Based Driver" worked just fine with my LJ1000 on Win7 Home Premium, 32 bit.  Here's what I did:

1) Download the driver file as above.  Save to directory, say "HP LJ1000" or some other easily recognizable name.

2) Double-click on the .exe file.  File runs and seems to install OK.  You may get an error message.

3) Check Control Panel/View Devices and Printers.  The LJ1000 should appear there.

4) Right click on the icon for the LJ1000, then on Printer Properties

5) Click on New Driver...

6) The Add Printer Driver Wizard will open.  Click on Next.

7) Click on Have Disk... and chose the file where you expanded the host based driver .exe or click on Browse... and find the file

8) Click Next.  Completing the Add Printer Driver will appear.

9) Click Finish.

10) The driver should install.  Print a test page to verify that the printer is correctly installed.

The above procedure may vary, depending on your version of Win7, but the basics are here and should allow you to use your HP LJ1000.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:20 AM