none
can't delete program files(x86)

Question

• I installed win 7 x 32 bytes and backed up my files with it..but decided since I was going through all this to upgrade to win 7 x 64 byte(my new computer can handle it)but when I restored my files I got a program files folder and a program files (x86)folder..I can't delete the (x86) file..permission problems ...how do I change my permissions to, allow all,..it won't let me..I just want this fie (x86) gone, everything I load goes right into it and then win 7 says it's not loaded yet...
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:00 AM

Answers

• The "Program Files (x86)" folder is the Program Files folder for 32-bit apps. This folder cannot be deleted.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

- JoelbX
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by raven400 Saturday, July 25, 2009 5:04 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:14 PM
  • C:\Program Files(x86) was created to contain 32 bit programs on a 64 bit machine.  64 bit programs go under C:\Program Files.

As mentioned, you'll have to live with it.

I don't know what problem they intended this to solve, but I have yet to find an advantage to the division of Program Files into two folders on 64 bit systems.  As a developer who uses Vista x64 and who works with people who use 32 bit versions of the OS, I find there's a constant struggle.  Where, for example, do you find the Windows SDK files?  Answer:  Sometimes in either and/or both places!

-Noel
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Friday, July 24, 2009 3:40 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

Please understand that Windows 7 x64 Edition redirects the \Program Files directory for all programs that are 32-bit during the installation to the \Program Files(x86) directory. Programs that 64-bit are installed into the \Program Files directory.

To ensure that all the programs work properly and the system is stable, it is not recommended to remove the Program Files folders.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:16 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 10:42 AM

All replies

• The "Program Files (x86)" folder is the Program Files folder for 32-bit apps. This folder cannot be deleted.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

- JoelbX
    • Proposed as answer by JoelbX Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:14 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:14 PM
  • C:\Program Files(x86) was created to contain 32 bit programs on a 64 bit machine.  64 bit programs go under C:\Program Files.

As mentioned, you'll have to live with it.

I don't know what problem they intended this to solve, but I have yet to find an advantage to the division of Program Files into two folders on 64 bit systems.  As a developer who uses Vista x64 and who works with people who use 32 bit versions of the OS, I find there's a constant struggle.  Where, for example, do you find the Windows SDK files?  Answer:  Sometimes in either and/or both places!

-Noel
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Ok I'll try it but win 7 is putting even 64 byte games in x86 file( if I let it) then it complains it can't find them.. Ok So if I reformat the drive and install a fresh win 7 x 64 byte it will still put a x86 program file under c: drive??
    I just found I now have 2 program files not the x86 program file the x64 one's ..both the same how do I delete 1 of them??
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

Please understand that Windows 7 x64 Edition redirects the \Program Files directory for all programs that are 32-bit during the installation to the \Program Files(x86) directory. Programs that 64-bit are installed into the \Program Files directory.

To ensure that all the programs work properly and the system is stable, it is not recommended to remove the Program Files folders.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas LiModerator Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:16 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 10:42 AM