none
Company logo on Login screen?

Question

• We have had issues with people stealing computers. However thieves sometimes do not steal XP computers with our company logo on the locked screen/logon screen. It might be because of the branding which seem more professional and they maybe are afraid of being tracked by our company.

So, how can I customize Windows 7 like I could by e.g. changing the desktop background of the .DEFAULT user in registry on XP?
    Friday, July 03, 2009 7:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please take the following steps to replace Logon UI logo.

1. Click Start, type Regedit and press Enter

2. Navigate to

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

3. Change value of OEMBackground to 1.

4. Now navigate to %windir%\system32\oobe, create folder “info”, double click it and create another new folder “backgrounds”

5. Now place your desired logon file into %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds

6. Rename the file to backgroundDefault.jpg. (Please NOTE: Images must be less than 256kb in size).

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Wolfie2k6 Friday, July 03, 2009 10:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by HAL07 Friday, July 03, 2009 11:09 AM
    Friday, July 03, 2009 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please take the following steps to replace Logon UI logo.

1. Click Start, type Regedit and press Enter

2. Navigate to

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

3. Change value of OEMBackground to 1.

4. Now navigate to %windir%\system32\oobe, create folder “info”, double click it and create another new folder “backgrounds”

5. Now place your desired logon file into %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds

6. Rename the file to backgroundDefault.jpg. (Please NOTE: Images must be less than 256kb in size).

Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Wolfie2k6 Friday, July 03, 2009 10:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by HAL07 Friday, July 03, 2009 11:09 AM
    Friday, July 03, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Thank you very much! This worked fine!
    (For other users reading this post, I had to add, not change, the DWORD OEMBackground and set it to 1. )
    Friday, July 03, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Robinson -

I followed your instructions - and it seems to work if I immediately log off and then log back on. It shows the graphic I made. No problem. But I restarted my computer today looking up something in my BIOS - and when Windows came back up, the setting in the registry was reset to 0.

It seems I tried this once before and it worked - once - and then got reset to 0 again. Going to try it one more time after I post this - but there may be something going on here.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:11 PM
  • maybe I got a newer build than you? I've booted the test computer several times.
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Robinson -

I followed your instructions - and it seems to work if I immediately log off and then log back on. It shows the graphic I made. No problem. But I restarted my computer today looking up something in my BIOS - and when Windows came back up, the setting in the registry was reset to 0.

It seems I tried this once before and it worked - once - and then got reset to 0 again. Going to try it one more time after I post this - but there may be something going on here.

Did you install any customize software?

Monday, July 06, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Robinson -

Please define "customize" software... About all I have installed are the usual suspects - Office XP, Firefox, Acrobat reader, the MSE beta, ICQ 2003a, and a few other goodies.

Monday, July 06, 2009 9:15 AM
  • maybe I got a newer build than you? I've booted the test computer several times.

Hal -

Build 7100 here.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 9:15 AM
  • Robinson -

Please define "customize" software... About all I have installed are the usual suspects - Office XP, Firefox, Acrobat reader, the MSE beta, ICQ 2003a, and a few other goodies.

Sorry, I means tweak software.

If possible, I suggest running a registry monitor software to monitor registry changes.
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Wolfie,

Are you using the Intel Desktop Utilities?

Doc
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:21 AM
  • Robinson -

Sorry, I means tweak software.

If possible, I suggest running a registry monitor software to monitor registry changes.
    Robinson -

Nope.. Not TweakVI or Tweak7 here.. Just standard Windows.

So far, it's staying put after the last time I changed it.  knocking on wood...

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Doc -

Nope.. I'm an AMD diehard fanboy here.. 100% Intel free space here..
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Hi Robinson,

This tweak did not help me in changing the logon screen. I tried exactly as you have mentioned.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

$ Chris $
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Hi But how to change that windows 7 text. I dun want that windows 7 text there..
    Regards Suman B. Singh
    Friday, April 08, 2011 10:44 AM
  • you cannot remove the text.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi,

The above steps works for me. I am able to change my log on screen, could you please let me know if I want to implement it through out the organization, how can i implement it, of course I need to use Group policy. Could you please provide me the step that I need to follow, I have windows 2003 domain and windows 7 client environment.

Thanks

Avinash Udawant

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 3:21 PM
  • But i can't saw a windows 8 boot logo changed to my desired logo. I did all you have mentioned but all in wain.

In registry i have tried both DWORD and QWORD (i use 64 bit) but it doesn't changes. Please help me i don't like the blue flag logo.

Are you sure the image in the backgrounds folder created as you told should be jpg and not bmp???

If you tell me I can upload a video on youtube that what I have done and send a link to you...
    Monday, May 27, 2013 4:43 AM
  • The setting for Group Policy is set by using the Group Policy Preferences

Here is how I did the setup in my lab here. Works great:

Custom Logon UI Background GPP part 1

and part 2 in the same GPO (I called mine Branding). The Image is split in 2 as my screen could not fit the hole length of the report :-)

Custom Logon UI Background Part 2

Hope this helps.

- Jonas

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Is it working in x64?
    for me x86 version of win7 works fine... but not x64, any clue?
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:56 PM