none
Streaming video not working in any browser

Question

• When ever i load up youtube and click on a video it opens the page and the the whole browser starts freezing making the entire computer run 80% slower than usual and takes at least five minutes to close the window. it is not my internet connection that is the problem i get average download speeds of 800kb/s and plus i was running xp before the windows 7 beta and it worked fine, and it also works on my laptop. Any Help?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Capran,

If the issue does not occur when you just play the video in a window in Windows Vista but occurs when playing in full screen, I suspect that this is not a network issue. The performance of the video can be caused by several reasons. In many situations, the video quality itself is the reason. Because websites need to upload many files and higher caching speed is needed, the videos are usually edited by software and the quality will be worse.

If I have any idea, I will find the thread in our Windows Vista forum and post there. Thanks.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:03 AM

All replies

•  

Give us feedback on the Windows 7 Beta!

As an MSDN subscriber you have the ability to register with Microsoft Connect to track the status of bugs you report. You will also be able to search, view and vote on bugs other MSDN subscribers have filed.

To register on Connect, please click here. This will enroll you into the MSDN Bug Filing Program. Once you are enrolled in the program you may file bugs using any “send feedback” link in the product and access your feedback tracking page directly from this link.  Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:03 AM
  • For me, streaming media from sites like YouTube and Hulu does work in both IE and Firefox, however, the performance is very poor. With the "hi-def" video options enabled on both sites (select 480p in Hulu and "Watch in HD" for YouTube), CPU usage goes to 100% and frames are dropped, especially when viewed in fullscreen. I even tried installing the latest Adobe Flash player plugin, didn't help.

My hardware: Shuttle Sn95G5, AMD Athlon64 3800+ (2.4 GHz single core), 1 GB PC3200 RAM (will be 2 soon), ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro, WD SATA HDD. Using the latest Vista-compatible ATI video driver.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

After testing in our system, we could confirm that the stream video should be played fluently in the IE 8 beta in Windows 7 beta.

Your issues can be caused by several reasons.

1. Some third party Codec that is installed with Codec packs or media players are incompatible.

2. Your anti-virus or firewall is monitoring the buffering or playing.

3. Background programs effect.

We could try to narrow down the cause and find the culprit.

However, if it is a clean system, feel free to let me know.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:18 AM
  • Well, because of video performance issues like this, I installed Vista, however, strangely, I still have the problem with flash video when playing fullscreen. When they're in windowed mode, they're fine. I'm going to post in the Vista forum.
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hi Capran,

If the issue does not occur when you just play the video in a window in Windows Vista but occurs when playing in full screen, I suspect that this is not a network issue. The performance of the video can be caused by several reasons. In many situations, the video quality itself is the reason. Because websites need to upload many files and higher caching speed is needed, the videos are usually edited by software and the quality will be worse.

If I have any idea, I will find the thread in our Windows Vista forum and post there. Thanks.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:03 AM