none
Intel IMA ADPCM (11) missing from Vista on my new Dell Inspiron E1705

Question

• When moving my files from my old Inspiron laptop (running Windows XP Home SP2) to my brand new Dell Inspiron E1705 (running Windows Vista Home Premium) I notice that the movies I made with my digital camcorder won't play. 

Whenever I try to play them, I get the same message: that Windows Media Player lacks the Intel IMA ADPCM (11) codec.  Following the suggestion on the error message that I look for the missing codec on microsoft.com, I get the message there that this codec is unavailable.

Before downloading the missing codec, I'd like to make sure that I don't download a virus along with it - and frankly, the sites I find during Web searches which list the
    Intel IMA ADPCM (11) codec look sort of dodgy.

Can anyone point me to a reputable source for this codec?  And perhaps explain to me why I'm having to do this in the first place in an OS which supposedly cures so many problems with previous versions of Windows? 

I am not a happy Windows Vista user.  In fact, I plan to publicize this problem with Vista on my blog and everywhere else I can - to warn other people contemplating the purchase of this OS that they will have trouble playing some of their movies.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 11:36 PM

Answers

• I`m running on a acer aspire 5612 with vista home premium.Not sure if it will work for everybody but the way i get around the problem (Intel IMA ADPCM (11)) is open the folder (mines on the SD card)  i view a picture first which opens in the window photo gallery then scroll to the next item to view which is my video clip & it does play.But if u try to view the video first it will not play displaying the error  Intel IMA ADPCM (11) but opening a picture first then scroll next item in the window photo gallery which is my video clips i took on mi camera.Just make sure u opened the window photo gallery first with a picture then u should beable to view your video clips....its works for me so good luck..

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:34 AM
  •  

Yes,

I also purchase just one month back one Dell Dimension E520 Desktop Installed with Windows Vista and I too am facing the same problem and if there is any update by Microsoft and it's reliable associates & partners, please intimate so that I shall be able to download the same & resolve the issue.

In fact Windows Vista is very good for Picture & Video graphic effects but you should have a Dell's UltraSharp LCD monitor. But you cannot simply run any kind of software, Old version Games and digital devices.

Before you purchase any Camcorder, Web Cam or Digital camera, please be sure to check with seller as well as Microsoft whether the said devices are compatible with Vista or not.

Also you cannot run/install full edition of Acrobat 4 etc. Only I believe that Acrobat 8 is compatible with Vista and the full version of Acrobat is very expensive.

Anyway, I somehow compromise and manage my needs & requirements by some dos & don’ts and by trying some other options.

I would like to place my suggestions to all users of Microsoft’s Windows Vista:

·         Avoid using/installing Real Player.

·         Avoid using Google/Yahoo/Rediff toolbars.

·         Avoid using other freewares where the publishers are not known/popular or recognized.

Hope my suggestions would be helpful to the Users of Window Vista.

Thanks …. PK..

Sunday, July 01, 2007 8:04 AM

All replies

• I seem to be having the same problem also...I haven't had my laptop but a few months, so I don't really believe that I should be having problems with such a new system.  Any one with advice on this problem could you please help.   Thanks
    Monday, June 18, 2007 5:10 AM
  • We are having the same problem with our brand new Dell Dimension C521.  Please advise and let us know what we need to download.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:53 AM
  • I also ran into this same problem.

You can rely on   www.majorgeeks.com   for any download needs.   Select codec 8.1  Build 11 &  then select the city closest to where you live for the download; just follow their instructions.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:55 PM
  • I`m running on a acer aspire 5612 with vista home premium.Not sure if it will work for everybody but the way i get around the problem (Intel IMA ADPCM (11)) is open the folder (mines on the SD card)  i view a picture first which opens in the window photo gallery then scroll to the next item to view which is my video clip & it does play.But if u try to view the video first it will not play displaying the error  Intel IMA ADPCM (11) but opening a picture first then scroll next item in the window photo gallery which is my video clips i took on mi camera.Just make sure u opened the window photo gallery first with a picture then u should beable to view your video clips....its works for me so good luck..

Friday, June 22, 2007 9:34 AM
  • I have just ran into this problem and basically I agree with what Yorkshire says!

If you dont want the hastle of scrolling with a picture, right-click on an imported movie file (one that wouldn't work) and click on properties.  then it will have something that says 'opens with'.  click on the 'change...' box to the right of this and select 'windows photo gallery'.

You may find that you have to click on 'other programs' to reveal the photo gallery option.

Now it will be permanently opened in this application - which is faster than WMP.  Plus all subsequent file types will run with the same set program.

Friday, June 29, 2007 12:06 AM
  •  

Yes,

I also purchase just one month back one Dell Dimension E520 Desktop Installed with Windows Vista and I too am facing the same problem and if there is any update by Microsoft and it's reliable associates & partners, please intimate so that I shall be able to download the same & resolve the issue.

In fact Windows Vista is very good for Picture & Video graphic effects but you should have a Dell's UltraSharp LCD monitor. But you cannot simply run any kind of software, Old version Games and digital devices.

Before you purchase any Camcorder, Web Cam or Digital camera, please be sure to check with seller as well as Microsoft whether the said devices are compatible with Vista or not.

Also you cannot run/install full edition of Acrobat 4 etc. Only I believe that Acrobat 8 is compatible with Vista and the full version of Acrobat is very expensive.

Anyway, I somehow compromise and manage my needs & requirements by some dos & don’ts and by trying some other options.

I would like to place my suggestions to all users of Microsoft’s Windows Vista:

·         Avoid using/installing Real Player.

·         Avoid using Google/Yahoo/Rediff toolbars.

·         Avoid using other freewares where the publishers are not known/popular or recognized.

Hope my suggestions would be helpful to the Users of Window Vista.

Thanks …. PK..

Sunday, July 01, 2007 8:04 AM
  • Yes, same problem with Hp Media Center.  Purchased in April, HP TECH was at my door replacing Motherboard in May!  There are still issues with Bios that HP say they are working on and  are aware of.  Scary, and feeling quite like a lab rat.  Wish I could have waited to purchase.  You are correct about  questioning retail for compatibility with Vista when making web cam and digital camera purchases. 
    Acrobat 8 came as installed program. No other technical issues. Purchased new HP printer with HP desktop Media Center, still had big issues with installing printer, was not told to question compatibility issues with making both purchases at the same time.  Looked in Notes and saw printer made in 2004. Please post any new updates and thanks for your input, I feel better knowing I'm not the crazy one!

Thank you... Judyj

Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Wow - Great thread!  Very Helpful....."I'm not the only one!!!!"

I got a new XPS with Vista just this past June to avoid this kind stuff.  I got this helmet camera thing, which is awkward, but it works.  Anyway, I went through everything loupgaous and everyone else went through.  My movies do run on Windows Photo Gallery.  They also run on Creative MediaSource 5 Player.  It just seems bush that they don't run on Widows Media Player.

Doesn't this seem like something Bill Gates or one of his folks at Microsoft could easily fix....even with a hangover?????

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Katzie5

I tried to download the codec file but i just can't get it.  First of all, i can't find build 11, i could only find buile 14, wich i downloaded.  so now that's sitting in my program file, but it's not doing anything - or helping.  it's 5meg file, but it i still can't play the file on widows media player.  it didn't seem to give me any instructions that made sense.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:47 AM
  • I'm so glad I saw this message!  I may have eventually tried Creative MediaSource, but who knows when!  The video files opened instantly, but not with Windows Media Player.  Must be nice to Bill, huh?  Thanks for the tip!

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:22 PM
  •  yorkshire :-) wrote:

I`m running on a acer aspire 5612 with vista home premium.Not sure if it will work for everybody but the way i get around the problem (Intel IMA ADPCM (11)) is open the folder (mines on the SD card)  i view a picture first which opens in the window photo gallery then scroll to the next item to view which is my video clip & it does play.But if u try to view the video first it will not play displaying the error  Intel IMA ADPCM (11) but opening a picture first then scroll next item in the window photo gallery which is my video clips i took on mi camera.Just make sure u opened the window photo gallery first with a picture then u should beable to view your video clips....its works for me so good luck..

Great advice thanks so much. I have had this prob for ages and couldn't work out why it played after I had downloaded them but not when I went on to pictures lol Now I know why and it works brilliantly for me Woohoo

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 9:30 PM
  • I just bought a Compaq  with Vista, a few days ago and I just loaded a few videos of my grand baby. I received this notice as well. I go looking to download from the Internet Intel IMA ADPCM (11) codec.. I just paid for everything and now I am expected to buy a program which was included on my old computer.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:37 AM
  •  

yer Intel IMA ADPCM (11) codec is not missing just use another player e.g nero show it will work fine its just media player on vista is faulty (vista os faulty) ps i gone back to xp
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 11:30 AM
  • For some reason, the forum won't recognize me as the guy who originally posted as "loupgarous," so just take my word for it, it's me.

Updating solved the original problem sometime around January of this year (can't remember precisely).  SP1 should have the patch for this problem; now, all of my MP4 video files my digital camcorder makes will play in every Vista and third-party application.

In fact, after updating with SP1, I notice that my wi-fi adapter signs on first thing right after my system boots and desktop appears; everything runs faster than it did when I took delivery of the Vista system originally.  Not even any Blue Screens of Death!

So everybody, if you're still getting codec trouble with MP4, .asf files or other movie files, try updating to Service Pack 1.  That should fix that particular issue and very possibly fix many others as well.

Good Luck!
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  

sevice pack 1 does NOT resolve this issue on my toshiba sat pro.

however, using the "open with" context menu and making windows photo gallery the default program does play the asf file as the codec in question is already present on vista machines...but for some reason WMP and other programs cannot find it. I would really like to be able to open my asf movies with whatever I want..so any resolution to this prob would be great.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:01 PM
  •  

I'm running on HP Pavilion Entertainment (core duo) with vista home premium. i had the same problem with the missing codec... so i tried yorkshire's solution and it still working very well for me. so everybody can do it, i suppose..anyway thank you yorkshire..and good luck everybody...
    Sunday, June 08, 2008 10:16 AM
  • I CANT PLAY MY VIDEO WITHOUT THE CODEC IT ASKING FOR SO CAN U PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 12:34 PM
  • I finally fixed the problem with running .asf movie files on my Dell Inspiron E1705.

Do this:

- click on mplayerc_20080414.zip - this downloads is a .zip file with Media Player Classic, an open-source freeware version of Windows Media Player which resembles the old Win 9(x) Media Player, from sourceforge.org.

No bells or whistles, but it WILL run .ASF files fine.
    You'll get the download dialog box and will be asked if you'd like to run the program from the Web or save it to disk.

- create a new empty folder, call it whatever you like, and select "save to disk"

- save the mplayerc_20080414.zip file to that empty folder.

- click "extract all files" and the new folder mplayerc_20080414 will be created within the new folder you made manually, and the file mplayerc.exe will be created automatically inside THAT folder.   That is Media Player Classic.

- using Windows Explorer, click on an .ASF file and select "open with," then browse to the mplayerc.exe in that new directory, or follow the procedure for setting your folder options to open ALL .ASF files with the new mplayerc.exe app.

this new app WILL run .ASF files.  All other files you may elect to open with the version of Media Player that came with Vista or which ever application you were using before you downloaded this one.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by LynneMB Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:12 AM
    Monday, June 09, 2008 11:38 AM
  • Hello, my name is Pedro and I recently purchesed a Dell Inspiron 1525 and had the same problem (Intel IMA ADPCM (11)). While looking for information on how to fix the problem, I stumbled on the same problem dealing with E1705 model. I read you answer to the problem and tried it myself. I would just like to thank you for sharing this information with others. To my suprise I actually worked. Now I can go back to enjoying vista till another problem arises.

Sincerly,

Pedro Vargas

pedz99@yahoo.com

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:49 AM
  • You're very welcome, Pedro.  Glad the fix worked.  Maybe Microsoft can negotiate a deal to use sourceforge.org's code for this version of Media Player to get their own newer versions of the app for Vista up and running.

Do me a favor and mark my post "helpful" if you haven't done so yet.  Thanks.

Vance Frickey

vfrickey@ricochet.com
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 5:06 PM
  •  

Saturday, July 12, 2008 12:19 AM
  • Thanks for the help. Works fine now

Saturday, August 02, 2008 10:37 AM
  • I just got a Dell Laptop with Vista.  The box was built in July 2008 - should it have been delivered with SP1.  If it was I am still having the IMA ADPCM (11) Codec issue!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:49 PM
  •  

Are you trying to play an ASF file?  ADPCM is no longer supported in ASF.  You can use "side" routes like those mentioned above, but an ADPCM ASF file will not work in Windows Media Player in Windows Vista.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Note that I corrected myself later - you have to use a third-party version of Media Player, "Media Player Classic" (mplayerc.exe) from sourceforge.net
    (try http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=82303&use_mirror=internap&filename=mpc2kxp6490.zip&8489260 to download the latest version)
    to run .asf files.  Other posters to this thread have explained why this is. It's not really as cool as Media Player 9 and later, but it WILL run .asf files, which those players won't do in Vista.  It's the least complex fix for the .asf in Vista problem.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 8:52 PM
  • I am running a post POS instalation of Vista Ultimate and am getting ready to go back to Linux because of the lack of support MS are now providing with their half baked package. Premium prices for the top of the range product and still i dont get a simple codec which the open source community are happy to provide. I found the same with DVD and a number of other codecs which MS try to put me on to pages where i can buy the codecs which i would have expected came with such a costly product. I am running WMedia player but not at all happy that i have to.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:20 AM
  • Thanks! This worked... now if we can find a way to convert the ASF files to something that does play for everyone, that will be sweet.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:12 AM
  • I have same problem since I bought my Asus Notebook with Vista in 2008. I've been trying to locate the Intel IMA ADPCM (11) codec for years. 
    Following the suggestion on the error message that I look for the missing codec on microsoft.com, I get the message there that this codec is unavailable. Microsoft has never worked on it, nor Asus. 
    Windows Media Player, Window photo gallery, RealPlayer, all require Intel IMA ADPCM (11) codec!!! 

So, take my advice - Just forget about it! 

The simple solution is using Google Picasa 3, you can play all your *.asf files.

Otherwise, install WinAVI Video Converter to convert *.asf files into other format. 
    Friday, October 09, 2009 6:45 PM
  • This may work for some of you... it is quick and harmless to try and is easy to reverse if you don't get the desired results.
    This is assuming that you know how to easily rename file extentions of multiple files.  If not, it is easy to learn.
    I found that changing the file extention from .asf to .asx makes it playable on my machine which i believe has only the aud and vid codecs that came with Vista Home Premium 64bit.
    *an explanation of the two file extentions and other formats supported by WMP11 can be found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992
    *and for Windows Media Center supported file types http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/File-types-supported-by-Windows-Media-Center
    Here are the details...
    My files are encoded as such-  Video Codec: ISO MPEG-4 Video V1  Audio Codec: IMA ADPCM

When labeled as ASF files...

Windows Explorer, and Windows Media Center both display thumbnails of the video and report the correct duration
    Windows Explorer-(file properties) shows correct Video Length, Frame Width and height, and Total bitrate, also Audio Bit rate
    but Media Center and Media Player both will not play the file and complain of the lack of Intel IMA ADPCM.

When renamed as .asx
    (Advanced Stream Redirector) which is actually an extention for xml metafiles...
    for some reason Media Center and Media Player both will play the file just fine
    Media Center does not show thumbnails of the video and cannot in advance tell me the duration.  It also strangly reports created on as 12/31/1979 (probably because my files lack a file system Created date, not sure).  Though it does play!
    Windows Explorer shows the thumbnails (though this may be a remnant of its association with the system's desktop or thumb database files from when it was an ASF), but it does not give me in depth file properties info now because Explorer is now thinking it is a Windows Media Audio/Video playlist (.asx) file.
    Media Player file properties now reports valid Video length, Bit rate, Media type: Video, Video size WxH, Audio Codec, and Video Codec.  AND it does play!

This is a great workaround for me because these files are from my pocket dv recorder that I use for audio and video memos/notes, and I only need to be able to view them easily with the programs that I use to view all of my other general misc. video.
    I do not however need the ability to organize these videos via date taken/created or any other tag info.  If I did, I would batch convert all of my ASF files to WMV or some other more universal taggable format.
    So if thumbnails and tag info are important to you I recommend you search out some of the great free tools for batch converting to whatever file format suits you best.  www.videohelp.com  or  www.avsforum.com are great places to look.  Once you find the right tool, learn to use it, and if your asf video files are mostly of a fairly similar quality/format, you will be able to select all of you files (a batch) start the conversion, and walk away, letting the program process this big list of conversions for you... you come back later, and you hopefully have nice new friendly video files.
    If you for some reason don't want to embark on such an adventure, but still want to have some nice WMV files instead of ASF, do as some of these other people have said... Import the ASF file into Windows Movie Maker (comes with Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate), drag it to the timeline/storyboard, "Publish" to "this computer", choose file quality and type options, and presto.  Assuming you chose an output file such as WMV you can now tag it how you wish.  This however is a tedious one at a time method.

Hope this helps!  If it does, don't forget to vote it as helpful.

Friday, October 23, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Fai Lok's reply is the best of the lot.  Set Windows Photo Gellery as the default application for files requiring this codec on Windows Vista (including 64-bit)

Friday, October 23, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Except that it doesn't work on my system (Dell Inspiron E1705 running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 3).  

Using mplayerc.exe from SourceForge as the default app for .ASF files DOES work, and it's fast and easy. See my post above as loupgarous_1 to see how to get it.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:01 AM