none
BSOD install Windows 7 X64

Question

• i get bsod with multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported.....

32 bits version install fine but i wanted to test all my ram on windows 7,my main system is windows vista x64 and it installed without a problem so i dont understand why on windows 7 i have that problem.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 3:54 PM

Answers

• Olddoc- Thanks for this information - I'm not sure what to make of it yet - it all looks correct...Also, I think there is a registry key to disable reboot on BSOD, but you'd have to use an offline registry editor to do so. Unless you have a kernel debugger setup handy, don't worry about.
    Maiquer - This data pretty much confirms what we were thinking. If you notice, ECX of CPUID(1) is different on Core 0 than the other cores (only Core 0 is correct). 
    Unca- Yes. the result of the CPUID instruction does show the different feature sets on the cores on the same processor.  There's still too many variables to signify who is to blame.  That said, we are working with Asus to see what we can do for you folks and other people in this scenario.

Thanks,
    John
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Just a little update. I got it to run after some hassle, with a big but to it, though. My specs again for reference: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 on P5W DH Deluxe, BIOS 2801.
    So I remembered someone writing that he got it to run with an older BIOS version. I looked up what BIOS version was at least needed for my CPU. 2103something was not available so I tried the next one available from ASUS: 2406. Went fine but POST would pause on boot with a "Intel CPU uCode error. Hit F1 to resume", which I just hit. Lo and behold, it would let me install W7 x64 now (actually I did an upgrade of a freshly installed Vista x64, but of course it wouldn't finish, quitting with the discussed BSOD on the first boot into W7 before I switched to 2406). Milestone! :)
    So, I thought I'd keep trying out other BIOSes until I would hit the one causing all the trouble. Next one in line: BIOS 2503. Flashed OK, "uCode" error again, BSODed at boot time. So I went back to 2406. Only then did I notice that with 2406 my CPU ran at 2.66 GHz as opposed to the 3 GHz it's supposed to run at. Going to the BIOS setup confirmed it. The multiplicator's value was set to 8 instead of 9. Alright, manual override to 9, save, reboot. CPU locked up, screen stayed black, CPU fan remained on full speed.
    <OFFTOPIC>
    I suspect, at least some of you know, what a pain in the ... it is to clear the CMOS on this board... Of course I've got a gfx card that's taking up 2 slots. Whoever opted for the CMOS battery to be between the PCIe and the PCI slot should be shot. What a terrible piece of hardware engineering. Not that you would usually have to clear CMOS that often but in this situation it was martyrdom. Anyway, back to the topic.
    </OFFTOPIC>
    When my PC went back on fine, again, I thought I'd give 2801 a shot but this time set the multiplicator manually down to 8. One BIOS flash, another CPU lockup, another CMOS reset and a final BIOS flash to 2406 later, I gave up. Since I'm eager to try out W7 I'm now on 2406 and my CPU runs at 2.66 GHz. I think I can do without those additional 333 MHz for the time being.
    Maybe Windows doesn't like uneven multiplicators? Or maybe multiplicators above 8? Well, if you feel adventurous, you might want to play around a bit with multiplicator/BIOS versions. Let us know! :)
    Thomas
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:19 PM

All replies

• Here's a link to a description of the error message:  Click Here
    It says that you don't have the same processors in your system (for example, a Pentium paired with a 486 processor).
    If this is the case, I'd disable one of the processors.

If it's not the case, then I'd suspect that this is a driver issue with your motherboard drivers.  Updating to the latest Vista version may help, but as this is beta software there are no guarantees (FWIW - I had a TV Card issue with the Vista beta that was never solved - while the issue with my NIC was solved).

- John
    Friday, January 09, 2009 9:25 PM
  • err,im tryng to install windows 7 not vista....
    how would i update drivers if i cant even install it?

im on a Intel Q9400 so 4 core are same....
    Friday, January 09, 2009 9:45 PM
  • ok i give up on testing windows 7 x64 :(

nobody can help me i think.
    i whas able to install it by msconfig from vista and force use 1 core over that boot install and it worked but if i put back to use all 4 core i get same error bsod.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:39 PM
  • I got that problem, too. The 32bit version installs fine but the 64bit installer throws the same "multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported" BSOD.

Specs:
    Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz
    4 GB RAM
    ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe
    Geforce 8800 GTX

Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:36 PM
  • This most likely has to do with your chipset/motherboard drivers - although some systems have CPU drivers that can contribute to this.  Try making sure that you have the latest version of each installed if you're doing an upgrade.

If you're doing a clean install, I'd imagine you could slipstream the drivers into the DVD - but that's way beyond my abilities.
    - John
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:39 AM
  • i got same motherboard,i guess it has to do with moderboard bios or whatever(im using last release of the bios).

So do i have to ask on asus forums or i keep an eye here?
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:41 AM
  • Il fact, I have exactly the same problem :

When I start the install, the x64 version of seven (7000) give me a blue screen "multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported" in my Asus card with a single Core2Duo E8600 (Asus P5W DH) (but the x64 work quite fine on the same computer... in a virtual machine)

But the 32 bits version work fine. But the limitations of 32 bits version (2 Gb of ram on my computer) are quite annoying.

I'm "relieved" to see that i'm not the only case with this problem.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:17 PM
  • A clean install of Vista 64 works fine... but Windows 7 x64 I get the same error as listed above.   Looks like they must of left out some drivers between the 2 versions... 1 step forward...2 back.

Motherboard... asus.  P5W DH Deluxe, Bios 2801,  CPU: E8600

Friday, January 23, 2009 6:28 AM
  • It probably is the board/BIOS.  I have been lucky so far.  Did clean 84 bit install on Asus M2A-VM with AMD quadcore 9600. 

No issues except a few (as expected) incompatible application drivers.  Kaspersky even works OK (it bluescreened every 5 minutes on 32 bit upgrade installation ...).

Friday, January 23, 2009 6:22 PM
  • I'm getting the same BSOD and error code.

Mobo: Asus P5W DH Deluxe, BIOS 2801, CPU: Q9650, W7 64 bit

Everything was running Ok before upgrading my old E6700 to this new Q9650 (same motherboard and BIOS). Win Vista 64 runs perfectly with this hardware configuration.

I think it has something to do with the BIOS and the 1333 FSB CPUs.
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 1:30 PM
  • True true, I also have a P5W DH Deluxe with the E8600 an get the same error on setup. I think, that's the CPU.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:58 PM
  • I'm facing the same BSOD during a clean installation of Window 7.0 64b Beta. I also have a P5W DH with a E8600 installed.

Has anybody already contacted Asus or can we consider this as a Windows 7.0 bug?
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Asus P6T Deluxe upgraded from Vista 64 to W7 64 with no issues (using RAID array)
    Same mobo installed W7 64 clean and had no issues.

20 minutes to get to the Vista desktop on a clean install, significantly longer to upgrade or clean install of W7

Many, many issues with the Asus software tho'
    - John
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Maybe it's a Windows 7 bug, since I'm running Vista x64 on the same machine with no issues at all.
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:13 AM
  • I had Win 7 64bit working fine with a P5wDH Deluxe bios 2801 and a core 2 duo 6700.
    I installed a Quad core 9650 and I get a BSOD trying to boot my install. Even the Win 7 DVD BSODs with
    multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported
    Windows xp 32 bit works fine. Ubuntu Ibex 64 bit runs fine with the new quad core.
    I'd call this a bug with Windows 7 beta.
    I also tried booting with APIC 2 support turned off in the mobo and it made no difference.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 7:02 PM
  • same happend with windows vista sp2 beta.....
    cant try ver x64 i feel bad cause ms donsent answer if is MS problem or asus problem... (i feel like i wont be able to try the x64 nether the vista sp2)

P5W DH Deluxe ,Intel Q9400 Core2Quad....

i wonder if it will b fixed on RC version cause i did try all the version leaked on the net and same thing still happend....(last tryed Windows 7 Build 7048 x64) 
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:19 AM
  • I hope either MS or ASUS get this fixed. So far, the only solution is to get a new motherboard.

Has anybody contacted ASUS about this? It seems related to the P5W and the 45nm CPUs.

Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:52 AM
  • After a little more experimenting with Window 7x64 on a Asus  P5N32-SLI-SE with a Core 2 Duo E6400 processor. It took a very long time to get it installed. After install system was running really slow. I noticed in Task Manager that one of the processors was running at 49%.
     I booted up Windows XP Prox32. Opened up Task Manager and one of the processors was still running at 49%. I put my Xp Pro disk in to try and do a repair. When installing devices I kept getting a BSOD.
     I booted back into Windows 7x64 and move all my important files to a backup disk and reformatted my C: drive. Put my XPx32 disk in and reinstalled. Then I checked Task Manager and processors were normal.
     Reformatted the drive I installed Windows 7x64. I installed Windows 7x32 (took 25minutes) which seems to run fine. I not quite sure what the 64 bit version did to my system or my Asus MoBo. Not sure if its Asus or Windows 7.  
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 1:34 PM
  • I OWN DELL STUDIO 540 W 750 HD/6 GB@800 RAM Q9300@1333FSB, ATI RADION HD 2900 @256 GDDR4, AND I CURRENTLY HAVE INSTALLED 1 WIN 7 X64 7000. / WIN VISTA HP X64 SP1/ VISTA ULTIMATE X32 SP1 / IM HAVE A TRI BOOT AND IT WORKS GREAT NO HARDWARE ISSUES FAST , HAVE TO SAY WIN ULTIMATE 64 IS VERY FAST AND VER USER FRIENDLY, READING ALL THESE POSTS I CANT UNDERSTAND THE PROB IF YOU HAVE A 64 BIT CPU WHY ARE PEPLE HAVING SO MANY ISSUES WIHT  INSTALL, ALSO HAVE ALL SDK IN 64 ULTIMATE INC ALLL VIS STUDIO EXPRESS VERSIONS , PHOTOSHOP CS4 IS INCREDIBLE IN ULTIMAT X64 , MY ARCH IS AMD/INT64
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 1:11 AM
  •  Windows 7 64 bit is installed. This took all night and this morning I set up the time, computer name etc but it's very sluggish and now it's just a kind of purple screen with the cursor visible and a occasional blue twirling arrow but it seems stuck. I did a clean install on a new hard drive.  I've not seen the area to enter the product key yet.
    These are my system specs:
    Asus P5N32-SLI-SE-Deluxe MoBo
    Intel 6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPU
    MSI 650 watt Power Supply
    4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
    BFG 8800 GTS 512mb G92 Video Card
    Creative XFI Extreme  Sound Card
    Western Digital 7200 rpm 16 mb cache 320 gb SATA Hard Drive
    Thermaltake aluminum case with 3 adjustable speed fans (2-120mm 1- 90 mm)
     Seems like I'm one that should have stuck with the 32 bit Windows 7. Will my product key work with a 32 bit version?
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Hmm ... tried a install (of Win7 64bit) this morning. However the feared MULTI_... BSOD :_(

Configuration:
    P5W DH Deluxe
    Q9550
    4GB ram

XP, Vista32, Vista64 running like a charm (Vista32 even met SP2 RC). Not sure what to do next ... hope this gets fixed (either by ASUS or MSFT). Do not want to buy a new motherboard (just for Windows 7 :-( )
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:49 AM
  • I had the same BSOD problem.  I have a q9400 and asus p5w dh deluxe.  I rolled back the firmware on the MB and the windows 7 install worked fine; so it is def a Mb problem.  I just got windows 7 RC and will try and install it on the latest firmware and let you know how it goes.
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:54 PM
  • I had the same BSOD problem.  I have a q9400 and asus p5w dh deluxe.  I rolled back the firmware on the MB and the windows 7 install worked fine; so it is def a Mb problem.  I just got windows 7 RC and will try and install it on the latest firmware and let you know how it goes.
    what bios version u used when install went fine?....
    i may try to roll it back if needed i rly want to try windows 7.
    Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:09 PM
  • I used bios ver. 2704.  It gave me a bios error on startup, but other than that it worked fine.  I did install windows 7 on the old bios then update to 2801 and this made windows 7 BSOD on startup.  I tried to install RC1 and it gave me the same error.  We'll have to have to wait for a bios update or for Windows 7 to fix the prolem.
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:02 AM
  • May be an Asus problem. I had Win 7 64 Bit running on an Abit board with no issues. All drivers and deviuces installed and recognized properly. Switched to Asus and most of the board devices were unrecognized. There was no hope (as usual) in the Asus site so I opted to dump 7 and install Vista 64.
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:54 AM
  • I've got the exact problem. First I installed Windows 7 RC 7100 x64 on my PC without any problems. But then I exchanged my CPU from Intel Dual Core 2 E6600 (2.4 Ghz) to an Intel Quad Core Q9550 (2.83 Ghz).

After that the BSOD appeared at boot startup from DVD drive for a clean install. I cannot get Windows 7 running anymore. Tried to reinstall. Updated (again) to newest BIOS 2801. But the Bluescreen with 'multiprocessor_configuration_not supported' error STOP: 0X0000003E appears every time. The same system config works perfectly with Windows XP SP3 x32.

My system:
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Bios 2801)
    Intel Quad Core 9550 (4 x 2.83 Mhz)
    2 x 2GB Muskin 6400 RAM
    NVIDIA 8800 GTS
    Creative Xfi
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:25 AM
  • Will be interested to see how the install goes on my Asus P53E Deluxe with the Quad Core 9650, the early beta was flawless on install hopefully it will continue.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 4:28 AM
  • same problem still on RC1 of windows 7 x64....

come on guys i will not buy a new motherboard just because m$ wont fix that ****....

P5W DH Deluxe
    Bios 2801
    6 Gb Ram
    Intel Core2Quad Q9400
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 8:05 AM
  • Tried an x64 install to a Dell XPS720 and received the same error.  Eventually go it running but then received various BSODs.   Also very slow to shutdown, 3 to 5 mins.  Runs fine under vmware on an x64 vista host.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 11:58 AM
  • I'm running a MSI k9vgm-v motherboard with 2 gigs of ram and an AMD athlon x2 5000+ black edition with an nvidia geforce 7900gs and a westerdigitial 7200 rpm 400gb sata hdd and when i install Windows 7 x86 i get the bsod after it copies setup files. it had ran the beta version and vista ultimate fine.

My problem was fixed by removing my 7900 gs video card im not sure if its an nvidida problem or a 7/pci-e problem but without it i run fine
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 2:15 PM
  • multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported BSOD install with Windows 7 x64.

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (2801)
    Intel Q9550 (3.14 GHz)
    4 x 2GB A-DATA ADQVE1B16 (463 MHz)
    SAPPHIRE 100242-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB
    Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1

Gonna keep an eye on this thread.  Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 12:44 AM
  • i just wonder why people come and post to this thread telling us that has no problems....when they dont have our motherboard or nether bsod.....

come on guys WTF is going on your brains?
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:13 AM
  • I've the same problem at the first reboot (setup)

my mb and core : Sapphire Pure Element 690V ~ Athlon x2 6000+
    32bit is working but i need to test the 64bit version
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:25 AM
  • this is a problem of win7 and the bios...
    vista64 has a way to deal with it but win7 64 not and the same goes for some programs like vmware. these couldn´t find the 64bit function too when installed on a pc with p5w bios2801 and a 45nm processor ^^
    asus said that they stopped the support of this board... all hope is now on a patch for win7 64bit :\

ps. sorry for bad english, i´m german ;)
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:54 AM
  • Just a little update. I got it to run after some hassle, with a big but to it, though. My specs again for reference: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 on P5W DH Deluxe, BIOS 2801.
    So I remembered someone writing that he got it to run with an older BIOS version. I looked up what BIOS version was at least needed for my CPU. 2103something was not available so I tried the next one available from ASUS: 2406. Went fine but POST would pause on boot with a "Intel CPU uCode error. Hit F1 to resume", which I just hit. Lo and behold, it would let me install W7 x64 now (actually I did an upgrade of a freshly installed Vista x64, but of course it wouldn't finish, quitting with the discussed BSOD on the first boot into W7 before I switched to 2406). Milestone! :)
    So, I thought I'd keep trying out other BIOSes until I would hit the one causing all the trouble. Next one in line: BIOS 2503. Flashed OK, "uCode" error again, BSODed at boot time. So I went back to 2406. Only then did I notice that with 2406 my CPU ran at 2.66 GHz as opposed to the 3 GHz it's supposed to run at. Going to the BIOS setup confirmed it. The multiplicator's value was set to 8 instead of 9. Alright, manual override to 9, save, reboot. CPU locked up, screen stayed black, CPU fan remained on full speed.
    <OFFTOPIC>
    I suspect, at least some of you know, what a pain in the ... it is to clear the CMOS on this board... Of course I've got a gfx card that's taking up 2 slots. Whoever opted for the CMOS battery to be between the PCIe and the PCI slot should be shot. What a terrible piece of hardware engineering. Not that you would usually have to clear CMOS that often but in this situation it was martyrdom. Anyway, back to the topic.
    </OFFTOPIC>
    When my PC went back on fine, again, I thought I'd give 2801 a shot but this time set the multiplicator manually down to 8. One BIOS flash, another CPU lockup, another CMOS reset and a final BIOS flash to 2406 later, I gave up. Since I'm eager to try out W7 I'm now on 2406 and my CPU runs at 2.66 GHz. I think I can do without those additional 333 MHz for the time being.
    Maybe Windows doesn't like uneven multiplicators? Or maybe multiplicators above 8? Well, if you feel adventurous, you might want to play around a bit with multiplicator/BIOS versions. Let us know! :)
    Thomas
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 6:19 PM
  • So you got it to install and boot with 2406?
    Friday, May 08, 2009 12:06 PM
  • The issue is with VT being enabled.  I had the same issue.  My problem was my bios was not recognizing my processor correctly. (I have the new Q9550 E0 Stepping).  I updated my bios and enabled Virtualization Technology and then was able to install Win 7 x64.

So the short of it is to make sure that:

1)  Your processor support VT
    2)  Your bios displays the setting for VT
    3)  You enable VT for your processor in the bios

Once this is done...it will work properly.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 3:25 PM
  • @Rock Lee: Yes, got it to install and boot. I'm actually writing this from within W7 x64.
    @thunderman74: Not too sure about that. My CPU does support VT, my BIOS does display the setting for VT, VT was enabled (although I'm not sure if it was all greyed out and unchangeable in 2801) but still 2801 wouldn't boot the installer. Only 2406 with the reduced mulitplicator let me do it.
    Thomas
    Friday, May 08, 2009 6:22 PM

• VT setting is not displayed in bios 2801 here , cpu is supposed to be virtualisation enabled (see below)???
    Tried older bios-ses
    BSOD remains during installing 64-bit windows7
    32- bit is running nicely , so far.
    Woul like to stick with this motherboard until i7 goes down in price.
    I am surprised that so many people here have the newest 755 cpu's incl. quadcore
    in this mb. I was afraid to get lots of problems so i went for the e7400 (fsb 1066)
    But it seems to be no problem. Damned.......lucky for you guys though.

My system:
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Bios 2801)
    Intel E7400 (OC 20%: 3.33 Mhz)
    2 x 2GB RAM
    ATI 3850 graphics

Hans

Friday, May 08, 2009 7:19 PM
  • @Unca: as you can see on this Intel page your CPU is in fact not equipped with VT. :(

Thomas
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 12:08 AM
  • OK, just try to install the 64bits  RC and... blue screen MULTI[...] like the Beta.

My configuration if this could help :

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=465854

(bios 2801)

@+, Arka
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 8:34 AM
  • the response over are not a nswer, just clicked wrongly.

I hav the same problem with an IWill DNS-Sata with 2x xeon 2,80 Ghz (604) and 8GB of RAM
    Windows Vista ULTIMATE 64-bit   installs without trouble
    Windows Server  2008 64-bit       installs without trouble
    Windows 7 BETA 7000 64-bit       ERROR: multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported
    Windows 7 RC 64-bit                  ERROR: multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported

update:
    Its Clearly that Microsoft has forgot the different stepping support that they had in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.
    This Intel Report was taken on a Norvergian Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    Just before I ran it I had tried both server 2008 64-bit (okay) and Windows 7 RC(not okay) before installing the Vista 64-bit(okay)
    I think Microsoft has to fix this, Why shouldn't we be able to install Windows 7 on a system that runs 64-bit system of both Vista and 2008 without problems?

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
    Version: 4.10.20090310
    Time Stamp: 2009/08/06 11:01:40
    Number of processors in system: 2
    Current processor: #1
    Active cores per processor: 1
    Disabled cores per processor: 0
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
    Type: 0
    Family: F
    Model: 3
    Stepping: 4
    Revision: 17
    Maximum CPUID Level: 5
    L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
    L2 Cache: 1 MB
    L3 Cache: None
    Packaging: 604 pin µPGA
    Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: No
    MMX(TM): Yes
    Intel(R) SSE: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE2: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE3: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE4: No
    Enhanced Halt State: No
    Execute Disable Bit: No
    Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
    Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes
    Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: No
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
    Version: 4.10.20090310
    Time Stamp: 2009/08/06 11:01:51
    Number of processors in system: 2
    Current processor: #2
    Active cores per processor: 1
    Disabled cores per processor: 0
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
    Type: 0
    Family: F
    Model: 4
    Stepping: 1
    Revision: 17
    Maximum CPUID Level: 5
    L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
    L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
    L2 Cache: 1 MB
    L3 Cache: None
    Packaging: 604 pin µPGA
    Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: No
    MMX(TM): Yes
    Intel(R) SSE: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE2: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE3: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE4: No
    Enhanced Halt State: No
    Execute Disable Bit: No
    Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
    Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes
    Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: No
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

The Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta tells me that I can install or upgrade my system, this was also run from inside a Vista 64-bit

Upgrade Available  You can do an in-place upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. If you choose to upgrade to a different edition you will need to perform a clean installation. Go online to see detailed instructions about how to upgrade.
     Windows Mail, Parental Controls, and Ultimate Extras Download new programs Windows Mail, Parental Controls (Web Filtering), and Ultimate Extras are not included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs from other software manufacturers or go to the Microsoft website to learn more.
     CPU speed 2,80 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
     RAM 8,00 GB Your system memory meets the 1 GB requirement for 32-bit Windows 7 and the 2 GB requirement for 64-bit Windows 7. 
     Hard Drive Free Space 353,01 GB Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7 and 20 GB free space for 64-bit Windows 7. 
     Windows Aero Capable Your system can run Windows Aero. 

Devices
     Radeon X1300 PRO (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
    ATI Technologies Inc. Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Radeon X1300 PRO Secondary (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
    ATI Technologies Inc. Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
    Broadcom Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24D1
    Intel Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
     Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
     Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
     Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB
     Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
     Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
     USB Mass Storage Device
    Compatible USB storage device Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Generisk USB-hub
    (Generisk USB-hub) Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 

Programs
     No issues detected.

• Edited by NikonTro Saturday, May 09, 2009 11:23 AM
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 9:11 AM
  • As suggested by Thunderman74, I've just checked that VT is enabled in my BIOS and my CPU supports it. Still getting the BSOD...

I'm downloading the RC 64bit right now and will test it later...

P5WDH Deluxe rev 1.04G, BIOS 2801
    Intel Quad Q9650
    WinVista Ultimate 64 running OK

Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Same 'multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported" BSOD with Windows 7 RC 64bit.

It's 5 months now and still they haven't fixed the issue, either MS or ASUS. I don't think they'll get it ever fixed.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Hi All,

In my previous post I explained the steps that enabled me to install it correctly.  When I first started, I could install xp pro 64, Vista Ultimate 64....but not Windows 7 64.  I would
    continuously get the same frigging Blue Screen.  'multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported'.  What led me to the VT is this:

I had a tri-boot...Win XP Pro 32bit, Vista Ultimate 32bit and Windows 7 32bit.  Well...I wanted to try Windows 7 64bit.  It would not install...blue screen.  So then I ditched the idea
    and upgraded my Windows 32bit from 7077 yo 7100 RC1.  I also wanted to try the new XP Mode Virtualization.  7100 RC1 installed just fine but the XP Mode failed to install telling
    me that my (hardware) processor did not support it.  BS.  I have a Q9550 and I KNOW that it supports VT.  So I went to the bios and the setting was NO where to be found.  I had Thermal Control, Execute Disable Bit, and EIST...but no VT.  So I went out on the net and found an update to my bios.  I have the E0 stepping which is newer for that CPU and some posts stated that I needed a newer bios for that stepping.  So...I went and downloaded the bios and installed it (alwasy VERY nervous to flash a bios..some very expensive furniture has been made that way.  It then showed the VT setting and I turned it on.  At that point I tried the Windows 64bit install and Whalla....it worked.

So it was either the VT settting or an out of date bios that I had.  The ONLY change that was different in the bios settings from my 14 bios to my 16 bios was the VT setting.  I double checked them all.  So that is how I came to the conclusion of the Virtualization Technology setting.  I could very well be wrong, but all evidence pointed in that direction.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:27 AM
  • I've tried with VT disabled, too. Same BSOD.

Anyway, the problem is with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 only. 

32bit seems to recognize the 'multiprocessor configuration' properly and installs just fine. So, it is not a problem with our systems, it is a bug. And, after 5-6 months and several betas, it has not been fixed yet. I'm not sure about who has to do it (MS or ASUS), but it seems neither of them will do anything about it. ASUS has stated that they don't support the P5WDH Deluxe motherboard anymore, because it is 'old' (laugh).

So, what I understand they are telling us is 'Hey guys, get a new motherboard'. Nice solution.

If I have to get a new motherboard because of this, what I'll get is an entirely new system with an apple logo in it, and forget about BSODs and multiprocessor configurations oddly not supported...
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:00 AM
  • The problem seems to be with the CPU as different chipsets seem to be exhibiting the same problem.

But Vista x64 runs fine with this hardware configuration, and XP x64 also. I'm sure that a BIOS update by ASUS would fix the problem, too. But, from what I read in their forums, it won't happen.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 5:36 AM
  • The problem seems to be with the CPU as different chipsets seem to be exhibiting the same problem.

But Vista x64 runs fine with this hardware configuration, and XP x64 also. I'm sure that a BIOS update by ASUS would fix the problem, too. But, from what I read in their forums, it won't happen.

I've been at this all day with my setup:
    P5WDH Deluxe (2704 Bios), Q6600, 4Gig 1066mhz, 2 3870x2's, Enermax Rev 1050 PSU:

Trying to fresh install Windows7 v.7100 x64 would result in constant freezing , during the Language/Install selection....

Windows 7 x64 Install Fix:
     " Disable Memory Remapping "

Now i Only have 1666mb of ram, but the Install went as smooth as v7000 x64.

If i enable memory remapping after Install is complete, my system will not boot/load after the "Starting Windows Flash Screen".

will see what the Asus forums are saying about this.
    (i will also try disabling the Virualization Technology feature, with remapping enabled) 

EDIT:
    2 HOURS later, I Enabled Memory remapping. with a couple Slow bootups.
    - enabled 4 CPU's & Maximum Memory 4096mb within "MSconfig".
    - There was a new System Test update in WinUpdates, rebooted

All is running Pefect Now!

I lurv PC's : )
    • Proposed as answer by ToroBT Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:43 AM
  •  

damn ASUS motherboard!!! no more support ??  I remember when 95 first came on to the scene.  I had a artec scanner... and they said they will not release new drivers for me to use the device on the new Operating system, so I bought a new scanner.. and guess what it was not an Artec!!  So I guess I will eventually  buy another motherboard but guess what...it will not be an asus... after using asus for years I will drop their brand.... 

I guess business is too good for them and they feel like down-sizing... Because cost ratio of holding onto clients and enticing new ones is 6 to 1... so it will cost them 6 times the price to get a customer to replace me...

see ya!!

• Edited by gonk66 Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:20 AM adding info
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:20 AM
  • the cpu I have is supposed to have it according to intel...and disabling it does nothing..

Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:53 PM
  • UPDATE: BSOD/ Freeze during Windows 7x64 Install

Test:
    1. - Memory remap enabled, 2 x 2gig sticks, 2 x 3870x2's = freeze at startup/install language menu.
    2. - Memory remap enabled, 1 x 2gig sticks,  " "               = Installs great
          (after OS install if i put back the other ram stick, it loads/boots very slow, 2-3mins, normally 30sec)

3. - Memory Remap enabled, 2 x 2gig sticks & 2 x 1gig sticks, " " = Install starts up as it should.
    4. - Memory Remap disabled = Any memory configuration works great

In test 2. the only way i can get 4gig's to work properly, is by entering MSconfig and ticking off Memory = 4096mb
    After reboot Window7 states i only have 1663mb usable all though i have 4gigs. LCD smartie also states this.

as soon as i put in 2 more sticks Windows detects all of my memory just fine = 6000mb
     msconfig tweak is not needed when 6gigs are installed (Normal Startup, selected within msconfig).

Ive been reading all over that this is the way "Windows Vista/7 allocates memory with video cards etc".
    This is not true i had no issues of this nature in Vistax64,

If i remove the 2x 1gig sticks, Windows7 instantly goes into a 3min boot time and once booted it is only reporting 1663mb plus i need to do the MSconfig tweak.

this is not a bios fix, my system was fine in Vistax64....
    there is definilty a BUG.

i hope the Win7 MS team recognize this.
    P5WDH Deluxe (2704 Bios), Q6600, 4Gig 1066mhz, 2 3870x2's, Enermax Rev 1050 PSU:
    • Edited by shayking Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:53 AM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:29 AM
  • okay i just installed the SP2 for vista 64bit and now i have the same problem as with windwos7 64 bit. it seems that they have changed something in the processor drivers that make asus p5w impossible to run a 64bit system on a 45nm chip ^^
    now i´m realy pissed off because i don´t want to buy a new motherboard only for this ____ windows...
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Same here.

Vista x64 SP2: BSOD with "multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported" error.

I've been searching through the FAQs in ASUS site, and I found something interesting about the P5W DH.

They say  that the Intel 975X chipset does not fully support the 45nm CPUs. There are several limitations:

- The Virtualization is not operational.
    - The L2 cache is not recognized, although it's in use.
    - Max FSB is capped at 1066

And a few more...

Maybe the problem here is with the VT, as others have said before.

I understand that the 975 chipset is 'too old' to fully support the new 45nm CPUs, but come on... Vista x64 SP1 was running perfectly in my system, without any glitches.

As Brookers said, maybe MS has changed something in the processor drivers that causes this behaviour.

And yes... I'm pissed off, too. Since the only solution I see is to buy another motherboard  :-(
    • Edited by Maiquer Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:10 PM
  • I have a 65nm CPU - Q6600 with this bug
    Its either the CPU or Memory controller bug in the provided Windows7 drivers

And if your saying the new SP2 Vista x64 is now doing the same ...haha
    this proves it.

VT , L2 cache works and is detected fine on my board. And i can get a MAX FSB of 1333 & 1400 on the CPU (1333fsb beeing stable).

P5WDH Deluxe (2704 Bios), Q6600, 4Gig 1066mhz, 2 3870x2's, Enermax Rev 1050 PSU
    • Edited by shayking Friday, June 19, 2009 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Oh my god.... same problem here, Windows 7 64 Bit RC

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    BIOS 2801
    3 GB RAM
    Core 2 Duo E8500

I did not get it working, tried "defaults" and manually setting the cpu params.... nothing works. Read the complete thread in here.... i am really pissed of.

This is RC-Release, so there will be no major fixes to the final version i think.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:57 PM
  • And yes, I got the same issue since 2 hours after accepting the SP2 for Vista x64.
    I should have been warned as I tried to install vista x64 with the beta SP2 some monts ago and had this BSOD.

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    Bios @ 2801 - 4GB - Core2Duo E8500.

I upgraded to this CPU some months ago and installed Vista x64 with SP1 without issues, it runned fine until now. So it looks like they did some work on the drivers in SP2.

It seems a bad move due to the nice feature MS build into this combo...

Can we expect any answer form ASUS or MS? There are so many people with this MB.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:21 PM
  • As far as we know, ASUS has closed support on the P5W since they consider it's an 'old' motherboard. So, there probably won't be any new BIOS.

I don't expect any move from MS either. This 'bug' has been around since the first W7 betas.

And now in Vista x64 SP2, too...

So, either we buy a new motherboard, or install a 32 bit S.O. which is not the best option if you have 4Gb or more RAM.

I don't know if there is any official word from MS about this matter.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:45 PM
  • A clean install of Vista 64 works fine... but Windows 7 x64 I get the same error as listed above.   Looks like they must of left out some drivers between the 2 versions... 1 step forward...2 back.

Motherboard... asus.  P5W DH Deluxe, Bios 2801,  CPU: E8600

Well, probably not!

I tried to install the new Service Pack 2 on Vista x64 Ultimate and got this error as well!
    I hope that someone can point out a solution for it otherwise we will be stuck!

Regards Gunhawk
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:08 PM
  • same happend with windows vista sp2 beta.....
    cant try ver x64 i feel bad cause ms donsent answer if is MS problem or asus problem... (i feel like i wont be able to try the x64 nether the vista sp2)

P5W DH Deluxe ,Intel Q9400 Core2Quad....

i wonder if it will b fixed on RC version cause i did try all the version leaked on the net and same thing still happend....(last tryed Windows 7 Build 7048 x64) 

Well it seems that not even the SP2 Final is working with this board!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:10 PM
  • this is a problem of win7 and the bios...
    vista64 has a way to deal with it but win7 64 not and the same goes for some programs like vmware. these couldn´t find the 64bit function too when installed on a pc with p5w bios2801 and a 45nm processor ^^
    asus said that they stopped the support of this board... all hope is now on a patch for win7 64bit :\

ps. sorry for bad english, i´m german ;)

Well - may be not!

If you apply the new Vista SP2, you will find that the system crashes with a Bluescreen 0x0000003e so even latest Vista Installations will be affected!
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:16 PM
  • As far as we know, ASUS has closed support on the P5W since they consider it's an 'old' motherboard. So, there probably won't be any new BIOS.

I don't expect any move from MS either. This 'bug' has been around since the first W7 betas.

And now in Vista x64 SP2, too...

So, either we buy a new motherboard, or install a 32 bit S.O. which is not the best option if you have 4Gb or more RAM.

I don't know if there is any official word from MS about this matter.

oh ____....
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:18 PM
  • So would moving to an ASUS P5Q be a smart thing to do? Considering I have a RAID0 connfig on the Intel RAID controller, or would that result in a total data loss? Changing systemboards is always tricky, but I hove no experience with a RAID0 config.

"Bugs stimulate new hardware"
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:29 AM
  • If you keep a few things in mind, it should not be a problem to move to the P5Q.
    First thing: Use the same block size. Enter the RAID-Setup after the POST-Screen and take note of the block size .
    Second thing: I'm not a 100% sure whether disk order matters but I strongly assume it, since RAID0 writes to data to both disks in an alternating manner, so take note of the HDD serial numbers .

When you switch boards keep the disk order, when you create the RAID again. Use disk 1 with serial XXX from your current setup as your first disk in the new setup and disk 2 with serial YYY from your current setup as your second disk in the new setup. If you want to make sure you might as well use the same SATA ports for both disks in both setups. When the setup asks if you want to leave the data on the disks answer yes . If it does ask you whether to format the drives answer no , of course. :) I don't remember what the setup actually asks, so just see to it that you keep the data and do not format the drives. Finally, you need to use the same block size in the new setup as in your current setup. That should be it. Your RAID0 should be up and running as before. I did that a couple of years [and mobos ;)] ago and it was no prob, although i forgot to take note of the block size, so, well, trial and error... *g*

As for the Windows installation... well, that's another thing. You might want to read http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows and on that page the part called Hard Disk Support . In short, Windows remembers the HDD controller it was installed on (for whatever silly reason it does that...), so switching from a P5W with ICH7 to a P5Q with ICH10 will propably leave you with an unbootable Windows. Try the tool mentioned there before you migrate to the P5Q. I did that, too, back then, although there wasn't such a tool available and I had to registry tweak/copy a blank registry off the installation CD. If that won't work, doing a Windows repair installation should still be an option.

Thomas
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Could all users affected by multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported please provide the output of "reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\ /s" ?

Thanks!
    John
    Friday, June 05, 2009 11:36 PM
  • Here is mine on a P5W DH Deluxe Bios 2801

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\stu>reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\
    System\CentralProcessor\ /s

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\\0
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000000000001000000

Identifier  REG_SZ  x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
        Configuration Data  REG_NONE        FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000000000000
        ProcessorNameString REG_SZ  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.00GHz
        VendorIdentifier    REG_SZ  GenuineIntel
        FeatureSet  REG_DWORD       0xa0033fff
        ~MHz        REG_DWORD       0xbb9
        Update Signature    REG_BINARY      00000000070A0000
        Update Status       REG_DWORD       0x2
        Previous Update Signature   REG_BINARY      00000000070A0000
        Platform ID REG_DWORD       0x10

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\\1
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000100000002000000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\\2
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000200000004000000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\\3
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000300000008000000

Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:05 AM
  • Hello, here's mine:

(Windows Vista x64 SP1
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2801, Intel Q9650)

Microsoft Windows [Versión 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  Reservados todos los derechos.

C:\>reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\ /
    s

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0
        Component Information    REG_BINARY    00000000000000000000000001000000
        Identifier    REG_SZ    Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
        Configuration Data    REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF000000
        ProcessorNameString    REG_SZ    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.0
    0GHz
        VendorIdentifier    REG_SZ    GenuineIntel
        FeatureSet    REG_DWORD    0x20593ffe
        ~MHz    REG_DWORD    0xbb9
        Update Signature    REG_BINARY    00000000070A0000
        Update Status    REG_DWORD    0x2
        Previous Update Signature    REG_BINARY    00000000070A0000
        Platform ID    REG_DWORD    0x10

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\1
        Component Information    REG_BINARY    00000000000000000100000002000000
    0GHz

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\2
        Component Information    REG_BINARY    00000000000000000200000004000000
    0GHz

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\3
        Component Information    REG_BINARY    00000000000000000300000008000000
    0GHz

C:\>

Regards.

Saturday, June 06, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Here's mine:

ABIT IX48 GT3 motherboard with Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 cpu

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\description\system\centralprocessor\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\description\system\centralprocessor\\0
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000000000001000000
        ProcessorNameString REG_SZ
        ~MHz        REG_DWORD       0xbf8
        Update Signature    REG_BINARY      0000000000000000
        Previous Update Signature   REG_BINARY      0000000000000000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\description\system\centralprocessor\\1
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000100000002000000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\description\system\centralprocessor\\2
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000200000004000000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\hardware\description\system\centralprocessor\\3
        Component Information       REG_BINARY      00000000000000000300000008000000

Saturday, June 06, 2009 8:54 PM
  • And here is mine on
    Asus P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2801, Intel E7400

Component Information REG_BINARY 00000000000000000000000000000000

Identifier REG_SZ x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10

Configuration Data REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000000000000

ProcessorNameString REG_SZ Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz

VendorIdentifier REG_SZ GenuineIntel

FeatureSet REG_DWORD 0x80ef3fff

~MHz REG_DWORD 0xc92

Update Signature REG_BINARY 00000000070A0000

Update Status REG_DWORD 0x2

Previous Update Signature REG_BINARY 00000000070A0000

Platform ID REG_DWORD 0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\1

Component Information REG_BINARY 00000000000000000100000000000100

Identifier REG_SZ x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10

Configuration Data REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000000000000

ProcessorNameString REG_SZ Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz

VendorIdentifier REG_SZ GenuineIntel

FeatureSet REG_DWORD 0x80af3fff

~MHz REG_DWORD 0xc92

Update Signature REG_BINARY 00000000070A0000

Update Status REG_DWORD 0x2

Previous Update Signature REG_BINARY 00000000070A0000

Platform ID REG_DWORD 0x1

Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Unca - Thanks! This information confirms what we're thinking is going on here but with a surprising twist :)  Was this registry dump taken from Windows Vista SP1/SP2 or Win7 on x86 or x64?  I'm thinking it was X86.

Right now, you can notice that the FeatureSet fields differ by one bit 0x80ef3fff (Core0) - 0x80af3fff (Core1) = 0x00400000.  Trying installing older versions of the BIOS until these two values are equal.  Then you should be able to install Win7 and/or Vista SP2 x64.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks!
    John
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 4:11 PM
  • All- If you have it, the actual values of BSOD would be very helpful. e.g. 0x0000003e [value1] [value2] 0 0 in this scenario.
    Maiquer - Can you run the CPU-Z instructions below as well?  Something's not adding up quite right.

OldDoc/ChiefZeke- I'm guessing these were taken from XP.  It turns out XP doesn't expose the pertinent information to the registry.  Could you run CPU-Z, take a register dump from the 'About' tab and copy in the following section for EACH core (or thread if you have a hyperthreading proc)?

Thanks all - this information is very helpful!
    John

Function  eax  ebx  ecx  edx
    0x00000000  0x0000000A 0x756E6547 0x6C65746E 0x49656E69
    0x00000001  0x000006F6 0x00020800 0x0000E39D 0xBFEBFBFF
    0x00000002  0x05B0B101 0x005657F0 0x00000000 0x2CB4307D
    0x00000003  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x00000004  0x04000121 0x01C0003F 0x0000003F 0x00000001
    0x00000004  0x04000122 0x01C0003F 0x0000003F 0x00000001
    0x00000004  0x04004143 0x01C0003F 0x00000FFF 0x00000001
    0x00000005  0x00000040 0x00000040 0x00000003 0x00022220
    0x00000006  0x00000001 0x00000002 0x00000001 0x00000000
    0x00000007  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

Sunday, June 07, 2009 4:45 PM
  • The BSOD flashes then reboots when I run win Win7 RC 64bit install disk. Anyway to capture the value?

CPU-Z 1.5 register dump from P5WDH with bios 2801 and core2 quad 9650 Win XP 32bit:

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID            0
    Topology        Processor ID 0, Core ID 0, Thread ID 0
    Type            01008005h
    Max CPUID level        0000000Dh
    Max CPUID ext. level    80000008h

Function        eax        ebx        ecx        edx
    0x00000000        0x0000000D    0x756E6547    0x6C65746E    0x49656E69
    0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x00040800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF
    0x00000002        0x05B0B101    0x005657F0    0x00000000    0x2CB4304E
    0x00000003        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x00000004        0x0C000121    0x01C0003F    0x0000003F    0x00000001
    0x00000004        0x0C000122    0x01C0003F    0x0000003F    0x00000001
    0x00000004        0x0C004143    0x05C0003F    0x00000FFF    0x00000001
    0x00000005        0x00000040    0x00000040    0x00000003    0x00022220
    0x00000006        0x00000001    0x00000002    0x00000003    0x00000000
    0x00000007        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x00000008        0x00000400    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x00000009        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x0000000A        0x07280202    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000503
    0x0000000C        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x0000000D        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x80000000        0x80000008    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x80000001        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000001    0x20100000
    0x80000002        0x65746E49    0x2952286C    0x726F4320    0x4D542865
    0x80000003        0x51203229    0x20646175    0x20555043    0x51202020
    0x80000004        0x30353639    0x20402020    0x30302E33    0x007A4847
    0x80000005        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x80000006        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x18008040    0x00000000
    0x80000007        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000
    0x80000008        0x00003024    0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000000

Cache descriptor    Level 1 D    32 KB    1 thread(s)   
    Cache descriptor    Level 1 I    32 KB    1 thread(s)   
    Cache descriptor    Level 2 U    6 MB    2 thread(s)   

MSR 0x0000001B        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0xFEE00900
    MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x0000095F    eax = 0xAEB4658F
    MSR 0x00000017        edx = 0x08100000    eax = 0x88C48922
    MSR 0x000000CD        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x80000A04
    MSR 0x0000003F        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x00000000
    MSR 0x000000CE        edx = 0x00160922    eax = 0x46460712
    MSR 0x000001A0        edx = 0x00000040    eax = 0x60952489
    MSR 0x000000EE        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x86791B00
    MSR 0x0000011E        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0xBE782111
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x88320000
    MSR 0x00000198        edx = 0x06160922    eax = 0x06000922
    MSR 0x00000199        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x00000922

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID            1
    Topology        Processor ID 0, Core ID 1, Thread ID 0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x01040800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x0000001B        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0xFEE00800
    MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x00000368    eax = 0xA8C9ED13
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x88380000

CPU Thread 2
    APIC ID            2
    Topology        Processor ID 0, Core ID 2, Thread ID 0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x02040800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x00000407    eax = 0xE2053421
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x883A0000

CPU Thread 3
    APIC ID            3
    Topology        Processor ID 0, Core ID 3, Thread ID 0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x03040800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 5:24 PM
  • John: These are the actual values of BSOD when I try to install W7 x64 RC:

STOP: 0x0000003E (0x00000000214B3FFE, 0x00000000215B3FFE, 0, 0)

And my CPU-Z dump, for each core (under Vista x64 SP1):

Thread dumps
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID   0
    Topology  Processor ID 0, Core ID 0, Thread ID 0
    Type   01008005h
    Max CPUID level  0000000Dh
    Max CPUID ext. level 80000008h

0x00000000  0x0000000D 0x756E6547 0x6C65746E 0x49656E69
    0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x00040800 0x0408E3FD 0xBFEBFBFF
    0x00000002  0x05B0B101 0x005657F0 0x00000000 0x2CB4304E
    0x00000004  0x0C000121 0x01C0003F 0x0000003F 0x00000001
    0x00000004  0x0C000122 0x01C0003F 0x0000003F 0x00000001
    0x00000004  0x0C004143 0x05C0003F 0x00000FFF 0x00000001
    0x00000006  0x00000001 0x00000002 0x00000003 0x00000000
    0x00000008  0x00000400 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x00000009  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x0000000A  0x07280202 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000503
    0x0000000C  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x0000000D  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x80000000  0x80000008 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x80000001  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000001 0x20100000
    0x80000002  0x65746E49 0x2952286C 0x726F4320 0x4D542865
    0x80000003  0x51203229 0x20646175 0x20555043 0x51202020
    0x80000004  0x30353639 0x20402020 0x30302E33 0x007A4847
    0x80000005  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x80000006  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x18008040 0x00000000
    0x80000007  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x80000008  0x00003024 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID   1
    Topology  Processor ID 0, Core ID 1, Thread ID 0
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x01040800 0x00000301 0xBFEBFBFF

CPU Thread 2
    APIC ID   2
    Topology  Processor ID 0, Core ID 2, Thread ID 0
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x02040800 0x00000301 0xBFEBFBFF

CPU Thread 3
    APIC ID   3
    Topology  Processor ID 0, Core ID 3, Thread ID 0
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x03040800 0x00000301 0xBFEBFBFF

Full dumps here:

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/CPUZ/dump.txt  (full dump)

http://www.cruzdesanandres.com/CPUZ/cpuz.htm (report file)

Best regards,
    Maiquer

Sunday, June 07, 2009 5:27 PM

• Thank you! John,

And yes, you are right. It was taken from Win7 RC1 x86

Do i anderstand that there is a BSOD because the BIOS reports 2 different types of cores/processors/feature sets?

That would mean that it is a BIOS error that could easily be solved by ASUS ??????? :)

BTW, using older BIOS-es gives other problems, as mentioned in earlier posts by xpedicion on 7 may
    and i experienced the same problems.

So going to a lower BIOS is not an option.

Regards
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Olddoc- Thanks for this information - I'm not sure what to make of it yet - it all looks correct...Also, I think there is a registry key to disable reboot on BSOD, but you'd have to use an offline registry editor to do so. Unless you have a kernel debugger setup handy, don't worry about.
    Maiquer - This data pretty much confirms what we were thinking. If you notice, ECX of CPUID(1) is different on Core 0 than the other cores (only Core 0 is correct). 
    Unca- Yes. the result of the CPUID instruction does show the different feature sets on the cores on the same processor.  There's still too many variables to signify who is to blame.  That said, we are working with Asus to see what we can do for you folks and other people in this scenario.

Thanks,
    John
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info, John.

It's good to know that MS and ASUS are looking into this issue.
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:41 PM
  • i guess u rite ecx of CPUID(1) is different on Core 0 with me too.

Thread dumps
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID            0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x00040800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF
    0x00000002        0x05B0B101    0x005657F0    0x00000000    0x2CB43048
    0x00000004        0x0C004143    0x02C0003F    0x00000FFF    0x00000001
    0x80000001        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x00000001    0x20000000
    0x80000004        0x30303439    0x20402020    0x36362E32    0x007A4847
    0x80000006        0x00000000    0x00000000    0x0C006040    0x00000000

Cache descriptor    Level 2 U    3 MB    2 thread(s)   

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x0000146B    eax = 0x062CB32C
    MSR 0x00000017        edx = 0x08100000    eax = 0xA9C4881F
    MSR 0x000000CE        edx = 0x0016081F    eax = 0x46460710
    MSR 0x000001A0        edx = 0x00000044    eax = 0x68952489
    MSR 0x0000011E        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0xBE702119
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x881D0022
    MSR 0x00000198        edx = 0x0616081F    eax = 0x0600081F
    MSR 0x00000199        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x0000DF3F

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID            1

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x01040800    0x00000301    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x00000E22    eax = 0xB4F0C41C
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x88250000
    MSR 0x0000002A        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x42080000

CPU Thread 2
    APIC ID            2
    Topology        Processor ID 0, Core ID 2, Thread ID 0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x02040800    0x00000301    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x000009A2    eax = 0xF15AAAC0
    MSR 0x000001A0        edx = 0x00000044    eax = 0x68842489
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x88220022
    MSR 0x0000002A        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x41980000

CPU Thread 3
    APIC ID            3
    Topology        Processor ID 0, Core ID 3, Thread ID 0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x03040800    0x00000301    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x00000872    eax = 0x215DED3A
    MSR 0x000001A0        edx = 0x00000044    eax = 0x68842489
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x88220022
    MSR 0x0000002A        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x41980000

i hope my dump helps to make it even more clear.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Bringing over Legma and Dimaggio's info from http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/thread/5c2f8f77-e014-4ced-9b47-320b77a19f8b/?prof=required:

Legma:

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Number of cores        2 (max 2)
    Number of threads    2 (max 2)
    Name            Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
    Codename        Wolfdale
    Specification        Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz
    Package            Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 0h)
    CPUID            6.7.A
    Extended CPUID        6.17
    Core Stepping        R0
    Technology        45 nm
    Core Speed        2804.7 MHz (10.5 x 267.1 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed        1068.5 MHz
    Stock frequency        2800 MHz
    Instructions sets    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
    L1 Data cache        2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache    2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache        3072 KBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control        yes
    FID range        6.0x - 10.5x
    max VID            1.213 V
    Features       

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID            0
    Type            01008001h

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x00020800    0x0408E39D    0xBFEBFBFF

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID            1

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x01020800    0x00000309    0xBFEBFBFF

DiMaggio:
        Component Information    REG_BINARY    00000000000000000000000001000000
        Configuration Data    REG_FULL_RESOURCE_DESCRIPTOR    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000000000000
        ProcessorNameString    REG_SZ    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9550  @ 2.83GHz
        FeatureSet    REG_DWORD    0x593ffe
    Monday, June 08, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Frogmancomethagain-
    Can you confirm you saw a 'multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported' BSOD on your Dell?  Did you add any processors yourself?  Either way, can you kindly provide a 'register dump' by installing CPU-Z, going to the 'About' tab and selecting 'register dump'?

Thanks,
    John
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Here's the dump:
    -------------------------
      CPU-Z version 1.51

Processors Map

Number of processors 1
    Number of threads 4

Processor 0
        -- Core 0
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 3
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 1
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 2
            -- Thread 0

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Number of cores  4 (max 4)
    Number of threads 4 (max 4)
    Name   Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
    Codename  Yorkfield
    Specification  
    Package   Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
    CPUID   6.7.A
    Extended CPUID  6.17
    Core Stepping  E0
    Technology  45 nm
    Core Speed  2042.9 MHz (6.0 x 340.5 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed  1361.9 MHz
    Stock frequency  3000 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
    L1 Data cache  4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache  2 x 6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control  no
    Features  XD

Thread dumps

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID   0
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x00040800 0x00000301 0xBFEBFBFF
    0x80000002  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
    0x80000003  0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x51000000

Cache descriptor Level 1 D 32 KB 1 thread(s) 
    Cache descriptor Level 1 I 32 KB 1 thread(s) 
    Cache descriptor Level 2 U 6 MB 2 thread(s) 

MSR 0x0000001B  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0xFEE00900
    MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x000000F1 eax = 0x35D2EFFD
    MSR 0x00000017  edx = 0x08100000 eax = 0x88C4891D
    MSR 0x000000CD  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x80000A04
    MSR 0x0000003F  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x00000000
    MSR 0x000000CE  edx = 0x0012091D eax = 0x4646070E
    MSR 0x000001A0  edx = 0x00000040 eax = 0x62872489
    MSR 0x000000EE  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x86791B00
    MSR 0x0000011E  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0xBE782111
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x88380000
    MSR 0x0000002A  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x41880800

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID   3
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x03040800 0x0408E3FD 0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x0000001B  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0xFEE00800
    MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x00000115 eax = 0x59C5A630
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x88370000
    MSR 0x00000198  edx = 0x0612091D eax = 0x0600091D
    MSR 0x00000199  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x0000091D

CPU Thread 2
    APIC ID   1
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x01040800 0x0408E3FD 0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x000000FB eax = 0xFF74EF66
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x88380000

CPU Thread 3
    APIC ID   2
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x02040800 0x0408E3FD 0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x000000EC eax = 0xE4F9761B
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x883D0000

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:40 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the support ! Here's my CPU-Z dump...
    - Motherboard : Asus Pw5 dh de luxe
    - Processor : Intel E8600

Regards,

Hans

Number of processors    1
    Number of threads    2

Processor 0
        -- Core 0
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 1
            -- Thread 0

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Name            Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
    Codename        Wolfdale
    Specification        Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8600  @ 3.33GHz
    CPUID            6.7.A
    Core Stepping        E0
    Technology        45 nm
    Core Speed        3334.6 MHz (10.0 x 333.5 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed        1333.9 MHz
    Stock frequency        3333 MHz
    L2 cache        6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID range        6.0x - 10.0x
    max VID            1.250 V
    Features        , VT

Thread dumps

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID            0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x00020800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF
    0x00000004        0x04000121    0x01C0003F    0x0000003F    0x00000001
    0x00000004        0x04000122    0x01C0003F    0x0000003F    0x00000001
    0x00000004        0x04004143    0x05C0003F    0x00000FFF    0x00000001
    0x80000003        0x44203229    0x43206F75    0x20205550    0x45202020
    0x80000004        0x30303638    0x20402020    0x33332E33    0x007A4847

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x0000008E    eax = 0x09103D76
    MSR 0x00000017        edx = 0x04000000    eax = 0x88848A22
    MSR 0x000000CD        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x80000804
    MSR 0x000000CE        edx = 0x00160A22    eax = 0x46460714
    MSR 0x000000EE        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x86791300
    MSR 0x0000011E        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0xBE702111
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x88410000
    MSR 0x00000198        edx = 0x06160A22    eax = 0x06000A22

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID            1

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x01020800    0x00000309    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x0000004B    eax = 0x20AF5055
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x883E0000
    MSR 0x0000002A        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x42880000

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Olddoc-

We're curious as to what is causing your system to BSOD.  There's an F8 option to disable reboot on BSOD.  See if you can capture the values :)

Thanks!
    John
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Having same problems upgrading to SP2 for Vista x64 Home Premium.  Previous install of SP2 32 bit worked fine, as does SP1 on x64 (although that bootmgr missing error was a pain)

CPU-Z Dump:

CPU-Z version 1.51

Processors Map

Number of processors 1
    Number of threads 4

Processor 0
        -- Core 0
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 1
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 2
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 3
            -- Thread 0

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Number of cores  4 (max 4)
    Number of threads 4 (max 4)
    Name   Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
    Codename  Yorkfield
    Specification  
    Package   Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 4h)
    CPUID   6.7.A
    Extended CPUID  6.17
    Core Stepping  E0
    Technology  45 nm
    Core Speed  3006.0 MHz (9.0 x 334.0 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed  1336.0 MHz
    Stock frequency  3000 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
    L1 Data cache  4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache  2 x 6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control  no
    Features  XD

Thread dumps

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID   0
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x00040800 0x00000301 0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x0000001B  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0xFEE00900
    MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x0000002E eax = 0xADDBD846
    MSR 0x00000017  edx = 0x08100000 eax = 0x88C4891C
    MSR 0x000000CE  edx = 0x0012091C eax = 0x4646070E
    MSR 0x000001A0  edx = 0x00000040 eax = 0x6A872489
    MSR 0x0000011E  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0xBE702111
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x883B0000
    MSR 0x0000002A  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x42480000

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID   1
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x01040800 0x0408E3FD 0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x0000001C eax = 0x74BBE7FE
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x88400000
    MSR 0x00000198  edx = 0x0612091C eax = 0x06000912
    MSR 0x00000199  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x00000912

CPU Thread 2
    APIC ID   2
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x02040800 0x0408E3FD 0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x0000001A eax = 0x6BF0F4D0
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x883D0000
    MSR 0x00000198  edx = 0x0612091C eax = 0x06000612
    MSR 0x00000199  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x00000612

CPU Thread 3
    APIC ID   3
    Type   01008005h

0x00000001  0x0001067A 0x03040800 0x0408E3FD 0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8  edx = 0x00000021 eax = 0x4B5E27C8
    MSR 0x0000019C  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x883C0000
    MSR 0x00000198  edx = 0x0612091C eax = 0x06000612
    MSR 0x00000199  edx = 0x00000000 eax = 0x00000612

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Remember, I had the 1st public beta installed and running when I had a 65nm core2 duo. Problems began with the 45nm core2 quad 9650.
    If I boot the installed 1st public beta, I get this BSOD error:
    MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED
    0x0000003E (0x00000000204B3FFE, 0x00000000A0DB3FFE, 0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)
    When I boot from the RC 7100 build I get this BSOD slightly different:
    0x0000003E (0x00000000214B3FFE, 0x00000000215B3FFE, 0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)

Thanks for the tip about the f8 disable auto reboot.
    I also tried to start in safe mode from the RC install disk and I get the bsod just after I see disk.sys loaded.

What does this all mean?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Figured I'd try something. I have a copy of Windows XP Pro x64 Edition - Trial Software 180-day limit software.

I stuck it in the CD/DVD drive and rebooted from XP Pro. The x64 CD was detected and then I hit enter to boot from the CD; the boot process was successful and I then stopped it at the first screen asking me to continue the install or exit - I exited.

So, is there some kind of major difference between XP Pro x64 and Win7 RC 64-bit that is stopping Win7 from successfully booting my system? (see above for that info)

To me, if the older one is/was successful so should the newer one.

Also, if I would let XP x64 continue its install routine and thereby have a dual-boot capability of the two XP Pro's would that make a difference if I then tried to install Win7 RC 64-bit from within XP Pro x64 and/or boot from the Win7 RC 64-bit DVD try to install it again? Just wondering now.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Olddoc - Thanks for the bugcheck values.  These make sense with what we have seen so far.
    ChiefZeke - Yes, xp64 will work on these systems and I personally agree with your sentiments.

It's fairly likely that we'll be publishing a KB on the issue.  We have the root cause identified and we're pursuing a couple different options for resolving this. For now, I'd informally recommend staying on SP1 until this is resolved.  You can use F10 during boot and append "/NUMPROCS=1" if you need to boot into SP2 in order to uninstall it and get back to SP1.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:57 PM
  • I could not resist the temptation and I decided to install Windows XP Pro x64 in a dual boot with my existing XP Pro with SP3. The boot from the CD and the install went just fine, as did the upgrade of XP Pro x64 to SP2. Later I downloaded and installed about 60 hotfixes/patches/etc to continue with the upgrading of x64.

So, that really does raise a question; why could I boot from the CD and install x64 just fine but I could not boot from the Win7 RC 64-bit CD? The x64 install routine had no difficulties with my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 cpu but Win7 64 gave me a BSOD about multipleprocessor_configuration.

Something here does not compute. (Pun intended.)

I have 13 days to activate x64 and I would rather just remove it than activate. (After all, it is only a 180-day test version.)

Therefore, is there some kind of information I can gather from the x64 install and add to this posting that might help those trying to solve the boot problem? Please advise.

Monday, June 15, 2009 2:43 AM
  • It's fairly likely that we'll be publishing a KB on the issue.  We have the root cause identified and we're pursuing a couple different options for resolving this. For now, I'd informally recommend staying on SP1 until this is resolved.  You can use F10 during boot and append "/NUMPROC=1" if you need to boot into SP2 in order to uninstall it and get back to SP1.

Monday, June 15, 2009 4:12 PM
  • It's fairly likely that we'll be publishing a KB on the issue.  We have the root cause identified and we're pursuing a couple different options for resolving this. For now, I'd informally recommend staying on SP1 until this is resolved.  You can use F10 during boot and append "/NUMPROC=1" if you need to boot into SP2 in order to uninstall it and get back to SP1.

John E:
    Would you say it is very likely that 64bit Windows 7 will work with 45nm quad core chips on the Asus P5W DH Deluxe?
    How about Vista 64? I am still using my original install of 32 bit XP!

Monday, June 15, 2009 4:24 PM
  • [update 11/18/2010] The beta is over. There is a Vista workaround KB available and you should get it automatically via WU.  There is and there will be no Win7 / Server 2008 R2 workaround KB.

madpig,TheKingArthur, olddoc, ChiefZeke, glmclell,sparticus1701, legba, NikonTro and many others-

Thank you for you your cooperation in this effort so far.  We've reached a point where we'd like to distribute a very limited "beta" of fix to workaround both the Intel errata scenario (generally a single package) and the slightly mismatched processors scenario (always multi-package).  This is a good faith, temporary test package to make sure that what we think will fix this scenario, in fact will.  Please e-mail me if you are interested in taking it for a spin.

John

[email removed as beta is over]

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:27 PM
  • John,

Before I take a spin in your "beta" fix I would like to add the following to my comments about testing incase it ahs an impact on the "beta":

15 June - result of latest attempt

My #1 system is 64-bit capable but, so far, I've been unable to get Win7 RC 64-bit to install - got a BSOD about multipleprocessor_configuration and that was it. (See postings above.)

As I had a copy of Windows XP Pro x64 180-day tial version I decided to try it (see above) - it installed just fine and I updated it to SP2 plus all Microsoft listed updates as of yesterday.

Then I decided to try and see if Win7 RC 32-bit would install on system #1 and it did just that. Who would have guessed that would happen?

So now on system #1 I have a triple-boot configuration: Win7 RC 32-bit, XP Pro w/SP3 updated, and XP Pro x64 w/SP2 updated. Now I'll finally be able to check out Win7 on the better of my two systems.

I have no idea as to why Win7 RC 32-bit was able to install from within XP Pro x64 as opposed to Win XP pro x86 but that's for others to determine.

Next test option is to see if Win7 64-bit will install from within XP Pro x64 (later today or tomorrow - time allowing).  So, given this info what, if any, would be the differences if I wait for the "beta"?

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Any word on whether the beta fix works?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:23 PM
  • 18 June - results of todays attempt - while waiting for info on the 'beta' fix.

Booted into XP Pro x64 w/SP2 and selected Setup from the Win7 RC 64-bit CD. At initial window opted to add drivers, as above, for monitor, LAN, Intel Inf, etc and then continued. Selected Custom install > selected partition for Win7 64-bit > installation routine started > Copying Windows Files completed (green check mark) > Expanding Windows Files (20%) > reboot > Windows setup was highlighted > then got BSOD: MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED. Hard reboot - tried again, same BSOD. Hard reboot > F8 > Safe Mode > Same BSOD.

So, I can only hope this 'beta' fix mentioned above will work.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:44 PM
  • it sees the best way to do "Beta Test" is to :

1. Slipstream this into windows install disc.(vlite if possible)

2. Install this update with my 4 sticks of ram, then remove the 2x1gig sticks and Boot.
        and see if the slow performance takes place.(3min boot time/lockup at install)

3. or as instructions state,do the, F10 @ boot mode and enable only 1 proc...

As for myself i will be trying #'s 2. and 3. this evening and report back.

hopefully the "Processor errors" are tide into "4gig/2stick bug" and this "Beta test" fixes both issues.

to be continued
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Looks like XP users can't test things. When I asked for clarifiction on running the 'beta' fix the first part of the answer I got is: This beta fix is currently only for Vista SP2 x64.  The beta fix won’t work for Win7.

• Proposed as answer by ional Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:36 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 7:27 PM
  • I bring some good news to my fellow ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe mobo board user =D

Somewhere...some how, some one from ASUS heard our plight...and ASUS will finally deliver us from the evil that is this bug for Vista SP2 i hope..

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090624154017625&board_id=1&model=P5W+DH+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us 

Hope this helps =)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:39 PM
  • That is good new for Asus users, but how about other 975 based users? I know of a few Gigabyte users with BSOD problems too.

Vote if helpful, I am running for Office (joke), also mark questions answered. IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Whatever I need a new web server, the antique IBM 300GL has a 137GB disk limit, for my chess site. My server's disk finally croaked, I am out of work, I need to get a new server as the old IBM is past its prime.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:42 PM
  • Ional- Great news :) Once I explained the issue to Asus, they were very eager to resolve it.  If anybody with the P5W could update the BIOS and take a new dump with CPU-Z, I'd be interested in looking at it.

Vegan Fanatic- I'd noticed you mentioned the Gigabyte users before.  Do you know what motherboard/proc it was specifically and that it was this multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported BSOD specifically?

Thanks,
    John

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:03 PM
  • I am previously a lurker, but wanted to say...

Thanks everyone, due to a RMA, I have recently received a P5WDH Deluxe, and thanks to this thread, my main problem is now resolved. The motherboard is coming in a few days, I will test it with a Q9550, and see if I get the same error when trying to install Windows 7 RC1. Worse comes to worse I at least have Vista 64 SP2 to fall back on.

Thanks alot John E for sticking it out with us. I am sure there's alot of users with this problem, I also posted and credited this forum in XtremeSystem's P5WDH Deluxe FAQ. Now patiently await June 26th, and when mobo gets here. Regardless this is great news, because it means theres progress, and they are looking at it.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Hi John,

I just updated my bios to the 2901 version. Please find below my CPU-Z dump :
    Vista Ultimate, 64b, SP1
    P5W DH De Luxe

Regards,

Hans
      CPU-Z version 1.51

Processors Map

Number of processors    1
    Number of threads    2

Processor 0
        -- Core 0
            -- Thread 0
        -- Core 1
            -- Thread 0

Processors Information

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Name            Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
    Codename        Wolfdale
    Specification        Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8600  @ 3.33GHz
    CPUID            6.7.A
    Core Stepping        E0
    Technology        45 nm
    Core Speed        3334.7 MHz (10.0 x 333.5 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed        1333.9 MHz
    Stock frequency        3333 MHz
    L2 cache        6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID range        6.0x - 10.0x
    max VID            1.250 V
    Features        , VT

Thread dumps

CPU Thread 0
    APIC ID            0

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x00020800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x00000028    eax = 0x9DAB76DD
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x883B0000

CPU Thread 1
    APIC ID            1

0x00000001        0x0001067A    0x01020800    0x0408E3FD    0xBFEBFBFF

MSR 0x000000E8        edx = 0x0000000E    eax = 0x784B4475
    MSR 0x0000019C        edx = 0x00000000    eax = 0x883B0000

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I can't speak for the other guys in here, but I have an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. It is a SINGLE processor motherboard, and yet I get the Multiple Configuration Not Supported  error when running Setup for Windows 7 RC. So I can't even install it.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:59 AM
  • After reading the other Posts in here... I have come to believe that this is an..... ASUS ISSUE !!!
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:01 AM
  • No it's not - I have an ABIT IX48 GT3 motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 cpu and the BSOD is the same.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:45 AM
  • I can confirm that ASUS P5WDH Deluxe Bios 2901 fixes the issue:
    I am now able to run the setup from Win 7 RC 64 bit without a BSOD.
    I have not installed the RC so I can't get anyone a CPUZ dump, but I never got to the setup screen before.

YAY :-)
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:21 PM
  • olddoc-

Congratulations! I'd also like to reiterate my gratitude to all those on the forum that help report, identify and resolve this issue* :)

-John E

*I haven't forgetten those of you on Abit boards. There are other circumstances in this case: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9878/universal_abit_lays_off_more_staff/index.html  That said, shoot me a mail (my address is in this thread) if you want to try the Vista SP2 x64 test patch.
    • Proposed as answer by Brookers Friday, June 26, 2009 8:51 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:33 PM
  • John,

I asked for and got the patch but your message with the patch said it was for those running Vista not XP - has something changed?
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:28 PM
  • I can see the 2901 in the BIOS history, but I don't see it available for download anywhere on the ASUS website.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Dude2062

You can get it here:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5W%20DH%20Deluxe/P5W-DH-Deluxe-2901.zip

And I can confirm:
    BIOS 2901 solves the problem.
    No more: MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED

I am now typing this message on my system:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2901, Intel E7400

Windows 7 RC1 64bit

Thanks all!

• Proposed as answer by Brookers Friday, June 26, 2009 8:54 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:40 PM
  • when they ask for the OS at the asus support site you have to choose "other" and not "vista 64"
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Dude2062

You can get it here:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5W%20DH%20Deluxe/P5W-DH-Deluxe-2901.zip

And I can confirm:
    BIOS 2901 solves the problem.
    No more: MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED

I am now typing this message on my system:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe BIOS 2901, Intel E7400

Windows 7 RC1 64bit

Thanks all!

Well, this fix it for the asus bios maybe, but what about my OLDER IWILL DNS_SATA with dual xeon 604???
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:56 PM
  • If anyone is still following this thread... I wonder if Asus got it all fixed with 2901 bios.
    I had been running a VMware 1.09 Virtual machine of Win 7 32 bit, under my Win XP host install.
    Now with the 2901 bios, I can not start the win 7 VM. I have the same problem with Ubuntu Linux -- kernel 2.6.27 will run but 2.6.28 will not start under VMware.
    I have Vanderpool enabled in Bios. I even turned it off, turned off power, rebooted and turned on Vanderpool and turned off power and rebooted.
    Vanderpool virtualization is running according to bios 2901.
    My Win 7 keeps getting a BSOD:
    0x0-----7f (0x0---d, 0x0000-0, 0x0000--0, 0x0---0)
    I also can't start it if I F-10 and specify NUMPROCS=1.
    Interestingly I can run a VM of Win7 under Sun Virtualbox 2.2, but Vbox only supports 1 proc in the virtual machine.

?????
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:07 PM
  • 04 July - new attempt

Figured I'd try a different approach. At system boot went into BIOS and opted to disable the floppy controller and the Onboard PCI Device > Storage Controller. (This item enables/disables the PATA and eSATA devices.) No hardware items were required and/or connected to these controllers so I assumed/hoped turning them off might allow me to install Win7 64-bit.

Booted into XP Pro x64 w/SP2 and started the Win7 setup from there. Selected to install same drivers as I had mentioned earlier and process continued. At first reboot got a BSOD about multipleprocessor_configuration but this time I hard rebooted and when the boot menu appeared with the highlight on Windows Setup I pushed F10 and typed NUMPROCESS=1 on the line, Enter, the install routine continued. At each of the next two reboots I had to do the same thing: F10 and NUMPROCESS=1 but Win7 64-bit did finally install.

With Win7 64-bit finally installed and ready for use I rebooted. Boot menu option had been edited using BCDEdit to show Earlier Operating System, Win 7 32-bit, and Win7 64-bit. When Win7 64-bit was selected a BSOD flashed by (probably MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION again) and I hit F10 which gave a DOS type screen with the cursor at the end of: /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN - I added NUMPROCESS=1 and hit Enter, Win7 64-bit started. So, it looks like I'll have to add NUMPROCESS=1 each time I start 64-bit. This problem had better be fixed in the final version.

I did look at BCDEdit but I could not figure out how to add the NUMPROCESS=1 so the boot of Win7 64-bit would not be a problem.

Rebooted into BIOS and enabled floppy and PATA/eSATA controller, saved, and booted into Win7 64-bit - still had to F10 and add NUMPROCESS=1 to avoid BSOD.

Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:40 PM
  • If anyone is still following this thread... I wonder if Asus got it all fixed with 2901 bios.

still here.. good news is the asus 2901 upgrade has fixed my problem. I now can install windows 7 64 bit successfully.  I tested on both RC 7000 and RC 7100 and both installed without a hitch.  So all asus P5W DH deluxe users... give it a try.  I have a e8600 with 8 gig of ram.  good luck
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:53 AM
  • I can confirm that ASUS P5WDH Deluxe Bios 2901 fixes the issue:
    I am now able to run the setup from Win 7 RC 64 bit without a BSOD.
    I have not installed the RC so I can't get anyone a CPUZ dump, but I never got to the setup screen before.

YAY :-)

I presume this is with your Q9650?

Has Win 7 RC 64 been running well on this setup since this post?

I have a p5w dh with bios 2801 and an E6600 and am interested in trying a quad chip like the Q9550 or Q8400 on it and just learned of this issue.

thanks,

--Don
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:25 PM

• I presume this is with your Q9650?

Has Win 7 RC 64 been running well on this setup since this post?

I have a p5w dh with bios 2801 and an E6600 and am interested in trying a quad chip like the Q9550 or Q8400 on it and just learned of this issue.

thanks,

--Don
    My P5WDH Deluxe Bios 2901 is running a Q9650 and will run the 7100RC build of Win 7 64 bit.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 12:47 AM
  • We have a rudimentary KB up for this now: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973879/en-us

Thanks,
    John

Friday, July 31, 2009 5:16 PM
  • That KB article pertains to Vista SP2 and Server - makes no mention of XP Pro or XP Pro x64. I did solve the problem by hitting F10 and adding NUMPROCESS=1 at during boot - 64-bit then installed with no BSOD.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Problem still excists here!

- With two sticks of 2048mb DDR2 (4gb) Windows 7 boot times are 5-6mins.
    - If i disable Memory remap, W7 boots within 30 secs.

- If i add 2 additional sticks of ram with the same exicisting sticks (6-8gb total), the system will boot normally within 30 secs.
      (with Memory Remap enabled)

although I do not get the BSOD on install, I cannot get past the Welcome)install screen, with 2 sticks/4gb memory.

P5WDH = Bios 2901
    Mem = 2x2048mb Gskill
    Additinal Mem = Kingston 2x1024mb & 2x2048 Gskill

Windows 7 RC 7100 or (7127, 7600  test)
    all versions failed

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Hi all,

I still have the problem with:

Intel Duo2Core e7400
    4gb (2x2gb DDRII)

MotherBoard: Intel D945GCNL (BR)

I can install windows 7 RC 7100, but only disabling the processor multiplexing feature in the Bios.

Anyone knows about some patch for this motherboard? (I'm already update the bios for the lastest version ... the installation failed anyway - BSOD on install)

[]s
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Just for everyone's info, I'm still having this exact problem with e8400 on p5w dh deluxe.  I know there is an official fix for vista sp2, but did a fix ever get created for win7-64bit?  I've tried bios revs: 2801, 2901, 3001.  I have not had success with any of these.  I managed to install win7-64 professional on my old cpu and I can definitely go back to the old one and have everything work again, but I would much prefer to have this working properly.  Also, swapping CPUs is a PITA and it will eventually render my HSF unmountable.
    Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:59 AM
  • Just for everyone's info, I'm still having this exact problem with e8400 on p5w dh deluxe.  I know there is an official fix for vista sp2, but did a fix ever get created for win7-64bit?  I've tried bios revs: 2801, 2901, 3001.  I have not had success with any of these.  I managed to install win7-64 professional on my old cpu and I can definitely go back to the old one and have everything work again, but I would much prefer to have this working properly.  Also, swapping CPUs is a PITA and it will eventually render my HSF unmountable.

Strange, personally (e8600 on a p5hw dh) the problem have been solved with the bios 2901 :/

Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:03 AM
  • In response to the people who say this is a hardware issue with the CPU or motherboard or whatever: If XP runs fine, and Vista 64-bit runs fine, and Win 7 32-bit runs fine, then it's a problem with Win 7 64-bit, and only Microsoft should be held responsible.

I had a related issue with my AMD dual core 2.4, but I solved it by turning off Quiet & Cool and changing the hypertransport setting from Auto to 600. The result is that Win 7 works fine, I suppose, but my CPU is not functioning at its top speed and is running hot. When we pay outrageously inflated prices to Microsoft for their OS product, we should expect a fully functioning product and not something that requires us to cripple our hardware in order to run it. I am urging Microsoft Tech to get moving and find a solution to the endless hyperthreading/hypertransport issues that seemingly 75% of Windows 7 64-bit purchasers seem to have had.

Michael

Sunday, January 09, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Specs: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula mobo

HIS Radeon HD5870 gfx card

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.80 GHZ cpu

Win 7 pro 64 bit

Was running fine for over a year, recently got a BSOD with 'Multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported' error message. I have shut down all but core 0 and it finally runs windows 7 64bit. All bios wasn't up to date but is now and I am still getting the BSOD message. Help?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:10 AM
  • @MattRushG What's the specific hexadecimal codes you're seeing?
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:26 AM