none
Crash when trying to re-assess my WEI?

Question

• I ran the WEI assessment thingy once, and it came up with a base score of 1.0 because I had not yet installed any drivers for my graphics card's chipset. I installed them and tried to run the WEI assessment again, and it crashed as soon as I clicked the button for 5 tries, at which point I gave up.

I am fairly sure it will give me a higher score, and thereby allow me to try out the Glass thing, now that my drivers are updated. For reference, before installing the driver, I wasn't able to adjust the resolution above 1024x768, and after updating, was able to raise the resolution as well as use my second montitor. These facts lead me to believe that the OS was not able to see these capabilities before the drivers were installed. Am I wrong?

I submitted an error report after the second crash, but did not include the actual error dump, because I cannot seem to find it. The error message in the event viewer gives a specific location to find the dump and that location doesn't exist. And yes, it is set to show hidden files and folders.

Thanks for your help. I'd really like to find out if it's even worth it to keep trying. I know y'all probably can't help me with the crashing, but at least I'll know if I should keep checking for windows updates that might fix the crash...
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:49 AM

Answers

• There are a few topics about WEI.  Some have solutions that work while others dont.  Try checking these threads out here, and here.  See if any of the solutions mentioned will work for you to try and get this working.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:34 AM

All replies

• There are a few topics about WEI.  Some have solutions that work while others dont.  Try checking these threads out here, and here.  See if any of the solutions mentioned will work for you to try and get this working.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:34 AM
  • I know this is late, but I ran into a freeze/crash when running WEI and I resolved it. For me, it was crashing during "Tuning Windows Media Decoding". For this test, I believe it attempts to playback various media files stored in C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT.

Anyway, it turns out the AMD Catalyst drivers are setup for hardware video decode by default. By disabling all options relating to video decoding in the Catalyst Control Center, I was able to pass WEI without crashing. Open CCC by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting Catalyst Control Center. Then select "Video" in the left-hand panel, and several sub-options will appear. For each one, make sure all options are unselected.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:15 AM