none
Windows XP Mode on Windows7 suspends with no mouse movement

Question

• When I start certain applications in Windows XP mode, they run fine, but if I stop using the mouse, the program will stop running until I move the mouse again over the XP Window. If I move the mouse outside the XP Window, the trick does not work, and the program stops as well.

I can reproduce this as many times as I want in several ways/applications:

a) When I try to copy a big folder (300 MB, hundreds of files) from the C drive in XP Mode to any local drive in the Host machine

b) When in the XP virtual machine I download a big file from the Internet directly into a local drive in the host machine

c) When I run Norton Internet Security installed in the XP virtual machine and I request a scan of the host hard drives.

Not sure if this can be linked to the (known) slow access from the XP Mode environment to the host hard drives (lots of threads around this out there).

Note that:

a) This is not a power saving issue, it just happens after a few seconds of inactivity

b) This is not a Graphical User Interface (GUI) update issue only. The program actually stops running (eg, file copy does not happen).

c) All hard drives are local, there are no network drives.

d) There is a similar post in this forum (Programs hanging if mouse is not moved/clicked):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/00411a01-a64b-413b-82b8-7429810a1a31

and we both share the same motherboard (Asus P6T DELUXE V2).

e) I only experience this behaviour in XPMode. Windows7 is just fine... always.

I know it sounds strange, but it is not very convenient when I have to keep the mouse hovering for minutes to complete a file copy. I am even thinking of attaching the mouse to any "moving" house appliance to keep it moving without my intervention!

Thanks,

Francisco

System configuration:

Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. Version 6.1. Build 7600. (XP Mode: XP Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636 : Sp 3)

i7-920 2.66 Mhz (no overclocking)

Asus P6T Deluxe V2,

OCZ Gold Edition PC3-12800 TriChannel 6GB 3x2GB

System Disk: Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB

Data disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB SATA2 32MB

(Note: was posted on the wrong forum before)

• Edited by paco_j Friday, January 07, 2011 9:44 AM Added OS build
    Friday, January 07, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• On your host machine if you do following

Start >run >msconfig > Services >Check HIde all Microsoft services >Disable all

Start >run >msconfig > Startup> Disable all

Reboot the physcial host and try to repro the issue

Xp VM was it clean installed from cd/iso or are you using an image for Windows XP?

Ankito
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:29 PM
  • I followed your instructions. I disabled all non Microsoft essential services and startup applications, and rebooted.

The issue is still there: no mouse movement within the VM window boundaries means no activity at all.

XP VM was installed from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Thanks for your help

Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Do you have exclusions setup in Norton for the xp-mode or the vhd file. Can you please provide the version of the Integration Services in the XP Mode VM.

Can you try creating a new VM and see if we can repro the issue with the new VM?

Thanks,

Ankito
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Not sure what you mean by "exclusions" in Norton. By default, Norton scans the vhd C drive. The issue appears when I instruct Norton to perform a specific scan of the host C (system) or D (host) drives. But, as explained before, Norton is just one of the applications for which I can reproduce the issue.

Can you please explain where can I find the version of the Integration Services.

When you suggest creating a new VM, do you also mean deleting the existing VM (and the installed programs I might have)?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:38 PM
  • I just installed Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 Pro.  Added all the apps I needed to check compatibility with my old XP environment (Norton Internet Security 2011, VB6 Pro, Office 2003 Pro, VS2008 Express, .Net redistributables for 3.5 SP1, CodeWright 6.5) and applied all patches and updates along the way. 

The only problem encountered initially was VB2008 refusing to run in debug mode due to the sources and deployment location being on one of the host's drives.  Creating a fixed-size VHD, moving the aforementioned to that and attaching it as Hard Disk 2 solved all that.

BUT, the build and publish seemed to be taking a long, long time until I realised I had the same problem - without moving the mouse around frequently, everything ground to a halt.  Usually within a few seconds.

Then, whilst copying more of the the old XP sources (a few gigabytes) from a host drive to the new VHD, exactly the same symptoms.  Unless I frequently moved the mouse, the copy appeared to stop.  I tried leaving it running (sic) in the background to see if it was just a GUI freeze whilst I played a few games of Solitaire (my self-imposed punishment when waiting for a long-running process to complete, but don't want to leave the PC in case it needs responses - I suffered a whole heap of that whilst downloading and installing all the Microsoft Updates to bring the new XP VM up to scratch on a 1.5 MBit internet connection...).  This long pause in mouse activity in the VM (about 3 minutes) crashed the file copy.  The VM remained unscathed and restarted without complaint.

I've been racking my brains as to where I've seen this behaviour before - it seems very familiar but I can't remember the exact circumstances - it was a long, long time ago.  I do recall that the problem was related to a process not receiving any messages and going to sleep.

From the posts here I would suggest the problem is not hardware related.  So what have we missed in the software and its configuration?

Anyone got any ideas?  Very frustrating as Francisco says. 

How would I tell my corporate masters that Windows XP Mode may not be the answer for their legacy apps if they migrate to Windows 7?  I would have thought that a show-stopper issue with the migrating of legacy apps to Windows 7 using the much-trumpeted XP VM solution would alone have prompted Microsoft™ into a flurry of action with workarounds and/or solutions.  And yet I see this post being batted around in only the last few days.  It would be a great shame to see an ideal route to ridding future Windows versions of the legacy heritage giving such a basic problem.

Enough of the politics, I will continue to examine my own set up and find what the cause is.  Yet again it's "Set aside the main objective and go chasing side issues."  Not that I'm complaining too much, this forum and others like it have been an invaluable resource for other teething troubles I've encountered.  Many thanks to all concerned.

Steve

System Configuration:

Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. Version 6.1 Build 7600.

Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode downloaded in Jan 2011-  XP Version 5.1 SP3 Build 2600

I5-750 overclocked to 2.880 Ghz (160 x 18)

Cooled by Thermalright MUX-120 sitting in an Antec P193 case with 4 fans (Aussie climate!)

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard

Elixir 4 x 2Gb 1600 Mhz memory (160 x 10)

Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50

System Disk: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC 80Gb

Data Disks: 4 x  SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1Tb

(1 x Win7 data, 1 x Win7 backup, 1 x XP data, 1 x XP backup)

No, I'm not dual-booting win7/XP - the XP drives came from my old XP machine to save a lot of hassle copying stuff.

The only permanent USB devices are a HP Laserjet 1020 printer and a Logitech M500 mouse

The only temporary USB devices are other HDDs used for off-site backups

Sunday, February 06, 2011 5:28 AM
  • I may have stumbled across a culprit (or, at least an indication of where things are going wrong).

As I type this, Windows XP Mode is happily copying 5Gb of data from a drive on the VM to a drive on the host - no freeze, no problems.  I've also been builing and publishing in VB2008 in Windows XP Mode throughout this Win7 session and haven't noticed any freezing

For entertainment after a hard slog at the keyboard, I play Rise of Legends.  Ever since I moved to Win7 64bit, this application has sometimess refused to start.  It's refusal to run or not is consistent for a session - it either always will run in a particular session or it won't. 

Examining what was going on in Sysinternal Process Explorer, there is a process tree of:

Case 1 

explorer.exe

legends.exe

when Rise of Legends is in a session where it runs ok.

And a process tree of

Case 2

explorer.exe

legends.exe

rundll32.exe

when it's in a session where it doesn't.

Killing legends.exe (leaving rundll32.exe intact) will then allow the game to run.  rundll32.exe just sits there happily consuming a full core of the cpu, but the game now launches ok.  If I then kill rundll32.exe, I'm back to Case 2 behaviour.

In this current session, Rise of Legends is running ok and so is Windows XP Mode.  Any connection?  I notice the shortcut for Windows XP Mode is:

%SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\VMCPropertyHandler.dll,LaunchDefaultVM

I'll have to check whether the freezing in Windows XP Mode is consistent with when Case 2 occurs for RoL, as I'm basing my suspicion only on this current session being in Case 1.  And I have to get some sleep now and don't feel like a barrage of restarting and checking my Case 1 / Case 2 suspicions tonight.  Too much chance involved!  Should be free to try that on Saturday.

It does look a bit like rundll32.exe may be involved in the problem though.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I'am happy to know that I am not the only one with this issue. Well, I am not happy that you are in trouble of course! You know what it mean...

I also suspect that we may not be the only one in the world suffering from this. It would be strange that just two guys so far apart, one in Australia, one in Spain, with somehow standard software and hardware, would be the only people affected.

I have not done any further investigation. I think I do not have the required technical knowledge. In fact, I do not fully understand your rundll32.exe suspicions. The only thing I could do to help would be to test any solution that may be proposed, as I can reproduce the issue any time I want.

I posted the same question in the official Asus forum, and got no answers back at all. The 3 cases I know have an Asus motherboard, but in your case it is not the same model. Not sure if this matters.

I also hope that someone in this forum, or with Microsoft, can give us a hand.

Thanks,

Francisco

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Hi Francisco,

Yeah, I very much doubt we're the only people suffering from the problem.  The trouble with an intermittent problem (for me at least, it sounds like you may have it all the time) is that it's very hard to pinpoint what's causing it.  And if it's only happening in Windows XP Mode, I doubt whether many users would notice it.  They're probably using the mouse a lot in XP Mode and not doing many operations that take a long enough time for the freeze to occur.  I've timed the gaps between freeezes and it can be anything from 30+ seconds down to  one or two seconds.  It took me a while to realise that freezing was taking place as any mouse movement frees it up again.  And, like most people, when something seems to stop, the first thing I do is move the mouse pointer onto it!

Unfortunately, I'm currently in a session where RoL is working fine but Windows XP Mode is freezing.  Well, perhaps I'd better qualify that.  Windows XP Mode is freezing when it copies files from a host (Win7) drive to its own Virtual Drive(VHD in Win XP Mode).  But copying from one VHD to another VHD is not freezing - weird!?  I run two VHDs in Windows XP Mode - one for the software and a separate one for the development environment.

The stuff about rundll32.exe just refers to a Windows component that is common to both problems. RoL freezes when it launches and just sits there chewing up CPU.  Windows XP Mode just freezes.  Both use rundll32.exe.

Originally, I tried all the recommended compatibility settings with RoL, both from the last environment in which it ran sucessfully (XP sp3) and from the troubleshooter (XP sp2).  Nothing worked.  It was only when I discovered rundll32.exe was sitting there chewing up a full core of the cpu that I discovered that killing legends.exe (leaving rundll32.exe isolated and still chewing up a full core) solved the problem.

When Windows XP Mode started playing up, I just looked at the shortcut details and noticed that it too launches with rundll32.exe.

Conincidence?  Seems unlikely.

Any comment from Microsoft™ would be welcome.

Has anyone else noticed the problem?  As I mentioned above, it may not be immediately apparent that anything's wrong if all you're doing is using Windows XP Mode to run a user-intensive application.  The constant mouse movement will mask the problem. 

So, if you're using Windows XP Mode in a Win7 64bit environment, try copying (say) 5Gb of data from a drive on the host to your VHD and take your hand off the mouse.  Does it freeze?  We'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

Steve

Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:32 AM
  • Hi Francisco,

One other comment. 

My motherboard is a Gigabyte with the P55 chipset and socket 1156 for the I5-750 cpu running dual-channel DDR3 memory.

Yours is an Asus with the X58 chipset and socket 1366 for the I7-920 cpu running triple channel DDR3 memory. 

These two setups couldn't be more different.  So I don't think hardware's the problem.

I suspect the problem is much more widespread than the three cases you've come across.  It's just that people haven't really noticed it yet (see previous post).

Regards

Steve

Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:17 AM
  • I've continued this post in the Windows Compatibility forum as the rundll32.exe problem has cropped up on my other PC.  That PC is not running Wndows XP Mode:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/04c4fc21-f7ac-4270-9724-63b8a9154a7a

Steve

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Hello Steve/Francisco,

This is a complex Query and falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks,

Ankito
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Hello Ankito,

Thanks for your answer.

Based on the fact that the issue has been confirmed by someone in Australia, and by someone in Europe, with different hardware setups and different software applications, I guess this has something to do with Windows 7 - XP Mode itself. In fact, I can reproduce the issue just using Microsoft applications: a simple file copy operation.

Let's imagine then that the root cause of this issue is a XP Mode design bug. Taking into account that:

- I have paid Euro 125 (around US$160) for my copy of Windows 7 Professional OEM - I can prove this

- This is happening to other people - There is evidence in this same thread

- It is a Microsoft design fault  - This is just an hypothesis, but justified on the abovementioned evidences

could you explain why I should pay Microsoft any money to fix it.

Regards,

Francisco

ps. At least, it would be a good sign of customer service if any Microsoft engineer could just try to reproduce this and tell us what happens. In my case, it is just a file copy exercise. Or running a Norton antivirus check!

Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:40 PM
  • > - This is happening to other people - There is evidence in this same thread

But it doesn't happen to everyone, or even a majority.

> - It is a Microsoft design fault  - This is just an hypothesis, but justified on the abovementioned evidences

My guess is that it's a driver problem, which may more may not be a
    Microsoft supported component.  For all the people that have posted
    about this and said they have a problem, what Video card do you have
    -- what NIC?  Any other app in common like AV?

> could you explain why I should pay Microsoft any money to fix it.

If it's a real bug in Windows Virtual PC, I'm pretty sure they refund
    anything they might have charged, but you can make sure when you first
    contact them.

>ps. At least, it would be a good sign of customer service if any Microsoft engineer could just try to reproduce this and tell us what happens. In my case, it is just a file copy exercise. Or running a Norton antivirus check!

Well I'm not a Microsoft Employee, but I've run Windows VPC on quite a
    few PC's and I haven't run into that problem yet.  I haven't run
    Norton in a VM in years as it always caused too many performance
    problems.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Thanks for the replies Ankito and Bob.

I doto agree with Francisco though.  Let's look at what few facts there are for this issue:

• It happens.  It may be difficult to spot that it is happening as most users will be happily moving their mouse around whilst in the VM.  So it's only when long-running processes suddenly freeze up (backups in my case, or occasionally during a long compile) that it becomes apparent.  And, as I've stated previously, most users' response when it does happen is to move the mouse - then it disappears and one is left wondering "Did that really just happen or is the response just a little jerky?".
    • The tie-in with rundll32.exe and the problems I've outlined in anoher thread http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone seem relevant.
    • It's intermittent (for me at least) in that it hasn't happened to me for a week now.  Then last night it froze during an Acronis backup running in the VM.  These backups have been running daily and freeze-free for a week now (VHD to VHD - separate internal drives).  So I do understand that it's one of those problems that's very hard to nail down.  I certainly can't guarantee to be able to reproduce it.  The same applies to the rundll32.exe problem when running games.  That has disappeared for the time being on both machines.
    • The only changes to the machines during that time have been Microsoft, Acronis and Adobe updates.

Some speculation on the problems:

• Does Win7 64-bit rearrange it's startup sequence to optimise performance in the same way that XP does?  Could that be relevant to the intermittent nature of the problems?
    • Is there any relevance to the problem seeming to disappear/reappear after Microsoft Updates have installed themselves?  Inconclusive as to whether this is just coincidence as I hadn't been specifically monitoring that situation but 'gut feel' sees a connection.  Sorry I can't be more specific but I'm working on these machines and don't always have the time available to do strict problem testing - only so many hours in the day.

And a bit more info on my setup:

• I've been very careful with these builds as it's my first experience with both Win7 and 64-bit.  So I only intially installed the software I need to do my work plus the two games mentioned in previous posts.  Since the problem appeared, I have installed other stuff and changed the mouse from Microsoft (scrolling problems) to Logitech.
    • All drivers were the ones installed by Win7 from Microsoft.  I didn't install any from vendors (incidentally, well done Microsoft for making that process so pain-free).  So, surely Microsoft has some resposibility in this area?
    • I can't guarantee that the situation hasn't changed since the original build on this machine as automatic vendor updates (Adobe Flash Player and Acrobat Reader, and Acronis) may have ruined my initial attempts at a 'clean' machine.  However, this would apply to most users when they have their system up and running, so I don't see it as unusual.
    • Whilst I experienced some problems with Norton back in the 2008 version, their later releases have given me no trouble at all.  It's a well-respected brand and widely used.  So I would expect any problems from that area to be immediately apparent (and to be fixed by them pretty pronto anyway).
    • I checked compatibility for everything installed and came up with OK for both the hardware and software.

So, if I were a newbie user and followed all the setup procedures recommended by Microsoft, how would I see this as anything other than a Microsoft problem?  Or, at least, one in which they might make some effort to reproduce it or nail down a cause?

My current situation is this:

• I'm happy to continue working in the XP VM as the problem is intermittent and usually unnoticeable due to mouse activity whilst I'm using it.  As I'm aware of the problem, I watch for it in long-running processes - usually when backing up the day's work.  The VM is possibly redundant anyway as the stuff I'm testing is also running quite happily on the other test machine which is just Win7 64-bit.  So, again, well done Microsoft for that sort of compatibility for legacy XP apps in Win7.  But I think you have a problem with Windows XP Mode.
    • The other rundll32.exe problem is annoying but I have the workaround mentioned in previous posts.  Not ideal but it works.  And has disappeared for the time being.

Summing up:

• Disappointed with the response from Microsoft.
    • I refuse to pay for support on a problem that is affecting other users (no matter how few, though I still suspect it's more than Microsoft realise).
    • Very well pleased with the other 99% of what I have to do on these machines.  Win7 is a great improvement on XP and Vista.  I especially like the ability to review the history of just about everything that has happened on the machines since installation.

So, unless anyone else has any contributions to add, I'll live with the problems for the time being.

Do you still have the problems Francisco?

Anyone else got any comments?

Steve

Sunday, March 06, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Hi

I am having the same problem described above. I'm based in the UK, not that it matters is suppose!

I'm presently copying 25000 small TIF files to test some software (about 11K bytes each) between a drive on my host machine and the Windows XP mode C drive, because it's painfully slow to work on anything other than the Windows XP mode C drive.

And if I don't keep moving the mouse around, the copying stops.

So yes, you guys are not alone.

Just for the record, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit with 8GB RAM.

The PC has an i7-860 @ 2.8GHz. Everything is standard and not overclocked.

The M/B is an Asus P7P55D PRO.

There are 4 hard drives in raid 0/1, plus two more in raid 1.

The machine is stable and (other than Windows XP mode) is fast enough when doing everything else.

Best regards

Alan

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Yes, I still have the same problem. It is 100% reproducible on my machine.

We are now 3!

Francisco

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Hello everyone,

We can definitely understand your concerns about having to open a support case.  Unfortunately however, this sort of issue isn’t something that our technical moderation team is equipped to troubleshoot via the forums.  To really understand what is causing this behavior, we’re going to have to have an engineer work directly with one of you to understand and debug the behavior.

This is a particularly complex issue, and debugging the problem will require quite a bit of dedicated time from members of our support engineering team.  Unfortunately that team has to balance this request against other customer requests about other issues, many of which are not necessarily problems in Windows itself.  I’m sure that all of you can relate to having to make judgements about which issues to look at first in the environments you support.

This is why we require a support case.  Having a case (which is tied back to a specific customer) helps us document the business impact of an issue to that customer and potentially others. It helps show the development teams how that issue weighs against other issues that might need limited developer time in order to fix, and ultimately it helps us make the decision of which issue to work on first.  In a perfect world, we’d work on every single issue that our customers encounter simultaneously and for free – but sadly we simply don’t have the resources to do that.  No company does.  That’s why there is a cost associated with opening support cases.

Please rest assured that your feedback is definitely being recorded and passed along to the development team regardless of whether a case is opened or not.  Also please note that our support policy is very clear that if an issue is found to be caused by a bug in a Microsoft product, the customer is not charged for that support case.  That means that if you do open a case, and we find that this is a flaw in Windows 7, any charges associated with opening the case should be refunded, or non-decremented if you open using a support contract.

Ankito
    Monday, March 14, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

Can you guys please review the following kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981285  and perform Method 2 that’s documented in the kb?

1. Shut down all the virtual machines that are running on the computer.
    2. Start Notepad, and then click Open on the File menu.
    3. In the Open dialog box, type %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Options.xml in the File name box, and then click Open.
    4. Under the <virtual_machines> tag, add the following line:
      <enable_idle_thread type="boolean">true</enable_idle_thread>
    5. In Notepad, click Save on the File menu, and then close Notepad.
    6. Open the Power Options item in Control Panel, and then make sure that the current power plan is set to Balanced or High Performance.
    7. Start the virtual machine.
    8. Repro the issue 

Note This method enables Windows Virtual PC to fully use the processor and prevent the system from entering a low power state. For multicore systems, one core is used

Thanks,

Ankito

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Thanks Ankito,

I've just made those changes.  Editing the Options.xml file was all I needed as the power setting was already set to High Performance.

I've run a quick (sic) test by copying a 14Gb file from a host drive to one of the VM's drives (around 12 minutes).

It's immediately apparent that a lot more cpu is being used than ever before (I use the All CPU Meter gadget) and the copy process is showing a smooth animation in the copy pop-up window.  Previously, the animation was quite jerky.  I find this more indicative of a better outcome than the fact that the copy completed without freezing as, for the last few days, the VM has worked ok anyway.

Anyway, the copy went without a hitch and without any activity from me.

I'm about to do full backups and install Win7 64-bit SP1 on both machines within the next couple of days.  So I'll post how things are after that. 

The other problem with rundll32.exe has disappeared from this machine but is still present on the other.  Just in case the freezing problem reappears: I can't prove it because I didn't keep a detailed log (mea culpa) but both problems seemed to appear or disappear in sync with batches of Microsoft Updates.  If it reappears, I'll keep a manual log of occurences and compare it with the update logs.

Thanks again for the help and I appreciate your policy a little better for your enlightenment on the subject ☺☼

Did this work for any one else?

Steve

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Hello Ankito,

Thanks for your help.

I have followed your instructions. I have implemented Method 2 as explained in the kb you mention.

Unfortunately, the problem still happens after the change.

Note that I was unsure on where exactly to add the line requested. So I did it in two different ways:

First:

<virtual_machines>
            <power>
                <mm_timer_duration type="integer">16</mm_timer_duration>
            </power>
        </virtual_machines>

Second:

<virtual_machines>
            <power>
                <mm_timer_duration type="integer">16</mm_timer_duration>
            </power>
        </virtual_machines>

Don't know if the order matters or not. Just in case, I tested both ways, but in any case, results were always negative.

Thanks again,

Francisco

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:46 PM
  • Don't get your hopes up too much guys, but I've installed Win 7 64-bit SP1 on both machines and both problems have disappeared.

PC1 - Windows XP Mode appeared to be fixed (and more responsive) after following Ankito's instructions.  The rundll32.exe problem had disappeared after yet another batch of Windows Updates about a week earlier anyway.

PC2 - The problem with rundll32.exe was still present despite nearly identical Windows Updates.  However, installing SP1 seems to have fixed it.

So maybe SP1 is worth a try as a fix.

(Despite the huge download penalty - over 900Mb for the 'one size fits all' version!  Why does the world assume broadband over the entire planet?  Australia is far from backward in technology but it is a huge place and really fast broadband is limited to the cities.  The 'National Broadband Network' rollout from our government holds some promise but the timescale is a bit unrealistic in this fast-paced world.)

Hope this may help.  Please let me know if SP1 does it for you Francisco and Alan.

Steve

Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Steve,

I have installed Win 7 64-bit SP1 on my machine and my problems have NOT disappeared.

I start to think that I will need to live with this forever.

Francisco

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Francisco,

I've had the same disappointment.  After nearly a week with no problems, I did two things (silly me!):

1. I let Windows XP Mode install the Win7 upgrade for integration (cute the way it mounts this as a replacement for the DVD drive - left me wondering what the heck was going on for a while which is why I delayed its install in the VM after the SP1 install in the host.)
    2. Another Win7 64-bit update (Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2524375)) installed itself.

The freezing in Windows XP Mode came back - but subtly different.  It only seems to freeze now when copying from a host drive to one of its VHDs - internal operations don't seem to freeze (Acronis backups and large file copies).  Sorry to be a bit vague about this but I only had a short time to check it out - copy stuff to the VHD from the host (froze every few seconds) and then modify it (a lot of mouse movement but no apparent freezing when it came to backup time).

I now copy stuff to and from the VHDs by mounting them in Disk Manager in the host when the VM isn't in use - quicker too!

More telling is that the problem with rundll32.exe and some 32-bit games has also come back!  I'm still convinced these two issues are related - when Win7 64-bit runs 32-bit software, doesn't it also do it in a VM?

Where to now?

Anyone else got any feedback.

Steve

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:47 AM
  • I have this same problem. I have a new Dell Precision T1500 running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I installed Windows XP Mode in order to run MKS Source Integrity. When I run Source Integrity in Windows XP Mode, Windows XP freezes if I do not move the mouse inside the XP Mode window. The Windows XP clock doesn't update, nothing. If I then move the mouse, viola, the clock updates and Source Integrity starts working again. This freezing up is causing errors in Source Integrity, so if I want a long Source Integrity operation to work, I literally have to sit there and move the mouse around in the window to prevent the problem from happening. Even when doing this, performance of Source Integrity seems jerky with pauses, not smooth like you would expect.

I didn't change many of the Windows XP Mode settings. I bumped the memory up to 2 GB and set up Networking to use my Broadcom network adapter so that VPN would work. I also followed ankito's advice above of editing Options.xml and changing the Power Options, but that did not help.

I would really like a solution to this problem, since Windows XP Mode is somewhat useless with this bug.

Monday, April 04, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi everybody

Once again I see a link between this problem and the rundll32.exe problem in another thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/d9aaef3d-d294-4a27-847f-0dc1422e3930

and my original separate thread where I detailed the problems before I found the one above:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/04c4fc21-f7ac-4270-9724-63b8a9154a7a

It would help greatly to read those two threads in order to understand this:

I started Black and White 2 (a game) in the problem Guest user and experienced the usual hang up - rundll32.exe going full chat but nothing happening.  So I connected to the internet using the Admin password and lo and behold, after a couple of seconds to do the download of the box art, etc (despite being disabled in Game Explorer!) the game started up its splash screen - AND THEN JUST HUNG!  I waited a while and then tried moving the mouse.  IT CARRIED ON OK - SYMPTOM JUST LIKE IN WINDOWS XP MODE!

So I do think there's something up with rundll32.exe and this hanging problem we're getting.

I can't understand why as rundll32.exe has long disappeared by the time Windows XP Mode is running.  It only seems to be used to launch it (look at the shortcut for Windows XP Mode).  So my only reasoning is the above experience with the other problem.  I may be completely off track, but then I've seen stranger 'coincidences' in my time.

No real help, just some more info.

Steve

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:42 AM
  • rundll32 is a special windows loader for various things -- to figure
    out what runndll32 is doing when it goes to 100%, open task manager,
    select "Show processes from all users", next pull the view menu down
    and "select columns", and then checkmark "Command line", it's forth
    from the bottom on my PC, then okay.  Now you'll see the command line
    column and it'll first show the rundll32.exe, but after that will be
    the real executable that is running. 

What's that executable, it'll help determine what's going on.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Thanks for the interest Bob

rundll32.exe problem

Erm, sort of the wrong end of the stick for this thread...

rundll32.exe has long disappeared from the scene when the Windows XP Mode VM is running - it's only used to launch it(?)  The other thread about games faiing to start and rundll32.exe chewing up cpu may be more relevant:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/d9aaef3d-d294-4a27-847f-0dc1422e3930

The only games I have installed (and have experienced the problem with) are "Rise of Nations - Rise of Legends" (executable legends.exe) and "Black & White 2", both the original and the "Battle of the Gods" add-on (executable white.exe in both cases).

Since connecting to the 'net (following advice in posts on that thread above) they are both now working ok.  I suspect the exe causing the problems in those cases is gameux.dll, as mentioned in that thread.  They're both now working OK after they've had the chance to download box art, etc - despite this being turned off in Games Explorer!  Why does everyone assume people are connected 100% of the time these days?  I only connect as necessary and, as a result, get far fewer assualts on my machine!

Anyway, I can't now look at what was holding onto rundll32.exe as that particular problem is fixed - hopefully for good.

Back to the Windows XP Mode VM freezing problem.

This is currently running ok on my PC.  No idea why that is suddenly the case, but I cannot reproduce the symptoms at the moment.  It's done this a few times now - plays up for a few days, then suddenly rights itself.  The only correlation I've come across is that it seems to come and go after Microsoft Updates have been installed (on the host, not in the VM).  I hadn't been tracking these against occurences so I cannot guarantee that's always the case.  For what it's worth, these are the updates to the host over the last couple of weeks or so:

• (KB2524375) Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎24/‎03/‎2011 10:33 PM
    • (KB2488113) Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎19/‎03/‎2011 1:57 PM
    • (KB2493983) Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 32-Bit Edition Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:44 PM
    • (KB2505438) Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:44 PM
    • (KB2479943) Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:44 PM
    • (KB890830) Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - March 2011 Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:44 PM
    • (KB2508979) Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:43 PM
    • (KB2494150) Update for Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:43 PM
    • (KB2483614) Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:43 PM
    • (KB982726) Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition Installation date: ‎10/‎03/‎2011 1:43 PM Installation status: Successful
    • (KB2387530) Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎23/‎02/‎2011 9:13 PM
    • (KB2484033) Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Installation date: ‎23/‎02/‎2011 9:13 PM
    • (KB2495644) Update for Microsoft Silverlight Installation date: ‎20/‎02/‎2011 8:03 PM

For all of the above - Installation status: Successful

Francisco seems to be the only one who can reproduce this problem on demand.  So maybe he can give some feedback on what's running when it happens?

Would downloading Sysinternals Suite's procexp64.exe give a bit better view of what's going on than Task Manager?  It's a bit of learning curve for a novice, but I've found it invaluable for tracking down all sorts of stuff (mostly on my now-dead XP box - haven't had much need to in Win7 except for these problems).  Unfortunately, when the problem has impacted what I'm doing, I've had the delivery-deadline "Sword of Damoclese" putting me off getting side-tracked into exploring the problem in any depth. And, of course, now I've got the time available, it's not doing it!  Murphy's Law strikes again . 

Steve

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 1:43 AM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same problem, the Virtual PC freezes on some operations unless I wave the mouse over it.  I did the update to Options.xml per Ankito's instructions, and confirmed that Power Options was on Balanced, but it did not help.

The 'some operations' includes the program suite we use to run our MRP system to operate our company.  We have about 30 seats in the network, all running Win XP, except for my PC where I'm running Win 7 64 bit.  If I need to run a long unattended process, such as MRP regen, I can't run it on my PC.  I have to go borrow someone else's PC.

Rich in NJ.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:21 PM
  • >Would downloading Sysinternals Suite's procexp64.exe give a bit better view of what's going on than Task Manager?

Possibly, but I really don't think it'll show the answer, sounds more
    like a power management issue to me, but one different from any of the
    known problems.

>Francisco

How do yours and his hardware compare?  Chipset? Processor? BIOS
    version?

Friday, April 08, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Bob,

This is my system configuration:

Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. Version 6.1. Build 7600.

XP Mode: XP Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636 : Sp 3)

(Upgraded to Win7 SP1 afterwards)

LGA 1366 socket, Intel i7-920 2.66 Mhz (no overclocking)

Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2,

BIOS 0610; build date 09/03/09

Chipset Intel X58/ICH10R

OCZ Gold Edition PC3-12800 TriChannel 6GB 3x2GB

System Disk: Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB

Data disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB SATA2 32MB

Thanks

Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Dear Bob,

My new PC also have COMPLETELY SAME problem.

The spec is as follows:

Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit(Lang: Japanese, Ver.6.1, Build 7601:SP1) 
    XP Mode: XP Pro Sp3 (Lang: Japanese, Version 5.1, build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234:SP3)

CPU: LGA 1155 socket, Intel i7-2600K (no overclocking)
    M/B: Asus P8H67-V, B3 revision (Intel H67, SATA problem is fixed)
    1st VGA: Intel HD3000(CPU integrated)
    2nd VGA(Multi-monitor): RADEON HD 2600
    BIOS: (Latest Version)

MEM: Patriot PSD38G1333KH, DDR3-1333 CL9, 4GB x2
    System Disk: Crucial Real SSD C300 64GB
    Data Disk:
     1. Intel SSD X25-M 80GB
     2. Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB
     3. Western Digital WD10EADS 1TB
     4. Seagate ST3320620 320GB  <- Windows XP mode is installed

I previously used Windows XP mode on "Windows 7 32bit" on Core2Duo E6600 machine,
    but this problem didn't occur.

So, I am quite disappointed with the current situation now....

FYI:
    On my machine, the suspending interval time seems to be extended by playing back the local music file on Windows Media Player on Windows XP mode. (A few seconds -> One minutes or so)
    So, I doubted some problems in the I/O related power management,
    but could not solve the problem yet.

Thanks.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:44 PM
  • I have the same problem. The host board does not matter. Just put your stuff to use Win XP SP 3 32-bit guest on Windows 7 64-bit host.

It starts waiting for mouse input when I installed Xilinx ISE and do Place and Route with it.

The problem is similar to what I have met often previously in pure Windows applications. Try to select all this long thread text with a mouse. Left-click and move mouse up to start scrolling. It scrolls much faster when you keep mouse moving.

In some cases it does not scroll at all without moving the hand. The effect is very similar. I think it is related with windows message loop processing.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:24 PM
  • >I think it is related with windows message loop processing.

Everyone would have that problem if that were so, and most people
    don't.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:52 PM
  • > most people don't have this problem

It is a kind of problem easy to overlook, disregard and under-report.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:45 PM
  • >It is a kind of problem easy to overlook, disregard and under-report.

Not the way it's described, all processing actually stops in the VM
    unlike a scrolling issue where the screen updates at a different
    speed. I know I would notice in any case..

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Are MVPs capable of representing a typical Microsoft user?

Friday, April 22, 2011 3:13 PM
  • We're just users too...

Friday, April 22, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hi All,

I've run into the same issue, processing suspends on XP Mode when accessing the host hard drive unless moving the mouse. None of the suggestions here have resolved the issue, although I found that holding down the ctrl key has the same effect as mouse movements, and is a lot easier on the wrist!

Kris

• Edited by Kris001 Friday, April 22, 2011 8:45 PM typo
    Friday, April 22, 2011 8:41 PM
  • I did a full re-install and also noticed that the problem went away after installing Win 7 64-bit SP1. Unfortunately after a reboot of both the host and virtual machines, the problem came back. I un-installed and re-installed Win 7 64-bit SP1 but the behaviour was not repeatable. The issue did not go away and occurs 100% of the time.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:01 AM
  • Did it happen before you first installed Windows 7 SP1?

Monday, April 25, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Yes, it happened before I first installed Windows 7 SP1.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Excellent trick, Kris.

I did try holding down the ctrl key and it worked... for a while. It does not matter if the mouse is on top of the VM windown or not. If I press the ctrl key, the activity restarts as if I were moving the mouse. However, I tried to put some weight on the key, started a long file copy exercise, left the room and half an hour later I discovered the system had stopped again. I have a wireless keyboard, so I don`t know if it keeps sending the signal that the ctrl key is down all the time.

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:20 PM
  • For your information, it happened to me before AND after I installed Windows 7 SP1. I have not tried to re-install.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Thanks, I just want to know if it was a SP1 only problem.  Just trying
    to narrow it down...

Monday, April 25, 2011 10:26 PM
  • My two-pennyworth from experiences on my PC:

• It happened both before and after Win 7 64-bit SP1 install.
    • Immediately after the SP1 install completed, the problem disappeared.  It came back - see my previous post Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:47 AM.
    • It appeared the first time I used XP mode after its initial install.
    • It is intermittent - I can't reproduce it to order except within an uninterrupted session on the host (see below).  So take the following observations as subjective rather than fully objective.
    • So far, when I get a trouble-free session in the XP Mode VM, it lasts for the duration of the host session.  I can shutdown and restart the VM (not hiberbate!) without the problem showing up.  So, unless the VM's state is being preserved in a manner of which I am unaware, is that at all relevant to what's happening?
    • The initial install of both Win 7 64-bit and the XP Mode software was very bare-bones (see my previous posts in this thread).  The initial install only used MS drivers picked by Win 7 and downloaded during that install (that is, they all had the 'seal of approval').  The problem was apparent then and is still there after much more software and hardware has been stacked on the PC.  I needed as clean a setup as possible back then as I was evaluating both Win 7 64-bit and XP Mode for legacy application support.  That task is now over and the PC has become the usual workhorse and occasional plaything.  The only other problems since then have been a couple of 64-bit compatibility problems from vendors who claim Win 7 64-bit compatibility but (and also according to their forums) don't necessarily deliver it!  And I still can't get the XPS document writer to work for me!  In other words, known problems.  Everything else is stable and works remarkably efficiently.

Many thanks for the interest Bob.

By the way, is this happening in Win 7 32-bit host environments as well?  Just curious...

Steve

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:04 PM
  • My two-pennyworth from experiences on my PC:

• It happened both before and after Win 7 64-bit SP1 install.
    • Immediately after the SP1 install completed, the problem disappeared.  It came back - see my previous post Tuesday, March 29, 2011 5:47 AM.
    • It appeared the first time I used XP mode after its initial install.
    • It is intermittent - I can't reproduce it to order except within an uninterrupted session on the host (see below).  So take the following observations as subjective rather than fully objective.
    • So far, when I get a trouble-free session in the XP Mode VM, it lasts for the duration of the host session.  I can shutdown and restart the VM (not hiberbate!) without the problem showing up.  So, unless the VM's state is being preserved in a manner of which I am unaware, is that at all relevant to what's happening?
    • The initial install of both Win 7 64-bit and the XP Mode software was very bare-bones (see my previous posts in this thread).  The initial install only used MS drivers picked by Win 7 and downloaded during that install (that is, they all had the 'seal of approval').  The problem was apparent then and is still there after much more software and hardware has been stacked on the PC.  I needed as clean a setup as possible back then as I was evaluating both Win 7 64-bit and XP Mode for legacy application support.  That task is now over and the PC has become the usual workhorse and occasional plaything.  The only other problems since then have been a couple of 64-bit compatibility problems from vendors who claim Win 7 64-bit compatibility but (and also according to their forums) don't necessarily deliver it!  And I still can't get the XPS document writer to work for me!  In other words, known problems.  Everything else is stable and works remarkably efficiently.

Many thanks for the interest Bob.

By the way, is this happening in Win 7 32-bit host environments as well?  Just curious...

Steve

It happens on Win 7 sp1 32-bit host environments as well.

/Peter

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:48 AM
  • I have the same. I bet it has something to do with USB.

I have an application which communicates with a in house developed USB-device.

That device uses an old cypress usb-chip. we use the old 32bit USB driver ezusb.sys. Hence the try to use XP-mode.

Somewhere in the app/driver the whole VM freezes until a mousemove or keypress.

I wrote a little python script which continuously sends messages (cntl keypress) to all windows (win32gui.EnumWindows).

it also prints i+=1 to see if it runs.

When I run this in the VM, that script freezes as well, so that doesn't help a lot.

When i run this script on the Host, it doesn't help either. because the keypress is sent to the VM main window only, which is apparently not enough.

This is confirmed by grabbing the VM window at the titlebar and move around. That doesn't wake up the VM.

It really needs a mouse movement over the window canvas.

Similar, when run in XP-mode (not the actual VM started) the visible window is not found (also not as a child).

but grabbing that window does wake it up. (the window gets a message)

Maybe i'll write something which automatically moves the mouse over the window or something, i don't know

opening and closing another window also wakes up the VM, the canvas will be redrawn.

(IBM thinkCentre i5 750)

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Interesting, thanks for the posts everyone.  All very strange and I
    can't think of anything that would cause that yet, but we may figure
    it out yet.

Are the other people having this problem using any USB devices?  And
    if so, can you try without the USB device connected to see if it still
    has the problem and also try disabling the integration components
    temporarily to see if that makes a difference?

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Bob,

I am not using any USB device, except for the Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse.

Not sure how I can reproduce the issue without any (USB) mouse at all!

Thanks

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:21 PM
  • The mouse is handled a different way, so that wouldn't be the problem.
    Can you try disabling the integration components temporarily to see if
    that makes a difference?

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I can try, but I don't know how to disable them!

Could you summarize how to do it

Thanks

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Just pull down the tools menu and select "Disable integration
    features" menu item.  Then to reenable them, it's the same tools menu
    and "Enable integration features."

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:10 PM
  • I disabled the integration components... but then I realized that the tests I used to run to reproduce the problem both needed access to the host hard drive. As there are no integration features, the host hard drive is not accesible, so I cannot retest.

I did try a virus scan of the VM host drive, and the problem did not appear. However, as this is not the same test as before, I cannot tell for sure if the problem is there or not.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Interesting.  Have you turned off tcp offloading for you NIC on the
    host?  There's a performance issue where it gets very slow throughput
    and it might be related to your problem.  It's a good thing to turn
    off for disk performance sake the way Windows Virtual PC is right
    now..

To turn off TCP offloading: (from another message of mine in this
    forum)

There's two ways to do it, go into hardware manager, select your NIC
    and right click, then properties, and select the Advanced tab.  Turn
    off any of the options that mention "Offloading"

Or you can turn it off system-wide by editing the registry:

Use at your own risk and only if you are comfortable with editing the
    registry!

To turn off TCP Offloading, add a DWORD value in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters

label it  DisableTaskOffload , and change the value to 1, then reboot.

Turning off offloading helps with the virtual machine's networking
    throughput between the host and the guest.

You could also try connecting the network drive another way than the
    shared drives via Windows Virtual PC, using the net use command and
    the UNC path if you're game to try.

I wish I could reproduce the problem so I could figure out what's
    going on and turn it in to Microsoft.  Maybe with enough hints I can
    get it to do it...

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Turned off TCP offloading in both ways.

no improvement.

100% reproducible, VM freezes.

I live with it by moving my mouse. in automated scripts I minimize/maximize constantly.

I couldn't find a message that wakens the VM.

in python from the host:

XP mode dosbox : hwnd = win32gui.FindWindow(None, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe (Remote)")

running on VM: hwnd = win32gui.FindWindowEx(0, 0, 0, "Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC")

win32gui.ShowWindow(hwnd, win32con.SW_MINIMIZE )

win32gui.ShowWindow(hwnd, win32con.SW_SHOWNORMAL )   

strange enough the following doesn't work:

win32api.SendMessage(hwnd, win32con.WM_KEYDOWN, win32con.VK_RETURN, 0)

while a real enterpress works!

Anyway, not nice, but fine for now.

best regards,

Clemens

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Found something:

It doesn't happen when i don't make use of the virtual hard disks.

From my scripts I make use of a mapped hd to \\tsclient\D.

When I don't use that, the VM doesn't freeze.

Integration features are still enabled.

Mapped hd's still in place, but just not accessed while communicating with USB device.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Clemens.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:20 PM
  • >Turned off TCP offloading in both ways.

Thanks for testing that!

Can you tell me what kind of NIC you have?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Cool, I think we're zeroing in on something.

For those others that are having the problem, is it when you're access
    the \\tsclient shares too?

>From my scripts I make use of a mapped hd to \\tsclient\D.

Can you try a traditional "net use x: \\[host name]\[partition share
    name]" and see if it still acts the same?  I want to see if it's the
    modified RDP client having the problem (I suspect it is now), or the
    networking itself.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:56 PM
  • My NIC: Intel(R) 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection

when i type net use, i get

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 V:        \\TSCLIENT\D              Microsoft Terminal Services
                           \\TSCLIENT\C              Microsoft Terminal Services
                           \\TSCLIENT\D              Microsoft Terminal Services
                           \\TSCLIENT\F              Microsoft Terminal Services
                           \\TSCLIENT\G              Microsoft Terminal Services
                           \\TSCLIENT\T              Microsoft Terminal Services
                           \\TSCLIENT\Z              Microsoft Terminal Services

as you can see, i have mapped V to my host' D drive.

i couln't get it to work, the net use. some networking problems.

if only i had some time....

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:58 PM
  •  
    >i couln't get it to work, the net use. some networking problems.

You probably have to actually create the share on the host - Windows 7
    doesn't present any by default.

>if only i had some time....

I appreciate the time you have put into this, it's become somewhat of
    a challenge for me. <g>

One question -- you say you're using the host drive, what size files
    are we talking about and which way is the communication?  (reading the
    host drive, or writing, or both...)

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:13 PM
  • >My NIC: Intel(R) 82578DM Gigabit Network Connection

Not too much different than what I have on my laptop that I'm trying
    to recreate the problem with -- it's an 82577LM, so that probably
    isn't the problem.

What video card do you have?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:18 PM
  • ok, i got it working.

indeed the problem goes away when i map a shared drive using the net use command!

I am running the very small pythonscript from the mapped driveletter (= host),

i also pass data (around 100k) from host to VM. and the script also generates logfiles on that shared disk of around 0,5 MB

I can try to simplify my scripts to see if i can generate the problem in an easy way.

my videocard: NVIDIA GeForce 310

cheers,

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:28 PM
  • >indeed the problem goes away when i map a shared drive using the net use command!

It sure is pointing to either RDP or your video driver, in combination
    with Windows VPC. 

>i also pass data (around 100k) from host to VM. and the script also generates logfiles on that shared disk of around 0,5 MB

So continuously open files?

>my videocard: NVIDIA GeForce 310

I also have an NVIDIA card, but a 3100m version.  That might be a
    piece of the puzzle.

Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know when I hear anything.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:40 PM
  • I've only got mouse, keyboard and printer as USB devices - all three work fine through the VM.

BUT, I do (did now!) have a bunch of mapped drives from the host.  I've just turned them all off under Tools\Settings... (select Integration Features in the left pane of the dialogue that pops up and uncheck them all in the right pane).  I don't need them any more as I transferred any required bulk data to the VHDs when this problem first cropped up -  freezing was wrecking bulk transfers from a host drive to a VHD.   I mounted any VHDs in the host using Computer\Manage... Disk Management... Action\Attach VHD and did any bulk transfers there - nice and quick too.

Oops!  I made the changes and restarted XP Mode while I was writing this (a restart is needed for the drive-mapping changes to take effect).  Having no further use for it, I shutdown the VM and it's hung in the pop-up progress window Shutting down the virtual machine...  Having a quick look using Sysinternals shows:

Thread msvcrt.dll!beginthreadex+0xd4 chewing 25% cpu

Threads vpc.exe+0x28cb38 & ntdll.dll!TpIsTimerSet+0x7c0 getting a little cpu.

Looking at the Stack for thread msvcrt.dll!beginthreadex+0xd4 shows ntdll.dll!ZwWaitForMultipleObjects+0xa at the top.

Managed to kill it by clicking the close button for that pop-up progress window and selecting Turn Off in the options.

And everything had been going so well with it!  Ah well...

I'll let you know if the problem goes away.

Thanks again for the help Bob ☼☼☼

Steve

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Interesting!  I'm not sure it's related to the other problem, but it
    could be.

What kind of video card do you have?

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Hello Bob,

The 'some operations' part I mentioned in my April 7, 2011 post above is all done using mapped network connections.

Net use

E:        \\TSCLIENT\C              Microsoft Terminal Services
                 S:        \\TSCLIENT\S              Microsoft Terminal Services
                 T:        \\TSCLIENT\S              Microsoft Terminal Services
                 X:        \\TSCLIENT\X              Microsoft Terminal Services

My video card is an Nvidia Quadro FX 570.

Thanks,  Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Interesting!  It's fitting the pattern...

--
    Bob Comer

On Wed, 4 May 2011 16:43:54 +0000, RichB_energy wrote:

>
    >
    >Hello Bob,
    >
    >The 'some operations' part I mentioned in my April 7, 2011 post above is all done using mapped network connections.
    >
    >Net use
    >
    >Status       Local     Remote                    Network
    >
    >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >             E:        \\TSCLIENT\C              Microsoft Terminal Services
    >             S:        \\TSCLIENT\S              Microsoft Terminal Services
    >             T:        \\TSCLIENT\S              Microsoft Terminal Services
    >             X:        \\TSCLIENT\X              Microsoft Terminal Services
    >
    >My video card is an Nvidia Quadro FX 570.
    >
    >Thanks,  Rich.
    >

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Hello Bob,

Inside the VM, I clicked on 'My Computer', then 'Tools', and then disconnected all network drives.

Then I started a batch file with the following:

net use * /DELETE

net use S: \\tsclient\S
    net use T: \\tsclient\S\Data
    s:
    mc.exe

This used the 'net use' command to connect to the two network drives and then changed to the S: drive and started the program 'mc.exe'.  As before, running a long operation required waving the mouse (or holding the ctrl key, thanks for that).

I'm running Win 7 64 bit Professional and am logged into a Win XP domain.  We are running Win Server 2003 32 bit on our network.

Just some more information for you!

Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:17 PM
  • >net use S: \\tsclient\S
    >net use T: \\tsclient\S\Data

I think the key is to not use the tsclient shares, but to create a
    normal share on your host and map a network drive to it.

On the host, do in a command prompt that is ran as administrator:

NET SHARE S=s:\
    NET SHARE T=s:\data\

then it probably would be best to turn of drive sharing in the
    settings for the VM, and once that's done, do this in the VM from a
    command prompt:

NET USE S: \\[host name]\S
    NET USA T: \\[host name\T

and try your test this way.  (with [host name] replaced by the host
    PC's name)

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I also tried using SUBST instead of net use.  Using SUBST I was able to get working connections to the network drives, but the longer operation still required mouse waving or holding the ctrl key.

Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I opened a command prompt in Win 7 on my host PC, switched to the S: drive, and entered:

S:\>net share S=S:\

and it gave me this:

>>The device or directory does not exist.

>>More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2116

I guess I'm missing something?

Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:15 PM
  • It's just whatever partition your trying to share.  I just used S
    because that's what you had for the tsclient share...

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I also tried:

net share S$=S:\

net share Sdrive=S:\

net share T=S:\Data

all with the same error message.

I'm going through the steps to follow your instructions:

"then it probably would be best to turn of drive sharing in the
    settings for the VM, and once that's done, do this in the VM from a
    command prompt:"

I'll let you know what happens.
    Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hello Bob,

turning off drive sharing in Integration Features didn't help, I still get the same error with Net Share.

Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Where is the data on your host drive?  (what drive letter?)  Then I
    can adjust my instructions to fit you.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Hello Bob,

here's 'net use' from Win 7, my host PC:

OK           S:        \\DataSrv\InMass             Microsoft Windows Network
    OK           T:        \\DataSrv\InMass\Data     Microsoft Windows Network

As part of the script to log into our domain, these drives are setup.

here's 'net share' from Win 7, my host PC:

Share name   Resource                                               Remark
    C$                   C:\                                                     Default share                    
    IPC$                                                                         Remote IPC                       
    print$            C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers         Printer Drivers                  
    ADMIN$       C:\Windows                                             Remote Admin                     
    The command completed successfully.

Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Ah, so the data isn't even on your host PC.

So forget about the net share on the host that I told you about and
    map the S: and T: drives directly in the VM using

NET USE S: \\DataSrv\InMass
    NET USE T: \\DataSrv\InMass\Data

And see if that makes any difference when running the app.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I changed the net use command in the VM to your suggestion, it asked for a user name and password which is needed to log into the server.  I entered the user/pw to log into the server, but it threw an error.

I could try adding the share to the server, if you think that will help?

Thanks,  Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hello All,

Can you please try to install the following hotfix in the XP guest OS

This update should resolve the file copy issue between host and guest 

Thanks,

Ankit Oberoi

Ankito
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:21 PM
  • >I changed the net use command in the VM to your suggestion, it asked for a user name and password which is needed to log into the server.  I entered the user/pw to log into the server, but it threw an error.

If your host is domain joined and XP Mode isn't, that might be a
    problem. Is that the case? Or if the host isn't domain joined, then
    you should key in the user ID and password of the host when you do the
    net use command.  What's the error it throws?

>I could try adding the share to the server, if you think that will help?

Probably not, it's probably an authentication problem.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Hello Bob,

Interesting.  The XP Mode VM is not currently logging into the domain.  We'll try that tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,  Rich.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hello Ankito,

I installed the hotfix into the XP mode guest OS,
    but the problem was not fixed...

Thanks.

---
    Nobunaka

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Long time to reply, but the original was sent around 2:00 am local time...

My video card is an Inno GTX460.

Haven't had much time since (sleep, etc) to play with the VM and see if the problem's gone.

I now have no mapped host drives (never tried one across the network that the host's attached to) only VHDs .

Will keep you posted.  Just a little tricky to see if the problem's resolved due to its (very) intermittent occurence on my PC.

Thanks,

Steve

Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:07 AM
  • >My video card is an Inno GTX460.

All the people with the problem have NVIDIA's so far, though it's not
    universal as I have an NVIDIA but don't have the problem.

>Will keep you posted.  Just a little tricky to see if the problem's resolved due to its (very) intermittent occurence on my PC.

Thanks!

Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:35 PM
  • >All the people with the problem have NVIDIA's so far, though it's not
      universal as I have an NVIDIA but don't have the problem.

Not true, my card is the internal Intel HD adapter on a Intel DQ67sw motherboard and it does not work.

I am trying to compile code in a XP Mode virtual machine using visual build and visual studio 2003 from a \\tsclient share.

The issue is definitely associated with accessing files over a \\tsclient\* share.
    I have tested the following:
    Building from
    \\tsclient\c, does not work without mouse movements.
    Building from
    \\host\c$, works but terribly slow, I tried to turn off the offloading function on the host and the guest. Both in the registry and on the adapter but it is still slow.
    Building from the guests local C: works, but not a solution we can use.

/Peter

Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:33 PM
  • >Not true, my card is the internal Intel HD adapter on a Intel DQ67sw motherboard and it does not work.

That's good to know that it's not just NVIDIA.

>The issue is definitely associated with accessing files over a \\tsclient\* share.

That looks like that's the case.

>Building from \\host\c$, works but terribly slow, I tried to turn off the offloading function on the host and the guest. Both in the registry and on the adapter but it is still slow.

Interesting.  It really should be that slow if TCP offloading is
    turned off.  Did you do a reboot of the host before testing the speed?
    You don't have to worry about turning it off in the guest anyway, it's
    only the host that has an effect like that.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 4:36 PM
  • > Did you do a reboot of the host before testing the speed?

Yes, I will do some more TCP offloading testing and reading tomorrow .

/Peter

Thursday, May 05, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I spent some time trying to log into the domain from within the VM, but no luck.  Our normal logon script for Win 7 maps several of the network drives to drive letters, but not the primary domain controller.  The result is the VM doesn't have access to the non-mapped PDC server, so game over.  I'm going to stop trying the domain login attempt.

BTW, I do have this hotfix installed.

Rich.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:33 PM
  • > Interesting.  It really should be that slow if TCP offloading is turned off.
    My mistake, it seems as the Intel NIC driver did not work as it should, after installing the latest driver package from Intel it actually works:-)
    /Peter
    Friday, May 06, 2011 11:36 AM
  • I see you understood that I meant shouldn't, not should.  Good to hear
    it helped!

Friday, May 06, 2011 12:57 PM
  • I can confirm:

-> TCP offload turned off -> speed increased a LOT.

(But I am not sure if it is still needed since i don't use //tsclient anymore. Does it affect the tunneled USB device speed as well?)

-> Access over LAN to host harddisk in stead of using //tsclient -> never a freeze anymore.

I haven't installed the hotfix.

its all working like a dream now.

I do loose my usb device once in a while. I then have to attach it again.

Don't know why. Might be me.

-> Huge fan of automating that, but I've seen that in another topic. I assume MS is on that..

Thanks a lot Bob,

clemens

Friday, May 06, 2011 2:53 PM
  • -> TCP offload turned off -> speed increased a LOT.

(But I am not sure if it is still needed since i don't use //tsclient anymore. Does it affect the tunneled USB device speed as well?)

You definitely want to leave it disabled, it's a general Windows VPC
    issue with communications between the host and guest.  I always
    disable it these days on everything as a lot of different software has
    problems with it.

-> Access over LAN to host harddisk in stead of using //tsclient -> never a freeze anymore.

Cool!

I think that was a bit of a wild goose chase of an older RDP
    problem...

I do loose my usb device once in a while. I then have to attach it again.

Don't know why. Might be me.

I don't know why that would be happening, but you could possibly
    script reattaching it if it becomes disconnected.

Thanks a lot Bob,

You're welcome, glad to help!

Friday, May 06, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I'm not familiar with 'TCP offloading'.  Could you summarize how/where to disable it?

Let me know and I'll check to see if disabling it affects the 'mouse waving' issue with \\tsclient\...

Rich.

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:03 PM
  • >I'm not familiar with 'TCP offloading'.  Could you summarize how/where to disable it?

One of the messages earlier in this thread describes how to turn it
    off.  I don't think it will help for this particular problem without
    not using the \\tsclient shares, it's more of a general networking
    "fix"

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Hello Bob,

I found your earlier message about offloading, that was clear enough.

I changed the host settings, rebooted the host and went to start the XP VM to check things out.

It wanted a user and password, but I couldn't get past that. 

I searched the forum and found a post about the same problem, caused by changing the VM computer name.  I changed the VM computer name while trying to login into the domain.  I posted a reply to that posting, hoping for a solution.

I'm afraid I'll have to delete the whole VM and start over, but I'll wait to see what response my post receives.

Oh well, try to fix one thing and something else breaks......  and no, I didn't have a backup copy.

Hopefully other users won't try the domain login thing, at least not without making a backup copy of the VM.

Rich.

Friday, May 06, 2011 8:47 PM
  • >Oh well, try to fix one thing and something else breaks...... 

It happens all the time with computers unfortunately!  I really don't
    know the answer to your domain / password problem...

Friday, May 06, 2011 8:51 PM
  • >Can you please try to install the following hotfix in the XP guest OS

>This update should resolve the file copy issue between host and guest
    I have installed the hotfix.
    The issue was not fixed.
    Thanks
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 3:08 PM
  • My video card is an Asus GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3.

I am using one of the 2 onboard NICs.

I have only been able to reproduce the issue when I make use of the virtual hard disks.

Thanks

Saturday, May 07, 2011 3:21 PM
  • >To turn off TCP offloading:

(...)

>Or you can turn it off system-wide by editing the registry
    I have turned TCP offloading off by editing the registry.
    The issue was not fixed.
    Thanks,
    Francisco
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Bob,

Following your instructions,

1. On the host, I did in a command prompt that was ran as administrator:

NET SHARE C=c:\           (my host system disk)
    NET SHARE D=d:\          (my host data disk)
    (I got a message that both host drives were successfully shared)
    2. I turned off drive sharing for both disks in the
    settings for the VM, and once done, I did this in the VM from a
    command prompt:

NET USE X: \\[host name]\C
    NET USA Y: \\[host name\D
    (both commands successful).
    I could then see both drives as X: and Y: in the VM
    I ran my standard tests, by accessing multiple files in the host drives from the VM, and they failed again. After some time, activity stopped if I did not move the mouse.
    (Note: TCP offloading was still on)
    I think this is all I had to test so far. If there is anything else to do, please let me know.
    Thanks for your help
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 5:11 PM
  • I can't think of anything at the moment.  I guess that isn't as good a
    workaround as I thought. 

Saturday, May 07, 2011 5:57 PM
  • The workaround is to use a local copy of files in Virtual PC instead of accessing them directly via \\tsclient\C\
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hello Bob, 

I found this thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/fd336ac5-bee3-435b-9a8a-005d8104ca60

and near the bottom, the posting by Bhavin solved my issue quickly and easily. 

Rich.

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Congratulations.

Now we just need a magic fix like that to fix the OP issue!!

Francisco (OP)

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:10 PM
  • I'm experiencing this same problem with Virtual XP. Using "Process Explorer", I changed the priority of "VPC.exe" to "Above Normal". This seems to have helped a lot. Although it has made my Windows 7 a little sluggish . . .
    • Proposed as answer by bruceuncle Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bruceuncle Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:47 AM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 8:49 PM
  • In XP Mode, I've dropped all mapped drives to the host and that has permanently cured the problem.

A bit of a shame as it was very convenient to pull needed work files off the Win 7 host where my email and everything else is.  However, file exchange is easy (if somewhat of a pain) if you just attach your XP Mode Virtual Hard Drive(s) (VHD(s)) using Disk Manager under Computer/Management. 

Step by step in Win 7 for any newbies:

1. Log in as an Administrator.
    2. Click on Start.
    3. Find Computer in the list on the right and right-click it to get a pop-up menu.
    4. Select Manage (you'll need to be an Administrator to use it)
    5. In the Computer Mangement Console window that opens, select Show/Hide Console Tree on the toolbar if the window is not already split into two panes.
    6. Select and expand Storage in the tree view in the left-hand pane.
    7. Select Disk Management and wait while it catalogues your disk(s).
    8. From the menu bar select Action and Attach VHD.
    9. A dialogue will open asking to specify where the VHD is located.
    10. Click on the Browse... button and go find the VHD file.
    11. Click OK and optionally, if you want to play safe until you're sure of what you're doing, check the Read-only box.
    12. Voila!  The VHD will now appear as a drive in Windows Explorer.
    13. Feel free to copy back and forth (or just copy from if you selected Read-only) just like a 'normal' drive.
    14. When you're through playing with it, you need to detach the VHD.  For some unknown reason (sic) Microsoft™ have made this completely unintuitive!  So carefully do the following:
    15. If you can't already see your disks as horizontal bar-chart-like displays (Graphical View) Select View and choose Top or Bottom, depending on whether you want it at the top or bottom of the window, then check the Graphical View option.
    16. The Graphical View for each disk is displayed as a rectangle on the left with Disk number, etc in it and a bar display on the right giving the details of the partitions on the disk.
    17. Right-click on that left-hand rectangle and choose Detach VHD.  I've been unable to find this option anywhere else - menu bar or a right-click on the disk in either view doesn't show it.
    18. A dialogue opens asking you to confirm the action, and a check-box if you want to also delete the VHD!  Thankfully, the box is un-checked by defaut, but it strikes me as strange why the option's there at all when a better context would be in the XP Mode Virtual PC Settings Manager...
    19. Anyway, click OK and job's done.

I've got no idea whether a VHD can be safely mounted and un-mounted like this while XP Mode is running.  It would be useful if it could be, but I haven't set up a test environment to try it out yet.  I wouldn't recommend trying it youself unless you've got complete backups and the time to restore if it all falls in a messy heap.  Anyone got any feedback on that?

Steve

Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:27 AM
  • Just in case anyone thinks this problam is caused by a third-party driver or someone elses software, I found a way to demo the issue which is pure Microsoft. Install XP Mode and set up a share from the guest that looks like this when you type in NET USE: z: \\tsclient\c Then go into the guest's Windows Explorer; expand to find this entry in the Folder List ( c on 'Tsclient'(Z:) ). Right-Click it; choose Properties; and check (or uncheck) the 'Allow Indexing Service .....' box. Click Apply and choose the Subfolders and Files option and click OK. Then watch. It'll either proceed with no problem or halt and wait for mouse movement or a key to be pressed. I've spent about a month trying to solve this and finally found the right thread and the right people who might help. I have a career and a small business that will be furthered very nicely if this is resolved. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, Walt Flack
    • Edited by aptdatacorp Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Thanks for your input, Walt. It is one evidence that the issue lies with Microsoft.

I agree that this might be the place where the right people can fix it. But this is surely a tricky one, because I started the thread back in January and 107 replies + 7530 Views later (including MS entries) and we still not have a solution.

Francisco.

ps. Steve, it is good you found a solution that works for you. Unfortunately, I need the mapped drives, so dropping them is not an option for me

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Thanks for the input Walt.  It seems that any long-running process (setting subfolder attributes recursively in this case) which would not usually result in the user waving the mouse around, triggers the problem.  In my case it was unattended backups and a few long-running compiles.

Your example would appear to be a 'repeatable' that Microsoft™ should be able to use.

Sorry to hear it's no use to you Francisco.  My ugly workaround is no fix for users nor for emulation of more complex networked environments.  It just allows me to keep working on a few things I have to maintain in XP as that's my client's native environment.  So I still couldn't recommend XP Mode to clients thinking of migrating to Windows 7.

What about it Microsoft™?  This is really dragging on and on in an area where I would have thought the prevalence of legacy XP application environments might have spurred some more immediate action.  If my own requirements for an XP environment weren't so simple, I'd have had to invest in a separate XP box just to do the job.

Steve

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:34 AM
  • After trying a dozen things to fix the paused-unless-mouse-is-moving problem in Virtual PC, I gave up and set up a new Windows XP SP3 machine under Oracle VM VirtualBox. Problem solved! http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html VirtualBox does not appear to want to pass keyboard and mouse input to virtual machines originally set up under Microsoft Virtual PC, so I did have to set up a new one from scratch.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Hi everybody!

I got the same problem on my pc at work. First I didn't care too much, but by last week my mainboard got changed and the problem disappeared, but insted of that the wpff_fontcache_v4000.exe used 100% of the CPU all the time. This made the usage of the computer nearly impossible and so, after some research on the net, i turned the service off, which solved the problem of the 100% CPU usage, but the problem with the mouse movement appeared again.

So I think that (at least on this computer) the problem of the mouse movement has to do with the Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 4.0.0.0 service.

Hope this helps.

Stephan

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Same problem here too. Finally got XP Mode installed; however Files and Setting Transfer Wizard froze in new XP Mode within a couple of seconds - mouse movement caused some resumption but the FSTW closed with an error (since it couldn't deal with the lack of processing)and the unhelpful comment 'Check available disk space'. Used an external hard drive via USB which FSTW insisted in using as tsClient\G, the file was about 14.5 GB. Solved the transfer problem by 'drag & drop'of the file through My Computer windows from the external HD to the Virtual HD and then using FSTW on the Virtual HD file.

Problems continue - Windows Backup of Windows 7 which took about 3-4 hours yesterday, and erratic processing in other software installed in XP Mode.

Use of Windows Backup in XP Mode is limited by the fact that it demands the use of a 3 1/2" floppy disk when doing a full backup.

I could go on but I won't. I might try dropping the mapped drives for a start.

Peter

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:46 PM
  • Same problem here too.  (Is there an echo in here?  :-) )

In my case I'm forced to use XP Mode because Canon choose not to release a Windows 7 driver for my perfectly good USB scanner (grrr).  It's pretty much the only thing I use XP mode for regularly.  And infuriating because I depend on tsclient shares for it to save the scanned files somewhere on the host system where I can actually use them.  What happens is the scan operation completes fine, but unless I sit there and wave the mouse around the resulting files are never generated.  And if I don't do that quick enough it times out, and can no longer access the scanner, which I then have to virtually detach and reattach.

Annihilannic

• Proposed as answer by WhyThat Friday, January 18, 2013 3:23 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:08 AM
  • Hi Annihilannic, and all other contributors, with great thanks to everybody...

I hope you'll read this one day 'echo' in this thread deserted since 10 months... No, you're not alone at all : plenty people still encounter this problem, but most of them give up very soon, others insist by searching on the Web, most of them vainly, result : through all the diverse sifters, only a very very few arrive here, and most of them ascertain what you did, and pass off still wandering about aimlessly... Thanks Annihilannic to wake up this place !

At first, I prefer once for all to get rid of 'nasty' considerations about MS intentions. Why should MS invest in any way on XP (and 'XP Mode'), when after Vista and '7' it tries to impose '8' and, doing so, when it fixes its ultimate limit to XP support to 2014 ? At least, MS has allways presented 'XP Mode' only as a transition (for getting out of XP). Well, looking at the (XP Mode) deliberately unresolved users problems encountered once new MS OS bought, once more these users feel really tricked... but continue with their new OS !

Let's come back to our freezing problem. If you're still there, Annihilannic, in next few days, I'll post two contributions, one on my own case, wich looks exactly like others with the 'bonus' of a program wich encounters systematically this problem, and perhaps an other (that I wish not too lengthy) about the general aspects of this (kind of) problem, and its resolution attempts (notably here).

WhyThat         ( PS: Sorry for the "Answer Proposal" mistake : I ignored its signification... )

• Edited by WhyThat Friday, January 18, 2013 3:43 PM
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:29 PM
  • - Here's my case. At first, its background: installation of an MSI-GT780 (I7,quad,8gb) with a large SSD (for W7 C:, and other read accessed datas), a 512gb 7200rpm usual HD (for all the rest, among wich a W7 W: containing all the highly used files, ie. W7 pagefile, index, logs, temp, but also the XPM VHD and the XPM virtual memory files) and, like most of us, a GeForce (Gtx 560M).

- Starting with XP Mode, at first I'd nothing to notice except the slowness of all non-XPM-C: disk I/Os (those accessed through TSClient). But when I tried one of my programs, a VB6 executable converting both ways a file into another one, it worked perfectly with files on XPM C:, but otherwise freezed INSTANTLY, except when moving the mouse. Even the Cancel button needed this shaking to achieve. Thanks Kris for Ctl touch instead.
                                -------------------------
    - At first, I was unable to produce any freezing with standard tools, neither by copying large files or large directories of small, neither by a rapid or slow antivirus scanning of them (Avast), and this in all the cases between 3 areas: XPM C:, usual HD and SSD W7 partitions accessed through TSClient.

- In fact, I encountered once a strange case which I have never been able  to reproduce.
           Under XPM at the end of a file copy in the same directory (duplication), once the Copy
           dialog closed, Windows Explorer did not show me the new copy. I was going to refresh (F5),
           but leaving the mouse  I moved it a bit and the Copy appeared... Furthermore, any click in
           Windows Explorer needed a mouse move (or Ctl touch) to be considered. Quite strange!...

- The second anomaly I noticed, and which I reproduce this time systematically, is freezing during a simple file (classical, without index) research. If it happened episodically in some of the most loaded structures, it happens 'nearly' each time I search in some few other places. For example: //tsclient/C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution . I should suppose that you should encounter the same, but not sure, since that place is on a SSD, and that I know now that this context does not allways give the same results as on an HD, which means that, INDEPEDENTLY of TSClient slowness, the freezing effect may depend of varying I/O times...

- Of course, I wondered why in some particular places, but the strings shown during the
           research were truncated. Just once or two, I did see  strings ending with ".zip",  but did not
           find any ".zip" files there with W7 research ! Looking a little bit more into this directory, I saw
           some  folders were protected. With no more time free for the moment, I left that  aspect on the
           side, but I still wonder about W7 security mechanisms, and globally about security, through XPM !?... 
    - Now, let say how my converter program (renamed "Freezer" ;) is a bit special. The main treatment consumes a lot of processor, but only interferes with the environment by updating (refreshing) the progress bar, and exiting on Cancel. It also manages, at its two ends, the input and output flow using only asynchronous I/Os in // to him. These 2 ASYNCHRONOUS I/Os are the only conceivable reasons to transform my program in such a Freezer !...

- Looking further with SysInternals ProcExp, with Input and Output files on XPM C:, my Freezer program worked perfectly, consuming about 98%, ProcExp about 2% and crumbs for Interrupts. On a medium sized input, it needed about 3 seconds to complete. When any (one or both) of the files were not on XPM C: (ie. accessed through TSClient), ProcExp profile of my "Freezer", when moving mouse or with <ctl> key down, is completely different ( but as since ProcExp is also frozen, we may ask ourself if it is the reality of the last instants before freezing? ) :
            System Idle Process : .............. 23% (all numbers are approximations)
            System : ............................... 14%
             Interrupts : .......................... 15%
                SvcHost : ............................ 3%
                VMSrvc.exe : ..................... 31%
                "Freezer.exe" : .................. 12%
                ProcExp.exe : ...................... 2%

- Nota : My "Freezer" lapse ratio (approximately about 900 seconds over 3 ) does not correspond to the inverse ratio of processor ( about 98% over 12% ), so it must be wasting most processor time waiting I/Os ! I know I should take the opportunity to rewrite this old stuff, but I have not enough time to do it now...

- Testing that program, I encountered several other problems, but none could be surely reproduced. In fact, TSClient seem to provoke these problems "rather erraticly" :

- Several times, with ProcExp I noticed that, after having clicked on Cancel and waited for
           it to react, then took the main dialog Freezer's exit, the process was still there running
           without a single change in ProcExp CP % profile, until I killed it via a XPM ctl+alt+del,
           just to be sure Task Manager was stating the same than ProcExp. That behaviour made me
           think to the upper Windows Explorer Copy problem: not really finished once finished.

- I'll skip over another interesting but occasional behaviour, even if I  could a long time
           reproduce it systematically across restarts of ProcExp and my own program. In fact, at
           the moment of reporting it here, I tried a last time, but could not manage to reproduce it
           anymore. Anyhow, I stay convinced of what I noticed : the speed difference between
           usual HD and SSD could impact freezing or not.

- At that stage, I tink that TSClient is effectively responsible, but the processor bad usage and the freezing mechanism are rather located, as valtih1978 said and as SMD proved to himself, in the Windows Events Dispatch loop. Avoiding TSClient may shunt all these problems, but may perhaps cause other issues, and on the other hand, XPM Windows Dispatch loop seems a bit unstable and candidate to stuck in the same way under other circumstances.
    - People seem to have abandon this thread once they had found the solution of discarding TSClient by changing 'net shares'. May be I'll do also, may be not because I'm not sure that both are equivalent, and wonder about security aspects. It would have been great if anyone had explained to us exhaustively the differences between TSClient or not, with both solutions conditions and impacts...

WhyThat

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:57 PM