none
Command line to Windows Activation in Win7

Question

• I have configured an unattend.xml for sysprep and I can't see how I've managed to make it skip asking for the product key (I suspect it's skipping the machine OOBE, but it forces me to add a user, and I don't want to add one), so to make life easier all I want to know is, what commandline can I use to bring up the Windows Activation screen that asks you to enter the product key, the one you can access going into System in the control panel and selecting change product key.

I figure it would be easier making it pop up on the first logon through the unattend.xml but I need to know the command line to run it.

Please please please, do not refer me to the slmgr.vbs, It needs to run through GUI and want it automated as much as possible.)

Thanks

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:13 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You should be able to bring up the Activation Wizard by running SLUI.exe.( Software Licensing User Interface).

Since this is the GUI interface there are not too many options for automation, most of those automation options are for commandline.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    • Marked as answer by idrinktea Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Hi, as Dartell said, slui.exe is the UI that runs when you want to activate windows through the system control panel.

Just a small fyi, you do not need to skip MachineOOBE per-se, if you specify to create a user account in the unattend.xml that has the exact name as an already existing user account, this step will be ommited from the Windows out of the box experience. (the Built-in administrator account works for this same purpose as well)

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :) http://www.stephan-schwarz.net
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You should be able to bring up the Activation Wizard by running SLUI.exe.( Software Licensing User Interface).

Since this is the GUI interface there are not too many options for automation, most of those automation options are for commandline.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Hi, as Dartell said, slui.exe is the UI that runs when you want to activate windows through the system control panel.

Just a small fyi, you do not need to skip MachineOOBE per-se, if you specify to create a user account in the unattend.xml that has the exact name as an already existing user account, this step will be ommited from the Windows out of the box experience. (the Built-in administrator account works for this same purpose as well)

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer". If a post contained helpfull information, please be so kind to click on the "Vote as helpful" button :) http://www.stephan-schwarz.net
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Thank you for this I really appreciate it. :)
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Thank you for this I really appreciate it. :)
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:27 AM