none
When are services loaded?

Question

• I am trying to speed up windows 7 logon times and I need to know when exactly are servcies loaded, e.g. Macafee, SmartCard, etc.  Are services loaded after logon or just before logon?  Is there a way to get them to load before a user logs on to windows 7 and vice versa?
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 7 boot sequence is BIOSàMBRàBootmgràBCDàWinload.exeàKernel loading, and most service is loaded after user logon. Especial for programs.

If you want to speed up windows 7 logon time, the best way is to configure msconfig.exe and disable third part program on startup.

And this article may helpful to you:

http://lifehacker.com/5645098/make-windows-load-your-desktop-before-you-log-in

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:04 AM
  • I appreciate the reply.  What I really need to know is how to tell what services are loaded pre-logon and after the user logs in.  The image that I am referring to is already streamlined and hardened so I am trying to squeeze even more performance out of the OS.  I welcome all "out of the box" ideas but the basic ones have been covered.  Basically the setup is that we don't really care how long the OS takes to load up to the logon screen we are trying to perhaps offload logon time to the boot up time so that when a user actually puts in their name/pass the OS will load quickly.  To put it another way; if it takes 3 minutes from power button to the desktop but two of those minutes are after the user puts in their credential what I would like to do is perhaps make it 30 seconds after the credentials and 2.5 minutes pre logon.  I hope this clarifies the situation.

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my late reply.

I understand that you want to run applications before user login.

Please try these two KB:

How to Launch a Program Before the Shell at Logon

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142905

How to Run a Batch File Before Logging on to Your Computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243486

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:52 AM
  • No I have no desire to control the behavior of user applications before logon.  I want more granular control of services, more to the point generic services that every user loads.  I need a way to preload services and make sure services are exectuing before logon.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

You may try to create a script to run the services, these services are commanded to set manual or automatically:

http://www.computingunleashed.com/list-of-services-in-windows-7-that-can.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Then put the script to Windows 7 Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts(Startup\Shutdown)\startup, PC will run the script when PC startup before windows login.

Also there’s a similar thread may helpful to you:

How to start process in session before user logs on?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssecurity/thread/0d46cf4a-6e94-45bc-ac2c-f5b239b50c8b

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Hi,

Did your issue solved? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thanks.

Regards, 

Leo   Huang

Friday, September 30, 2011 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Thursday, October 06, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Thank you for your advice while trying to answer my question.  We decided to move in another direction for now and maybe come back to this issue in the future if our logon times are not adequate.  I feel that this resource on this issue may be exhausted so you may close the thread.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:38 PM