none
My Computer won't boot after installing SP3, not even in safe mode or last working configuration.

Question

•  

I tried to update my computer with SP3 and now it won't boot up in normal, safe mode or last working configuration. I can't find the disk that came with my computer. What can I do to fix this.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:37 PM

Answers

• This is a problem for anyone with an AMD processor. Without going into the gory details, here are some fix options:

HP solution for XP SP3 Restart Bug:

* Boot Computer in Safe Mode
    * Use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    * Right-click intelppm.sys and rename it to XXXintelppm.syx
    * Restart Windows

If the computer is unable to boot into safe mode do the following:

* Press F8 during startup and load the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
    * Type the number that corresponds to your Windows installation
    * Type cd c:\windows\system32\drivers at the command prompt
    * Type rename intelppm.sys XXXintelppm.syx
    * Restart Windows

The Microsoft fix for the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Restart Bug:

* Boot the Computer into Safe Mode
    * Press Windows R, type regedit, hit enter
    * Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
    * right-click the Start entry in the right pane and select modify
    * Enter 4 in the Value Data box
    * Close regedit, restart the computer

Finally, if you can't boot into Safe Mode, get to the Safe Mode option screen (F8), and hold F7 down when you select Safe Mode. That should get Safe Mode cooking for you.

Personally, I choose the regedit option - just be sure you follow the instructions exactly.

Happy computing!

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:37 AM

All replies

•  rebelgrish wrote:
    I tried to update my computer with SP3 and now it won't boot up in normal, safe mode or last working configuration.

What happens, exactly, when you try?  Describe all symptoms seen and all messages given.

What is the brand/make of PC?  Does it have an Intel or an AMD processor?

Have you tried the boot-menu option to disable automatic restarts?  Does it then give a blue-screen?  If so, what are the error numbers on the blue-screen?

Did you install SP3 via Windows Update, or did you download the stand-alone installer and execute that?

I can't find the disk that came with my computer. What can I do to fix this.

You could write to the manufacturers of the PC and ask for a replacement system disk.  If you cannot boot XP at all, then you are sunk without an alternative means of booting the PC in order to make changes on the hard disk.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:26 PM
  •  rebelgrish wrote:

I tried to update my computer with SP3 and now it won't boot up in normal, safe mode or last working configuration. I can't find the disk that came with my computer. What can I do to fix this.

Look again for your XP disk.  If you can't find it, can you borrow one?  If you can't borrow one you may need to pay someone to fix your computer.   

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I'm having the same issue... Just used the Windows downloader to download SP3 and my comp boots for about 5 seconds then asks to start safe mode.  None of the options work.. If I start windows normally, I get a flicker of a blue screen, safe mode just restarts.  Its fusterating... I do have an AMD and I tried repairing w/ my original disk, but I don't know how to restore through Dos Prompt... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... thx!
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:01 PM
  • RyanGuy,

At the boot menu which offers Safe Mode, select the option to disable automatic restarts, and then try to boot Windows.  This time, the system should stop on a blue screen with diagnostic messages and numbers, which you need to copy into a follow-up post.  The AMD processor might not be relevant until we see the error numbers.

What brand/make of PC is this?

Have you tried booting XP with all USB and FireWire devices disconnected from the system?

I tried repairing w/ my original disk, but I don't know how to restore through Dos Prompt

Doing a Repair Re-install does not involve use of the DOS prompt, so you were probably at the wrong place on the CD - maybe you went to the Recovery Console?  Anyway, do not consider doing a Repair Re-installation until we have verified that you cannot simply get the current system going again.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Thx For responding so fast Smile As for brand.. I made it... Asus board w/ AMD.. I put the Windows CD in and went to repair windows, it went to black screen and asked what OS I wanted to repair, I pressed 1 and enter and it gave me the C:\Windows\  

I'm trying to do a system restore from Dos but its not workin too well.. I didn't disconnect the stuff, but all I have are mouse, Keyboard, and Webcam.. I'll Disconnect the mouse and cam for now.. I haven't formated or anything and I'm not gunna as of yet... but not sure what to try next
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:18 PM
  • ohh and I couldnt do the disable the auto reboot... F8 brought up a boot list... I'll keep trying tho

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:28 PM
  • ok.. now when I start the comp w/ no CD in it... It goes to a windows setup screen and restarts... I can't even try to get it into safe mode... the CD is the only option I can do now w/ out it restarting. it says its windows installation CD sp1.. and I went t the dos prompt but can't run the C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe  Sad
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:35 PM
  • found a site that says to run "disable intelppm" from recovery counsole which I think I'm in...
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:43 PM
  • You cannot run rstrui.exe from a CD-boot. rstrui.exe requires a working XP installation, such as Safe Mode with command prompt.

It goes to a windows setup screen

That sounds as if you have already over-written the hard disk with the Windows setup program from the CD.  If so, the system on hard disk is now irrecoverable, and you are left with no option but to attempt a Repair Re-installation from CD.  If it is an SP1 CD, you will need to do the Repair Installation of SP1, then apply SP2, then apply SP3.  Applying SP3 directly to SP1 is not a supported route. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:51 PM
  •  RyanGuy wrote:
    found a site that says to run "disable intelppm" from recovery counsole which I think I'm in...

That only applies to pre-installed XP images from HP or Compaq - not your situation.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 5:53 PM
  • I hope it is... I went to the CD and clicked repair a current windows.... it said copying files for a while... I did the repair I'm sure.. didn't do the format option.. now if I DID overwite stuff... so be it I guess Sad I can't flip out over it... but whenever I start windows now.. it goes to setup and does the running setup thing.. then restarts shortly after... you think I should just reformat?
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 6:07 PM
  • ok.. so it completed the repair and everythings here... kinda... im in 4 bit mode so it looks like a tandy Smile but I'm transfering needed files to my other HD and am gunna try a system restore... if that doesn't work, I'll Just format I suppose... Thx for your help... gr8ly needed Smile
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I think you are out of your depth and have been making changes too fast and without pausing to seek advice.  If you reformat you lose all your files and installed programs.  If you sought professional help they might be able to rescue things (if you have not gone too far).

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I know I'm doin things a little fast.. Im just frustrated cause I was putting off SP3 cause everything was workin fine.. I figured why not today and... well.. theres why not Smile  I got the repair to work back to SP1 and got all the files I needed, so I'm just goin foward with the format.  Its been a few years so no time like the present I suppose.  I know I was acting hastily and I do very much appreciate the help. Smile
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:02 PM
  • This is a problem for anyone with an AMD processor. Without going into the gory details, here are some fix options:

HP solution for XP SP3 Restart Bug:

* Boot Computer in Safe Mode
    * Use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    * Right-click intelppm.sys and rename it to XXXintelppm.syx
    * Restart Windows

If the computer is unable to boot into safe mode do the following:

* Press F8 during startup and load the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
    * Type the number that corresponds to your Windows installation
    * Type cd c:\windows\system32\drivers at the command prompt
    * Type rename intelppm.sys XXXintelppm.syx
    * Restart Windows

The Microsoft fix for the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Restart Bug:

* Boot the Computer into Safe Mode
    * Press Windows R, type regedit, hit enter
    * Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Intelppm
    * right-click the Start entry in the right pane and select modify
    * Enter 4 in the Value Data box
    * Close regedit, restart the computer

Finally, if you can't boot into Safe Mode, get to the Safe Mode option screen (F8), and hold F7 down when you select Safe Mode. That should get Safe Mode cooking for you.

Personally, I choose the regedit option - just be sure you follow the instructions exactly.

Happy computing!

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:37 AM
  •  

Right, I really need help here.

I've just installed SP3, and now I'm stuck in a dreaded boot loop.

I can't start in any version of safe mode.

I can't start in Last Best Configuration

Disabling auto-restarts just results in a black screen for an infinite amount of time.

I have a Sony Vaio La-1 running XP Professional Media Centre 2005 edition.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

I have 1gb of RAM

Can anyone help me?

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:46 PM
  • Turn off your computer and unplug from power for several minutes.  Then restart it and you should be able to go to safe mode.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:31 AM
  • just another casualty....

f8 didnt seem like it was doing anything..but when it restarted again safe mode worked..(i was reapeatly pressing althrough boot) i couldnt find that file in my registry,  but  c:\windows\system32\drivers\ intelppm.sys ::rename intelppm.sys TO XXXintelppm.syx             .....that worked...Thanks Champ!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:10 PM
  • OK,

F8 is only a boot option, not modifying the restart option. Most techs really don't want you going in to the bios mode unless you know what your doing.

For those who think reformat is the only option. there are 2 methods without reformatting.

HP/Dell - on the blue boot screen hit F10. this will take you to the restore menu. you can do a non destructive restore from here. Please note that any data stored on a windows profile will be erased but the files in the C: drive will remain. Hope you backed up my documents,my pictures,my music or any shared files. you will also need to re install any third party devices or software.

For those who have the CD. Don't use repair. Install like you did when you installed the first time. just don't format. You will install windows xp over the old one and then do your updates to bring you back. Please note that any data stored on a windows profile will be erased but the files in the C: drive will remain. Hope you backed up my documents,my pictures,my music or any shared files.you will also need to re install any third party devices or software.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:39 AM
  • This is outrageous.  You mean to say that SP3 was released months ago, and this problem is still around?  And it may result in me loosing all my files!?

I'm not even getting to the boot loop problem.  It is as if the OS isn't there at all. 

Who the *** lets an SP remain in effect if it has this bug in it!?

Very very unhappy.

Not to mention of course that there seems to be no safe way to boot of the CD and recover your OS, no just the good ol' reinstall the *** eh?!  Someone even suggested leaving the computer turned off for a while!! WTF!!!
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 1:36 AM
  • Top Urgent, please help

I have a new laptop,
    IBM thinkpad  X60  (no build in CD drive).  Win XP,

Everything is fine until I installed SP3 3 days ago. after installation,
    it won't boot up in normal, safe mode or last working configuration. It try to start and when gets some point, show a blue screen in a second, then re-start itself again. I have no idea what blue screen error is.

I called IBM, the computer is under guarantee, but after they test the hard drive which says pass, they said it is Microsoft problem. They won't help

Please let me know how to fix the problem. It is:

What can I do to fix this.
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 8:11 PM
  • Just wondering. If your going back to SP1, why not just install the OS over what you have. The only files you will lose are the My things and any 3rd party devices. You will still have your files as long as they weren't saved in My doc,My pics,My Music..so on. If you created a directory on the C:\ drive those files will not be over written.

Install windows like you normally do, just don't format. The install will ask if you want to repair, say no. then install over the existing Windows....Good Luck

Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:51 PM
  • My options after hitting F8 are:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
    Enable VGA Mode
    Last Known Good Configuration
    Directory Services Restore Mode
    Debugging Mode
    Disable Automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
    Reboot
    Return to OS Choice Menu

When I disable automatic restarts I get the blue screen

It says: the BIOS in the system is not fully ACPI compliant.

It was compliant before I installed SP3, so I assume its not correct.

I removed the drive that has Windows on it and installed it in another computer. I was able to get to the c:\windows\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys file and renamed it to XXXintelppm.syx. I then reinstalled the drive into the computer and it didn't change anything, it still fails to boot in any mode. I find that it fails after sptd.sys is loading. I renamed that file to old_sptd.oldsys but it still fails to boot in any mode.

What else can I do?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:48 AM
  • This is probably a dead thread but I'll post here because it's the only thing I've found so far that describes exactly the problem I am having right now.

I have a customers machine that was in for virus/trojan cleaning. It is an IBM Thinkpad T60, Intel, Windows XP SP2.

After a dozen or so different scans I manage to clean the garbage off it and get it running smoothly. I then did the Thinkaccess updates for the IBM programs and drivers. The laptop is running good at this point so I decide to start the Windows updates, which was SP3.

The SP3 install went fine until the reboot.

On any of the boot options all I get is slight hard drive activity and then the machine reboots, no blue screens.

This is for safe mode, normal mode, LKG, and disable auto restart.

Boot logging does not work because nothing is written to ntbtlog.txt

Even though this is an Intel I tried the intelppm.sys rename but it did nothing.

I found something about copying gdi32.dll from servicepackfiles to system32 but again it did nothing.

Recovery console does not work since it can't find the HDD or OS, probably an F6 thing but reinstall/parallel install is not an option.

Here's what I can do though, I can boot from one of my utilitly CDs and do a "Hotfix removal" of SP3 then reboot into Windows and do a uninstall of SP3. That brings me back to square one but gives me a working computer. The problem with that is I would have to disable automatic updates to try and stop the owner from installing SP3, which is supposed to patch some of the holes these viruses used to screw up the computer in the first place.
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just got around to installing SP3 for my windows xp machine, and I'm having issues very similar to those described here.  I installed sp3, and it started doing the continuous reboot thing with a flash of a blue screen before restarting.  i was able to stop the rebooting and see what the screen said.  here it is:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Tehcnical information:

*** STOP:  0x0000000A (0x00000018, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x805057FC)

It's not an AMD processor (Intel pentium 4 w/ hyperthreading, yes it's a few years old).  I thought i'd get an opinion or two relevent to this particular error message before i try some of the suggestions mentioned above.  thank you!

edit:  i forgot to mention that it won't boot up in any mode.  if i try to load in normal mode it goes to the blue screen i already mentioned.  if i try in safe mode stops after loading windows/system32/drivers/agp440.sys and then says "press esc to cancel loading of SPTD.sys" for a few moments then it disappears and starts it's rebooting thing again.  trying last known good configuration also fails.  thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Deptic2111 Sunday, August 02, 2009 2:38 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Hey umm
    I want to know..
    after i install windows vista my computer automatically restarts and wont boot back up
    Please tell me whats wrong?????
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 2:40 AM
  • hey molinus

the Safe Mode option screen (f8), and hold F7 down when you select Safe Mode worked like a charm for me

Once in SafeMode i did the regedit change and my system now works like a champ.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:54 PM

• hi.

I have had the same problem (I still have not figured out how to install sp3).
    But here is how I solved the problem of not being able to boot: just press the F10 button each time there's a new screen (F10 does that you can boot your PC from scratch or restore all files and programs with the PC's old options) (i don't not know when to press f10 on a homemade PC,i have a xforce Intel ® Core ™ i7 myself and when you start up is written down in the bottom that you can press F10..

hope you can understand my inglish writings im not that good at it (:

• Proposed as answer by amani africa Sunday, August 07, 2011 11:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by amani africa Sunday, August 07, 2011 11:02 AM
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Type rename intelppm.sys XXXintelppm.syx

Worked like a charm, I had to use a Trinity rescue disk to rename the file cause I don't have an install disk to go with my hp and I did away with the restore partition a long time ago.

HP computer with an amd 3500+ cpu

• Proposed as answer by amani africa Sunday, August 07, 2011 11:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by amani africa Sunday, August 07, 2011 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Thank you everso, the regedit solution worked perfectly. When I restarted my PC it booted up just like I never had a problem. Once again, thank you and may God Bless You.
    Monday, December 31, 2012 4:33 PM