none
System very slow after sp3

Question

•  

Everything is running much slower for me after sp3 was installed about a week ago.  The worst is internet explorer (IE6).  It feels like I'm on dialup. 

The task manager shows CPU at 50-100% for several seconds for even the most basic processes, like navigating through folders in explorer.  THe lag is quite frustrating.

gigabyte ga-965p-ds3

core2duo E4300

2 gb ram (2x1)

Radeon x1650

Zonealarm freeversion  (updated after losing internat access following recent window update)

AVG free

Any help would be appreciated!!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:50 AM

Answers

• The Background intelligent transfer may be attempting to continue a downloaded update
    Try this to see if your system goes back to normal

start a cmd window; Click on start, run, then enter the letters"cmd" press enter

net stop wuauserv
    rmdir c:%windir%\SoftwareDistibution
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv
    exit

Reboot and should allow your system to run reliably.
    If a update was being downloaded , sp3 was installed, system restarted. The files list will continue to download, and be caught in a continual download loop.

also what are the settings in IE? did you use the more recent version of IE? UIs your IE set to autmatically detect settings?
    Remember IE 7 installed before Sp3 will not uninstall. So an uninstall is in order. The more recent version of IE 7 plays nicer with Sp3

Also remember windows installer 4.5 is available and works more reliably, and if you depend on dot net 1.1 sp1 it needs to be re-installed. *after removing the 2.0 and on dot nets* theres a problem with Sp3 not fixing up dot net 1.1 sp1 properly.

Another tool available is the process monitor to see which program is monopolizing the processor.
    www.sysinternals.com

Cheers, and remember to post back your results.

Keith

• Proposed as answer by Joe-AJG Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MEIRLModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 7:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MEIRLModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 7:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by MEIRLModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 7:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:42 AM

All replies

• I  believe I have the same problem. It began when I installed SP3 yesterday and right after the installation was complete I rebooted the PC as prompted to but when I opened up Firefox and visited a random website I noticed everything was slow, very slow. I notice now that even the start up of the PC is slow.

I looked around for possible solutions and my brother helped me (him being the more experienced in these areas) try to uninstall SP3 but all I got was a error message telling me that the "file was unable to be found". Thus, SP3 still being installed. We tried reinstalling SP3 but the problems remain.

The only solution my brother see now is doing a system reboot on /C, (I think system reboot is the right expression in english).

I really don't like Microsoft right now.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:33 AM
  •  

like wise have the same hassles and now im well piffed off ........
    Monday, September 01, 2008 5:50 PM

• The Background intelligent transfer may be attempting to continue a downloaded update
    Try this to see if your system goes back to normal

start a cmd window; Click on start, run, then enter the letters"cmd" press enter

net stop wuauserv
    rmdir c:%windir%\SoftwareDistibution
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv
    exit

Reboot and should allow your system to run reliably.
    If a update was being downloaded , sp3 was installed, system restarted. The files list will continue to download, and be caught in a continual download loop.

also what are the settings in IE? did you use the more recent version of IE? UIs your IE set to autmatically detect settings?
    Remember IE 7 installed before Sp3 will not uninstall. So an uninstall is in order. The more recent version of IE 7 plays nicer with Sp3

Also remember windows installer 4.5 is available and works more reliably, and if you depend on dot net 1.1 sp1 it needs to be re-installed. *after removing the 2.0 and on dot nets* theres a problem with Sp3 not fixing up dot net 1.1 sp1 properly.

Another tool available is the process monitor to see which program is monopolizing the processor.
    www.sysinternals.com

Cheers, and remember to post back your results.

Keith

• Proposed as answer by Joe-AJG Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MEIRLModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 7:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MEIRLModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 7:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by MEIRLModerator Monday, May 13, 2013 7:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Thanks.  The hurricane has my power down right now (I'm at work right now).  I'll try this when I get a chance.  THANK YOU  for your time!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Hi 1stKnight,

Is the line you have "rmdir c:%windir%\SoftwareDistibution" correct, since it doesn't seem to be working for me when

I enter it.

Thanks,

Needhelpl

Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:06 PM
  •  

I ran it (cut and past into the cmd) and it ran fine, but made no difference in performance.  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled sp3 without help. 

thanks anyway!

Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Sorr about that. Missed a letter in the line

c:\%windir%\SoftwareDistribution  Folder. I missed the letter R sorry about that.

Keith

Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:26 AM
  • oh same here ,my system got slower and my internet speeds are pathetic

i tried to uninstall sp3  and i get the same error "specified file is not found"

when i check the logs ,the security update is there,but seems like windows cant see the file

i wouldn't have bother installing sp3 ,if it was not included in automatic updates

first time in my life i am hating Microsoft
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Hi. Just found this thread after a google search. I too have noticed a big performance drop after installing SP3. The whole machine (Thinkpad laptop) seems sluggish and much slower to boot than before.  I notice that the first poster had AVG Free & Zonealarm installed - so do I. I wonder if this could be the problem.

I have tried reinstalling from scratch to get me back to SP2 but windows auto update then only offers me SP3 & no other updates. It would take hours to download individual updates manually.

Its really annoying as I was sticking with XP as it much less sluggish than Vista.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Xp solution center

Are you runing some anti-virus program?

Seaching for Sp3 and CA antivirus there is a solution from them to exclude SP3 from being scanned during installation.

www.support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

Leads to this about stopping or removing anti-virus programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

To ensure reliable changes to the OS please use method 5 here. This is a possibility of your problem if no  CA anti-virus.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Uninstalling sp3

www.support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

The agreement to Sp2 includeds a section about, using the appropriate version of anti-virus programs. And does not expire until you install Vista or something else. There are many articales out there about problems with anti-virus programs interfering with Sp3 installs.

blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

Did you uninstall this KB 937468 before installing Sp3?

Is your processor driver up to date, before the install? (Mainly Amd, clock sync fix also)

Is your computer bios up to date?

Did some one attempt sp3 and then reset the computer? Over protective BIOS will clear all your hard tuned bios settings. Is anything not running in 32 mode mode that should be? Have you checked your date/time?

Updated your .inf if intel chipset? Latest version of chip drivers AMD, Nvidia, Via?

Certain older video cards may be running slowly also.

Are you running Media Center?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Over in sysinternals.com there is process explorer and process monitor. There are even videos on troubleshooting what is clogging you processors time. Advantage microsoft purchased this company. And the tools are successful at figuring out problems.

Cheers Keith

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 5:17 AM
  • At last managed to uninstall SP3 and machine runs like new - boots quicker, programs launch instantly (IE 7 works normally) & windows are populated as soon as they are opened, instead of watching each icon drawn one at at time as the hard disk thrashed away in the background.

My only fear is that having SP3 may become a requisite for new programs/upgrades in the future.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:48 AM
  • We had the same problem with some of the machines in our office, but not others, when we installed XP SP3.

In our case, I have narrowed the problem down to the Spybot IE addon. I have not figured why some systems were not affected, while others were, but on the machines that had this problem, disabling the SD addon and restarting the browser immediately solved the problem.

On the affected workstations, it did not matter whether IE6 or IE7 was running; both experienced the same issues.

Perhaps this plugin is incompatible with a certain conbination of SP3 and other system settings.

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:48 AM