none
Metro-style apps dont work, dont start..

Question

• Hi!

I installed Windows 8 yesterday, and metro-apps worked perfectly, I installed latest graphicsdrivers, visual studio 2012, and they still worked. Shutdown the system went to bed, next day metro-apps had stopped working. I tried to refresh the system didn't fix the issue, I did a complete restore fixed it for a few hours then metro-apps stopped again. For some reason I don't know the map-app seems to work, but the store, email, messenger, image etc... do not. 

I really don't want to do a complete restore every other day, and since many apps in w8 are metro-based its really bad that the interface breake so easily... I've made no major changes, I haven't touched UAC. I haven't done anything with Group Access Policys (I've read that this was a major issue in the consumer preview and Beta).  And all the fixes I've read is basically do a reinstall and hope for the best. I have reinstalled W8 several times and the problem comes back after a few hours. So thats not really a fix. If the imageviewer etc is a metro-style app, they could've atleast made sure that metro worked correctly... 

Have anyone heard about a fix that isn't a complete restore?

Im using this on my main desktop, the resolution is 1920x1080, so lack of system requirements is not the issue. 

EDIT: 

Since it wasn't mentioned in the post I am using Windows 8 Pro RTM from msdnaa. 

• Edited by zeroRepent Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 5:35 PM

Answers

• I be damned, it was AVAST! that was the bad guy, the windows firewall was on. I was certain avast wasn't the cause because it worked the first day of the installation, but not the second.. I guess avast registered metro-style apps as something malicious after some time. Now I just need to figure out how the make avast ignore metrostyle apps! Thank you very much! 
    • Marked as answer by zeroRepent Thursday, September 06, 2012 10:24 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 10:24 AM

All replies

• Got the exact same problem.

Apps worked the first day. Installed VS 2012 too. One the 2nd day they stopped loading. I click on them, they flash open and close again.

Only way I have managed to open them is if I launch them very quickly after rebooting the PC. If I wait a few minutes after the PC has booted, they won't open any more. I have yet to find a fix for this serious problem.

Some of the apps work such as Maps, Store, Music.

Mail and Photos crashes to start screen. Reader opens but crashes to start screen if I select a PDF file to open.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Hello, I duno if I can help... but why dont you use the WIN8 Pro? It is already for download! and mine is working so fine everything!...

Regards

Pedro_Araujo

Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:46 AM
  • I am using Win8 Pro thats the issue, it's not working at all with metro apps. It's a shame because I really wanted to try develop metro-apps and use dx11.1. I'll wait and see a time if I can get and official response, or something thats seems like a solution, otherwise I go back to W7 since I can't use an OS that is this unstable. 

When I check the eventlog I get this error

Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail.AppXj3e9v0xw9sf8t58nqr15tqqb2yq4zsfg.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout

as well another basically saying "The app failed to start"... 

• Edited by zeroRepent Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:54 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:35 AM
  • If you have installed a third party anti virus program, then, sometimes, many of them disables the Windows firewall as a default, in order to install their own version.

Windows Firewall MUST be enabled to use many of the Metro items.

David Clarke

• Proposed as answer by davehc1MVP Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:49 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 9:49 AM
  • I be damned, it was AVAST! that was the bad guy, the windows firewall was on. I was certain avast wasn't the cause because it worked the first day of the installation, but not the second.. I guess avast registered metro-style apps as something malicious after some time. Now I just need to figure out how the make avast ignore metrostyle apps! Thank you very much! 
    • Marked as answer by zeroRepent Thursday, September 06, 2012 10:24 AM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 10:24 AM
  • I've not changed anything from Stock install. I done a fresh Win 8 Pro 64 bit install. Then installed VS 2012 Premium.

Using the built in windows AV. Firewall is on, UAC is on.

Tried running the Metro apps troubleshooter utility, but detected no errors.

Tried uninstalling the problem apps from the store. Rebooted and re-installed them. Still the same issue.

They worked fine for the first day. Now they will only work if I open them within the space of 30 - 60 seconds after booting to the start screen. After that time they won't open anymore.

Done a windows refresh but the issue still continues. Not sure what else to try. Having to rebuild the OS in the event it may just happen again isn't the best solution IMO.

Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:58 PM