none
can we install 64 Bit windows server 2008 Virtual Machine on 64 Bit Window 7?

Question

• I have installed 64 bit Windows 7. Can I create 64 Bit  Windows 2008 server in Virtual Environment. If yes then can you provide the steps.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:17 PM

Answers

• Yes, Windows Virtual PC Support only 32-bit...:(

Hyper-V can run All Windows Server Edition, every Windows 7 edition, etc...

But Hyper-V role is only on Windows Server 2008/R2

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Microsoft Virtual PC can't run 64-bit guests, no matter what the host
    is. (64-bit host doesn't matter.)

You need one of the other virtualization solutions to run 64-bit
    guests.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:03 PM

All replies

• Thansk for the update.

I am using Virtual PC. I read Windows Virtual PC will only be supporting 32-bit guests? My requirement is i need to configure guest machine as window server 2008 64 bit . Is this works?

Does Hyper V supports guest machines with Windows Server 2008 64 bit.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Yes, Windows Virtual PC Support only 32-bit...:(

Hyper-V can run All Windows Server Edition, every Windows 7 edition, etc...

But Hyper-V role is only on Windows Server 2008/R2

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:08 PM
  • VMware Player, which is a FREE product, supports Windows Server 2008 & R2 as guest operating systems.  http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/player_pubs.html
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:23 PM
  • The simple answer is if you got a processor that can support VT such as the intel core i3,i5 and i7 or any 64 bit processor. THEN YOU MAY run 64 bit virtual machines the reason for this virtual pc 2007 doesnt support cpu virtulization so all cpu requests use your host cpu so you have to have a 64 bit capable host cpu in order to run a 64 bit vm _____________________________________ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Microsoft Virtual PC can't run 64-bit guests, no matter what the host
    is. (64-bit host doesn't matter.)

You need one of the other virtualization solutions to run 64-bit
    guests.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

It cannot be installed, please refer to this Wikipedia website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Mode#Windows_XP_Mode

Hope it helps!

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Miya Yao

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 03, 2010 7:39 AM
  • This is not true when running virtual PC. I have an i7 running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, and when I attempt to create a 64-bit Windows Server, VPC says it will only support 32-bit installs.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:40 PM
  • This is not true when running virtual PC. I have an i7 running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, and when I attempt to create a 64-bit Windows Server, VPC says it will only support 32-bit installs.

Somehow you must be confused.  Everyone has plainly stated that Virtual PC will not support a 64-bit guest, only 32-bit.

So, why do you say it's not true and then say what everyone else has said?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:20 PM