none
New folder in Explorer Command bar doesn't work

Question

• New folder in Windows Explorer Command bar doesn't work with my account.  Context menu (right click) shows NEW > Folder and it works.  So there is a work around, but I would like to fix this issue.

When you log in to the same PC with different account, New folder button works as expected.  

My PC is Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), Vaio.  Your help/suggestion is appreciated.  Thx

(editted on 1/24 as my original title and description is not accurate.)

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• I normally recommend that people try to avoid using libraries or the desktop to to do work in because of Explorer glitches; this is the first I've heard of something working the other way around.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to recommend to you to fix it, since I haven't personally seen nor had to solve this specific problem, but my thoughts tend toward first double-checking permissions and eliminating basic issues...

Have you tried it on a basic folder, with wide open permissions?  Something like this:

1.  Create folder:  C:\TEMP

2.  Right-click on C:\TEMP and choose Properties, then the Security tab.

3.  Click the [Edit...] button.

4.  If Users is not shown, click the [Add...] button and type Users into the "Enter the object names to select" box, then [OK].

5.  Click Users to highlight it.

6.  Check the box in the Allow column to the right of Full control, and [OK] out.

Try your experiment again on C:\TEMP, to see if the New folder button will create a new subfolder.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:23 PM

All replies

• Just to be specific, do you mean you have chosen File - New - Folder from the menus? 

Specifically what folder is it that you have highlighted in the navigation (left) pane when you click that menu?  Does this happen no matter what folder you have highlighted?

-Noel

Monday, January 23, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Ah. My exlanation seems inaccurate.

When I click "New Folder" on the command bar (not from the menus) on Windows Explorer, nothing happens.

No matter what folders I have highlighted in the nav pane, the result is same... so a new folder isn't created via "New Folder" button on the command bar.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:53 AM
  • No, that was my fault for not understanding you clearly.

Normally the new folder is created in the Files (right) pane when you press that button, not in the Navigation pane.

• What folders do you have displayed in each pane before pressing the button?
    • Do you see any activity at all in the Files pane after pressing the button?

-Noel

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:39 PM
  • Hi.  Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes. That is right.  When you log on to the same PC as different user, this New Folder button works as expected. i.e.  a new folder is created in the Files (right) pane. 

Further investigation, I notice that the New Folder functions when "Documents" under "Libraries" is selected in the Navigation pane.  Organize,   Share with, and Burn buttons also function.

But, when you select other folder like C:\Users\myaccount or C:\Users\myaccount\Desktop in the Navigation pane, nothing happens when you press the New Folder button. Organize, Add to Library, Share with, Burn buttons works.

Thank you for your time and help in advance!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:20 PM
  • I normally recommend that people try to avoid using libraries or the desktop to to do work in because of Explorer glitches; this is the first I've heard of something working the other way around.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to recommend to you to fix it, since I haven't personally seen nor had to solve this specific problem, but my thoughts tend toward first double-checking permissions and eliminating basic issues...

Have you tried it on a basic folder, with wide open permissions?  Something like this:

1.  Create folder:  C:\TEMP

2.  Right-click on C:\TEMP and choose Properties, then the Security tab.

3.  Click the [Edit...] button.

4.  If Users is not shown, click the [Add...] button and type Users into the "Enter the object names to select" box, then [OK].

5.  Click Users to highlight it.

6.  Check the box in the Allow column to the right of Full control, and [OK] out.

Try your experiment again on C:\TEMP, to see if the New folder button will create a new subfolder.

-Noel

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:23 PM
  • This is not answered. Didn't work for Something Wrong and I also have the identical problem.  I have found no answer to this.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:37 AM
  • Since the basic operation of Explorer itself seems affected, my thoughts go toward a Shell Extension - basically a program that's added into Explorer - causing the problem, possibly by intercepting events.

There's a pretty decent free program for listing Shell Extensions, and potentially for disabling them methodically to see if the problem is alleviated:  It's called ShellExView and can be found here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

It can be helpful to sort by Company then review all the highlighted non-Microsoft entries, which will be grouped together at the top and bottom.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:34 AM