none
Mapped Network Drives Not Accessible Via ODBC Data Source Administrator From Admin Account

Question

• In previous versions of Windows, we have installed our ODBC client on the network and then linked to it from within the ODBC Administrator via mapped network drives, in order to connect to databases via MsAccess.  With Windows 7 Professional, it appears that we can only see mapped network drives within the ODBC Administrator from a limited user account, but not from any account that has been assigned to the Admin group.  Oddly enough we ARE able to see the mapped drives from Windows Explorer, though.  This happens on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7.  A quick test to see if the drives are visible is to fire up the ODBC Administrator, select the "Tracing" tab, then click the "Select DLL" button.  In a limited user account, we see the mapped drives when doing this, but in an Admin account we don't.

We have various instances where logging in as an Admin account is necessary by some of our users, so are wondering if there is some way (group policy, registry setting, etc) that we can modify an Admin account to be able to see these mapped network drives from within the ODBC Administrator?  TIA for any help with this!

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please open CMD with administrative priviledge, then use Net Use command to map the network drive.

Regarding linked connection, This shoud work for this case, please make sure the key you create is correct.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by dkenl Monday, February 27, 2012 10:33 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to disable UAC for a test? According to your description, it seems you have not run the ODBC in a same token with Explorer.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Hi Juke,

Thanks for the response!  We tested your suggestion and that did work.  However, for security reasons, we would like to leave UAC enabled.  So I'm hoping there is instead some simple tweak (like a group policy or registrty setting) that we could set which would accomplish the same thing in the ODBC Administrator of allowing both admin and limited users to see mapped network drives, without disabling the UAC.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

You may use Net use command to map the network drive under fully Administrative priviledges again.

Juke Chou

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

How is it going?

Juke Chou

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Tried http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx, and it didn't work.  The curious thing is that if I map a drive to another computer, I am able to see that drive.  The other mapped network drives I'm attempting to see are actually mapped by Novell, so not sure how I would be able to run those mappings with Admin privileges as I don't know how to modify the Novell login client...

Deborah

• Edited by dkenl Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

Please open CMD with administrative priviledge, then use Net Use command to map the network drive.

Regarding linked connection, This shoud work for this case, please make sure the key you create is correct.

Juke Chou

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got it to work? Please feel free to give us any update.

Juke Chou

• Unmarked as answer by dkenl Monday, February 27, 2012 10:33 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Hi Juke,

Looks like the "net use" command will resolve this issue.  Because the drive gets mapped initially by the Novell client on login, I have to first issue the "net use Z: /delete" command to delete the Novell mapping of this drive, then issue the "net use Z: \\server" command.  That appears to remove the Windows permissions assigned by the Novell client and then correctly map the Z: drive with the correct permissions to allow the ODBC Administrator to see the drive. 

I've added the commands to a batch file and will now have to work with the network engineers to figure out how to automate the running of the batch file AFTER the Novell client finishes mapping other drives, as otherwise the Client overwrites the mapping done by the batch file.  Thanks for your help with this!

Deborah

• Edited by dkenl Monday, February 27, 2012 10:33 PM
    Monday, February 27, 2012 10:33 PM