none
Computer won't shutdown or restart

Question

• HELP PLZ. I hope I am in the right forum...my laptop won't shut down or restart.  It just keeps saying it is, until I have to turn it off myself.  I've been on other websites and have a hard time understanding what I need to do.  Can anyone please help me and speak in laymans term plz?  I'm not computer illiterate, but I don't know about things like motherboard and configuration things.  :) I really appreciate it!

BTW, I have Window's 7.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi BabyDuck,

When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software or changing some hardware?

First, apply this Hotfix and see if the issue can be resolved: You cannot make a computer that is running Windows 7 shut down or sleep.

If the issue persists, check if the issue occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Also, unplug the unnecessary devices and perform the steps below if the issue still exists in Clean Boot mode:

1. Click Start, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your sound card and then click "Properties.

4. In the dropdown menu of Device Usage, please choose "Do not use this device (disable)" and click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other dubious hardware such as: internal modem, network card and CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:57 AM
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 7:37 AM