none
Guest OS needs static IP to talk to external device connected to Win7 Host

Question

• Using XPMode and VPC on Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit machine:  Installed all files and KB articles 958559-x86 and 977206-x86 sucessfully - have not downloaded XP Mode service packs (sp1,2,3) not sure if that is even necessary to resolve our issue.

Background: Trying to get a legacy Windows XP app running under guest XP mode.  An external device has a static IP of 192.168.1.1 and it must talk to the XPmode legacy app at IP 192.168.1.2

I have tried setting the Win7host and XPmode guest IP to the same 192.168.1.2 static ip using the Shared NAT setting for the network adapter setting in XP mode tool bar.  And have tried setting the XMode VM to another ip in same subnet range (say 192.168.1.3).  No matter what I try, the win7 host can ping the external 192.168.1.1 device but the xpmode cannot, ping just times out.   I can ping the host IP from the XP mode VM but that is it.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on?  I am working on a mission critical deployment app for all branches of the Military and any expedient help is appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:22 PM

All replies

• You need to change the networking settings for the XP Mode VM to point
    to your physical NIC on the host, not "Shared Networking (NAT).  Then
    assign a different ip address on the same subnet to XP Mode once it's
    booted.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response, Bob.

In XPMode tools settings, I selected the host physical adapter name ("realtek gigabit...", rather than Shared NAT) for the network adapter.  Then restarted the XPMode VM.  Set the host IP to the required 192.168.1.2 so it could talke to the external 192.168.1.1 device. Made sure I could ping it via host.  Went back into XPmode window and set static ip in same subnet range of 192.168.1.3.  Tried ping, and it timed out again.  I did try this before but did not mention it in my original post.

May I ask you to direct me further?  So very appreciated!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:44 PM
  • BTW Bob, I could cannot ping my host from guest mode...it times out as well!
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Ping from the XP Mode to 192.168.1.1?  It sounds like everything is
    set up the way it should be to me.

Unless there's a firewall blocking you somewhere it could be a NIC
    driver problem on the host.  It's not wireless I take it, so maybe
    check to see if its got the latest drivers. 

Also make sure 192.168.1.1 is set to respond to other ip addresses
    than just 192.168.1.2, or the NIC address could be hardwired into the
    connection as well.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:10 PM
  • IIRC, ICMP is blocked by default on both the XPMode and Win7 firewalls.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:42 PM
  • "Using XPMode and VPC on Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit machine: Installed all files and KB articles 958559-x86 and 977206-x86 sucessfully - have not downloaded XP Mode service packs (sp1,2,3) not sure if that is even necessary to resolve our issue."

XP Mode is XP Pro SP3.  What do you mean by "SP1, 2, and 3"?  These do not exist for XP Mode.  Did you create a vm with XP gold?

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:36 PM
  • Thank you.  I had disabled firewall in both XP Mode and Win7 Host.  Any other thoughts?
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Thank you.  I was ignorate that XP mode was already SP3.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Hi,

What is the result after disabling firewall and Security software? Can the Windows 7 host ping the external device?

I suggest you log in XP mode with the default account XPMUser, configure TCP/IP to get IP address automatically both in XP and Win7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

After that, use ipconfig /all command to check if they load IP addresses successfully.

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Thanks, Nikki. WIn 7 host can ping the external device but the Guest OS (XP Mode) cannot..ping timesout.

All firewalls are turned off and the IPs assigned properly to the right net adapter as well.

However, when you said "security software" turned off, are you implying Virus software (Norton, Macafee, Windows defender) or something like that?  In any case none of that software is turned on either.

Thank you for the assistance though!

Friday, April 01, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

Can the XP mode ping Windows 7? What is the default gateway on XP mode? Try to ping the gateway first.

If the XP mode still cannot ping the external device, please use tracert command to trace IP and paste the result here.

Tracert 192.168.1.1 (external device IP)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782791(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 04, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Thanks, Nikki.

I ran "Traceroute 192.168.1.1"   from XPMODE and it loops through the 30 hop test and each  itteration 1..30 reports "Request timed out"

Traceroute from Win 7 succeeds on the first (1) itteration.

There is no gateway setup because this is closed network between 192.168.1.1 (external ethernet capable device) and 192.168.1.2 (the win7 host w/ XPMode guest set to 192.168.1.3)

I tried to ping from XPmode (192.168.1.3) to Win7 host (192.168.1.2)  and it reports "request timesout"

Any other ideas? - I have updated the realtek adapter to the newest drivers as well.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Can you possibly put another NIC in the HOST PC and assign that to the
    VM?  Maybe there's an issue between WVPC and your realtek adapter.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:50 PM
  •  

The NIC (adapter) is built into my motherboard and it is part of a UMD device so, I have no options to install another NIC; there is no open slot architecture. 

Also, having installed the newest RealTek drivers, and that not resolving the issue, I am leaning toward perhaps compatibility issue between WVPC and RealTek. 

I will research this further and post a resoltion if anything turns up; however, and this point I'm about to give up and report that bad news to my clients.

Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:39 PM
  • How about an adaptor like one of these?

http://bit.ly/dZaIWb

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 4:51 PM
  • I worked with the UMD device manufacturer on this issue.  They were able to reproduce the same issue with their XPMODE istall but their VMWare test system works as expected. 

Their support tech response was:   I reproduced the problem with Windows XP Mode. However, when I use VMWare Workstation (7.1.3) with Windows XP as guest OS, I can ping successfully either computers in our network or external sites. Therefore, this is not a hardware or driver problem. I think, you should configure properly the XP Mode network settings.

Looking back at all the comments in this Technet forum regarding the issue I am seeing, we believe we have the XPMode settings correct with respect to the network adapter and IP assignments.

Could there simply be some permissions issue between the host and guest OS in XPMODE?
    Anyone have other idea?  

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi Martin,

I had the same issue and was able to solve the problem by disabling the TCIP connection in windows 7 and assigning that IP address to the mapped driver in XP mode.  Windows doesn't allow you to use the same IP address and if your device is like mine, you have to use a specific IP address to connect to it.  Hope this helps.

Matt

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Thanks for this information, Helped me a lot.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 1:48 PM