none
Cannot access Windows 7 machine

Question

• I am the I.T. department for an ophthalmology private practice. I'm new to this role here and have inherited a great many things. One of those is a series of HP / Windows 7 PCs. Currently, I am attempting to repurpose one of those PCs. For these machines, there is no historical trail whatsoever. I have neither the discs, nor the passwords to the accounts currently installed (including Admin password that is local to the machine).

All I really wish to do is restore the machine to factory default. However, I cannot access any user account on the machine. I know that there are many solutions out there, but cost is an issue as budgetary constraints require cost neutral options as frequently as possible.

Can someone recommend a way for me to prompt the machine to begin a restore, or even to just reset the passwords? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The product sticker on the machine states Windows 7 Pro OA.

-pete
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could contact HP and provide them the model number and purchase a set of Recovery CDs.  They should not cost too much and will allow you to restore to factory default.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

This article may be helpful to you.

I Forgot My Windows 7 Password! Is There Anything I Can Do?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/forgot-password-windows-7.htm

Please note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If still no joy, you may have to take the suggestion above into consideration.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 15, 2013 12:19 PM