none
Missing hard drive after resuming from hybrid sleep

Question

• After resuming from hybrid sleep, one of my hard drives is missing and I must re-boot in order to get it back.  I'm running 3 internal SATA drives on a brand new Dell XPS 435T.  Any help on this issue?
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:52 PM

Answers

• Ahwman -

Hmm.. So there may be an issue with Hitatchi HDDs...

I don't blame you for not wanting to get into the guts of your machine if you don't have to. The idea behind swapping the ports would be to see if it's the hard drive itself or if it's something that's port specific to the motherboard. If you move the cable to another location, and it works without issue, then the issue may be with any combination of the drivers for the SATA/IDE controller or it may be the drive not getting the right command to wake up after a nap.

At any rate, yes, there's a way to disable sleep - Go into the power managment console in Control Panel. By default, it will show two profiles - Power Saver and Balanced (recommended). Below that there's an option to show more profiles - and in that section, there's a High Performance option. Select that one and click the Change Plan Settings.

Make sure that the "Put the computer to sleep" item is set to NEVER. If you don't want the monitor going off, set that one to Never as well. Click Save Changes and close the control panel.

There are TWO caveats -

1.) If you've got a keyboard like mine that has all manner of bonus multimedia buttons and the like, and there's a button that has that half moon icon on it, pressing that button will put your computer to sleep immediately. Depending on your keyboard, there may or may not be a means to reprogram the button to do something else.

2.) Likewise, if you click on the start orb and select the drop down next to the shut down button, and you select sleep or hibernate - that's exactly what it will do. The obvious thing to do in this case - not click on Sleep or Hibernate.

For MOST users, that should be enough to keep the system from ever going into sleep mode. If that doesn't quite do it, there's a means to tweak the power configuration a bit more - from the command line.

1.) Click on the Start Orb and type CMD in the bottom search box. This will bring up the Command Prompt option at the top of the listings. Right-click on that and select "Run As Administrator" and go through the usual UAC authentication.
    2.) Type POWERCFG -H  OFF >enter<

This will disable Hibernation on the system.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:56 AM

All replies

• Ahwman -

Unfortunately, there are a number of issues with sleep, hibernation, etc.. in the RC. They're working on it.

In the mean time,  have you looked at the Disk Management system to see if the drive is still listed there? Click the Start orb, type in Disk Management and click on "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions" - this will bring up the disk management box. You should see all of your drives and the partitions on them listed.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Thanks so much for the help/suggestion.  That said, I have went into the Disk Management console and the drive does not appear there either.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:09 AM
  • ahwman -

Hmm OK... So the drive seems to go to sleep and never quite wakes up when it goes into sleep mode.

First off, is the drive in question the same make/model as the other two or is it different?

Do you happen to have another free port on your SATA connections? If so, could you swap the affected drive's cable to another port and test to see if it works any differently? If you don't, can you swap the SATA cables with one of the other drives that IS working? Even if you do, if you could test this as well - it might be helpful in figuring if this has to do with the drive itself or if it's a motherboard issue.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:54 AM
  • The offending drive is a Hitachi while the other 2 are Western Digital drives.  I'd like to avoid having to open the computer as it's rather hard to get to based on where it's positioned.  That said, I don't use the sleep feature being that it is a full-time desktop.  I simply wanted to bring the issue to the attention of those involved with the RC.

Is there a way to completely disable sleep/hibernate mode in Windows 7?

Thank you for all of your help regarding this issue...

Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:29 AM
  • Ahwman -

Hmm.. So there may be an issue with Hitatchi HDDs...

I don't blame you for not wanting to get into the guts of your machine if you don't have to. The idea behind swapping the ports would be to see if it's the hard drive itself or if it's something that's port specific to the motherboard. If you move the cable to another location, and it works without issue, then the issue may be with any combination of the drivers for the SATA/IDE controller or it may be the drive not getting the right command to wake up after a nap.

At any rate, yes, there's a way to disable sleep - Go into the power managment console in Control Panel. By default, it will show two profiles - Power Saver and Balanced (recommended). Below that there's an option to show more profiles - and in that section, there's a High Performance option. Select that one and click the Change Plan Settings.

Make sure that the "Put the computer to sleep" item is set to NEVER. If you don't want the monitor going off, set that one to Never as well. Click Save Changes and close the control panel.

There are TWO caveats -

1.) If you've got a keyboard like mine that has all manner of bonus multimedia buttons and the like, and there's a button that has that half moon icon on it, pressing that button will put your computer to sleep immediately. Depending on your keyboard, there may or may not be a means to reprogram the button to do something else.

2.) Likewise, if you click on the start orb and select the drop down next to the shut down button, and you select sleep or hibernate - that's exactly what it will do. The obvious thing to do in this case - not click on Sleep or Hibernate.

For MOST users, that should be enough to keep the system from ever going into sleep mode. If that doesn't quite do it, there's a means to tweak the power configuration a bit more - from the command line.

1.) Click on the Start Orb and type CMD in the bottom search box. This will bring up the Command Prompt option at the top of the listings. Right-click on that and select "Run As Administrator" and go through the usual UAC authentication.
    2.) Type POWERCFG -H  OFF >enter<

This will disable Hibernation on the system.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Thanks so much for all of your help Ronnie!  Hopefully this issue will be fixed by the time the RTM hits for those who are experiencing simmilar issues.

Have a blessed holiday...
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:02 PM
  • All,

I have the same issue with my PC as well - x64 bit version - after resuming from sleep, the PC cannot see my 1 TB drive.  Same setup works flawlessly in Vista.  The system drive for Win 7 is a Seagate 500 GB drive, the drive disappearing after sleep is a 1 TB Western Digital "Green" drive.  This alone is keeping me from switching over, as everything else works well.  I am curious to see what the "other" issues with sleep are in the RC.  My current Vista installation had tons of issues with sleep until SP1. 

I am sure my BIOS settings are correct, and I made sure I visited the power panel on 7 to configure my preferred settings for sleep.  For reference, I am running a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R P45 Motherboard, 4 GB OCZ Reaper RAM, a Q8400 Processor, 4 total internal drives -- 3 500 GB drives and the above mentioned 1 TB drive.  My Vista installation uses a Hitachi 500 GB drive.  My video card is an NVidia GTX 260-216 and my soundcard is an Asus Xonar PCIe card.  My Vista install is 32 bit.  Any info you can provide would be very helpful.

thanks in advance,

-bill
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:25 AM

• wbrunell

There are two storage controllers on your motherboard, the Intel South Bridge, and a GIGABYTE SATA2 chip. You might not have the drivers installed for the Gigabyte storage contoller and you might have your problem hard drive connected to one of the  2 sata ports available with that Gigabyte storage interface chip.
    If the current bios setting is IDE try changing to AHCI if that option is available, or RAID, even if you aren't going to use a RAID array.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply - I am only using the controller off of the ICH10.  The additional JMicron controller is disabled in the BIOS.  Current settings are AHCI, I don't run XP anymore, so have switched to native mode for both Vista installation and Windows 7.

Please keep the ideas coming...thanks again.

-bill
    Friday, June 05, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hello,

just an observation. My external drives (HD, DVD) with USB connections disappear from time to time after sleep/hibernating, the same goes for several system settings (media channels, drive letters, etc.) that are randomly lost or rearranged after reawakening. The only solution so far seems to be a restart every time those annoyances occur, after that all is back to normal. Or one could just disable all sleep/hibernate settings via power management and do a regular shutdown when the pc isn't needed. Until there's a fix for this behavior, I would guess "it's not a feature, it's a bug". 
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, June 05, 2009 10:26 AM
  • My post might not have been clear - my issue concerns internal hard drives only, not external.  With the majority of external drives using USB or to a lesser extent, firewire, issues with disappearing external drives usually involve USB issues.  This is not the case with my installation - my drives are using the ICH10 southbridge controller native to Intel-based boards....

Friday, June 05, 2009 12:07 PM
  • So the conclusion we are drawing here is that this is a Storage Matrix issue?  Is that the official stance from Microsoft?

This is an important point, as this will dictate my migration path as dependant upon Intel on a new driver, vs. Microsoft patching/modifying the RC to make adjustments...
    Friday, June 05, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Completely understand...hopefully I can get MS to weigh in on the issue...  have a good weekend....
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Nor in my industry, I merely sneak away for a few days, tethered by a silly handheld...
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:09 PM
  • @wbrunell,

i'm fully aware that your problem is different from my examples. all i wanted to point out is that there are more problems with this "resuming from sleep..." than you might imagine. so, it may be that's "only" a hardware issue in your case. but the whole sleep/hibernate thing seems to be buggy in this pre-release version of Win7, and searching for hardware-sided solutions might be fruitless. that's what i tried to say.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:21 PM
  • The same was true for the Vista release.  I am curious, are the issues catalogued anywhere?  I would like to know how bad it is...thanks.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 2:23 PM
  • I threw in a "helpful" bone on this post.  I will have to keep looking around the net to see if there is one place which lists the sleep issues found so far in the RC.  This is important to me, as I use sleep every day - I don't want to pay the power bill to run my desktop beast.  I dislike rebooting and would much rather leverage the near instant-on capabilities, which i can finally enjoy in Vista...
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:02 PM
  • The same was true for the Vista release.  I am curious, are the issues catalogued anywhere?  I would like to know how bad it is...thanks.

wbrunell -

In addition to the post egads (derosnec) posted, you can search the Windows 7 Misc forum for "Sleep", "Standby" or "Hibernation" and while there may be duplication of issues, the full extent of the problem and the wide range of issues might be more apparent.

From my readings - I've seen issues with:

1.) video cards coming back with a black screen (monitor never wakes up)
    2.) Drives go MIA.
    3.) networking issues.
    4.) Printers go AWOL
    5.) Other hardware that don't come back to life

The list goes on...
    Friday, June 05, 2009 7:35 PM

wbrunell -

In addition to the post egads (derosnec) posted, you can search the Windows 7 Misc forum for "Sleep", "Standby" or "Hibernation" and while there may be duplication of issues, the full extent of the problem and the wide range of issues might be more apparent.

From my readings - I've seen issues with:

1.) video cards coming back with a black screen (monitor never wakes up)
    2.) Drives go MIA.
    3.) networking issues.
    4.) Printers go AWOL
    5.) Other hardware that don't come back to life

The list goes on...

This still amazes me, as W7 was supposed to be essentially the Vista SP2/Server 2008 SP2 Kernel.... how could this be????

I went through very similar issues with Vista - I screamed at motherboard manufacturers, switched out hardware, etc, etc.  Hopefully I won't have to wait until W7 SP1 to get this right.  I won't switch until I have assurances...

thanks to all who have posted today on this....

Friday, June 05, 2009 7:39 PM
  • wbrunell -

I don't know about Vista SP2, per se, but yes, it's the same general kernal as Windows Server 2008 R2 - not Server 2008 SP2... There's a bit of a difference. Vista and Server 2008 have an older NT 6.0 Kernal while Win 7 and Win Server 2008 R2 share a newer version - NT 6.1.

As I'm sure you're quite aware, there's no such thing as a perfect OS, or perfect software. Nor perfect anything. Humans programming software make mistakes. The amazing thing about Windows 7 at this stage - is that it works as well as it does. When you consider the enormity of the scope of what all it takes to build an OS like Windows, it's pretty darn impressive.

There's no real rush to upgrade. If you feel there's issues that need to be dealt with, by all means, you're free to hang back and wait for drivers and such to catch up.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 8:08 PM
  • wbrunell -

I don't know about Vista SP2, per se, but yes, it's the same general kernal as Windows Server 2008 R2 - not Server 2008 SP2... There's a bit of a difference. Vista and Server 2008 have an older NT 6.0 Kernal while Win 7 and Win Server 2008 R2 share a newer version - NT 6.1.

As I'm sure you're quite aware, there's no such thing as a perfect OS, or perfect software. Nor perfect anything. Humans programming software make mistakes. The amazing thing about Windows 7 at this stage - is that it works as well as it does. When you consider the enormity of the scope of what all it takes to build an OS like Windows, it's pretty darn impressive.

There's no real rush to upgrade. If you feel there's issues that need to be dealt with, by all means, you're free to hang back and wait for drivers and such to catch up.

I am one of the few willing to admit that Vista SP2 works just fine for my home PC.  Plus, my work requires accessing from home via a Citrix Plug-in, which doesn't quite work with IE8 - even in compatibility mode...

I do love testing new OS's as they are available...
    Friday, June 05, 2009 8:28 PM
  • This still amazes me, as W7 was supposed to be essentially the Vista SP2/Server 2008 SP2 Kernel.... how could this be????

I went through very similar issues with Vista - I screamed at motherboard manufacturers, switched out hardware, etc, etc.  Hopefully I won't have to wait until W7 SP1 to get this right.  I won't switch until I have assurances...

Hi

Although the base code for Windows 7 is Vista, there have been several core changes to the Kernel in Windows 7 as well as the different driver models.

The best documentation on this is a video presentation by Mark Rusinovich. He explains these changes including the reason why and the expected results. Here is the link.

Mark Russinovich: Inside Windows 7- Going Deep

Another excellent resource is Engineering Windows 7 there are over 60 articles there, written by the Windows 7 Beta Team members, that describe most of the major changes in W7, including the reasons about why these changes were made.

And then there is always the Windows 7 Technical Library Roadmap (RC) that has a ton of information.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, June 05, 2009 8:52 PM
  • This still amazes me, as W7 was supposed to be essentially the Vista SP2/Server 2008 SP2 Kernel.... how could this be????

Hi

Although the base code for Windows 7 is Vista, there have been several core changes to the Kernel in Windows 7 as well as the different driver models.

The best documentation on this is a video presentation by Mark Rusinovich. He explains these changes including the reason why and the expected results. Here is the link.

Mark Russinovich: Inside Windows 7- Going Deep

Another excellent resource is Engineering Windows 7 there are over 60 articles there, written by the Windows 7 Beta Team members, that describe most of the major changes in W7, including the reasons about why these changes were made.

And then there is always the Windows 7 Technical Library Roadmap (RC) that has a ton of information.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thanks Ronnie.  I have been a Russinovich fan since back in the day he wrote a series of articles on the NT 4 Kernel.  I hope to have some downtime this weekend to give those sites a read.

-bill
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:18 AM
  • I have a similar problem.
    I have an external WD 1Tb disk drive. It has been working fine for a month. Two days ago it disappeared from my computer. Nowhere to be found. Not in my computer, not in Disk Management. The drive was connected as an eSATA drive.
    I tried restarting the computer several times. With the drive connected, without the drive connected and after restart connecting it. Nothing helped.

I finaly removed the eSATA connection and installed a Firewire connection. The drive showed up again. However after a sleep session, when I started next day, the drive was gone again. Multiple restarts did not help.

I tried to switch back to eSATA but that did not work either.

I am now at the point where I went and had the drive replased. I am up and running and can see my eSATA drive. What will happen tomorrow morning, I do not know. If this was a drive problem, it should work, if not Vista has a problem.
    I do suspect Vista more than the drive. The only change I made to the computer before this problem showed up was a delete of support for the HP Photosmart C5180 connected over the internet. (It never worked). Now HP just came out with this new version and the printer works, but my WD disk drive went crazy. Can there be a connection????

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1, 32 bit OS.
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 11:53 PM
  • I have a similar problem.
    I have an external WD 1Tb disk drive. It has been working fine for a month. Two days ago it disappeared from my computer. Nowhere to be found. Not in my computer, not in Disk Management. The drive was connected as an eSATA drive.
    I tried restarting the computer several times. With the drive connected, without the drive connected and after restart connecting it. Nothing helped.

I finaly removed the eSATA connection and installed a Firewire connection. The drive showed up again. However after a sleep session, when I started next day, the drive was gone again. Multiple restarts did not help.

I tried to switch back to eSATA but that did not work either.

I am now at the point where I went and had the drive replased. I am up and running and can see my eSATA drive. What will happen tomorrow morning, I do not know. If this was a drive problem, it should work, if not Vista has a problem.
    I do suspect Vista more than the drive. The only change I made to the computer before this problem showed up was a delete of support for the HP Photosmart C5180 connected over the internet. (It never worked). Now HP just came out with this new version and the printer works, but my WD disk drive went crazy. Can there be a connection????

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1, 32 bit OS.

Have you checked the connection from the motherboard to the case which provides the eSata connection externally?  I use a 1TB eSata drive as well and have not had issues.  You didn't mention if you had been inside the case and perhaps moved things around a bit...
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:58 AM
  • All connections are OK. I have not been inside the case.
    Last night I installed a brand new 1TB drive. I did my backups and it all worked well. For safety, I only used the Firewire connection and not the eSATA. Today, the drive is gone again. No sign of it even in Disk Management.
    Now I am totaly lost. For sure it is not a drive problem. It has to be Vista.

Monday, June 08, 2009 6:19 PM
  • All connections are OK. I have not been inside the case.
    Last night I installed a brand new 1TB drive. I did my backups and it all worked well. For safety, I only used the Firewire connection and not the eSATA. Today, the drive is gone again. No sign of it even in Disk Management.
    Now I am totaly lost. For sure it is not a drive problem. It has to be Vista.

During my issues with sleep and Vista, someone from the MS team pointed out the excellent logging in the event logs for all sleep actions.  I would recommend you set aside time to view the notifications from your OS during the sleep timing events.  Any errors encountered during the shutdown and startup during sleep events is recorded and logged out to the event log.  I would also check your BIOS settings of your PC and make sure you have everything set up to be compatible with Vista (S1 vs. S3 sleep settings, USB setup as pertaining to sleep).  You would also do well to check to see if you have the latest drivers installed - you didn't note the type of machine you are using - laptop, desktop, etc. so I can't tell if you would have the need to update your base drivers.  Intel-based hardware receive Storage Matrix driver updates about once a year, so any Intel based machine could potentially have updates available.

I hope this helps.  One final suggesting, the whole issues with sleep sometimes require careful testing.  I was referred to a program called "sleeper", which gave me the ability to rapidly put my machine to sleep and then wake.  This allowed me to re-create the issues I was having with relative ease.  Perform your favorite web search for the software, they offer a shareware version at no cost....

-bill
    Monday, June 08, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for your tips. I have checked the event log and found a message that probably is one root to my problems but not the whole solution. This is the error message I found: The device 'Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller' (PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8024&SUBSYS_10001458&REV_00\4&476fcb2&0&30F0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal. This Error shows up during the startup after the Hybernation. I also get some errors saying that the VDS (Virtual Disk Service) has stopped working. My computer is a desktop that I put together myself. The motherboard is a GIGABYTE P35-DS3P. I have several internal WD drives. I also have one External USB connected drive. These all work fine. The new WD 1Tb drive is what gives me the problem. Since this is the second identical drive that I am trying with, I assume that I can rule out hardware disk problem. I can probably rule out any connections since I get the same problem if I connect using the Firewire connection or the eSATA connection. This kind of leaves Vista as the only problem.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Thanks for your tips. I have checked the event log and found a message that probably is one root to my problems but not the whole solution. This is the error message I found: The device 'Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller' (PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_8024&SUBSYS_10001458&REV_00\4&476fcb2&0&30F0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal. This Error shows up during the startup after the Hybernation. I also get some errors saying that the VDS (Virtual Disk Service) has stopped working. My computer is a desktop that I put together myself. The motherboard is a GIGABYTE P35-DS3P. I have several internal WD drives. I also have one External USB connected drive. These all work fine. The new WD 1Tb drive is what gives me the problem. Since this is the second identical drive that I am trying with, I assume that I can rule out hardware disk problem. I can probably rule out any connections since I get the same problem if I connect using the Firewire connection or the eSATA connection. This kind of leaves Vista as the only problem.

Interesting, I was running a GB P35 based board during my initial Vista problems, but all my issues were corrected with SP1.  I would point out that my workstation is not set to hybernate - only sleep.  I have also seen instances of having to restart an OS to get a USB drive properly detected within the OS.  Can you verify your power control settings you currently have set in your OS?  Please make sure you select "display hidden settings" to show how everything is set?  I will compare your settings to mine when I get home tonight.  Can you also confirm that you have reviewed your BIOS settings and have those set up properly as well?  I have a P35 manual, so I can review the settings you have configured there as well... One additional thing, the new WD drives don't have a power switch and can only be removed from Vista via the removal tool in the tray...
    Monday, June 08, 2009 8:21 PM
  • I am not sure what power control settings you are talking about. I went to the Control Panel and then Power Options.
    I can not find any "display hidden settings" in this panel. The Sleep setting is set to "Never".
    Anyhow, The WD drive is external and I keep it constantly attached, so I do not worry about power on/off.
    By the way, my WD 1Tb drive has a power button but it is very hard to see. It is on top of all connectors.

I am not sure what bios settings I should check. In your previous message you mention S1 vs. S3. where do I find that?

One interresting observation is:

When the computer goes to sleep mode, the lights on the hard drive turns off.
    When I wake up the computer in the morning, the lights come back on the hard drive, but it does not show up anywhere in the computer.
    One thing indicates that the computer communicates with the drive, another indicates the opposite.

Monday, June 08, 2009 8:40 PM
  • I am not sure what power control settings you are talking about. I went to the Control Panel and then Power Options.
    I can not find any "display hidden settings" in this panel. The Sleep setting is set to "Never".
    Anyhow, The WD drive is external and I keep it constantly attached, so I do not worry about power on/off.
    By the way, my WD 1Tb drive has a power button but it is very hard to see. It is on top of all connectors.

I am not sure what bios settings I should check. In your previous message you mention S1 vs. S3. where do I find that?

One interresting observation is:

When the computer goes to sleep mode, the lights on the hard drive turns off.
    When I wake up the computer in the morning, the lights come back on the hard drive, but it does not show up anywhere in the computer.
    One thing indicates that the computer communicates with the drive, another indicates the opposite.

To get to the advance settings, make sure you click "change advanced power settings" after clicking into your power plan.  My workstation has some key settings - "Sleep" - Sleep after 20 Minutes, Allow Hybrid Sleep = "On", Hybernate after = Never

The BIOS of the motherboard has a section for power settings.  I can outline that when I get home.  You might also check the WD web site to see if others have the issue using their external drives with Vista.  I have to believe your issue is not unique...I will update when I get home tonight and can direct you to the BIOS information.  Do you still have your manual that came with the board?

-bill
    Monday, June 08, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Yes, I have the Gigabyte manual. I found the S1/S3 and I am using S3.
    My power settings are like yours.

I checked the Gigabyte web site and found no new drivers.
    My WD External is now working again after I restarted the computer.
    Tomorrow morning it will be gone again.
    Monday, June 08, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Yes, I have the Gigabyte manual. I found the S1/S3 and I am using S3.
    My power settings are like yours.

I checked the Gigabyte web site and found no new drivers.
    My WD External is now working again after I restarted the computer.
    Tomorrow morning it will be gone again.

OK, here is the rundown:

Checking Technet, there are many hotfixes for drive issues within SP1 for Vista - I re-read your posts, you don't mention what version of Vista you are running - SP0?  If you have not service packed your machine, this would be my first recommendation.  Make sure you back up your drive first.  If you don't have backup software, I recommend Acronis. 

My chipset is running drivers issued by Intel dated May 2008
    I have installed Intel Storage Matrix version 8.5.0.1032

One other detail, I purchased a SATA CD/DVD ROM so i could disable the PATA interface in the BIOS.  I tend to disable any controllers not in use to speed up boot times and reduce IRQ load on the processor, so the JMicron controllers are disabled and my SATA controller is set to Native/AHCI mode.

BIOS settings:
    S3 mode selected
    Power button function set to "Sleep"
    PME wake event = yes
    Power on by ring = no
    Resume by alarm = disabled
    HPET support = yes
    HPET mode = 32 bit (I might have discovered why I am loosing my drives, this is set to 32 bit for Vista - my W7 install is 64 bit... hmmm)
    Power on by mouse = yes
    Power on by keyboard = yes
    KB power on password = no
    AC Back function = soft off

I have changed a few settings away from the default values for the processor and memory - I have manually set the Memory timings to match my memory.  The CPU clock is set by the BIOS as well.  My 2.66 normally runs at 2.00 when not under load.  No other OC settings are confirgured.

My power settings are as follows:
    require password = no
    turn off disks in 15 minutes
    I dont have a wireless adaptor
    Sleep after 20 minutes
    Allow hybrid sleep = yes
    Hibernate after = never
    USB selective suspend = disabled
    Power button matches the bios setting
    The balance of the settings were not changed except that I don't use a screen saver

Make sure you have the latest stable BIOS firmware.  Lastly, check your cabling.  I had to re-order a proper eSATA cable, my drive came with an improper cable for my setup.

Here is the information regarding my drives as reported by Storage Matrix.  One note, the Seagate drives I am running are using buggy firmware, but my main drive is the Hitachi.  I plan to go SSD for the RTM version of W7:

System Information
    Kit Installed: 8.5.0.1032
    Kit Install History: 8.5.0.1032, Uninstall
    Shell Version: 8.5.0.1032
    OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
    OS Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    System Name: PV45-Q4Q
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: EP45-UD3R
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
    BIOS Version/Date: Award Software International, Inc. F7, 02/24/2009
    Language: ENU
    Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager
    Intel Serial ATA Controller: Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
    Number of Serial ATA ports: 6
    Driver Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Serial ATA Plug-In Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Language Resource Version of the Serial ATA Plug-In: 8.5.0.1032
    ISDI Library Version: 8.5.0.1032

Hard Drive 0
    Device Port: 0
    Device Port Location: Internal
    Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 2
    Model: Hitachi HDT725050VLA360
    Serial Number: VFK431R4DV3NHL
    Firmware: V56OA7EA
    Native Command Queuing Support: Yes
    Size: 465.7 GB

Hard Drive 1
    Device Port: 1
    Model: WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0
    Serial Number: WD-WMATV0428622
    Firmware: 05.00K05
    Size: 931.5 GB

Hard Drive 2
    Device Port: 2
    Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 1
    Model: ST3500320AS
    Serial Number: 9QM01MNR
    Firmware: SD15

Hard Drive 3
    Device Port: 3
    Model: ST3500630AS
    Serial Number: 9QG1W4Q2
    Firmware: 3.AAK

Unused Port 0

Device Port: 4
    CD/DVD Drive 0
    Device Port: 5
    Current Serial ATA Transfer Mode: Generation 1
    Model: HL-DT-STDVD-RAM GH22NS30
    Serial Number: Data not reported
    Firmware: 1.01

Let me know if any of this information helps you resolve your drive issues...

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Thanks for all your information.

I am running Vista with SP1. I will check up on the additional drivers you specify.
    Got two questions for you.
    1.   What has the software drivers for hard disks got to do with a Firewire connection?
    Does the Firewire connection analyze the device connected and then forward processing to any hard drive software driver?

2.  Since the connection works after a restart but not after "Sleep" it kind of indicates to me that two different drivers are called by Vista.
    Is this possible???

I will get back to you when I have run many more tests. I am also waiting for WD support to get back to me.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Thanks for all your information.

I am running Vista with SP1. I will check up on the additional drivers you specify.
    Got two questions for you.
    1.   What has the software drivers for hard disks got to do with a Firewire connection?
    Does the Firewire connection analyze the device connected and then forward processing to any hard drive software driver?

2.  Since the connection works after a restart but not after "Sleep" it kind of indicates to me that two different drivers are called by Vista.
    Is this possible???

I will get back to you when I have run many more tests. I am also waiting for WD support to get back to me.

Responses:

1. My response to you from last night indicated which drivers I was running for my chipset as well as the storage matrix - the Firewire port would connect to the MB through one of the interfaces on your MB - most likely the PCI/PCIe bridge.  For the issue you encountered with the eSATA drive, you would be going through the Storage Matrix drivers.

2. I cannot confirm this, but my theory in both your case and mine, is that there is a timing issue between the hardware/drivers and the OS - that when the OS wakes up again, it doesn't give the drives time enough to spin up first, and then get re-initialized within the OS.  This is just a theory, and I have no supporting evidence for my idea here.  If this does turn out to be the case, you would have interaction between the driver responsible for reporting the hardware device (PCI bridge or Storage Matrix) and the interface within the OS.  There is probably a few modifications needed from both sides to come up with new solutions for Windows 7.  In your case, you might need to explore a bit to make sure you have not overlooked a new driver on the hardware side, or a new patch/hotfix on the OS side.  SP2 is now available for Vista now, by the way...

Keep digging, you are sure to uncover something....
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:59 PM
  • I have updated all drivers from Intel. They are all dated June 2009.
    I now cannot use the eSATA at all.
    The Firewire connection works after a reboot but not after sleep.
    I also found following strange message that occurs just before the message I posted before:

The driver has detected a device with old or out-of-date firmware. The device will not be used.

Details of this message indicate:

Source: sbp2port
    EventID: 25

If this message relates to the WD 1Tb drive, how can it be outdated firmware since it is brand new?
    It all sounds like a Vista problem to me.

I have Googled sbp2port and Eventid 25 but no valid answer can be found. All I can find are sugestions that the hardware is to old or unsupported.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 5:52 PM
    I also found following strange message that occurs just before the message I posted before:

The driver has detected a device with old or out-of-date firmware. The device will not be used.

If this message relates to the WD 1Tb drive, how can it be outdated firmware since it is brand new?

I have Googled sbp2port and Eventid 25 but no valid answer can be found. All I can find are sugestions that the hardware is to old or unsupported.

I don't have a ton of time, but can offer the following suggestions:

1. You always have the option to revert to your last driver version with a right-click in device manager.  This would bring you back to your old behavior.

2. Please take advantage of the Microsoft resources you have available via TechNet.  I did a quick search on TechNet with the only criteria being "sbp2port" and TechNet returned 5,980 results.  Not all of them will apply, but you are likely to find something of value for this issue.  The URL is simply Http://www.microsoft.com/technet 

please take some time to check out the information there - ieee 1394 looks to be a buggy issue in Vista...

-bill
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Hi,

this page mentions both "sbp2port" and "EventID 25": http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?EvtSrc=sbp2port&EvtCat=None&EvtID=25&EvtCatID=0&EvtType=Error&EvtTypeID=1&EvtRptTime=1102422803&EvtTZBias=-630&CoName=Microsoft%20Corporation&ProdName=Microsoft%c2%ae%20Windows%c2%ae%20Operating%20System&ProdVer=5.1.2600.0&FileName=IoLogMsg.dll&FileVer=5.1.2600.0 . Refers to XP, but the issue seems to reappear in Vista. And yes, it seems to be an issue with firewire connections, not necessarily with those of your HD connection.

"A 1394 storage device with more than one Logical Unit Number (LUN) may stop functioning if another 1394 device is either inserted or removed from the computer. ... When a 1394 bus reset occurs after a device is inserted or removed, the 1394 mass-storage driver (Sbp2port.sys) must reconnect to each LUN on a 1394 mass-storage device. 1394 mass-storage devices can only handle one reconnect request at a time. The Sbp2port.sys driver often submits more than one request a time, one for each LUN on the device. The mass-storage device ignores the multiple reconnect requests, and only reconnects the first LUN. Because of this, other LUNs on the device are not reconnected, and become non-functional." (from an old support page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311430/en-us, that recommends to install the latest service pack for Win2000 :-))

Solutions perhaps (!) may (!) be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929762/en-us. It says that the problem was solved (again) with Vista SP1, so if you are using that...
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:08 PM

Take a look at your application log and look for an entry from IAANTmon.  If you add your eSATA drive and you have installed the Storage Matrix, you should now see diagnostic entries in the application log.  Here is an entry from SM after I connect my eSATA and device and power it on:

Hard drive 'WD-WCAU46472942' was added.

System Report:-
    Intel RAID Controller: Unknown Controller
    Number of Serial ATA ports: 6

RAID Option ROM Version: Unknown
    Driver Version: 8.5.0.1032
    RAID Plug-In Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Language Resource Version of the RAID Plug-In: File not found
    Create Volume Wizard Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Language Resource Version of the Create Volume Wizard: File not found
    Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Language Resource Version of the Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard: File not found
    Modify Volume Wizard Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Language Resource Version of the Modify Volume Wizard: File not found
    Delete Volume Wizard Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Language Resource Version of the Delete Volume Wizard: File not found
    ISDI Library Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Event Monitor User Notification Tool Version: 8.5.0.1032
    Language Resource Version of the Event Monitor User Notification Tool: File not found
    Event Monitor Version: 8.5.0.1032

I have a feeling you should also see error messages displayed if your drive cannot be mounted as part of this notification.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:20 AM
  • I found the problem!!!!!!!

An external hard drive is considered a hot swapable device.
    As such the bios must indicate AHCI for the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode. Mine was "Disabled" indicating IDE mode.
    After reading up on AHCI on Vista, I had to change the Registry entry for AHCI devices. (msahci had to be enabled)
    After that a reboot with change of bios to AHCI, solved the problem since the new driver was automatically installed.

Thanks a lot to all of you who helped.

Bengt

Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I found the problem!!!!!!!

An external hard drive is considered a hot swapable device.
    As such the bios must indicate AHCI for the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode. Mine was "Disabled" indicating IDE mode.
    After reading up on AHCI on Vista, I had to change the Registry entry for AHCI devices. (msahci had to be enabled)
    After that a reboot with change of bios to AHCI, solved the problem since the new driver was automatically installed.

Thanks a lot to all of you who helped.

Bengt

Glad you are up and working.  Make sure you set up your Sleep criteria to your liking.  You can do a lot to avoid reboots, and have near-instant-on capabilities in Vista...
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:10 PM

• I have had the same problem with internal hard drives not appearing after sleep, in Vista x64.  The motherboard has been replaced, and all drivers are up-to-date.  Also, other external USB devices (ie. external hard drives) are found.  Go into the set-up menu on boot-up, and the drives are missing!

The only solution when the drives disappear is to turn off power to the PC, either by powering off the power supply or unplugging. 

I have just installed SP2, so maybe this will fix the problem .. however I don't think it will, since the drives are missing on boot-up when the problem happens.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:29 PM
  • I have solved the issue in my Windows 7 installation.  I took a backup of the partition and installed the 32 bit version to see if the problem existed and it did.  So I imaged the 32 bit partition and restored the 64 bit version to see if I could find a solution. 

I tried updating the motherboard drivers, which didn't seem to work, even though the drivers appeared to install.  I then downloaded the latest Storage Matrix drivers from Intel.  This fixed the drive issue for me.  Windows 7 still takes much longer to return from sleep than Vista.  I am seeing memory issues  as the kernel awakes from sleep in the event logs.  But, as the OS matures I am sure this issue will be addressed.  For now it is working and I am much more likely to start transitioning over to W7...

Good luck to all with remaining issues. 
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:07 AM