none
Add a Device Wizard Hangs While Searching For Devices

Question

• When adding a device the wizard hangs and never gets to the point where I can choice a device to install. 
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:57 PM

All replies

• What devices are connected when you're trying to do this?

-Nick
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:09 AM
  • I am surprised that there is no answer.

Steps to reproduce Problem (with a system that is not working correctly):

1. Click on "Devices and Printers"
    2. Click "Add a Device"
    3. The screen with "Select a Device to Add to this Computer" hangs with the message "Searching for devices... Make sure your device is discoverable."

Result: The last screen hangs forever and never lists ANY devices.

NOTE: This is NOT a problem with the device to be added!!  Thus, do not ask "What device are you trying to add?", it is irrelevant!

Why? The problem is with Windows 7 hanging on CURRENT devices. It is NOT a network device that cannot be accessed. It is not a bluetooth device... none are listed and none are nearby. ALL of the devices actually WORK!

Why is this a problem? ... The wizard is now WORTHLESS!

For example, I want to add a network printer. I try to add a device and the wizard hangs. If I go to the network print server directly (Server 2003) and right-click on the desired printer and choose "Connect" the printer is SUCCESSFULLY added.

It would be nice if someone actually acknowledged that there is a BUG with the logic in the Add Device Wizard search algorithm... clearly, it is hanging on either some CURRENT device or simply has bad logic that creates an infinite loop. All I can say is that ALL of the devices listed ARE AVAILABLE and they ALL WORK. This is not an issue with (let's say) a network device that is offline.... or a bluetooth device that is unavailable... or a device with a bad driver.

No ifs, ands, or buts ... the Wizard is BROKEN!

What triggers the hanging behavior is still unknown to me and it would be nice if someone actually tried to resolve the issue, or if someone has figured out what causes the issues and has found a fix (I.e. a bad registry entry), it would be nice if that was shared.

• Proposed as answer by ansh108 Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:39 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:13 PM
  •  I have had the same problem. Clicking on add a device just hangs forever and searching for an answer appears to be in vain. Trying to go to the Microsoft site and searching for " windows 7 add a device hangs" brings up hundreds of "answers" with nothing to do with the hang issue. Good luck! You will just have to use the add a legacy driver manual install!!
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Never had this issue, and Ive been able to add devices using the Add device wizard under Devices and Printers.  No Prob.
    Network Systems Engineer * Zvetco Biometrics * Windows Server 2008 R2 * Core2 6600 @ 3.30GHz * 16 GIGS RAM * NVIDIA 9400GT * ** " Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 01, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Its a same problem in Win 7 ultimate edition, i was trying to add a loopback adapter, and when i click on "Add Devices" it stuck for long or i guess hangs.

Although, it works fine with command promt by clicking "hdwwiz.exe" but still issue  needs to resolved with GUI interface.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Its a same problem in Win 7 - ultimate edition, however you can type hdwwiz.exe  in Command Promt. it will gives you the same window. Cheers :)
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:42 AM
  • I also have the same problem, where the add a device wizard just hangs and does nothing.  I'm trying to add a mass storage device which is only picked up by my laptop momentarily before it disappears.  Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks

Sunday, April 24, 2011 2:46 AM
  • Start the hdwwiz.exe from a Command prompt.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:24 AM
  • There is a solution to this problem and it's very simple. It's described in the following article in my blog:

http://pedrofln.blogspot.com/2011/06/solution-for-add-device-wizard-hanging.html

Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:01 AM
  • I have same problem. Win7/Ultimate. Starting manual device install does not work and should not be the solution. The problem is fairly recent. You start control panel - go to devices -- and then the system starts scanning for something and the green bar across the top indicating progress NEVER stops.

Trying to re-add bluetooth mouse previously connected. Yes. it is discoverable. Yes. It is one. Yes it links with my new computer that i just sent back to HP because it isn't any better than what i had.

I can't add any devices. Something changed after last updates.

Friday, December 09, 2011 3:18 PM
  • There is a solution to this problem and it's very simple. It's described in the following article in my blog:

http://pedrofln.blogspot.com/2011/06/solution-for-add-device-wizard-hanging.html

First of all, this is a WORKAROUND, not a SOLUTION. Second of all, your blog just tells people to use hdwwiz, which was proposed as a solution twice in November of last year as well as July of this year. This is nothing more than an underhanded attempt to push pageviews to your blog using information that is readily available in this thread. You are not helping anyone while at the same time contributing to the excess clutter and noise of the internet with your half-baked website.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:21 PM
  • I developed this problem after a trial of PC Anywhere. This really screwed up my home network so I uninstalled it and that's when the problem started. Windows explorer also hangs when when simply searching the network.  I verified all my files and none were corrupted, so this has to be a registry problem created by the installation of software.  The workaround let me add the printer, but I still can't access networked cpu's because Explorer is hanging in the network search.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I'm experiencing this problem also, is there no answer for the GUI freeze? 2 years and no useful response, what gives Microsoft?
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:16 AM
  • 1.Open Start Menu
    2.Type "Services" into the start box
    3.Click "Services"
    4.Click "Bluetooth Support Service"
    5.Click "Start"
    6.In the drop down menu select "Automatic"
    7.Click "Apply"

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:26 PM
  • One year later and I also this problem...and I could not find any solution for it. I still have hope that someone was smart enough to find the reason behind it.

Is there any way to run the "scan for new hardware" in debug mode to see what is is doing?

Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:15 PM