Windows Update Error Code 8024400A - Cannot Run windows update

Question

• I get an error code 8024400A when i try and run update.  Never had this in previous build.  Now running on Build 5728.  No issue with internet connection, checked that one first.  Anyone any ideas.
    Monday, October 16, 2006 1:53 PM

Answers

• Guy, no need to worry...RTM soon....You can use the real product than!
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:54 PM

All replies

• I too experienced the errors with 5728.  Reinstalled 5600, and updating was fine, upgraded again to 5728, and still errors on windows update.  Word on the street is that they disabled the updated for 5728 after RC2 came out, but haven't seen any true confirm from MS...who knows?
    Monday, October 16, 2006 6:42 PM
  • Try re-registering the MSXML3.DLL

1- Click Start>All Programs>Accessories>Run and type: "regsvr32 msxml3.dll" [without quotes] and Select Ok.
    2- Try Windows Update again.
    3- You may have to reboot to activate it.

Good luck

Monday, October 16, 2006 7:10 PM
  • I tried this, running Run as administrator, both without reboot and after reboot, and still get Code 8024400A error.  Thanks!
    Monday, October 16, 2006 7:35 PM
  • DId you got WSUS in the network? It's direct connection to internet?

ANy filewall installed?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:43 AM
  • Wind RC1 5600 update is working so perfectly. Windows Vista RC1 5728 is not stable and has many bugs and as it's beta, you're responsible on using it at your own risk.

Good luck

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:38 PM
  • I will suggest you to try RC2, Build 5744 too.
    Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:16 AM
  • I would try RC2 if it was available for public download.  Last attempt the link had been removed and all that is available is RC1.  Good ole Microsoft, encourage people to help with finding the faults and then when an update is available - limit it!!!!! No option even if you already have Vista!!!  Why cant the link be available to those who have valid product keys already???
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:51 PM
  • yes i agree with you entirely.  althought i'm one of the lucky ones who got rc2!!  wd have thought they keep it open for 250000 downloads min, but i guess if your big multi billion dollar company you can do what you want and screw the rest!  LOL
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:24 PM
  • Guy, no need to worry...RTM soon....You can use the real product than!
    Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:54 PM
  • Thanks heaps, it worked for me.

1- Click Start>Run and type: "regsvr32 msxml3.dll" [without quotes] and Select Ok.

No Idea why it started on 2 machines at the same time could not run windows update XP Pro Sp 2

having Launch Application 3.exe error on reboot ? something to do with Nokia program?

regards Colin col@oze.com.au

Sunday, October 22, 2006 8:23 PM
  • To isolate the problem, i would suggest to remove all 3rd party program. Or do a clean install of Vista.

Many 3rd party application will casue Vista to have problem. We may need to wait their new update release.

Monday, October 23, 2006 9:21 AM
  • RichardWu.  Any ideas on when their new update release will be.  Would not want to miss out on that one !!!  Already missed one because of the download limitation.  Stand by my guns though on my previous comment - why cant microsoft allow the download to be received by those already with Vista and assisting in finding the bugs for them!!!  One reply from ahmhdy was a classic in that we use this at our own risk!!!  Maybe we do but without those that use it would take alot longer to iron out the bugs!!!!!

Monday, October 23, 2006 11:38 AM
  • Hi Scott,

No more beta release. Seem Vista will RTM in this month. So, you may need to wait Vista RTM come.

By the way, it's MS decision for the download. If you really want to try it. Please subscriber to their paid MSDN/Technet services.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 5:13 AM
  • I agree about MS having every right to restrict the download of RC2, (or any other beta, for that matter), however, I question the reasoning behind disabling updating in build 5728.  When companies pull this kind of scheme I am tempted to not purchase their product on principal alone.  The only possible explanation for such action is to cause users of build 5728 to have a greater need to upgrade to the next level.  In this case, the next level is the purchased version.  Does MS really need to use such measures to get people to purchase their software?  Of course not.  Do they do everything in their power to squeeze every possible penny from every possible source?  Of course they do.  Just when I was beginning to like MS again...
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:59 PM
  • thx for comment.
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:26 PM