none
How to undock the Windows 7 laptop from Docking Station

Question

• Hello.

We are upgrading from Win XP to Win 7. I can not find "Undock" option when I try to undock the laptop from Docking Station.
    Please advise how to undock the Windows 7 laptop..

Appreciate your time reading and help.

Friday, September 09, 2011 12:37 AM

Answers

• So there is no way to undock win 7 except putting the laptop in sleep mode?

We undocked except putting the laptop in sleep mode on the XP.
    So I was just wandering why Microsoft set inconvenience way...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754084.aspx

To undock a portable computer

1. Click Start.

2. On the Start menu, to the right of the Power down and Lock buttons, click the arrow button to reveal the Shutdown Options menu.

If your computer is recognized by Windows as a portable computer that supports undocking, then Undock appears on this menu. If you computer is not recognized as a computer that supports undocking, then Undock does not appear.

3. Click Undock.

4. After you receive notification that it is safe to do so, undock your portable computer.I If you have a motorized docking station, your portable computer will undock automatically.

Additional considerations
    • Undock appears on the Shutdown Options menu only if the computer is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)-enabled and recognized as a portable computer in a docking station. If Undock does not appear on the Shutdown Options menu, your computer is not ACPI-enabled, or might not support undocking.

• Some computers have an eject button on the docking station. Pressing the eject button instead of following this procedure also undocks the laptop. For more information, see the documentation provided with your docking station.

If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    • Marked as answer by PSta Friday, September 09, 2011 2:58 AM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 1:15 AM

All replies

• Best practices is to put the laptop in sleep mode and to then use the hardware undock, meaning there should be a button or lever that you can push that will disconnect the laptop.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration toolkit
    Friday, September 09, 2011 12:47 AM

Friday, September 09, 2011 1:07 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754084.aspx

To undock a portable computer

1. Click Start.

2. On the Start menu, to the right of the Power down and Lock buttons, click the arrow button to reveal the Shutdown Options menu.

If your computer is recognized by Windows as a portable computer that supports undocking, then Undock appears on this menu. If you computer is not recognized as a computer that supports undocking, then Undock does not appear.

3. Click Undock.

4. After you receive notification that it is safe to do so, undock your portable computer.I If you have a motorized docking station, your portable computer will undock automatically.

Additional considerations
    • Undock appears on the Shutdown Options menu only if the computer is Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)-enabled and recognized as a portable computer in a docking station. If Undock does not appear on the Shutdown Options menu, your computer is not ACPI-enabled, or might not support undocking.

• Some computers have an eject button on the docking station. Pressing the eject button instead of following this procedure also undocks the laptop. For more information, see the documentation provided with your docking station.

• Marked as answer by PSta Friday, September 09, 2011 2:58 AM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Thank you very much for the information.

Our DELL E6410 does not have Undock Option...
    I will w-check the ACPI and if it does not work, I will contact DELL.

Appreciate the information.

Friday, September 09, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Problem is, everytime I press undock the computer goes into sleep mode by itself. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks for the info.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Thank's for pointing that out for the second time but as PSta stated I do not have this option either ...

We use HP Elitebook's and most of them does not even have the option when docked in.

Is there any patch to fix this issue ?

• Proposed as answer by Raglanian Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:50 PM
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 5:54 PM
  • I had this issue also but it was more to do with when i re-docked my laptop it would not reconnect to my monitor. If this is the issue then you just need to change some settings.

Open Control Panel: Power Options: Choose What Closing the Lid Does

In this menu you will see "When I Close the LID" and a 2 drops downs for "On Battery" & "On Plugged In". Both will be defaulted to Sleep which means when you re-dock and close the lid the Laptop goes to sleep. To get around this change both drop down options to " Do Nothing". Now when you re-dock the Laptop it should automatically re-connect to your monitor.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:30 AM

What is the way to check, whatever the computer is ACPI-enabled or not? Any quick hints for that? Thanks.

I noticed that GPO has no effect on this by default.

• Edited by yannara Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:41 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:40 AM