none
Windows 7 Very Slow If Many Fonts Installed

General discussion

• I've installed 533 fonts, comprised of the fonts that are coming with Windows 7, Office 2007 and CorelDRAW.

Wenn opening Word 2007 or when selecting a font from the DropDown list in CorelDRAW, these programs freeze for approx. half a minute. I guess that's because they are iterating through the font list then.

I remember there was some restriction on the number of fonts back on Windows 95/98. Does this restriction still exist? Or does someone know what causes this delay and how it can be stopped?

Any helpful answer is appreciated.

Regards,
    Axel Dahmen
    Friday, December 11, 2009 1:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I don’t think there is any restriction on the number of fonts.

Did your system run quickly before installing these fonts?

If you make sure the large number of the fonts is the cause of this performance issue, I would like to suggest you upgrade the hardware configuration and increase the virtual memory. I recommend you to install the updates for Windows 7, Office 2007 and Corel DRAW.

In addition, you may also try to run the system in Clean Boot to check if the performance is increased.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

thank you for your reply.

Actually yes, the system always runs satisfactorily except when Word starts and except when I have the font list drop down in CorelDRAW. Or if I open the C:\Windows\Fonts\ folder in Windows Explorer.

I can't possibly increase my machines' performance. They all are equipped with an Intel Quad Core CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard disks, all the latest drivers an patches automatically applied through Windows Update. Plus, I'm running the 64 bit edition of Windows 7.

So given these parameters I don't believe I can possibly increase anything from my side to have font enumeration run fluently...

But I haven't heard about Clean Boot yet. I'll try this solution and come back with the results afterwards.

Axel Dahmen
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:33 AM
  • I don’t think there is any restriction on the number of fonts.
    If you want to learn about these restrictions you can find appropriate information here ...
    Monday, December 14, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Hi Axel,

Thanks for sharing the information with me.

I don’t hear about the such restriction in Windows 7. But I notice that Microsoft Word and CorelDRAW will load the fonts when starting. It is logical that loading more fonts need more time.

I also notice that your computer is high hardware configuration. If increasing the virtual memory and run them in Clean Boot cannot improve the performance, you may need to backup and uninstall some fonts.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:13 AM
  • I've been doing graphic design for several years and have around 30GB of fonts currently. After awhile managing fonts using only the builtin Windows tools is going to pose a problem. So I suggest getting a font manager if you plan on using many fonts. For Windows, I use Extensis Suitcase (now Suitcase Fusion) which you can download here:

http://www.extensis.com/en/products/suitcasefusion2/index.jsp

Then you can create groups which you can load on-demand, e.g., cursive, decorative, retro, bold, Word fonts, etc... After you finish with them go and disable the groups to speed up the system and any applications.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Thanks for the hint. The Corel suite already comes with Bitstream Font Navigator. NB: I'm also doing graphics design for 25 years now.

The problem with fonts on demand is that it's plain bothersome to open/print old documents just to notice that some of the fonts have been printed completely wrong and out of place after printing because the corresponding program, e.g. Word, has replaced them without further notice.

The best solution would be to provide a Windows API for being able to deactivate fonts in the Fonts folder and to have programs request fonts from this Windows API so Windows would then temporarily enable them until the program releases the request.

So, e.g., if a document was opened that contained an installed, but deactivated font, the document's program would request that font from the API, the API would temporarily "install" the font and "uninstall" that font again when the documents got closed.

Text in font lists from font drop-down lists could be rendered from this new Windows API as well, being able to render short text examples without actually having a font installed.

With this new functionality, installing fonts would become unnecessary at all.

That would be much more dynamic and no further ado with font managers would be necessary.

• Edited by BetterToday Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:48 AM
  • That would be a good idea.

I also hope the software developers can design such dynamic features for the programs which need to load many files when launching.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

did you mean "files" or "fonts"?

Yes, sure, software developers would certainly need to make use of this new font API in order to speed up their DTP programs.

With just common Windows fonts installed and enabled, common programs wouldn't need to bother with this new font API. Only programs incorporating Rich Text features, for example, would tend to increase their speed significantly using such new font API.

NB:
    "Installed" in this sense just means that the fonts are available from the %windir%\Fonts\ folder, either directly or through a soft link. The "enabled" feature would require a new custom attribute to be used in the %windir%\Fonts\ folder.

Fonts installed but not enabled would not be loaded by the Windows standard API, right as if they were not installed.

Common programs would only "see" the fonts being installed and enabled. But programs using the new font API would be able to also access the fonts being installed and not being enabled.

Having access to disabled fonts means that programs using the new API could temporarily enable particular fonts, e.g. while a particular document is kept open.

For font browsing they wouldn't enable all the disabled fonts but instead use two new, asynchronous, API functions, one for retrieving the list of all installed fonts (perhaps using a flag determining if this list of font names will only contain enabled, disabled or both kinds of fonts), and a second function using a font family name, font size and any arbitrary short text for rendering the provided text into a given graphics content area (= clipping area). This API function ought to cache its output in order to speed up font browsing when scrolling through a long list of fonts.

Another new API function might even expand the font browsing functionality by accepting all parameters required to temporarily render text directly into a document (using a given font name, size, hyphenation call-back pointer and other parameters). This would enable kind of a live preview.

Well, my 2 cents...
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Check this out, guys! I installed 65,000 fonts over about 2 days. Freakin' brilliant, right? Low and behold, I can smoke 2 cigarettes before my computer will even make the "startup sound". Illustrator cs3, word, acrobat, and pretty much every darned program that uses fonts for creative work will freeze almost indefinitely on startup. When I tried to go in and delete some of these fonts it takes literally an hour before the font section in control panel will show even a single font. Word to the wise, don't install 65,000 fonts just because you want accessibility. It's like buying a hair growth pill that includes symptoms of comas or death. 

Words can't express my angst right now...

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:31 PM
  • lol~same ere and now im trying to find a solution for this..by finding a font manager..
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:03 PM
  • I use Corel Presentations (instead of Power Point).  After recently purchasing a new Dell with Windows 7, when I am giving a presentation the Highlighter function that has Corel, has a delay of approximately 45 seconds.  Therefore, when you highlight a phrase that you want to emphasize during your seminar discussion, the highlighter does not mark the slike until 45 seconds later.  Therefore, by the time you end up explaining to your audience what you want to stress, the highlighter has not appeared on teh screen because of teh delay.  This does not happen in Windows Vista or previous versions. 

Does anybody know how can I solve this?

I already installed the updates for Windows 7.

Thanks,

Carlos R. Paula

paula@laborcounsels.com

Friday, July 02, 2010 8:26 PM
  • This sounds more like a compatibility issue to me.

Did you try running Corel Presentation in Vista Compatibility mode?

I would also suggest to open a case at Corel to make them aware of the problem.

HTH,
    Axel Dahmen

Saturday, July 03, 2010 8:19 AM
  • Hey Axel,

I'm seeing something similar. While I only have 201 fonts installed (Win7 Ent x86, Core 2 Duo 3GHz, 4Gig, ATI Radeon HD 3450) and Outlook 2007 and Word 2007 don't appear to take too long to start up.  Whenever I click the font list drop down, it takes ages to render, starting with an empty frame, then a black box and finally the list of fonts.

What's really weird, is that if I click the drop-down over and over again in the same document/email, it's only the first time that is slow. However, if I open a new email, or new document (without closing Outlook/Word), then I get the delay again.

It's like the font-cache is per document!

Given that I only have 201 fonts installed (basically Win7 + Office 2007 + one or two others), could this be a video driver issue instead? I'm running the latest 11.5 drivers from ATI/AMD.

Any ideas? As I shouldn't need a font manager solution for what is a fairly small set of fonts.

Thanks
    Craig

Note: My win7 performance numbers are:

• Proc: 6.5
    • RAM: 6.9
    • Gfx: 3.8
    • Gaming: 5.4
    • HD: 5.9
    • Edited by Craig Humphrey Wednesday, June 01, 2011 12:05 AM Win7 performance numbers added
    Wednesday, June 01, 2011 12:04 AM
  • It appears that I am late to this conversation, I have the same issue and it is not Corel Draw or any program that make the system slow. The fonts folder has restriction on it and there is no way to increase the number of GB it permits, so it make the computer slow, I am sure they know this but as not made any move to resolve this and I am guessing this is the reason why Apple computer get away with making their system more graphic designer friendly.

This is a issue Microsoft need to resolve!!!!!!

http://www.prepressure.com/fonts/basics/windows-7-font-handling

• Edited by cdowner Sunday, October 23, 2011 11:05 AM
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:27 AM

• It appears that I am late to this conversation, I have the same issue and it is not Corel Draw or any program that make the system slow. The fonts folder has restriction on it and there is no way to increase the number of GB it permits, so it make the computer slow, I am sure they know this but as not made any move to resolve this and I am guessing this is the reason why Apple computer get away with making their system more graphic designer friendly.

If the font is installed in the usual way, the font files are placed in the
    Fonts directory. That is usually C:\Windows\Fonts. However, it depends on
    which drive and directory is the boot directory for the system. In addition,
    information is written into the registration database pointing to the font.
    The installed font entry, with Vista, is in the key
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft|WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 11:04 AM

If the font is installed in the usual way, the font files are placed in the
    Fonts directory. That is usually C:\Windows\Fonts. However, it depends on
    which drive and directory is the boot directory for the system. In addition,
    information is written into the registration database pointing to the font.
    The installed font entry, with Vista, is in the key
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft|WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Fonts.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/vista-fonts-folder-how-to-keep-deleted-fonts-deleted
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 11:04 AM
  • As I already wrote above, Microsoft should start to implement a mechanism similar to the one I suggested above.

Unfortunately up until today they don't have a customer feedback channel to suggest missing functionality in a trackable fashion.

Thus:

Vote here for a Microsoft Connect feedback channel on Windows - and win a better Windows!

Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:02 PM
  • Thank you for the feedback.  I will note the issue in our database for future product review and development.

Sincerely, Susan Microsoft Community Support
    Friday, December 30, 2011 10:41 PM