none
Task Scheduler Service Not Available

Question

• Currently when I open Task Scheduler I am greeted with no errors, however when I click on Action>Display All Running Tasks I get the error "Task Scheduler Service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it". I have only two active Tasks and they are: MP Scheduled Scan and ScheduledDefrag. If I go through any of the tasks located in the Task Schedule Library all of the information is blank except for the Defrag located in Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows>Defrag. In Addition I do have a schedule for Microsoft Antimalware located in Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>MP Antimalware.

The reason I am having problems with Task Schedule service now is I deleted the sub keys found in Task Cache as mentioned in a different post to try and solve my original problem I was having with Task Scheduler. The path in the registry is as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Task Cache.

Originally when I would start Task Scheduler I would get the message {System.Exception: Catastrophic Failure (Exception from HRESULT:0X8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)). Through looking on the Technet forum I found that this error was caused by a broken task. In my case it was due to Real player which was no longer installed. I had 2 or 3 keys and only one of them seemed to be causing the error.

If I went to the Task folder located in system32 and deleted the one key that was causing the problem I would get a new error when I started Task Scheduler which was "The selected task "{0}" no longer exists. To see the current task, click Refresh. As soon as I put the file back that error would go away and I would be back to the original error of: {System.Exception: Catastrophic Failure (Exception from HRESULT:0X8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)).

Let me explain what I have tried so far. I have the 3 rogue files that seemed to be attributed to Real player. Two of the files contained the name Real player while the other was a bunch of letters and numbers. The three files are: {C563BBD2-E3A5-404B-9AA4-38714A9D2199}, RealUpgradeLogonTaskS-1-5-21-3164650502-1906695553-3642308076-1001, RealUpgradeScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-3164650502-1906695553-3642308076-1001.

I have run a scan with SFC /Scannow and it didn't find any errors with the file system.

I have a full backup of my registry before I modified anything. No matter how much I try to either merge or import the registry file I get an error stating that the registry can't be found. This was from running a command prompt on startup and repair my computer.

Even if I was able to restore my registry I still would be back to the same place of having the Catastrophic failure error. However I would still have Task Scheduler functionality.

I have already performed a system restore and I don't have any left to choose from.

Is there a way to either reinstall Task Scheduler or at least do a sweep of the system for current tasks that need to be scheduled by programs or is this only a fix that a OS reinstall would correct? I currently don't know the state that Task Scheduler is in. It does open with no errors but the service doesn't seem to be running. If I schedule something say for disk defragmentation thats when that task was scheduled and shown in Task Scheduler. 

I am running Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

• Edited by JTtechnology Thursday, September 09, 2010 11:14 PM Added more information
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, September 12, 2010 4:39 PM Moved to appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 11:07 PM

Answers

• Reloaded Windows as an upgrade (while saving all my settings and files) fixed my problem.
    • Marked as answer by JTtechnology Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:39 PM
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Could Task Scheduler be turned off in your domain group policy?  This is a common anti-malware setting.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Don't believe so. In Services Task Scheduler is Started and Startup Type is set to Automatic. The settings can't be changed, they are all grayed out.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Is there a way to restore the Task Scheduler to normal operation after the Task Cache registry key has been cleared or is the only way to correct this is to reinstall windows?

Would another system running Windows 7 help in this situation?

Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:31 AM
  • If it's greyed out that tells me it's a domain group policy issue.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:48 PM
  • My machine is not part of a Domain, it is a part of a Workgroup. In addition when I check services on another Windows 7 machine (whose Task scheduler is in a virgin state) Task Scheduler is greyed out there as well. It can't be changed.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:45 PM
  • I have got the solution for the similar problem on VISTA.

In your case, you are running Windows 7.

Try to download the scheduler.reg file and follow the mentioned steps in the article.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/task-scheduler-service-properties-are-grayed-out/

Hope it will work on Windows 7.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:48 PM
  • I downloaded the file but Windows 7 sees it as a text file. I can't merge it with the registry. I assume its because its a different version 5.00 vs 6.01.

I don't think that this is my problem. The service is started but as I've mentioned in previous posts my Task Scheduler is in a virgin state. Its as if none of the previous tasks will run unless I manually schedule it in a program.

Since Task Scheduler is missing the keys that got deleted in "Task Cache" it does not know the previous tasks that were supposed to run. In the services window task scheduler has started but the actual program Task Scheduler reports that it isn't when I click on "Display all running tasks"

This is really odd.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:05 PM
  • My machine is not part of a Domain, it is a part of a Workgroup. In addition when I check services on another Windows 7 machine (whose Task scheduler is in a virgin state) Task Scheduler is greyed out there as well. It can't be changed.

Sorry, my mistake.  Good luck!
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Bump
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Reloaded Windows as an upgrade (while saving all my settings and files) fixed my problem.
    • Marked as answer by JTtechnology Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:39 PM
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Cool!

Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:45 PM
  • hi i have the same problem here but i have not changed the reg keys you say you have Reloaded Windows as an upgrade

what do you mean? you upgraded to another windows 7 version? like home to pro ?

Friday, October 29, 2010 9:35 AM