none
Windows won't let me leave a homegroup to connect to a new one

Question

• I would like to join my boyfriend's homegroup so we can share music files with each other.

I have never connected to a homegroup before but when I go to Network and Sharing Center->Choose Homegroup and Sharing Options it tells me that I am already connected to a homegroup that I am unaware of.
    In attempt to join his homegroup I went to Leave Homegroup and clicked Leave Homegroup. I get the error message "Windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup."
    So, after a deep web search I tried a few "solutions" that didn't really help me.
    One method was to go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst and delete the file, but that file doesn't exist under PeerNetworking for me! There's only a folder called "585eb656982aef8d22947a687990bb078658a2fe.HomeGroupClassifier" and a file named "38bfb51de77b2115fc9d2da34a41fb3b.sst".
    Another method was to go to services.msc and disable HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider, then try leaving homegroup.
    Unfortunately that didn't work either, I'm still getting the error that I can't remove my computer from the homegroup.

Are there any other methods that I'm unaware of? This is frustrating. I've never connected to a homegroup in my life, I'm not sure why my computer would be connected to one that I didn't know about, let alone not even let me leave it!
    Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try it after switching off you antivirus application.

Also try 

Network and sharing center ->under view your active networks look for Home Network -> click it and try to change it to Work/public network

Thanks and Regards Mohamed

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try it after switching off you antivirus application.

Also try 

Network and sharing center ->under view your active networks look for Home Network -> click it and try to change it to Work/public network

Thanks and Regards Mohamed

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:21 AM
  • I am having the EXACT same problem that BrittaniAlexis is having, with the only difference from her scenario is that I've got another (newer) Windows 7 computer where all of this works fine.  On my older Win7 computer, I have the problem she mentions above: it's configured for a HomeGroup that I never set, there is no idstore.sst file in the C:\Windows\SystemProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming like the newer one -- though it does the same same files that Brittani mentions above.  My system drive letter is C.  I'm showing hidden files/folders, checked permissions on that folder (even set Everyone to full control in a long shot attempt to see if it's permissions).

I've already stopped the HomeGroupx services, tried setting to disabled and restarting, etc.  I've even tried using the reg file that in a few articles "fixes" the service.  Nothing will change the scenario:  I cannot get the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service (aka "PNRPsvc") to start!!!!  And no, none of these problems started when I started trying the fixes.  The errors have remained the same, and I tried one solution at a time, restarting after each one.  My error is:

Event ID 102 "The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x806320a1."

There are additional errors in the log related to the dependent service "Peer Network Grouping" not being able to start, but that's because it depends on the PNRPsvc.  I can't seem to get THIS service to start.

Please help!!!

• Edited by ImAllEars Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:43 PM minor grammatical error
    Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:43 PM
  • had  same problem today - when at starbucks - usually i just connect to an existing network but was not possible and not possible to leave the homegroup

i restored my computer to an earlier time and fixed the problem that way so either microsoft updates or virus caused the problem not sure but try to restore computer to an earlier time

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:22 AM