none
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Service will not start - file not found - Windows XP SP3

Question

• Ok, first let me say that I just finished cleaning up the aftermath of the XP Antivirus 2012 malware....  so this may be related.  I am left with a firewall that won't run and applications that can't connect to the internet.  The Windows Firewall/ICS service is not running and will not start - says file not found.  My question is - WHAT file is not found??  I have verified that svchost is where is should be as well as two other files I was directed to in another post.... IPNATHLP.DLL and IPNAT.SYS... both are where they should be.  Any other ideas???
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:30 AM

All replies

• Have you seen this website already? http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/251/1/Error-2-when-starting-the-Windows-Firewall-service.html

It mentions: This problem occurs if one or both of the files ipnathlp.dll or ipnat.sys are missing. To resolve this problem, extract a new copy of the missing file from the Windows XP CD-ROM. Ipnathlp.dll should be present in the %systemroot%\system32 folder, and ipnat.sys should be present in the %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder on the computer's hard disk. To extract the missing files, follow these steps:
    - Insert the Windows XP disk into the CD drive.
    - Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK
    - At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER.
    - expand X:\i386\ipnathlp.dl_ %systemroot%\system32\ipnathlp.dll
    - Similarly, expand ipnat.sys file to the Drivers folder. Use the following command:
    - expand X:\i386\ipnat.sy_ %systemroot%\system32\drivers\ipnat.sys

My blogs: Henk's blog and Virtuall | Twitter: @HenkHoogendoorn | Profile: LinkedIn
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Have you seen this website already? http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/251/1/Error-2-when-starting-the-Windows-Firewall-service.html It mentions: This problem occurs if one or both of the files ipnathlp.dll or ipnat.sys are missing. To resolve this problem, extract a new copy of the missing file from the Windows XP CD-ROM. Ipnathlp.dll should be present in the %systemroot%\system32 folder, and ipnat.sys should be present in the %systemroot%\system32\drivers folder on the computer's hard disk. To extract the missing files, follow these steps:
    - Insert the Windows XP disk into the CD drive. 
    - Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK 

- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER. 
    - expand X:\i386\ipnathlp.dl_ %systemroot%\system32\ipnathlp.dll
    - Similarly, expand ipnat.sys file to the Drivers folder. Use the following command:
    - expand X:\i386\ipnat.sy_ %systemroot%\system32\drivers\ipnat.sys

I have had this same problem. Within a second of trying to start the service it fails with "The system cannot find the file specified". I expanded the 2 files from my XP CD, rebooted and tried again. This time the progress bar got about 3/4 of the way across and then failed with the same issue.
    Monday, January 09, 2012 5:08 PM