none
Windows 7 remote desktop connection cannot logoff the local user

Question

• Windows 7 remote desktop connection cannot logoff the local user

Remote Desktop connection:
    (This experience is from Windows 7 remote to Windows Embedded Standard 7 computer)

I used Remote Desktop to try to log on to a Windows 7 (WES7E) computer and someone is already logged on locally (Console Session), I saw a message like this:

"Another user is currently logged on to this computer.  If you continue, this user has to disconnect from this computer.  Do you want to continue?"

I click on Yes.

Then I saw "Please wait for [username] to respond".  No action from the logged-on local user, I waited for 30 seconds, then I was able to login the computer and at the same time was able to disconnect the logged-on local user. 

Question:

1. "Another user is currently logged on to this computer..." message doesn't show me the actual logged-on user name.  Is there any way to show the user name in this pop-up message?

2. After waiting for 30 seconds, I was able to login the computer and the logged-on local user is disconnected, however this local user is never been logged-off.  I wanted to logoff the local user (with Console Session) when I made the connection remotely to the computer from remote desktop (Just like Windows XP)  Is there any group policy can change the behavior?

The policies I have looked at are:

Local Computer Policy | Computer Config | Admin Templates | Windows Components | Remote Desktop Services|Connections|Deny logoff of an administrator logged in to the console session => disabled

Regards,

Mei Davis

Thursday, August 09, 2012 2:00 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

These behavior is by design. There is no way to change that. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mei2012 Monday, August 13, 2012 8:43 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

These behavior is by design. There is no way to change that. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mei2012 Monday, August 13, 2012 8:43 PM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

1) So there really isn't a way to log of the (local) user when connecting to a workstation in the domain as an administrator (Remote Desktop connection)?
     2) What's the new way to connect when something "bad happens" (for example a domain user is doing something nasty) and you want to take over the machine?

(Why does MS always change one of the few nice things... :-(

• Proposed as answer by xschen2000 Friday, January 24, 2014 7:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by xschen2000 Friday, January 24, 2014 7:58 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 1:31 PM
  • How can I know who is logged on the RDP session? It is quite useful to contact the user before I terminate his session. The 30 seconds warning might not be helpful is the user is not monitoring the screen.  Thanks,  --Harry

Harry Chen

Friday, January 24, 2014 9:09 PM