none
A problem prevented Customer Experience Improvement Program data from being sent to Microsoft

Question

• On several Windows 7 systems, including newly-installed ones, I have noticed that the scheduled task that Uploads CEIP (Customer Experience Improvement Program) data fails much more often that it succeeds.  For example, on one system, the only recent successful instances of this task were on 2011-01-06 and 2010-12-23.

The failures generate Event 1008 in the Application log, and reference error 80004005 ("unspecified error") or 90080108 (I can't find a description of this error).

The following topic from about a year ago titled Event ID 1008 - Error 80004005 (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/498ba27a-39b7-44ee-afb4-c61b297dcd0a/) raises this subject.  The response by Dale Qiao links to the following TechNet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774625(WS.10).aspx, which states "This failure has no adverse effects on other parts of the operating system, and no action is required of users".  This suggests that Event 1008 is expected behavior. 

However, this TechNet article was published 2008-06-06, applies to Windows Server 2008, and Event 1008 is a Warning level event.  In Windows 7 it is an Error level event.

Can anyone confirm that persistent occurrence of Event 1008 in Windows 7 is expected behavior?  Or if it is not expected behavior, how to fix?

Also, what is error 90080108?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, that’s expected behavior. The generally solution to prevent this error is turn off or disable CEIP. The technical article is still applied for Windows 7.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, that’s expected behavior. The generally solution to prevent this error is turn off or disable CEIP. The technical article is still applied for Windows 7.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 9:07 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

What about a description for error 90080108?

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my late reply.

Error 90080108 is also a part of CEIP Event ID 1008, the description is:

A problem prevented Customer Experience Improvement Program data from being sent to Microsoft, (Error 90080108)

That’s the same as http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774625(WS.10).aspx

It’s also the expected behavior.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Thanks.  I'm not sure your answer about error code 90080108 is correct though.  Event 1008 can occur with at least one other error code: 80004005 ("unspecified error").

The link you gave shows this - in the Message field, the text is "A problem prevented Customer Experience Improvement Program data from being sent to Microsoft (Error %1)", where %1 is a variable that is populated by the error code.

My guess is that the error code was intended to give more information about what the problem was that prevented Customer Experience Improvement Program data from being sent to Microsoft.

Friday, January 28, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

Since this issue relate with CEIP, usually we disable CEIP to solve this issue. This failure has no adverse effects on other parts of the operating system, and no action is required of users.

And CEIP will cause some crashes in Windows 7 pc, like explorer, msi-based installers or other applications, you can view this article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/482081d7-faa4-4206-b945-6e2e432277d5

This link of CEIP FAQ maybe helpful to you:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ceip/EN-US/default.mspx

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Monday, January 31, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Thanks once again for replying.  I agree with your suggestion that disabling CEIP will prevent Event 1008 from being generated.  I hope you will leave this thread as unanswered though because someone, perhaps from the CEIP team, will add information about error codes 90080108 and 80004005, both of which appear with Event 1008.

If you need to mark this thread as answered, I can open a new one specifically asking about these error codes.

Monday, January 31, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

I feel apologize to inform you that we have no special CEIP team. And I’m sure the article

Event ID 1008 — CEIP Upload is still apply to Windows 7.

Since this article is a part of technet library of Windows Server, maybe you can find any other explanation or solution there:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

·         The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

I will mark my first reply as answer. It could help other communities here who have the same issue.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Friday, February 04, 2011 6:07 AM
  • How is it a solution to the problem to disable CEIP?  If you are honestly trying to get feedback, why would you say that it is expected behavior to get an error message, and that you fix the error by disabling the service.  That isn't a "fix".  That is a workaround. 

• Edited by nukeitmike Monday, May 07, 2012 5:10 PM
    Monday, May 07, 2012 5:09 PM
  • I'm starting to think that, should your behaviour disagree with MS expectations, the CEIP errors so that your particular usage statistics do not contribute to the results.
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:36 AM
  • I completely agree with 'nukeitmike'. This event is listed in the Event Viewer under Errors. If it is intended behavior the only possible classification is 'information'.

The 'error' part of of the Event Viewer is the number 1 place where we start searching for problems when systems crash inadvertedly. Any message misplaced in this area causes actions by thousands of administrators hunting for the reasons of BSOD's.

Microsofts's answer shows an incredible snotnosed attitude against their clients!
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:53 AM
  • For Microsoft to say an ERROR message is "expected behavior" and offer no solution to this ERROR message is 180 degrees from the purpose of the program.

That's ridiculous.

Joe Gambill

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:31 PM
  • In response to: "we have no special CEIP team"

Oh really? If Microsoft has no Customer Experience Improvement Program in place, then you really should disable the service and or remove the service with a windows update rather than let end users event logs fill up with needless critical error messages.

I for one, take any critical error in the event logs as a call for action. Expending a quarter to half an hour searching for a solution for this error only to find that this error is "expected behavior" and the fix is to ignore it is a cop out. I have seen this very response on too many critical event log messages from Microsoft. Placing needless false errors in the event log is like calling wolf. You do this too many times, and the seriousness of the issue is lost.

Allowing false errors to appear in the event logs is a waste of my time and in my books, is a grievous offense. Multiply this by who knows how many system administrators who also waste their time on this and other similar false positives, and the wasted time becomes a serious squandering of your customers money as we sysops do not work for free. This has got to stop or these inappropriate product behavior issues (false error messages) and the laissez-faire attitude of Microsoft Support will be your downfall.

Friday, October 18, 2013 4:50 AM