none
Installing Windows 7 Pro on a system with Windows 8 pre-installed

Question

• Is it possible to install Windows 7 Pro on a system which has Windows 8 pre-installed? If not, is is possible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro and then downgrade to Windows 7 Pro?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 03, 2013 3:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• It is possible.  An easy way would be to go to disk management, shrink the C volume, then boot to the Windows 7 disc and when setup asks where to install just select your new volume, don't select the C drive where Windows 8 is installed.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:53 PM
  • You would need to purchase Windows 7 Professional – Full Version, boot from the Windows 7 Pro DVD, delete the hard drive partition Windows 8 is installed on, create a new partition, then install Windows 7 Pro.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by JSS2020 Friday, January 04, 2013 4:07 AM
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:23 PM
  • That's what I did but when I try to install Windows 7 Pro I get a message "Windows 7 cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." Is it possible for GPT and MBR partitions to co-exist on one physical drive?
    Friday, January 04, 2013 4:00 AM
  • That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping I could install Windows 7 Pro without deleting Windows 8 but Win 7 refuses to get installed on GPT style partitions.

Would a Windows 7 Pro -Full version downloaded from Technet also suffice for this purpose? I read someone saying that his MSDN Windows 7 didn't work with UEFI but one bought commercially did work. BTW, I had to change UEFI to Legacy in the BIOS for my system to recognize the Win 7 Pro DVD.

Friday, January 04, 2013 4:06 AM
  • Q.  "Would a Windows 7 Pro -Full version downloaded from Technet also suffice for this purpose?"

A.  Yes.  The bits are conventional....the same that comes in a retail package.

Carey Frisch

Friday, January 04, 2013 4:14 AM
  • oh well, GPT explains it all then.  Wouldn't of suggested that if I'd known GPT partition.  Carey's is a feasible option then.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Friday, January 04, 2013 5:02 AM
  • Before I delete the partition with Windows 8 let me explain what I see when I go to Disk Management. There is only one physical hard disk in this Sony laptop but Disk Management shows various partitions.

There are some partitions that have no letter associated with them. They are OEM Partition (260 MB), Recovery Partition (1.44GB), EFI System Partition (260 MB), and another Recovery Partition

(36.32GB).

Then there is the C drive that has Windows 8 installed on it. It is listed as a Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition.

Then there is the partition that I created to try to install Win 7 Pro - E drive also mentioned as primary partition.

I was unable to install Win 7 pro because the E drive is a GPT style partition.

Should I delete just the C drive (I have created a backup image of it) or do I have to format the complete hard disk including all the other partitions which I have mentioned above? Would the deletion/formattiing have to be done from the command prompt while trying to install Win 7?

Thanks!

• Edited by JSS2020 Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:14 AM
    Friday, January 04, 2013 11:56 PM
  • Is MBR the alternative to GPT partitions? Is that Windows 7 Pro requires? Would the new partitions be MBR if I turn off UEFI in the BIOS or do I have to do something else?

Thanks!

Friday, January 04, 2013 11:59 PM