none
Control Panel opens and closes in Windows 8 Pro

Question

• I just intalled Windows 8 Pro over my W7 Ultimate and when I try to open the control panel it just flashes for less than a second. I can see the icons but closes.

I have uninstalled all the programs that could cause conflict and the issue is still persisting. Any ideas?

Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:00 PM

All replies

• I even tried to lauch it from System32/control.exe in possible manners, tried changing permisions and nothing.

Always learning.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Run ProcessMonitor in background and look what control.exe and Explorer.exe do and why the process closes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Dear Andre,

Thanks for your reply, this is what it shows each time I try to open control.exe:

19:44:06,1963482    explorer.exe    6968    RegOpenKey    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\control.exe    NAME NOT FOUND    Desired Access: Read

Thanks.

Always learning.

Monday, September 03, 2012 12:49 AM
  • Hi,

This information cannot narrow down the root cause. Please search cmd and run as administrator. Then type sfc /scannow command. Meanwhile, you can check logs in Event Viewer.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Save the file as PML, zip it, upload it to your SkyDrive and post a link here.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:24 PM