Windows Update Error Code 80070005 Vista Home Premium

General discussion

• Hi All,

Recently (within 6 days, as that is the last successful update), I have been receiving the message "Windows could not search for new updates" when I push check for updates in Windows Update. My account has administrator priveleges, I have tried updating with my firewall and AV software disabled to no avail. I am assuming it was a recent update that has caused this problem.

Windows update reports that the Error Code is 80070005. From scouring the internet I know that this has something to do with permissions but I haven't been able to find any solutions.

Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

• Changed type Carey FrischMVP Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:24 PM Discussion
    Monday, September 10, 2007 12:37 AM

All replies

• Add me to the list on this one. I am a Vista Home Premium user with error 80070005 on Windows Update even with all firewalls and security turned off (not advisable I know). I have tried scouring the internet for solutions and tried removing the software distribution folder. Windows update just keeps reporting error 80070005 whenever I try to run unpdate.

DestroyerMTL I know how you feel and only hope someone is listening.

Help please!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:37 PM
  • Well I've spent 2 days on and off with MS support. The only thing that was able to remedy this problem was to do an in place upgrade of Vista with the DVD. Tedious yes, but it seems to have resolved my issues.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Sounds a little scary but I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice DestroyerMTL. I'll update this thread if this works or hang myself if it doesn't (thanks Microsoft) ~80)

Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:09 AM
  • It'll take you several hours and you will probably need to re-install any programs you depend on that have icons in the taskbar. I'm 48hrs in and it's all working again.

Good luck.
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Thanks DestroyerMTL The bad news the suppliers have created an image of the base install in a partition on my drive so I have no Windows Vista discs other than the standard upgrade your experience disk that ships with all Vista machines.

So if Microsoft were a car garage I could hear them saying, ah your engine has a small fault but if you get a new engine and put it in your car will work just fine. Of course it will but that's no small task when you have to re-connect everything to the new engine. I suppose their alternative would be to find an expensive garage to take a look at the engine but can't guarantee they could fix the problem.

If anyone has any other suggestions before I recover my laptop back to it's out of the box condition and try to re-do everything again (step by step checking everything and backing up in case windows update stops working again) I would be extremely grateful. ~8¬)

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:23 PM
  • After looking at my Windows Update Log file, it looks pretty much as if Windows Update is corrupted. Can anyone advise how to cleanly re-install Windows Update Agent on Vista?

Thanks

Monday, September 17, 2007 12:56 AM
  • I had this problem with my husband's laptop as well.  I had to create another profile and log on with that profile to do updates using Windows Update.  I agree, it is a permissions problem but I couldn't find it, and I know it's in the Local Security Settings but where, I don't know.  Try the profile remedy and good luck.  Aloha.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:31 AM
  • Hi

here is the solution.

CAUSE
    This issue occurs if one or more of the following conditions are true:
    • The DCOM configuration is incorrect.
    • Your user account is a member of the Guests group.
    • The security descriptor in the Automatic Updates service is incorrect.
    • The local security policy is incorrect.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps on client computers.
    Step 1: Verify DCOM security
    1. Click Start, click Run, type Dcomcnfg, and then click OK.
    2. Expand Component Services, and then expand Computers.
    3. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the COM Security tab.
    5. Under Access Permissions, click Edit Default.
    6. Verify that the following accounts are listed:
    7. If any one of these accounts is missing in the Access Permission box, follow these steps:
    a.  Click Add, click Advanced, and then click Locations.
    b.  In the Locations box, click the Local_Computer_Name, and then click OK.
    c.  Click Find Now.
    d.  Press CTRL, click the required account names, and then click OK two times.
    e.  In the Group or User names box, click an account that you added, click Local Access in the Permissions for Account_Name box, and then click to select the check box in the Allow column.
    f.  Repeat step 7e for all the accounts that you just added, and then click OK.

Step 2: Verify DCOM default properties
    1. Click the Default Properties tab.
    2. Verify that the following configuration:
    • The Enable Distributed COM on this computer check box is selected.
    • In the Default Authentication level box, Connect is selected.
    • In the Default Impersonation level box, Identify is selected.

3. Make any required changes, and then click OK.
    4. Restart the computer.

Step 4: Verify the security descriptor in the Automatic Updates service

1. Download the Subinacl utility. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&DisplayLang=enhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&DisplayLang=en

2. Double-click the downloaded file, and then follow instructions in the Windows Resource Kit Tools Setup Wizard. By default, the Subinacl utility is installed in the following directory:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
    3. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    4. At the command prompt, type cd C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools to move to the directory where the Subinacl utility was installed.
    5. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    Subinacl /service wuauserv /sddl=DSadA;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
    Note In a domain environment, this security setting may be configured by a Group Policy object. If the issue is only temporarily resolved after you type this command, a Group Policy object is probably configured. The domain administrator must modify Group Policy to include the correct security settings.
    Step 5: Verify the local security policy

7. Restart the computer.

Step 6: Enable user data persistence in Microsoft Internet Explorer
    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Security tab, and then click Internet.
    4. Click Custom Level.
    5. In the Settings dialog box, scroll to the Miscellaneous section.
    6. Under Userdata persistence, click Enable.
    7. Click OK two times.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the valuable responses. Sorry I haven't had time to try either yet.

I noticed when I checked though the instructions that subinacl is not reported on the download page as being for Vista. Are the above instructions suitable for Vista?

Step 1 point 6 says verify the following accounts but doesn't list any accounts.

Step 4 point 5 has a sad smiley on this page is it a colon then open bracket that has been translated. I will try one here anyway to test Sad

Thanks again.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:16 AM
  •  

hi im jay in camborne cornwall is see many have complained about this error and i was also suffering the same problem but i sussed it recently!!!this error is caused by the administrator account being disabled causing a access denied error meaning system wide changes cannot be performed as you will have insuficient rights to perform these changes even if your account is a administrator as its not the account used to perform the install of windows.you will be unable to perform updates from windows usually optional updates mainly hardware based updates.this is the cure are you ready?????
    open the program lusrmgr (local users and groups manager double click users right click administrator then properties then enable then close then log off switch users to admin then update enjoy job done please let me know if this fix works for you gimme a email to emailjayhere@orange.net  i is from cornwall i cant read or wroight but i cans driove a traker screw microsoft i gotta do the job for them lol cya
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:08 PM
  • by the way the other fix listed above mine is to complicated and wont work anyway mines easier cheers jay in cornwall

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 8:10 PM
  • Slight problem with this solution. I bought an ex demonstration laptop with Windows Vista Premium. The installer admin account was deleted and I only have administrator users. I have tried to create a new user with admin privelidges but this didn't work as it is really no different from the accounts set up.

Thanks for your assistance anyway and I hope this helped others.

I will probably need to sit and wait with the thousands of other users for Microsoft to fix the error they created when they tried to roll out update 381 in a non standard way. Windows Update should not require this level of security for standard updates.

A short note for the many people still looking for a solution. You are not alone. Although some people are finding fixes and you are not, this doesn't mean you are going mad. Microsoft created this error not you. I am confident they will do the right thing and fix it some time.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:48 PM
  •  

hmmm sorry it took so long to reply i think you could try updating your install by reinstallin windows run the disk from windows dont boot and use the update option might work or the only other choice is to do a completely new install which although annoying is probably quicker than piss arsein around with it all night then getting mad and stamping on it lol
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:20 PM
  •  

hi its jay in cornwall again could not be bothered to sign in if your vista recovery image is in a seperate partition and is locked use winrar to access it!!! then find your setup files and make a disk copy and paste dont cut!
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:00 PM
  • Hi Jay in Cornwall, I am in New Zealand by the way (since July this year). Never did get down to Cornwall but always wanted to. I did have an interview for the Council there once but something came up and I couldn't make it in the end. Anyway, back to our lovely Windows Update problem. Excellent advice. I hope it will work but I need to find the time (and guts) to try it out.

On a serious note I still want to ask Microsoft what you are doing to resolve this? Thousands of users must be thinking they have done something wrong but they have not. If you are looking at this thread thinking you are going crazy and you are one of a minority of users with a strange glitch, then you are wrong. You are not alone in this. Microsoft created a non standard update to Windows Update. Depending on the security in place on your machine this either worked or was stopped (by whatever security measures you have in place to prevent intrusion etc) mid flow because it was behaving like an irregular install. Once it failed, it left you along with thousands of users with corrupt installs of Windows Update. Some users have found ways to repair the damage but not one has been helped by Microsoft Yet. I still stand by you Microsoft as a good company and Operating System developer and am waiting for you to correct your error. All those that reply should remember to remind Microsoft that we need a formal fix. We might find solutions individually but remember there are thousands that are still lost. Just look at the view counts on some of these forums if you don't believe me.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 9:42 AM
  •  

hi its jay shame you never made it to cornwall you would love it anyway i agree with you this is another classic example of microsofts slack customer service.they are very good at creating problems but not very good at fixing them!!! this is just typical of them and to be honest windows vista has been a terrible problem for me anyway,i have solved quite a few issues i had with it like no voice on yahoo chat...fixed!!!! i have had many applications refusing to run such as the nokia software update god knows how many games its not what its cracked up to be at all. yea its got the fancy sleek lines but support and develpment has been *** and if they could make a linux that was as easy to use as windows i would buy it!!! by easy i mean all the same kind of things windows does for you that linux does not.i suppose they think that as time goes on you will 4get that old game that you loved playing but wont run on vista,that you will just wipe off months of work getting it how you like it and just format it,but i say why should you? maybe if everybody who has a problem with vista goes to there local trading standards office and says they want microsoft to pay for the recovery and the data restoration for getting it fixed and put back how it was they might fix it! we only have a few months to make a stand to microsoft before the year of it being out is over and this product is riddled with flaws bigtime

we have all paid well some of us anyway lol, for genuine microsoft products to benefit from updates and support if you cannot do these things then you are not getting the full product and that is the point where they come unstuck!

if anybody reading this and there are loads has a bad problem my advice is take it back to where you bought it get your money back i no its a pain but they will soon start to jump then and if you gotta wipe it why not get a nice new 1 in the box the deals are so good you may even get summin better for the money now the hype is over lol !!!

and even if they only offer a repair its still gonna cost em money to send it off, get a monkey to fix it, send it back etc screw em !!! let them waste their time not ours use your warranty its your power and they got no choice,a bit like us eh...at least they will know how it feels ha ha!!! mad aint it that such a series of *** junk can make someone so rich ! guess thats what happens with reverse engineering from area 51 but at least we got the sinclair spectrum the zx81 and the old vic20 and c64 lol cya

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:23 AM
  • Jay from Cornwall...your fix didn't work.
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 3:36 AM
  • I have this same problem, and none of fixes I've found on Internet are not working. So I'm waiting fix from Microsoft.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:01 PM
  • I have the same issue and cannot fix it. come on already, someone at MS should be able to come up with a fix.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:14 PM
  •  

Monday, December 03, 2007 11:08 AM
  • Was the last post a secret post from Microsoft coming to our rescue but too shy to say anything?

Monday, December 03, 2007 6:12 PM
  • Anybody figure this out yet, It's very annoying.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:13 AM
  • I am in the same boat!  This is nuts!  I am ready to downgrade to XP.  Has anyone figured out how to resolve this?  I have tried everything I cam across.  Now I think I screwed up my 'Administrator' account as well and when in User Accounts, when I cehck the Administrator account, the apply or set button gets grayed out.  I think I am really hosed up now.  Suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Saturday, December 15, 2007 2:30 PM
  • Well, I have patiently been waiting for Vista Serice Pack 1 and it has just been released for test to us Technet Members. Excellent I thought. First problem is that it's primary method of rollout is via Windows Update (bad sign). The good news was that it had a stand alone download version over 400MB. I downloaded this and guess what? When I install I get "An internal error occurred while installing the service pack. Error code: 0x80070005. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=101139 for details." Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:08 AM
  • This is ridiculous. I've tried everything and I cannot get the updates to work either. I got a friggin' Zune for Christmas and I can't even get that to work...
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:44 AM
  •  

Yeah, I got a message from Itunes saying if I unplug my iPod it will corupt and to download a certain update. And I can't get the update so I can't unplug my iPod.

And boy.... does that suck.

I really like how when I click on the "Get Help" next to the error code it takes me to a list of potential problems. Even in the search query it peforms of the error message it still doesn't find the one that corresponds to the correct error. I'm sure the next update will add lucky number 80070005 to the help guide and explain to me.... oh wait. That's not going to work either....

Shoulda listend to the kid instead of the old guy in the apple commercials.

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:17 AM

• I have also been getting the same message ... I have also been having on-going issue with vista having no ability to have a wireless connection... local only .. search vista wireless on MIcrosoft's home page and there is a nice thread. When will this be fixed? Should we all be given free access to XP? Fix Vista and let us at least use something that works...  I am  trying to install the  solution(?) the RC of SP1 but that does not even work. I guess we wait a few more months... ?  I have not seen a comment from Microsoft.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:53 AM
  • Hi. I have this problem too, and i think i found a solution. I'm checking it right now.
    it turns out that some strange permissions problem cause this and other problems.

the solution seems to be in this blog post. I'm still checking it, but i think it should work.

edit:
    It solved a driver access denied problem, so i guess it will work with the SP problem too.

Monday, December 31, 2007 4:00 PM
  • el.il  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  This worked like a charm for me.  I have already passed it on to several friends who are having the same issue.  What a life saver.

Friday, January 04, 2008 11:44 PM

• yes, its worked for me too, but i didn't do anything except search a liltle bit. I was looking for solutions since SP1 RC1 was released.
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:08 AM
  • Hi, I have just been to the blog post you gave and my windows vista = piece of (you fill in the blank) won't allow for any download of this program to my computer.

Furthermore, in the start menu, I don't have the RUN command avail to run the program from the site.

A admin access is still blocked to me.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Thankyou el.il, there have been other mentions on the web for use of subinacl but this blog actually provides a script that works. I would now fire a direct message for Microsoft and the valued user base.

I now know that this problem was caused by Microsoft. Let me repeat that to the 1000s of users that view these forums with the same problem, this problem was caused by Microsoft.

To be precise, the problem was caused by Microsoft trying to hack into the highest level of windows security on your operating system in order to install an operating system level update. How do I know this...

I have a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. This was an ex display model with the OS already installed.

Although I had admin accounts, the security account that was created when the OS was installed was deleted.

Vista has 2 levels of admin account to prevent hackers from tampering with the OS. Normal admin accounts that you and I can set up have ability to do almost anything in a secure and controlled manner but the admin account that was created when the OS was first installed is (sorry if I offend any religions) the God admin account that can do absolutely anything without need for security clearance.

Along came Windows Update 7.0.6000.381 and Windows Update stopped working with security error 80070005.

Why did this happen? Because Windows Update 381 needs the same rights as the God admin account to install, i.e. the same rights as a hacker would need if they wanted to mess directly with the OS.

Everything on the internet (and I have seen most of it now) points exactly to this and every solution that has worked has been based around giving Windows Update the rights to hack into the OS with no warning of the level of change that it is installing i.e. core OS not just definitions or patches.

Microsoft has been challenged before about stealth updates and refuses to answer to this.

Microsoft has not helped one single user with this issue as they are doing exactly what they say they are not - stealth updates and solving the problem admits the cause of the problem.

Service Pack 1 would normally help but this again uses the highest level of admin to fix core OS problems so people like myself with no God admin account cannot resolve this.

Forgot to mention that rather than resolving the problem, the only assistance I have seen from Microsoft is the suggestion to re-install Windows Vista. Guess what? That is sure to work as it will restore their back door into the OS.

I am an IT manager and have been for more than 10 years. When I buy an operating system from any supplier there is always a level of security that stops the supplier from having free run on the operating system and this is the God admin account. It is the first thing anyone secures. Microsoft has just broken the golden rule in my book and overstepped the mark from supplier to hacker. That is why a number of users have found that their Anti Virus Software has been getting in the way. It has actually been stopping Microsoft hacking.

All those that agree say Aye!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:40 AM
  • All you guys think that this is a Vista only problem,  I am having the same trouble with XP. It started at the same time as my Vista problems started.  This must be an update problem, I am going to try 'system restore' to before the trouble started to see if that cures it. I think Microsoft should do something for us, God knows we paid enough for it.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Thanks Burney, But surely this must be illegal?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:10 AM
  • I had this issue as well (error 80070005 when trying to use update in vista HP), in my case it seems the problem was a corrupted softwaredistribution folder, the fix that worked for me is below:

Stop update service:

in run type services.msc, go to windows update and right click select stop.

Rename your softwaredistribution folder:

Go to C:\Windows and find the folder named SoftwareDistribution and rename it to something else.

NB to do this you will have to first make it visable (folder options>show hidden files), you may also have to alter permissions on the folder (right click>properties>security and make sure your user account has the permission to alter the file), also uncheck the read only box, then apply

now create a new folder called SoftwareDistribution in c:\Windows

Restart windows update:

in run type services.msc, right click on windows update and select start

Now restart your computer, and try to use windows update.

This worked for, can't say it will for everyone, the fix is not mine - found it on a newsgroup but can't find it now so can't give the credit to the person that did come up with it

Also I've been qute careful about what updates I've installed now, only installing essential ones, checking the rest to see if they apply to me-most don't.

Hope this helps it had me tearing my hair out.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Hi all,

Same problem, 80070005. Can't update windows. I've tried everything on this thread.  I must say, I'm more than unimpressed with Vista, but even if I could be bothered to write 100 gig + of photos and stuff to disk, I didn't get a windows disk with this PC. Just as soon as I solve the windows-will-eat-itself hard-drive issue, this happens!

I refuse point blank to downgrade to XP because I've paid for this!

If anyone's got a fix that works I'll buy them a pint... no, scratch that, I'll buy them a CRATE (tesco's got an offer on :-P )

Hixx
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:38 PM
  •  

try doing a small system restore to the point before you deleted the administrative install account. these small system restores can do wonders!!
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:19 PM
  • Deepak:

I tried to do what you suggest, but I can not see, if it was there at all, the accounts I should be looking for.

I see, "6. Verify that the following accounts are listed:" but nothing is listed behind it.

I have three accounts listed there and all are now checked in both boxes below.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

HJ.

Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  aslkdjofg wrote:
    This is ridiculous. I've tried everything and I cannot get the updates to work either. I got a friggin' Zune for Christmas and I can't even get that to work...

U know whats weird, az soon az i got my Zune i noticed problems started happenin with the update. Sum1 think mabye the zune driverz are messin with this?

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:24 PM
  • You are my hero, and you make perfect sense.  I have called tech support since purchase with home vista premium and all I get  is re install  and now you've explained it so simply.   Aye!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:17 AM
  • Hello All.

The post made by "Jay from Cornwall" has a solution! It solved the problem on my machine.

This is how I solved the 8007005 update error:

Richt-click on my computer, select Manage.

Expand Local Users and Groups

Click on Users

Right-click on Administrator and select Properties

Enable the admin account

Hit OK

Then Log off (Not switch user) and log in to Administrator

Start Windows Update

..And your computer will get updates. This will _not_ allow you to get updates on your normal account,

you'll still need to log in to Admin in order to be able to get updates. Still, its helpful for those of you who

just want to get to download updates again.

Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Same problem with my HP media computer.  I was running great even had great ping with online gaming then, about four weeks ago I started receiving pings up to 8000 from under 300.  Same error code too 80070005.  I assume That money monger monopolizer Gates is just sitting back and letting this ride.  WHy fix this problem when so many may purchase an upgrade. 

Well to hell with you Microsoft.  I am seriously considering another operating system.  You're too manipulative and extremely inconsiderate to your clientelle.

Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Same problem with my HP media computer. I was running great even had great ping with online gaming then, about four weeks ago I started receiving pings up to 8000 from under 300. Same error code too 80070005. I assume That money monger monopolizer Gates is just sitting back and letting this ride. WHy fix this problem when so many may purchase an upgrade. Well to hell with you Microsoft. I am seriously considering another operating system. You're too manipulative and extremely inconsiderate to your clientelle.
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:15 PM
  • You might want to try drilling down in windows explorer, go to Windows/softwaredistribution, select control A, right click (to select all folders) and go to properties. unselect read only and click ok.

Try your windows update in Vista now....should work.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:21 AM
  •  

tried it doesnt workfor me
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:10 PM
  •  

Thursday, April 17, 2008 12:10 PM
  • Hi Jay from Cornwall,

Just tried your fix, and I can report, happily that it worked!  I'm way over here in California USA.  Getting help from someone so far away makes me appreciate my computer so much more than I did before.  I know they can be a pain in the arse, but totally worth the trouble.

I'm running Vista Home Premium and haven't found too many problems.  One thing I will share with readers is that I purchased my PC from Costco.  I know, I couldn't build it myself!  But Costco is a great place because of their Concierge Tech Support Services.  You call them and they deal with it, you don't call out sourcing, and if you have to deal with HP, then they get on the phone with you.  For people who are without outside help, this is a powerful tool. 

I never tried calling tech support on this issue, but they helped me with a bio's issue, which they took care of professionally.

Thanks again Jay from Cornwall, you did it!

Judyj

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Thank you so much poshby!! I tried several other things on this forum but your solution got the job done =D I've been really struggling with this for the past few days. My school uses clean access agent so I couldn't go online unless I had the updates. Thank you thank you thank you thank you!! <3
    Monday, April 21, 2008 2:28 AM
  • it was a good try but didn't work for me

Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:05 PM
  • I am looking into error code 0x80070005 (ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED) when it occurs while installing Vista Updates or SP1 Update or when it pertains to Windows Update.

If you have recently experienced this error (within the last week or two) would you zip all following files/directories,

%windir%\logs\cbs\
        %windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
        %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
        %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
        %windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
        %windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\
        %windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

And upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=2a1e309f-589e-4cf2-bc73-32d87135c9c3 using the password "4VC)%DxAde^-"? Please include your forum alias in the zip files so I know who it belongs to. This will help us greatly in finding the root cause of the problem and in looking for a solution.

Thank you.

Monday, July 07, 2008 11:53 PM
  • Has the problem with Error 80070005 been resolved?  I paid a technician to try and fix it for me and one month later the same error started up again.  I know it is a problem with my administrator rights being overridden, but I have no idea how to fix it once and for all...anyone know a simple non-technical fix?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:48 AM
  • This didn't work. Do you have another solution?
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Hey man..

It's been a long time since I have done serious desktop type support .. So I don't claim to know what the billions of entires in the registry actually do any more Smile..

However, suffering from this same issue, I searched through many postings like this and was in the same position as you..

Until I came across a posting on someones blog which instructed the following registry change..

Try this:

Change the value of the registry key UseWUserver (HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windowsupdate\AU) from 1 to 0. Smile From what I understand, if this is set to 1, it uses the custom server defined in WUServer and WUStatusServer.

Worked like a charm !

-Steve

Sunday, August 24, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Help, I'm getting this message when windows update tries to install HP - Bus Controllers and Ports, Display - HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor

Download size: 62 KB

Update type: Recommended

HP Bus Controllers and Ports, Display software update released in November, 2006

I am computer (challenged) user. So any Help would be appreciated

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:36 AM
  • Hi lorrainesman,

Can you zip up and upload the files I mentioned a few posts ago? They will help me determine why the update won’t install.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 5:56 PM
  • Sent...Thanks Michael

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:54 PM
  • I executed the above procedure, but it did not correct the problem.  The DCOM properties were correct (as far as I can tell from this incomplete post), the cubinacl command executed correctly, and user data persistance was enabled in IE.  I have also tried the earlier solution of stopping the update service renaming the %windir\SoftwareDistribution direcotry, recreating it and restarting the service.  I have also tried running update with the virus scanner disabled as suggested in another forum none of these has resolved the issue.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:43 PM
  • I tried to do a restore before I did my downloads and my computer will not allow me to do ANY restore points.  THis was all after the 80070005 error and error 643 that I got after trying to update from windows.

What a mess.  HOw can we tell microsoft about the problem so they can fix it???????????

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:16 PM
  •  

hi

thank you for your info on this really annoying error, I have been trying to solve this problem for three weeks now, i saw your post and thought i would try it and wowwwww, it worked everything i have tried has been a waste of time so a big kiss and a hug and a huge thank you, your a star .

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:08 PM
  • @lorrainesman,
    Looking at you logs, there is something interesting going on here. We’re trying to find the root cause and a solution for it. I’ll get back to you as soon as I know more about your issue.

@Ed Johnson,
    I’ve got your logs, thanks. I’ll let you know as soon as I find out what is causing your issue.

@delbirdy,
    If you can up load the files I mentioned a few posts ago I can take a look at them and try to find out what is causing you issue.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Hey Ed Johnson,

You case looks like it could be some corruption. Can you try running the latest version of CheckSur found here:
     X86: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en
    X64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en
    Please let me know whether or not this solves your issue.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:49 PM
  • Michael

CheckSur will not install, reports

Title: "Windows Update Standalone Installer"

Installer encountered error: 0x80040154

Class not registered.

so it doesn't solve the issue, since it doesn;t work - any alternative methods to install this thing, or is there a fix for this issue?

Friday, September 05, 2008 8:44 PM
  •  

When I try installing this update (Windows6.0-KB947821-v3-x86.msu) I get following: «ERROR 0x80070005 Access denied» and in system events I find «2147942405 Access denied». I can’t install any other updates from *.msu files.

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.

Ed can I get your logs? That should help me determine what the problem is on your machine.

ZabirovRF, can you upload your logs as well?

Zip all following files/directories,

%windir%\logs\cbs\
        %windir%\WindowsUpdate*.log
        %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log
        %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log (if exists)
        %windir%\winsxs\pending.* (if exists)
        %windir%\Performance\WinSAT\Datastore\
        %windir%\System32\winevt\Logs\application.evtx

And upload them to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=2a1e309f-589e-4cf2-bc73-32d87135c9c3 using the password "4VC)%DxAde^-"? Please include your forum alias in the zip files so I know who it belongs to.

Thanks,

Michael Giusty

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:25 AM
  •  Michael Giusty [MS] wrote:

@lorrainesman,
    Looking at you logs, there is something interesting going on here. We’re trying to find the root cause and a solution for it. I’ll get back to you as soon as I know more about your issue.

@Ed Johnson,
    I’ve got your logs, thanks. I’ll let you know as soon as I find out what is causing your issue.

@delbirdy,
    If you can up load the files I mentioned a few posts ago I can take a look at them and try to find out what is causing you issue.

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Have the same problem, when you answer her I would aprecciate as well lol

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:19 AM
  •  

HI, Eric, I have the same error with my monitor HPw2207. Did  you fix it?

I need your help asap

Pitty Aponte

Thursday, September 11, 2008 12:57 PM
  • No sorry I haven't fixed the problem yet, I,m waiting to hear back from Michael.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:18 PM
  • FINALLY

All of the above did not help me, but I finally found the
    solution:

You have to uninstall the display drivers AND the graqhic card drivers
    before reinstalling. The detailled procedure can be found here (2nd post from
    top): Updating Driver "Access Denied" - TechNet Forums

Good luck!

PITTY APONTE
    pitty@pittydesign.com
    www.PittyDesign.com
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:24 PM
  • Hi - I am hoping that someone can please help. My daughter is a freshman in college. She bought a laptop with vista hp to take with her.  Before her computer is allowed to connect to the internet from her residence hall, it is scanned by the school through "Cisco Clean Access" software. The scan process is looking for missing microsoft windows patches, viruses, and verifying that working up-to-date anti-virus software is installed. If it does not pass the scan then the computer is not allowed to connect to the internet until the missing items are installed. Well, my daughter's computer did not pass the scan and indicated that she needs to do a windows update. She has tried repeatedly to download the windows update but keeps getting the error code (i believe it is 80070005). The IT people said she needs the security patches from the update and will not be allowed internet access until she can download it. They have said that they cannot help her with this issue. She has been on campus since Aug 29th and cannot access the internet.  This is so frustrating as she has spent hours trying to get this windows update installed. The other problem is that the 2007 microsoft office disc the school provided for loading onto her computer is unable to load. She's been told it could be a compatability problem with Vista. Can anyone help??? This is a freshman living on campus without a working computer to access the internet or do papers etc. She is forced to go over to the library at all hours to get work done. Noone seems to be able to help. And, this is a brand new computer which cannot be returned because we are passed the 21 day return policy (believe me, we have tried to return it). Any advice whould certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:26 AM
  • @lorrainesman,
    I am working with some other people to try to solve your issue. Sorry I don’t have a solution for you right now. But I thank you for your patience.

@cejjk
    How is your daughter trying to download the update? Does she have any access to Windows Update? Often times, not always, running CheckSur found here:
     X86: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en
    X64: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493
    can solve this problem. I don’t know if she will be able to access and download it from her laptop but it my fix her problem with downloading the update she is missing. Can you see if she is able to install the above update? She can try down loading it from another machine and transferring it to her machine and running it. If that doesn’t solve her problem, if she could find a way to collect and upload the logs and mentioned a few posts ago then I would be able to better help. Without looking at the logs from her machine I can’t really offer any better advice at the moment.

Thanks,
    Mike

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:07 PM
  • I have tried eveything else on this page and nothing works, it is not affecting the performance, its just an annoyance, so I will wait patiently Michael and Thanks again

Friday, September 12, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for your prompt response. She is going to try this. She is going to try to download it to another computer, save it to a disc, and then install from the disc. I'll let you know how she makes out. Thanks, again.

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:09 PM
  •  

Mike,

I just started getting this problem yesterday.  I bought an HP w2207 monitor last week and yesteday Windows Update started trying to install the "HP - Bus Controllers and Ports, Display - HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor" update.  The update keeps failing with the 800780005 error.  I've tried uninstalling the monitor and display drivers and re-installing with the latest & greatest.  Still no luck.  I ran the CheckSur utility and it found no errors, but still no sucess in applying the update.

I've bundled up the files that you requested and will copy them up as you've requested.  Here's hoping that you can find something, because this is pretty annoying [:^)]

Dave

Saturday, September 13, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Same issue here... I agree with you Jay. Have you considered the best OS in the world, which is quickly becoming competitive with microsoft in numbers, while having been better since before Microsoft started? Unix/NEXT based MacOS X is what i'm talking about... and if you want a challenge with a pretty cool result, try installing it on your PC to try it out without ever buying a piece of hardware... do a search and download the "Kalyway" install dvd for amd/sse3 pcs... it installs PCEFI and then MacOS with minimal heartache and only slight modifications (already made, no need for user acrobatics). Only downside: some pci cards, sound, networking, and video cards dont have apple drivers, though many come with the DVD, and I've been able to make all 7 PCs i've tried it on completely work. Audio and Networking are the only issues usually, and most are supported, almost all are possible through a web search or exploring www.osx86.org. Additionally, some updates will screw with the modifications, so do a quick google search before you install version updates/security updates/graphics updates, as any needed modifications are usually made and released within days or hours of the official releases from apple. Of course, If you end up liking it, nothing beats a "real" mac, and any built after 2006 will run windows and linux natively (and, I might add, BETTER than a PC).

Happy Hacking! Wink
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Hey Eric and Dave,

Can you run this command from an elevated command prompt?

"Reg save HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} modes.hiv"

It will create a file called modes.hiv in the directory you ran the command from. Could you upload this file the same way you uploaded your logs?

Thanks,
    Michael Giusty

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Jay, how can I find the file lusrmgr?
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Mike,

I just bought a new HP with Vista two days ago and I also have the HP w2207 monitor. I'm getting this same error.

Have you found a fix for it yet?

I'll patiently wait for the fix,

Thanks,

Jeff  

Thursday, October 09, 2008 12:41 PM
  •  

Hi all.

I have resolved my windows update errors with Portable Update. Look at www.portableupdate.com

Bye

Rex

Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I've got this same issue as of this morning.  I have a Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Edition Premium which I purchased built by Dell in August.
    I did have to do a system restore after the last Windows Update as it caused errors with my sound and killed my McAfee.  System restore worked to solve that problem, but now this...
    I've tried every solution in this thread and some from other searches.  I've been surfing for about 3 hours trying to find a fix, NO DICE.  I'll zip my files and upload them per a previous post and see how that goes. 

*EDIT:  On a whim of hopeless desperation, I retried the solution linked to by el.il (at this blog).  Before I received several "failed" errors when trying to reset.  This second attempt only showed 4 "fails" and the Windows Updater is working now.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:44 PM
  •  

I have done this, but when I try to run the Subinacl utility, I get an error message that says, "This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." So, it won't install. What can I do?
    Monday, November 03, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Thanks el.il, it worked like a magic to me. I had the same problem ever since I installed Vista SP1. I was not able use WINDOWS UPDATE and used to get 80070005 error. I had this problem for more than 4 months and was about to Format my Hard drive.  I did exactly what you said and it resolved my issue. Thanks again for saving my time.

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Hi,
    I am another sufferer of the dreaded 80070005 error code.
    My problems started in October 08 and  have tried many solutions since then.
    Nothing works!.   Surely Microsoft is responsible to find the cause and offer a remedy.
    If an answer is not forthcoming soon I will probable switch camps to LINNUX.
    Any HELP would be gratefully received.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:00 PM
  •  

HI. I from Russia. beside me was a problem with installing the renovation because of mistake 80070005. I have disconnected antivirus and has rebooted the computer, then renovation was fixed. try DISCONNECT ANTIVIRUS!

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:08 PM
  • I had the same problem in the last month with Windows Vista update - would like to know how to go past that error message since my computer will not update now.

Thank you!
    Monday, December 01, 2008 9:02 PM
  • I too have had this problem. I had it once before and was able to fix it, but it then came back and as I went to repeat the process I used to fix it, the process would not go through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jake

Monday, December 01, 2008 11:39 PM
  • Hi Michael Giutsy,

hope you are still checking this thread. I've been having the same problem and tried 3 solutions in this thread, but none worked for me. I zipped all files you mentioned and tried to upload them to the link you posted a while ago using the password you provided, but it said no such workspace or similar.

can you post a new link where i can upload it to and then get your help with a solution.

thanks!
    sascha
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:24 PM
  • add me to the list of folks looking for a solution
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:25 AM
  • I just searched the dell support pages and came across the following link for free microsoft support with this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=1&gprid=6527

not an immediate solution, but at least you don't have to pay 60 bucks for tech support from microsoft.
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Hi,
    I hope al the 80070005 sufferrers are still reading this thread.

If disabling virus scan does not solve the problem then try the following.
    This worked like a charm for me on my Vista SP1 XPS Laptop.

I got the solution from Microsoft, as was recommended in one of the postings on this site.
    They were actually really quick in responding and suggesting the soution.  The problem does have to do with corrupted permissions in the registry.

Here are the steps to follow:

In Scanning process, we can use Permission Reset Tool in TC.

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
    4. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
    @Echo Finished.
    @pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location.
    7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
    8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Note: About some driver update installation procedure, we also received this error code, please reroute this kind of case to Vista System Team, because, it may regard for third party programs structure. 

Good luck!!!

Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Aaron Stebner's weblog has proven INVALUABLE to me. I don't post much, because I always find the answers and just execute them. Problem solved. Still struggling with the Vista SP1 permissions problem. Running Aaron's SubInAcl fix right now. We'll see what is does.

I swear, in 20+ years of using Macs as well as a PCs, I never ran into these kinds of problems once Mac OSX came out (before OSX, Macs could be a little nightmare too -- so many conflict issues!!!). Still have my trusty old G3 at home. Maybe I can talk my boyfriend into getting a Mac here so I'm not continually fixing registry errors (and that ^$#^% 80070005 error now) and all sorts of other errors on his HP with Vista...

Anybody else buy RegCure and is disappointed with its results? I'm thinking of getting my money back.
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Hi Hal,

Thanks for posting that. I actually received the exact same fix from an MS tech several hours ago. The SP1 installation seemed to be working at first. It got through Step 1 of 3 then quit. The computer rebooted and all the virus protection was back on without my re-enabling it, plus when I checked MSCONFIG again, everything had reverted to enabled. Hmmmm....

I checked the installation history from the Control Panel and Vista SP1 had failed again. Per the tech's instructions, I emailed her screen shots and a zipped file of my system info. I'm waiting to hear back.

Man, this issue is SUCH a pain. The fix seems to work for some people and not for others.

I had done a complete system reinstall this weekend thinking that may help (HAH!), but after that I had trouble reinstalling my webcam. I received the same permission error message, 80070005. After executing Aaron Stebner's very similar fix, I WAS able to reinstall the webcam, but no-can-do on the service pack.

Come on, Microsoft, get it together!!!!! Stop releasing software that's not thoroughly tested!!!!!

On the bright side, they HAVE been very helpful trying to resolve the issue. We'll see what happens...
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 8:38 PM
  • :(

Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Yes,
    I had problems with regcure too. It didn't do what they claimed it would. I have emailed them asking for a refund, but have not heard back.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Hi mike

I have the HP 2408h monitor, similar to the 2208 monitor others have tsalked about.

I get the same error which won't allow me to update the software for this monitor that windows update wants to update.

It gives me that error and if i try to ulpdate driver through device manager i get a permission denied error.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Daniel
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Ummmmm Hmmmmmmm!  And another one joins the long list.  I have an HP Media Center with an HP w2207h monitor and running Vista Home Premium.  I get the Error Code 80070005 when Windows Update wants to update the following:

HP - Bus Controllers and Ports, Display - HP w2207 Wide LCD Monitor

HP Bus Controllers and Ports, Display software update released in November, 2006

Published 8/18/08

HP Help had me create a new "Software Distribution" folder which worked for all of 2 days.....  I'm not very technical and need help.  I was totally overwhelmed with all of the "proposed answers" and really didn't know where I should start.  Any suggestions?  Microsoft, WHAT'S THE ANSWER?!!!  Preferably in laymens terms, please.

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:25 AM
  • Hello all,

Well, you can add me to the club. I also have the same 80070005 error. Windows update has not worked in over two months. I am using Vista Ultimate, and have tried many of the possible fixes, all to no avail.

JDN
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:06 AM
  • Hal, 

Just installed the fix you suggested - seems to have worked fine for me. Update ran fine, downloaded files, and installed properly. I'll post again in a few days to confirm. Thanks everyone, 

Drew
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Add me to the list of people with problems.

I have tried just about every fix (including Hal's) referred to in the this blog and others to no avail. In my case the automatically scheduled updates seem to still be working I just cannot do any manually inititiated updates (such as runing any .msu files). The other side effects I see are that I cannot manually scan for updates from the control panel (admin permission required) or view the update history (comes up blank). The interesting thing is that I can do these things whilst a automatically scheduled update download/install is in progress! I normally see the 80070005 error recorded in the %windir%\windowsupdate.log (make a copy of it to a temporary location if you cannot open it in notepad becuase it is in use).

2009-04-06 21:44:14:590 1208 15ec Service WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 80070005 for session 1

Windows update has been broken for me for about a month now.

I tried to open a free support incident with MS yesterday. But no response so far today and when I log in to check the status it says that I have not got any open incidents. So I guess they just bounced it without even looking at it.

This is potentially a major security issue if something has screwed about with the access permissions.

However I am not sure in my case if it is a registry ACL issue, as I ran procmon whilst running a little test program I wrote that uses WUA API to illustrate the problem and no "Access Denied" failures were reported on the registry (or filesystem or processes either). So it looks like the 80070005 error is something generated internally either by DCOM or by the wuauserv itself.

Roger

Friday, April 17, 2009 6:52 PM
  • ONE WORD: MACINTOSH
    Friday, April 24, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Hi,
    I hope al the 80070005 sufferrers are still reading this thread.

If disabling virus scan does not solve the problem then try the following.
    This worked like a charm for me on my Vista SP1 XPS Laptop.

I got the solution from Microsoft, as was recommended in one of the postings on this site.
    They were actually really quick in responding and suggesting the soution.  The problem does have to do with corrupted permissions in the registry.

Here are the steps to follow:

In Scanning process, we can use Permission Reset Tool in TC.

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en#AffinityDownloads

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
    3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.
    4. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.
    5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo Finished.
    @pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose "Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location.
    7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."
    8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Note: About some driver update installation procedure, we also received this error code, please reroute this kind of case to Vista System Team, because, it may regard for third party programs structure. 

Good luck!!!

Applied Call me Hal's suggestion of Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:25:08 AM. Seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks Call me Hal
    cwfox
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:32 PM
  • I'm so f**king fed up with Microsoft. Anything they can do to make a little extra coin...$60 for support? F**K THAT!
    This will just drive more people away from MS products, but you think they give a damn? NO! This is now a multibillion dollar company that could care less about it's clientelle.
    They didn't get rich by helping us fix our problems. They get rich by creating problems and selling the cure, exactly like the US GOVT and the pharmacutical companies that fund 'em. Same s**t, different **sholes. It's too bad though. I still remember when Windows was the best there was. Now they could give a s**t what we think of them. ..and s**t is EXACTLY what we think of them now.
    I especially like how they give spammers the access to send emails to all of your contacts and make it look like you sent it. Top notch.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Not sure if this will work for everyone, but this worked for me.  It appears that my user profile became a member of the "Guest" account, and since a member of the guest account cannot make system modifications, I kept getting the infamous 80070005 error while trying to run the windows update.  So i went under the control panel (I'm using Vista Ultimate), then "Administrative Tools", then select "Computer Management", then on the left, select "Local Users and Groups", then double click "Users" and right click on your username and select properties.  Remove the "guests" under the "Member of" tab.  Then Reboot your system.

Like i said, this might not work for all the 80070005 errors, but it worked for mine.  Hope it helps.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:32 PM
  • Tried Hal's and a couple of other suggestions in this thread. None of them worked for me.  I got update to works by right clicking on on Windows Update and selecting Run as administrator.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Thanks Hal, this definately worked!  It did take sometime to complete, but it was worth the wait!  I am using Vista Home Premium SP2, so yes to another post, this does work with vista!  Thanks again, jvalen81!
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:15 PM
  • All,

I tried many of the above solutions, and nothing worked.  I could see it was definitely a permissions issue--all my admin accounts failed to update Windows, and most of my Start menu items either disappeared, or nothing happened when I clicked on the shortcuts.  No Administrative Tools - FRUSTRATING!  Couldn't even check the event log until I went through MMC.  Anyway, I worked with Microsoft on it, and they were extremely helpful.  (They did not charge me - I went through their help site and used email.) 

Tried the registry changes suggested above, no luck, nor did the Windows Registry Fix Tool work.  FINALLY, they suggested I try doing an in-place upgrade.  I have Vista Home Premium SP1 so i was lucky enough not to have to uninstall SP1.  Phew!

The upgrade was painless, no loss of user configuration, no reinstalling programs, or anything.  All my issues are now fixed.  Afterward make sure you check for updates over and over till you get them all.

Here's what they told me:

The In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer.  However, it is recommended to first backup your important information and files to other partitions or other disks. Then please perform the following steps:

Turn off Windows features before performing an In-place Upgrade

================================================

1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.

2. Click Classic View on the left pane, and double click Program and Features.

3. Click "Turn Windows features on or off on the left" pane.

4. In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck all of the check boxes, and then click OK. 

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If there the "Windows features" is empty, this can be caused the system files have been damaged, please go on with the steps.

Now, let's perform the following steps to repair the corrupted files:

Please Note: A Windows Vista install disc cannot perform In-place Upgrade on a computer running Windows Vista with SP1.

Please follow the steps to remove SP1 from the following link if we use a Windows Vista  install disc:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537/en-us

If you are using a Windows Vista with SP1 system and got Windows Vista with SP1 disc, please go on with the following steps:

In-place Upgrade

============= 

1. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

2. Click Start and choose Computer.

3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.

4. Click Install now.

5. When we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows Vista without the key. Please choose to confirm.

6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows Vista.

Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows Vista once it is upgraded.

When the In-place Upgrade finishes please check the original issue again.

Monday, July 27, 2009 5:09 PM
  • I read you post and believe it would work on mine, however, I don't have the Windows Vista DVD, it's didn't come with the computer when I bought it, all I have is my recovery disks that I made.
    Any suggestions?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:37 AM
  • OMG!  I can't believe how easy this was.  I tried all of the other fixes above and still had the problem.  Removed myself from the guest member list and problem was solved!  Thank you so much.  The funny thing is that I really didn't think it would work.  I mean, so what if I am a member of all the groups on my laptop.  As long as I am an administrator, I should have unlimited permissions right?  Aparently not!
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Thanks Hal!

The fix worked - then I downloaded the updates - about 9 for Vista Business edition SP2. The download install started and most updates failed. The error was back again afterward. I re-ran the fix again and unlocked the update engine. This time I downloaded all tghe updates EXCEPT for KB961371. This time all worked flawlessly. The KB961371 was the oldest update and was a part of the last update in early July that started this error on my system.

KB961371 is Broken!

Thanks for your help!

Gill
    Monday, August 24, 2009 10:08 PM
  • I put in oem disc, i.e. vista home premium and ran repair windows. It ,my computer,works great. I had 75 updates! You can do full install,but you will lose all programs. Repair windows took about an hour,updates were longer. I hope this helps. mkalvin155
    Friday, September 18, 2009 7:03 PM
  • Hi Deepak,
      I am the getting the Error code when i try to install or uninstall any Hardware Device drivers.
    I am using an administrator Login Id which i created and then assigned Admin priviledge.

Can u help. my ID is sabya_sghosh@yahoo.co.in
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Here is what worked for me.  Making sure my account was also a member of the Users group, it was only a member of the Administrators group - Added to Users, update worked like a charm after trying all other suggestions, subinacl, reset scripts, etc.  Whew!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Hi all,
    You can add me to the 80070005 list as well. I only have the problem with the HP w2207 monitor update. It has failed ev ery time but other updates seem to go through without a hitch. As my monitor works fine, I am viewing it as a nuisance and adding a shortcut to this thread if it starts rejecting other updates. Lord help me if I actually have to resolve the problem like the others poor souls here, as the solutions seem to be hit or miss depending on each individual's  pc.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Hi Ludmantcr
    How exactly did you do that? I could use step by steps on that one.

And What would happen if I disabled "User Account Control" all together. I am the only user (an administrator) on this machine and I hate being prompted for permission all the time.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Error codes 80070005 and 643 were for the same error in windows update.

cure

go to the home for this website and enter the name of the update you got it on and you will be directed to a download page for the item. Download and install the update and windows up date will update itself and continue working as it is supposed to !
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:24 PM
  • I did not mean to imply this as an answer to the problem of code 80070005. The best answer is to use whatever is causing the error and input it in the search at this website's home page. You will be taken to a microsoft site where any aailable hotfix downloads will be available. This has always worked for me.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:38 PM
  • I ound 2 error code on 2 different user accounts for the same windows update problem. Error codes 80070005 and 643 for updating the same file. Put the error code 643 into the search at this site's homepage and it directed me to another microsoft website with available downloads of the update. You download and install the update and windows update will recognize the update and let you know your computer is up to date. Fixed both the 80070005 and 643 error codes at one time. Elapsed time for the fix less than 5 minutes.

I hope this is helpful for everyone. Microsoft tries to help, if you can find where they hide their help.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Microsoft, I have a problem......

You know that wonderful feeling when your computer is working well, what makes me appreciate that more is the dread I feel when something goes wrong, so....

Oct 29, 2009 I do the unusual and goto Windows Updates and check for updates, there are 2 optional updates, I select the "nVidea - Display - NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT" and run it and it failed with Windows Update Error Code 80070005.  I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit edition with Service Pack 2 on an HP9360f Intel Core 2 Quad, 8bg ram.  Up to now it has performed great, about 15 months.  I am running Windows Live OneCare and have updaes set to automatic.  I usually do not install optional updates, but the vid card updates are seldom and I thought important - stupid me.

Now it's like it's installed and I don't have access, I can see and uninstall in control panel, I have tried several times in Windows Update, then HP Homecare updates, and directly on Nvidea wesite.  Nothing works.  Everything else seems to work fine on the computer, other updates as well, except it shows "unknown device" for graphics and I only have access to one of my two monitors and the driver is a basic Windows vga driver.

I am quite disappointed, I would like to ask for your help before I consider a recovery.  I have tried a restore but it would only go back a day and it did not help.  I hope to avoid the nasty business of recovery and backup and then getting everrything back to the way it was.

Any help is appreciated!

Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:56 AM
  • KevinMTL: I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this issue with the "nVidea - Display - NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT" update. I wondered if/what I had done wrong. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium  64bit edition with Service Pack 2 on an HP9631 with an HPw2228h monitor.

I cannot install the update because "access is denied" - error 80070005. I cannot install or roll back the driver using the Device Manager either. System restore is no use. I've even downloaded the latest driver direct from nvidia but that also will not install. I'm left with basic vga graphics without 3D acceleration. Everything else works fine for me also, including installing other updates. Exactly the same problem as KevinMTL's.

Anyone got a solution? Access permissions on the nvidia driver file must have been messed up, surely? How do I get them right again? BTW, I am an administrator status user, so my user privileges aren't the cause.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Any answer received by you? 
    I am having similar problem; 
    I cannot SEARCH update because "access is denied" - error 80070005. 

This started after 1 Nov 2009 after I had installed update Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - October 2009 (KB890830)
    Installation date: ‎1-‎11-‎2009 15:49
    Installation status: Successful

I don't have a Windows Vista DVD. 
    I am running Windows Vista Home premium 2007 with serv pack 2 on Sony Processor Intel Duo CPU 
    T7100 1.80 Ghz / 32 bit Op Systm

And now??????
    Who will help me?

Warmly
    Jan Carel
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 12:59 PM
  • No replies!
    What to do?
    I have been without any NVIDIA driver for over 6 weeks because of a fault in the Windows Update and/or the updated NVIDIA driver delivered via Windows Update.
    Error 80070005 - access is denied. It just won't go away.
    No help on the NVIDIA forum either. Why the silence?
    Contrast the large amounts of help you get on any Linux forum - it speaks volumes about the advantages of open source.
    Rod
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:43 PM
  • subiancl at the above link does not support Vista.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Hi

it worked fine for me...
    you can run Inplace Upgrade in the computer..insert the dvd and choose upgrade..

Thanks
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Just to report that the issue with the "nVidea - Display - NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT" update has solved itself without me taking any specific action. I did not use subiancl because of the warnings about it on this forum and others.

I guess the NVIDIA driver update was modified sometime recently so that it installed properly. Whatever, it has installed now without the "error 80070005 - access is denied" issue. Now, after over four months with only basic vga graphics, I have an NVIDIA driver giving me 3D graphics. Hooray, but why so long for NVIDIA to set things right (if it was their fault).

Rod

Friday, April 02, 2010 3:30 PM
  • I have run the programs you listed later in this thread, but they both say they are not for my system. 

I have Windows Vista Home Premium, SErvice Pack 2,
    AMD Phenom 9550 Quad Processor, 2.20 GHz, 6 GB Ram 64 bit operating system.

I've not received an update for more than 6 weeks, and need to get this fixed. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread.

Monday, April 05, 2010 5:02 PM
  • I finally found the programs listed to download, but none had any bearing on my situation.  I'm still receiving the same exact error.  Someone said to run windows update by right clicking and running as admin - I don't have that option when I right click.
    Monday, April 05, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Just to report that the issue with the "nVidea - Display - NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT" update has solved itself without me taking any specific action. I did not use subiancl because of the warnings about it on this forum and others.

I guess the NVIDIA driver update was modified sometime recently so that it installed properly. Whatever, it has installed now without the "error 80070005 - access is denied" issue. Now, after over four months with only basic vga graphics, I have an NVIDIA driver giving me 3D graphics. Hooray, but why so long for NVIDIA to set things right (if it was their fault).

Rod

But, I just discovered that the NVIDIA driver has the same release date and version # as the one which was refusing to install. I suppose this means that the issue has gone away because of some automatic update(s) from Microsoft Windows or Symantec Norton.

Rod

Friday, April 09, 2010 6:26 PM
  • You can add me to the list as well... It's my wife's Dell Inspiron 1525 on Vista Home Basic that's the problem. Tried all the suggestions in this post and got nowhere. Any MSFT folks still watching this this thread?
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 3:49 PM
  • 1. Please open Internet Explorer and visit the following link to download
    the WGA Diagnostic Tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    2. Save the WGADiag2.exe file to Desktop, and then double click on the file
    to run the tool.
    After running the tool, please return to Windows Update and see if the issue
    is resolved.

Click here if you are unable to add solution

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:28 AM
  • I'd rather take the hp out back & shoot it. Put it out of my misery.

Seriously, that seems like a lot of brain pan use for updates that dl without specific offers of control @ the time of dl. Maybe I'm slow, but hp wants to dl goo all the time & microsoft is just as bad.

Can some 1 make a computer that stands alone & doesn't need 40 dl(s) a month? 4 would be acceptable.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:17 PM
  • TY for all the info, your fix seems do-able for me i'm a lite weight when it comes to software management...............hp     microsoft           burn burn burn !!!!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:19 PM
  • aye that seem a proper way ty cm
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Nothing works at installing moniter updates for Windows Vista that I have tried.  Is there a quick fix in overcoming Error Code:  80070005

Friday, July 02, 2010 6:53 PM
  • TeresaRoz,

Did you ever find a solution? I have the same Vista Home Premium, SP2 and I'm afraid to try any of the fixes above as they are for SP1. My laptop did include the SP1 disk but not SP2 and am afraid that if I insert SP1 it'll downgrade my system and I'll lose SP2. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Grace

Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Hal's solution worked for me (at least so far), just make sure you install to the Windows32 directory like he says.  You can always set a restore point and back up your registry.

Some updates in the update history showed status failed but I think that's because they were already installed (the previous update history had been clobbered earlier); anyway, it gave the current date as the install date.

I've had a few stops and starts getting updates going starting with a different error and set of circumstances, limping along getting basic critical updates because of the access issue.

BTW, Thanks Hal, you're the man!

Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Hal's solution is indeed the one!

I have spent about 20 hours searching the internet and Microsoft sites and trying one thing after the other.

Only Hal's solution (far above) worked.  Or, I should say, it got rid of the 80070005 error message and allowed me to proceed from there.  At that point, Microsoft took over by telling me I needed to download a new update program, and when I was unable to complete that action, they recommended I use the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [April 2010].  (I had earlier tried this, before Hal's fix, and it was not sufficient to fix my problem at that point.  Nor was downloading the new update program.)  The SURT fixed the remaining problems, at which point I could download the new updater and proceed to use Windows Update.

Yay!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Thank you Deepak Gupta.

I just did steps 1 and 2 and without even completing all the steps my Vista Home Basic PC FINALLY downloaded Vista SP1 without the error and it has now been installed.  :-)

I hope your solution helps others.  I know it helped me.  I am busy downloading a bunch of updates and I hope to be able to download and install SP2 after completion.

Again, many thanks.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 6:52 AM
  • I think I created my own problem by messing with file permissions, but here's what I did to fix it.

I went to C:Windows\Software Distribution and changed the file permissions which were set at Read Only.  I just unchecked the box.  I am now downloading and installing updates.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 6:34 AM
  • why wouldn't i want my administrator to be a member of guest as well as the rest of the groups, etc?
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:49 AM
  • Hey You Guys:

I had this problem raise its ugly head again awhile back.  I made some assumptions the last two times I thought I had fixed this problem but I think I've got it now.  Let's just say, I have no updates in the Update History that are listed as 'failed' and I'm up to date according to the Windows Update  utility.

I read someone's post today that pointed me at the CheckSUR log (its one of the text file logs in C\Windows\Logs\CBS on Vista).  Then I found this guy Raymond's blog who analyzed the errors in this CheckSur log against what the entries should be in the registry. http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/03/06/fix-blank-or-empty-list-in-vista-turn-windows-features-on-or-off-optionalfeaturesexe/

The log shows what caused the failure in Windows Update, in particular I think, the Windows Update Standalone Installer.  Raymond's CheckSUR log says the 'CBS catalog is missing', whereas mine said 'CBS catalog is corrupt', but the solution is the same, delete the registry entry because his has a '.mum' extension (whereas mine had a '.cab' extension) and the registry entry shouldn't have a 'file extension' appended to it you see.  As he points out, you won't see it on the key but you'll see it in the CheckSUR log.

I restarted my machine and then did the Windows Update.  Some but not all updates came in successfully (I thought, oh boy here we go again but there is some progress).  I restarted my machine again, at least one more time, basically, and repeated the Windows Update, until they  ALL successfully were installed (I don't recommend installing the optional updates and definitely don't do the optional languages unless you must).

I knew I'd hit 'pay dirt' when Windows Update appeared to have updated them all and asked me to 'restart' my computer so it could 'install' the updates!!!

If you wanted to look at the huge CBS log, you can, but I think what happens is that when there's an error, it writes it to the CheckSUR log (CBS log is enormous and will take awhile to load in Notepad) because I do notice that my CheckSUR log hasn't been updated since I fixed the problem (so the error still shows).

I recommend you make a backup of your registry before you delete the key and then once you've completed ALL the updates set a new restore point.  The Windows Fixit Center has a couple good utilities.  I ran a check on the system files and it fixed some registry entries and so forth. 

I probably should run a CheckDsk /f again because there were supposedly files it could not repair before this fix (I know, trust but verify, but somewhere I think someone said one of the outdated USB drivers could do that).  I don't recommend you going out to install any drivers direct from the manufacturer because I think Windows installs what its compatible with.

Just a side note, the general error I received before on Windows Update was 80070490.  When running the Update Readiness Tool, I got a 0x80073afc, "Resource Loader Failed To Find Mui File".  I've had some other errors depending what I tried to install and when.  You'll notice the CheckSUR log has some errors numbers of it's own.  What I'm saying is the error numbers may vary.  Anyone who has dealt with this thing knows what I am talking about!

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:00 AM
  • I was going to say something else but never mind...please see my previous post.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Deepak - in step 6 of your resolution above it says "6. Verify that the following accounts are listed:" but there are no accounts listed. My question is what accounts are supposed to be listed that we are to check for?
    Friday, February 25, 2011 7:52 PM
  • Thank you poshby for your post.My problem with Windows Update Error just resolved so simple with your advice.Thank you...
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Well I think I found finally found a solution to my possibly related error code: 8007370D. Every time I tried to find windows updates it just keeps searching and searching and nothing would happen. Finally I came across this link: 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/vista-error-code-8007370d-cant-install-updates/a3debcf6-6cae-4d54-af99-8c6cd9f30177?page=1&tm=1300091234293#footer

Their community star Jose seemed to recommend the correct solution in my case. His recommendation was to download and run the System Update Readiness Tool.  It does have support for Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Which by the way takes about an hour or more depending on how fast your computer is, so please be patient and let it do it's thing. Then I  restarted my computer, typed in services.exe from the start menu, restarted the following services - [Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Installer and Windows Update]. Then finally checked for updates and BINGO, it found a couple of updates! One for Defender and the other which is kind of funny but is the SAME Readiness Tool I just downloaded. Weird huh? Oh and after when the Readiness Tool was done it found like 700 something errors and repaired like 600 or so of them and made a log file of it in notepad.

Well either way I'm gonna ignore the same Readiness update and any other updates for a few days and see how that goes. I'm also wondering if maybe Microsoft was just having a busy weekend and other Vista users were having the same issue. Which could have been a coincidence that I thought the Readiness Tool actually fixed it towards the end of the weekend and Microsoft just so happen to finally free up their servers and or just simply release the Readiness Tool update automatically to the public. Hmm, who knows!

Well hopefully this might help anybody who's had the same problem over the weekend and if anybody could let me know if their windows update is now mysteriously working by itself I would greatly appreciate it. P.S. I'm also running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Good Luck Everybody!

Monday, March 14, 2011 10:13 AM
  • there is a picture that is blocking and mucking up the codes as follows:

Subinacl /service wuauserv /sddl=D(internet picture blocks the code here A SAD FACE)A;;CCLCS 

and from this point the code continues in the clear. Could you send me the correct entry so that I stop receiving the following errors "syntax errors inside subinacl argument"  to: yrachi@zahav.net.il

thank you for your assistance

Shlomo Yrachmiel Elias

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Thanks for this hint. It worked for me at Windows 7 x64 . Now I can use WIndows Update .

Regards cweberwnd

Saturday, May 07, 2011 8:38 AM
  • "Call Me Hal":

THANK YOU.  I was one of the original people who had this problem, because when I first searched the net about it a few months after I bought the machine in July 2007, I came up with nothing.  So after almost 4 years this problem is finally fixed.  I had actually relegated this particular computer to just watching DVDs and browsing the web because it had so many problems (Vista on 32-bit machine). 

So I found this thread yesterday and tried many things recommended but yours is the one that finally worked.  Windows Update dowloaded 160 updates last night, and every one executed successfully.  Looks like my computer is back in the saddle.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:39 PM
  • hay buddy i didn't  find "Local Users and Groups" any where in manage.

Kindly help me as soon as possible,so that i follow your method t tackle this problem

Regards,

Saturday, July 02, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Worked perfectly!  Thank you!

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:21 PM
  • i have the same error code as everyone else, I no longer can reboot back to the windows page, i no longer have my registry code for vista premium, i cannot do a system restore the f-11 no longer works to restore to a point i can get the updates  and my backup discs are not compatible. I had internet conectivity issues to start, then went to nividia and nforce drivers.

any help would be appreciated to rectify my overly expensive paper weight.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I am having this problem at the moment... I am trying Hal's resolution... as it seems to have worked for a few ppl so far... will keep you updated :) I am rubbish with this Tech Stuff :/  
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Sorry Hal, me updates still wont install... grrrrrrrrrrr... Pain in the bum this is... Does anyone have a recent solution to this prob? :)

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:29 PM
  • I just want to thank "Call me Hal" for the problem 800700005 fix he offered. It worked like a bloody charm! You can find it by searching on this page for his opening line, "I hope al the 800700005 sufferrers are still reading this thread. The registry redo yes, Hal, DOES take a long time, but it was a Godsend! Thanks again.

Rocky in Arizona

Friday, August 26, 2011 7:17 PM
  •  

Gigirex,

This seems to be a really good workaround if one doesn't have the time or energy to fix it the right way.

People, because this is not a nested thread, if you find a solution that works, reference the post that helped you, otherwise no one on here will have any idea who you are so graciously thanking and what works and what doesn't. And don't forget to click the triangle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all.

I have resolved my windows update errors with Portable Update. Look at www.portableupdate.com

Bye

Rex

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:04 AM
  • I don't understand how this worked, but it did! Tanx!!!

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  No more annoying error messages (",)
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:58 PM
  • I think I created my own problem by messing with file permissions, but here's what I did to fix it.

I went to C:Windows\Software Distribution and changed the file permissions which were set at Read Only.  I just unchecked the box.  I am now downloading and installing updates.

this worked!!!! thank you!!!
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:01 AM

I first tried Hal's suggestion, which helped many people above.  It did not solve the problem for me, but changing the file permissions as quoted here did resolve my problem.  Thanks for this suggestion.
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:19 PM