none
App Data - Local folders

Question

• Under AppData\Local there are many empty folders with names such as {00BE690D-2A90-4CE4-BD1A-D207D220FB8D}. What is the purpose of these folders and can they be deleted?
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I’d like to share the following for you about the Appdata:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx

We can see Windows 7 has a new User Folder which replaces Windows XP’s Documents and Settings. Within the new folder structure, Windows 7 has a folder called plain ‘Documents’, which replaces Windows XP’s ‘My Documents’ folder. The most important new subfolder is AppData. Also to maintain backward compatibility, Windows 7  has shortcut links to the old Windows XP folders such as Local Settings and Application Data.

Though I don’t recommend to do that with no experience in the case. Because, such action may cause applications can't work Properly . But if you mean the path \AppData\Local\Temp, I recommend that you may use Disk Cleanup to Clean your temporary folder.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:28 AM

All replies

• davsan,

Can you give a spefic path?

kind Regards
    DFT

IM me - TWiTTer: @DFTER
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 1:41 PM
  • A path like C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local?

I don't know their purpose, but IMO empty folders don't eat up diskspace. That said, if they're empty, I don't see any reason not to erase them.

Cheers

Rem

Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

I’d like to share the following for you about the Appdata:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx

We can see Windows 7 has a new User Folder which replaces Windows XP’s Documents and Settings. Within the new folder structure, Windows 7 has a folder called plain ‘Documents’, which replaces Windows XP’s ‘My Documents’ folder. The most important new subfolder is AppData. Also to maintain backward compatibility, Windows 7  has shortcut links to the old Windows XP folders such as Local Settings and Application Data.

Though I don’t recommend to do that with no experience in the case. Because, such action may cause applications can't work Properly . But if you mean the path \AppData\Local\Temp, I recommend that you may use Disk Cleanup to Clean your temporary folder.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:28 AM