none
Windows 7 Boot Error - Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Question

• Hi All,
    I Installed Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.1 yesterday on my Windows 7 Pro x86 and got this problem when it boots up I get the option to choose OS.:
    ====================================================================
    Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your langugae settings, and then click next
    3. Click "repair your computer."

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Then I tried to run the Windows 7 installation disk, I go to the cmd prompt and run the DISKPART
    diskpart
    list disk
    select Disk X    (X=disk where I installed all the OS, should be Disk 0)
    list partition
    select Partition X    (X=partition containing OSX)

Virtual Disk Service error:
    The pack is not online

and then i run the Bootrec /ScanOS, it came with 0 identified Windows Installations, this is why I come into the cmd prompt as I could not select the installed OS :-|

Any help WOuld be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

/* Windows Infrastructure Support Engineer */
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I assume that you have tried the following KB before posting. Did you?

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

It seems that the issue wasn't resolved even with repairing BCDstore. Based on my research, error code 0xc000000e indicates no such device, this can be due to incompatible driver. You may need to reload the hard disk driver so that the winload can recognize the installation disk.

Best Regards
    Dale

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Hi there,

when searching for the solution of my - well, maybe exactly this problem - I found this article.

Here is what I tried to do: I changed my harddrive (both 500GB, just much faster..) and used an Acronis Disc Clone Program for copying content. All partitions were copied quite fine. After trying to start Windows 7 again, it fails with the error (0xc000000e) and text like above. I also tried to fix it the "Bootrec -BCD Restore - way" - program told me it's fine, i found Windows 7 Installation and it succeeded its process.

Now, there IS a way to load some "harddisk drivers" but which drivers should that be? I couldn't find any drivers for my "Seagate - ST9500420AS" harddisk. How exactly is this meant to be?

I really appreciate your help,

Best Regards,
    Richi.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Im having the same issue - I thought I would try loading the harddrive drivers but they don't contain .inf files

which MDT looks for so no go on that. 

My image installs to the C: drive but bootrec fails to find a windows 7 installation.

Anyone?

Friday, July 02, 2010 7:17 PM
  • How about running these commands?

bcdedit /set {default} device partition=c:   
    bcdedit /set {default} osdevice partition=c: 
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:

Or, load up windows on the old hard drive, make a backup, and then run c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe on it.  Sysprep might mess up other things though, especially if you have multiple accounts.  Then save the image, and clone the new drive. The BCD is very finicky.

Friday, July 02, 2010 7:35 PM
  • Or, load up windows on the old hard drive, make a backup, and then run c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe on it.  Sysprep might mess up other things though, especially if you have multiple accounts.  Then save the image, and clone the new drive. The BCD is very finicky.

Could you use the above procedure on multiple machines (all the same)?  I'm looking for a simple way to role out new computers going forward with Windows 7.  Our current imaging software (altiris) is not cooperating with Windows 7.

If it is possible, how can I get it to ask for the license key each time?  With XP, we would run sysprep before uploading the image and there was a section for license key that we just left blank which forced us to but a new one in for each build.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Or, load up windows on the old hard drive, make a backup, and then run c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe on it.  Sysprep might mess up other things though, especially if you have multiple accounts.  Then save the image, and clone the new drive. The BCD is very finicky.

Could you use the above procedure on multiple machines (all the same)?  I'm looking for a simple way to role out new computers going forward with Windows 7.  Our current imaging software (altiris) is not cooperating with Windows 7.

If it is possible, how can I get it to ask for the license key each time?  With XP, we would run sysprep before uploading the image and there was a section for license key that we just left blank which forced us to but a new one in for each build.

Just google 'windows 7 sysprep' and check out the V2 version on how to make a sysprep answer file.  With altiris you might try Ghost instead of Rdeploy.  The BCD seems really bad compared to the boot.ini in Windows XP.  I think it actually stores the hard drive signature and the sector offset of the OS, instead of just 'drive 0 partition 0'.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:30 AM