none
Corrupt Win7 media library

Answers

• Hi,

As you mentioned, it can be the music file problem.

You can try recreating a folder, add this folder to media library and then move music files to it by batch. It will help determining which or what files are the problem.

You can also try the following steps to repair the system files:

In-Place upgrade (Repair install)
    ===========
    1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.
    2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, March 03, 2010 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:20 AM

All replies

• Tools - Advanced - Restore media library (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Thanks, I should have given a little more detail when I posted. Have been through all the remedies microsoft had to offer including yours.
    Have turned off the services, removed the media player files and folders and let it rebuild, uninstalled WMP12 and reinstalled, used sfc etc.
    No matter what I do I will still get a corrupt library when running the troubleshooter.
    Also, when I run media info changes, it does not work for one of the music library's.
    From what I've seen in the forums & net this seems to be pretty common for Win7 & WMP12.
    Using a HP ENVY, Win7 Pro
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Try resetting the media library manually:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the search field, and press Enter. The folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, rename the Media Player folder to something like Media Player old . If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders.
    - Start WMP, you should now have a clean library.

How exactly did you uninstall and reinstall WMP 12? With Turn Windows features on or off in the Control Panel?
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, February 22, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Thanks again Tim.

Yes, I have re-set the media library manually as you mentioned.
    Uninstalled & re-installed WMP 12 by Turning Windows feature on & off, thru Control Panel.

The only time the library showed up clean, (not corrupted), was before any music files were put in a library.
    I've come to the conclusion that it might have something to do with the information that is in one or more music files. Why ???
    As long as things work OK with WMP 12, I'm not going to dwell on what the troubleshooter reports for now but I'll continue to try to see what might be the cause.

Mike 
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

As you mentioned, it can be the music file problem.

You can try recreating a folder, add this folder to media library and then move music files to it by batch. It will help determining which or what files are the problem.

You can also try the following steps to repair the system files:

In-Place upgrade (Repair install)
    ===========
    1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.
    2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
    3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.
    If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click the Start Button, type Drive:\setup.exe in the start search box and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
    b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, March 03, 2010 6:32 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:20 AM