none
Cannot start XP Mode: > "Could not register the virtual machine"

Question

• The error message is:

Could not register the virtual machine
    "The vm could not be registered because the configuration file does not exist. You should create a new configuration file for the vm."

How do I do that? When I right click on it and select Settings the new error message appears:
    Virtual Machine not found.
    "VM with name Windows XP Mode doesn't exist"
    and Settings window is not displayed!

I did not change vhd disk location nor its title.
    It is still in the same folder as before.

jas

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:25 AM

Answers

• You are missing the .vmc file. If you go to "C:\Users\vinodata\Virtual Machines" folder and view content of related .vmcx file you can see the vmc file which VPC is unable to find.
    Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:15 AM

All replies

• You are missing the .vmc file. If you go to "C:\Users\vinodata\Virtual Machines" folder and view content of related .vmcx file you can see the vmc file which VPC is unable to find.
    Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:15 AM
  • That is not correct.
    I do have .vmcx in that folder.
    Here is the list of files:
    Windows 7.vmcx
    Windows XP Mode.vmcx
    Windows XP Mode1.vmcx
    Windows XP.vmcx
    Windows7.vmcx
    WinXP.vmcx
    XPMode_reuse.vmcx

Windows XP Mode1.vmcx is a copy of Windows XP Mode.vmcx before I started playing with settings.
    Also I made a copy of Windows XP Mode.vhd disk but I cannot use it anymore.

This is the second time I lost my vm in last 10 days, but for 2 different reasons.
    This time I lost that disk I think because I tried to follow your advise from the different threat.
    I made it read only and played with some settings trying to make it a parent disk.
    But what bothers me, before doing any changes I made a file copy of that disk.
    And that also does not work!

jas

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:37 PM
  •   Please read Vinod's post again. He did not say that you were missing the .vmcx file. He said that you are missing the .vmc file. 
    Bill
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:33 AM