none
Change Desktop Fonts From White to Black Text - Windows 7

Answers

• How do I change the white font display under the desktop icons to black in Windows 7?

This cannot be changed, unless you use a third party theme.

The Desktop fonts are dynamic and designed to always be visible. This is necessary because of the varying color of a typical desktop background.

If you select a black icon and you have a desktop wallpaper that has very dark areas, those black fonts would become completely invisible.

The default white desktop icons display a 'shadow' around the letters. The visibility of this shadow will appear to change, depending on the background color where the fonts are located. On a darker background you will not see the shadow and on a lighter background the shadow will appear darker. This will make the fonts more visible, regardless of what color the wallpaper may be.

You can test this effect by moving a desktop icon over a very dark area of the desktop and then moving the same icon over a very light area of the desktop.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:38 PM

All replies

• How do I change the white font display under the desktop icons to black in Windows 7?

This cannot be changed, unless you use a third party theme.

The Desktop fonts are dynamic and designed to always be visible. This is necessary because of the varying color of a typical desktop background.

If you select a black icon and you have a desktop wallpaper that has very dark areas, those black fonts would become completely invisible.

The default white desktop icons display a 'shadow' around the letters. The visibility of this shadow will appear to change, depending on the background color where the fonts are located. On a darker background you will not see the shadow and on a lighter background the shadow will appear darker. This will make the fonts more visible, regardless of what color the wallpaper may be.

You can test this effect by moving a desktop icon over a very dark area of the desktop and then moving the same icon over a very light area of the desktop.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:38 PM

• The answer is simple:

- Start Menu |Control Panel | System : In the System Properties window, under the advanced tab, click on "Settings in the Performance Row.
    - In the Performance Options Windows, scroll down and uncheck the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop". Click Apply, ok and close the window.
    - Start Menu | Run | desk.cpl
    - in the Display Properties windows, under the Appearance tab, click on Advanced.
    - by default it should be pointing to Desktop if not, select Desktop from the drop down menu and choose a matching color to your desktop image.
    - click Ok, Apply, ok and now your Desktop Fonts should be a dark color in contrast to your light colored background IMAGE.

Source:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t71297.html
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Thank you!  Thank you!  I have been searching on-line for 30-minutes for a solution to this problem.  I like a pale yellow solid color background and I was unable to see the icon titles.  Microsoft is wrong if they think those white shadowed letters show up on a light background.  Your solution worked perfectly!  I now have black letters.  Thank you for taking the time to post a solution. 
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:13 PM
  • I was able to do the first of the two steps. When I do Start-Run-desk.cpl there is no Appearance Tab and clicking on "Advanced Settings" does not bring up anything like what you describe.

When you say "it," what are you referring to?  I happily had black lettering on older machine with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Now I have new machine with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Friday, March 11, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Sorry but...

When i try to do that i get as far as the desk.cpl screen.  It shows no "Display Properties" tab [hence no Appearance, and no Advanced, so i never get to the "pointing at desktop" part, whatever that is.

When i had XP i hated its color picker/adjuster, for its inconsistency and grotesque indirectness.  W7 is even worse.  I want to use Aero [W7's only plus!] but i get white text on white menus.  ARG!!

W7- prettier than XP but otherwise....

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:54 PM
  • To get to the 2nd part, you can go another route: Right click on the desktop, choose "personalize", then select "Windows Color" at the bottom, then select "Advanced appearance settings".

Then, you will have the "Desktop" first item, - play with its color and the font color will change accordingly.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:15 PM